SCC Old Timer Event - 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS4 Spyder - Sun, Jan 17 - 20:00 GMT

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjaisli
  • 147 comments
  • 9,199 views
:crazy:I have nothing against rolling starts but... I really don't see this working on the event...
 
Are you sure about this ???? From all I knew, the grid is always formed taking into account the finishing positions from the last race and the last race alone (not the "lobby standings") :odd:

ARGH :ouch: I meant to test this last night just to make sure it worked as planned and totally forgot. :dunce: Hopefully this weekend sometime.


Hey, now you know what it's like for us - 6 months of the year!

Tell me about it--another 2-3 inches this morning here in the Ramapos. And just in time for the AM commute (on top of what's already there)


People have to drive slowly & not try to gain position for the first lap or so. I made a very conscious effort to do this in the last two races & things ...


Watch 0:53~0:58 :sly: Sure you did. :)


...we wold have to do the roling start without headset suport, but thats not a big problem, a little more disciple and the job is done.

:lol: Let's see. Last time during the slow speed formation lap we had 2 spin outs, at least 3 collisions and at least 3 people DSQ. I think we'd need at least 3 practice runs to get it right. And I'm just afraid I can already see the slew PSN messages from here:

- Driver X bumped me at the start.

- Driver S didn't give me any room.

- Driver T started accelerating before the car in front did.

- Humph, I was bumped at the start and punted off before the field started racing.

:lol:

The thing is, I'm sure this would work in a smaller lobby of 5-6 guys. But of course with a lobby that size there's really no need to do the rolling start. I'd like to give it a try at some point but I just have my doubts.
 
Watch 0:53~0:58 Sure you did.

Ok, so I passed you - you can't expect me to hang around for all the slowpokes. ;) Hard to be sure, but looks like the Dr. nudged you against the barrier & I took advantage of the space to pass you. Obviously, I couldn't have slowed down to let you in, or I would have been rear-ended by someone behind me.

EDIT: now I see what's going on (I think?!) - you lose traction coming out of the hairpin & I accelerate past you (slow in, fast out) on the straight (well, straightish bit) - looks like a legit passing opportunity to me?

The problem is, in SCC (or any other game) you cannot safely pass in a crowded field (which would presumably be possible IRL) because you have no peripheral vision to judge where the cars around you are - you can generally only pass safely one-on-one where you have a reasonable idea of exactly where the car you're passing is. It's quite noticeable that whenever we have more casual races with 4, 5 or 6 cars there is far less contact.
 
Last edited:
Ok, so I passed you - you can't expect me to hang around for all the slowpokes. ;) Hard to be sure, but looks like the Dr. nudged you against the barrier & I took advantage of the space to pass you.

:lol: 👍 Seriously, the pass was fine. I just find it somewhat amusing every time you make a statement lately...well...never mind. :)

FWIW, what actually happened was Shaggy and I went into that corner at the same time, neither of us on an ideal line because we were giving each other room and both of us had our pace going up the hill compromised as a result. And Stoner took the opportunity to pass up the outside, which was also fine. But at a certain point up that hill there's a kink and the road narrows and well, let's just say, somebody has to come out the loser. :lol:
 
The problem is, in SCC (or any other game) you cannot safely pass in a crowded field (which would presumably be possible IRL) because you have no peripheral vision to judge where the cars around you are...

I always use the standard cockpit view, so there are no useful mirrors and the rear view is quite obstructed most of the time. This is why the 'Split Time' thing is priceless. Depending on the current speed, if the gap is less than around 0.3s, I make sure to try and always be aware where that car is. If the gap is less than around 0.1s, I treat it as being alongside, and I try to look around with the look-left/right if necessary. Looking left and right is very difficult around corners, even a flat-out one like the Grande Curve at Monza, because you immediely lose your barings.

But yes Simcoe's point about a crowded field - In the previous event at Spa, coming away from the grid I got the jump on several cars in front, but I chose not to swerve out to the middle as it's just taking a risk; no way to be sure you have enough space with so many cars around. And give it was lap 1 (or not even lap 1 yet!) of 20, it was the right decision.
 
Seriously, the pass was fine. I just find it somewhat amusing every time you make a statement lately...well...never mind.

FWIW, what actually happened was Shaggy and I went into that corner at the same time, neither of us on an ideal line because we were giving each other room and both of us had our pace going up the hill compromised as a result. And Stoner took the opportunity to pass up the outside, which was also fine. But at a certain point up that hill there's a kink and the road narrows and well, let's just say, somebody has to come out the loser.

