Scaff's Gallery

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 200 comments
Ohhh any chance of sharing the filter set-up.

:)

Scaff

Currently I'm using Alien Skin: Exposure it's a film replicating plugin for ps.

I'm not the hugest wiz in ps so I don't really know how to check all data for the filter setup, however here is a screen shot of the program in action, those are the settings for Velvia film replication.

They have a 30 day demo of it, so I'm downloading that right now.

Should give me all the settings I need, if not I will have to try and convince work that they really do need to buy it for me.

Scaff

Thanks AMG - I will certainly take a look.

Cooking again

Fuji S2Pro w 18~55mm
1/60@f27 with SB22 Speedlight

Enoki Miushrooms which are going in Yasai no niku maki (Vegetables and mushrooms wrapped in Pork).

Regards

Scaff

I'm back from Holiday and have a huge number of pictures, so this is just a few (more to follow and a lot more on Flickr and Facebook).

Stopped here...

...a small cottage just outside Bideford in Devon.

Lots of wildlife in the garden, good landscapes and a wildlife park were part of the week.

Regards

Scaff

Beautiful shots here. Simply gorgeous. My favourites are the second, third and the Owl. Fantastic lighting, especially on the second photograph. And good detail for the Owl shot. Amazingly close.

Thanks LBX

The second shot (Ilfracombe Chapel and Lighthouse) is one of my favorite I took in the week away, the Owl was taken at Coombe Martin Wildlife Park and the birds were out before a show and I was able to get quite close to them. I have quite a few more of the other hawks I will put up when time permits.

The third shot was taken from the car park of the Wildlife park, just after we arrived.

Ta

Scaff

The second shot and the owl are my favourites too. I love bird photography. Actually, it's prompted me to find some of my own to add to my gallery.

They are all great 👍
The second shot and the owl are quite amazing, and they are my favourite, but the last one is quite intriguing also 👍

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the second shot and the owl ones are by far the best but really they all are nice shots.

Looks like it would have been a nice relaxing holiday. 👍

The lighthouse is a lovely shot. The only thing that would have made it better would be those pesky clouds being to the right, so the tower was backing on to the sky.

The owl shot is a nice, but I reckon that if you added two stops of ISO and a stop of aperture (for F/8, 1/300s ISO 400) it would have sharpened up the feathers around the eye. I only say this because until I got the 1d III, I seemed locked to ISO 100 and missed shots because of it.

The lighthouse is a lovely shot. The only thing that would have made it better would be those pesky clouds being to the right, so the tower was backing on to the sky.
I did try will-power to get them to move, but to no avail. Shame, still quite happy with how it came out.

The owl shot is a nice, but I reckon that if you added two stops of ISO and a stop of aperture (for F/8, 1/300s ISO 400) it would have sharpened up the feathers around the eye. I only say this because until I got the 1d III, I seemed locked to ISO 100 and missed shots because of it.
Ah I was however also having to balance taking pictures with it being a family day out and the tribe can get a bit restless when you start fiddling to much with the camera.

On a related note here are a few of the others of the Owl's friends.

Regards

Scaff

I very much like the last two, and the first one. Those closeups are very well done.

I'm a sucker for birds of prey. Gorgeous creatures.

Now I really do want to go to zoo. ^^;

I did try will-power to get them to move, but to no avail. Shame, still quite happy with how it came out.

Pfft. Didn't try hard enough! It's a really nice picture anyway.

Ah I was however also having to balance taking pictures with it being a family day out and the tribe can get a bit restless when you start fiddling to much with the camera.

You're preaching to the choir here. I know all about that. It's as much as I can do to get them to stop and wait at all. For anything.

On a related note here are a few of the others of the Owl's friends.

Very nice. I like the motion blur on Mr Flappy, and the DOF control is excellent on them all.

Very nice set, I am a big fan of animal photography, being birds one of my favourites.

A pity, the third one is in a silhouette-like position, making the bird mostly dark (as it already as a dark fluff), not bringing much of the detail like the corner of the eyes and the contrast between the fluff itself.

The others have a real nice feel to them and a great composition 👍

Mr Flappy was very happy to be photographed and had a position in the sun so was quite active (and a bit of a show-off I suspect).

Very nice set, I am a big fan of animal photography, being birds one of my favourites.

A pity, the third one is in a silhouette-like position, making the bird mostly dark (as it already as a dark fluff), not bringing must of the detail a person is expected to see, like the corner of the eyes and the contrast between the fluff itself..

