Sand not stopping car

  • Thread starter Thread starter rickykaka3
  • 24 comments
  • 2,011 views
Messages
312
Malta
Siggiewi
Messages
rickykaka3
I noticed that if you go out of track and go on the sand the car will not stop but keep a constant speed,how's that real?
 
It will slow you down a little but not a ton. However, if you stop and try to accelerate, it's very tough.
 
I noticed that if you go out of track and go on the sand the car will not stop but keep a constant speed,how's that real?

I've noticed that too. Seems the "kitty litter" in GT 6 doesn't slow you down as much as it did in GT 5. Seeing as how I've never plowed a high performance car off a trac and into the stuff in real life, I don't know how realistic or not this is
 
Hmm .. Sand in willow spring, rally track or gravel traps ? I noticed that grass is very slippery. If you touch it with some speed then basically you are passenger and loose lots of time
 
Effectiveness of gravel traps has been debated in real world racing too. Schumacher at Silverstone comes to mind.
 
When did you perform the compaction test on this sand?
 
I too have noticed it almost seems like you pick up speed off track in grass, however I know this to be true in the infield sections of major Nascar tracks, it is very slippery on grass. Sand itself seems to be more grippy in GT5 then in GT6 but in GT6 although you carry more speed through the sand you can also get going again with similar ease as GT5. In real life you'd probably get stuck 60% of the time you end up there.
 
Whenever I go off, I just hold the handbrake and it slows be down pretty quickly.
 
Have you's ever noticed that you might have the grip setting on low?
This reduces the effectiveness of the grass and sand slowing your car down while off track. It basically gives the car an unrealistic grip while off and on track.
Set it to real and you shouldn't have this problem
 
It used to be ridiculous* in GT5 so this is a welcome change for the better.

*you could go flat out towards mulsanne corner at 400 km/h, slow down in the little sandtrap on the left, and make the corner.
 
The sand is definitely different, I barely loose speed while taking the Sarthe chicane shortcuts. In GT5 you could loose control easily if you were not careful. Not actually recommending anyone to take the shortcuts... unless you are in a hurry.
 
Try going through the sand in a kart. :lol: You have absolutely zero steering.:lol: At least that's how it is at Willow Springs.
This sounds about right. Brands Hatch: first corner, if you go off... if you can turn at all, you're special until you slow down to like 20mph.
 
I feel like it's different depending on the ride height of your car
 
I like it how it is. If you look at high speed accidents, sand barley slows the car down since it'd just skimming across the top. But then there is the other end(which it's in GT)where you can dig in and flip.
 
I too have noticed it almost seems like you pick up speed off track in grass, however I know this to be true in the infield sections of major Nascar tracks, it is very slippery on grass. Sand itself seems to be more grippy in GT5 then in GT6 but in GT6 although you carry more speed through the sand you can also get going again with similar ease as GT5. In real life you'd probably get stuck 60% of the time you end up there.

When you go off track in a graveltrap the throttle limmiter comes to play.. like a tough TCS, without it you would probably just spin deeper into the sand and get traped.. Allthough even with TCS irl you would probably get trapped too, remember this is a game and Im sure the drivers irl would love not to get stuck in the sand like us lol wouldnt probably be that fun for the majority of gamers to end their game on the last turn during 24min of le mans becouse of a sandtrap :p With it we could or should also have engine fault etc. wich imo would be pretty cool!
 
The sand is definitely different, I barely loose speed while taking the Sarthe chicane shortcuts. In GT5 you could loose control easily if you were not careful. Not actually recommending anyone to take the shortcuts... unless you are in a hurry.

Sometimes for a race in a career mode i use some shortcuts and like in la sarthe if you go over the sand nothing happens. Maybe in career mode the grip is set to low and not real.
 
Sand bunkers in La Sarthe are a good better cheat now. Tested and it worked. :(
 
The sand at willow springs is ridiculus... especially at the last corner!
You can easy drive there with the speed the others have on the street... seems to me that the grip option under trackoptions isn't set to realistic.
 
I think he means is the sand compacted, or packed down (hard) or is it extremely loose and deep? There would be huge differences depending on that
 
If you go on sand just keep full trothle. Sands give you'r better grip than tarmac on track. Very usefull sometimes.
 
I think he means is the sand compacted, or packed down (hard) or is it extremely loose and deep? There would be huge differences depending on that

Yeah that's true, I thought he was having a go at the OP for not supporting his claim or something
 
Today I was driving in grand valley and gravel traps really do slow you down there
 
I thought it was obvious that the grip level isn't set to realistic, just like how it isn't for wet tracks. If/when the option is restored for Arcade mode, we'll have a better understanding.

Edit: Actually, I see Arcade does have the option now. Anyone tried the difference between the two settings?
 
Last edited:
Back