Well, it's one thing to get called out when you do make a mistake, but in that case it was a perfectly legitimate pass: for whatever reason, you were slow coming out of that corner & I had a clean pass opportunity, taking advantage of the fact that I went slowly into the corner & had a clean pull out of it. What was a problem, was the fact that on the 2nd or 3rd lap of the race, I executed an unassisted tackle on Turner going into that corner. :O

My strategy at Riviera was just to drive carefully & avoid spinning or crashing into the barriers. Unfortunately, I still ended up facing the wrong way three times during the course of the race. :ouch: Riviera is a fun track to drive on, but I think it's a really difficult track to race on, especially with a fast, bouncy car like the 512S.
 
You call that driving, Jeff? :D


Those first 60 seconds could be a short movie entitled:

"From 5th to 9th - and redlapped - in less than 1 minute"

:trouble:
 
Yeah, just wait until I post the rest. :(
 
I always use the standard cockpit view, so there are no useful mirrors and the rear view is quite obstructed most of the time. This is why the 'Split Time' thing is priceless.

The only view that really works for situational awareness is the "look-back" view from the dashboard cam - looking sideways makes me dizzy & you should realize that with a G25 it involves taking your hand off the wheel & fumbling around for the directional button on the gear-shifter unit - not a good idea when you're in a close situation. Unfortunately, the wire activating the (only) G25 "look-back" view button is broken on my unit - I need to take it apart (again) & I try to solder it together.

Funny in that race at Riviera last night where effective team work (it was Alan vs. the Rest of the World ;)) kept you back for a couple of laps. On the last lap I saw the split time counter spinning down ferociously as you came gunning for me :scared:. As we went round the fast right-hander, I saw your car coming screaming past me on the outside & the bitter thought flashed through my fevered brain: "sure there's no steering assist for pad users!" :irked: ...

but then you smacked into the barrier & it was all hugs & high-fives in the Biggles camp! :)👍
 
..
but then you smacked into the barrier & it was all hugs & high-fives in the Biggles camp! :)👍

Aahh. That was a let off. I knew you were somewhere alongside. If I was too conservative into that right-hander, I thought you may get a run up the inside. So I tried to get the max out of it, but didn't work. Actually, talking about steering assist - really, genuinely, in that situation is it the opposite. It's a handicap.

When using a pad, if you carry too much speed outside of the racing line, it throws the car into oversteer (actually, I would argue that it wasn't even "too much speed" - it was the same speed I would take ON the racing line). And when the car is sliding...you're not fully in control! Even though I took a lot of speed into that corner, it should have just understeered wide, allowing me to reduce the speed towards the exit, and maintain the lead. Very frustrating.

But it was very enjoyable racing. That kind of good racing is really lacking in this game's online scene.
 
but then you smacked into the barrier & it was all hugs & high-fives in the Biggles camp! :)👍

As I told you, it WAS your birthday. And Alan I'm sure was mindful of that. :) Just don't expect it to happen again. :sly:

Mario, I admit, that I was trying to drive conservatively at the start of the Riviera 512S race. But losing so many positions was NOT part of the plan. Over-all, my race was compromised by the constant screen freezes. But I'm afraid the real monster for me that day was my horrible race at Spa. It's really unfortunate that a large portion of the race turned out 'black' and my camera didn't record properly. I had the idea of just putting one video together of all my 'failed' runs through Radillion, all 20 laps, one after the other. Of course I would have had to edit the audio to because by the 4th or 5th penalty there was considerable 🤬 to be heard. :lol:

Anyway, it was pretty clear to me last night that I really need to get some practice in before the next event. I was pretty off the pace. :nervous:
 
Even though I took a lot of speed into that corner, it should have just understeered wide, allowing me to reduce the speed towards the exit, and maintain the lead. Very frustrating.

I don't know, you were surely going too fast for that corner, perhaps due to drafting me - but I was just thinking:

"there he goes again!" :indiff:

Regardless, it was the best birthday present ... ever! ;)
 
Anyway, it was pretty clear to me last night that I really need to get some practice in before the next event. I was pretty off the pace. :nervous:

I don't think you were off the pace much at all. At Riviera you stuck with me quite well for a couple of laps. I think it was only through mistakes and inconsistency that you fell back beyond that. And Redwood Park - You did a mid 2'01 I believe. I don't think below 2'00 will be possible, or really not by much if it is.

Similarly for Mario, at Mont Tremblant he stuck with me so well for around 3 laps. I was pretty much giving it the max, and the gap time was remaining stable throughout most of the laps. So if either of you could get into the lead in the event (including Simcoeace - was tough to pass at Riviera), just be smooth and consistent and you can take the win!
 