The others have a real nice feel to them and a great composition 👍
That particular bird was rather shy and not easy to get a good angle on, a bit of fill-flash would have done the job, but no way was I going to do that when I was that close to some rather sharp claws.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will try and put some more up from the other animals at the wildlife park a bit later.

Regards

Scaff

Few more from my holiday, these were taken in the garden of the cottage.

These final three are from an Anchor on the harbour wall at Appledore, which the seagull from one of the earlier shots was sitting on.

Comments and feedback welcome as always.

Regards

Scaff

Some great shots yet again. The raptors are all awesome. I tend to agree that the 3rd shot is too dark but the others are great.

The 4th shot in the next set is fantastic as well. Great vibrant colours.

The last two anchor shots are great as well. Very moody and a little artsy as well 👍

Thanks for the feedback Syntax, and its good to hear that I managed to get the moody nature I was after with the anchor shots.

On another note one unwanted holiday gift I got was a huge amount of dust (mainly pollen from the cottage garden I think) on my sensor and it was starting to get beyond a joke getting rid of it in PS.

Not wanting to pay the quite frankly silly prices that retails want to wet clean a sensor, I bought some Digipads and E2 sensor fluid and did it myself.

In all honestly the hardest part was working up the nerve to actually do it, the actual cleaning process took seconds and the end result was a spotless sensor. Very happy with it, particularly as £15 including postage is lot cheaper than a shop sensor clean.

Regards

Scaff

Very nice set of pictures. The garden of the cottage pictures are my favorite, excellent light, excellent composition, they are really great.
The anchor is really cool as well, great position on them all and great overall mood.

I am just not so sure about the vignetting, seems a little forced, especially in the second picture. Other than that they are great 👍

Very nice set of pictures. The garden of the cottage pictures are my favorite, excellent light, excellent composition, they are really great.
The anchor is really cool as well, great position on them all and great overall mood.

I am just not so sure about the vignetting, seems a little forced, especially in the second picture. Other than that they are great 👍

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually wanted a heavy look to the vignetting on the 2nd and 3rd anchor shots, I know its not to everyones taste, but It matched the mood I wanted for these two.

Glad you like the garden ones however, they actually required very little work at all, and apart from a re-size and sharpen are pretty much how they came out of the camera.

That garden was just a great source of shots.

Also another couple from the same place the anchor one was taken.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks.

It was cropped as wide as I could without including anything else in the frame, so it's achieved exactly what I was going for with it.

I've also just ordered a new (second-hand) lens, should have my hands on a 50mm f1.8 within a day or two. Working out as 75mm in old money for the focal length it will serve as a great portrait lens. I used to love the 85mm f2 I had with my 35mm Canon kit, so this will make a nice replacement.

Regards

Scaff

Nice choice with the 50mm f/1.8, Quality lens, there is really no need for the f/1.4 or the newer AF-S version of the lens, ive just gotta find the money to order one, even though ive used my freinds many times

you wont regret it

I'm looking forward to getting it 👍

Grabbed this shot at the weekend, I had to be quick as he didn't hang around long, so couldn't do much about the distraction in the foreground (which is a part of the water feature he lives it at my in-laws house) and had no time for another shot before he was back in the water.

Fuji S2 Pro. Nikon 18~55mm. 100ASA. 1/60@f5.6 with fill flash.

Not the best shot, but not bad and after all frogs are great.

Scaff

Last edited:
Got back from work today and my new (S/H) lens has arrived.....

NIKAF5018D.jpg

.....and rather lovely it is too.

Just as impressed with the price I got it for as well, £78 including postage is a great price, more so when its from a dealer. Honestly I've seen poor examples go for more than that on e-bay.

Hat's off to Gray's of Westminster for a first class service and a great price for a lens that is to my eyes in perfect condition (they graded it as EXC++ - two down from mint).

Strongly recomend them to any Nikon owners around (they are Nikon exclusive).

Regards

Scaff

Lens test with my new 50mm

Fuji S2 Pro. Nikon 50mm. 400asa. 1/30@f1.8

Very happy with my new toy.

Scaff

Thankfully the foreground is not too distracting on that frog snap. Nicely done, I can appreciate how hard it can be to take a good shot of animals (especially frogs), they don't respond to commands on positioning very well :lol:

Oh and that lens seems like an absolute bargain. 👍

Back