Last edited:
...And Redwood Park - You did a mid 2'01 I believe. I don't think below 2'00 will be possible, or really not by much if it is

Well, Montreal is my 'signature' track. If I don't have the pace there, I'm screwed. But VIR and Wet Silverstone were pretty brutal. You and/or you and New_Soul were charging around at pace and Turnupdaheat and I were staggering around the track like two drunks. :yuck:
 
just be smooth and consistent and you can take the win!

I was thinking more along the lines of:

if we make it a sort of Mad Max event, with everyone taking a shot at Alan as he tries to battle through from the back, we might really have an exciting race! :dopey:
 
I was thinking more along the lines of:

if we make it a sort of Mad Max event, with everyone taking a shot at Alan as he tries to battle through from the back, we might really have an exciting race! :dopey:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

msdrowa_ec002_h.jpg


Crikey! Get ready, he's coming!


Oy! Now where's that Energiya when we need him?

rwhumungus2.jpg


(And just to make it official, NO, nobody should take a 'crack' at Alan when he comes by). ;)
 
hi guys
Looks like I will be able to have a go at this event.Had some great battles with alan
and newsoul yesterday night.Should be interresting to see how 3x15 laps goes.
We had a little test also to see if assist helps.There was almost no difference in my
times (0.6 sec)so no use to start using them:)
see you all on the track

p.s
1 qual.I'm neiter for or against.I think random grid is ok in 15 laps races
2
3 standard setup (dont need to pratice so much)
4 allways better with longer races when the grid is full
 
Last edited:
hi all would it be possible for me to join in this event ?

Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 20:00 Hr GMT featuring the 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS4 Spyder
 
hi all would it be possible for me to join in this event ?

Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 20:00 Hr GMT featuring the 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS4 Spyder

if ther will be a free grid position why not.

i sugest you read and understand the folowing so that everybody can enjoy your company.

THIS IS ALSO A REMINDER TO US ALL PARTICIPATING IN THIS EVENT.

05: Rules Governing Car Contact:
A:Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs.
B:Pushing other cars in turns or pushing them off the track is strictly prohibited.
C:Leaning on other cars is strictly prohibited in any situation.

06: Running into the car ahead of you:
A:The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.
B:In case you brake too late for a corner or partially lose control of your car, but can prevent an accident by steering into the dirt, grass or a wall, you are expected to do so.
C:The ahead driver must not do any malicious or inappropriate braking or slowing. Leading cars MUST NOT EVER 'brake check' the car(s) behind them because they are following too closely. The ahead driver IS entitled to be slower or use longer and earlier braking zones than others. They are also entitled to turn in earlier or later and/or apex earlier or later.
07: Contact Concessions:A:If there?s contact between drivers that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver should immediately allow the innocent driver to pass freely to re-establish their position. This rule should be observed, even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they contacted.
B:If the appropriate contact concession is carried out by the guilty driver then they may avoid or reduce the severity of any penalties that might otherwise apply.
C:If the appropriate contact concession is not carried out by the guilty party then the usual penalties would apply.
D:If you have to slow down to let the other player through, move out of the racing line first before you slow down. Coming to a full stop is not allowed, just continue at a lower pace until the other driver passes you again.
08: Corner Rights:A:When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.
 
hi all would it be possible for me to join in this event ?

Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 20:00 Hr GMT featuring the 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS4 Spyder

Hi Steve,

I generally give priority to those who have taken part in past events. But if there's room in the lobby, yes by all means you're welcome to join in. Send me a PSN message on Sunday about 19:50 or a friend request.

I ask (as New_Soul posted) that you try and keep things clean and avoid contact where possible. Although the first few laps are often tricky. And please read through the first post so you understand the qualifying procedures. Hope to see you there. :)
 
Hi jj,, due to a unforeseen problem i have with one of my friends who partakes in these events i shall sit out this round, till such time i can find a peacefull solution to our problem i will be sitting out, i will not say his name on an open forum due to the fact i still respect him, and its our worrys.. not in this car but most other cars we have similar high end pace,, i would like more time 4 us to find our respect levels again peacefully before entering in a event together with him,, please to all in SCC your a great community of guys,, i would just like you all to know i am 30 years old, i have daughter of 8 years old, also a man with morals and ethics of a high standerd,, i am not a boy of 11 who needs to betold what to do, (not saying 99% of you ever do) i respect all your laws and will continue to do so.. i have fun racing SCC and will continue to have fun,, Thank you 4 your understanding i hope,, Happy racing to all. Ant.
 
hi chilli
It's only a game.If it's not your fault come join.
 
Yes. And as host for this event, I see no reason you shouldn't join in.
 
will there be a race video?

Not from me, sadly. As I tried to explain in the lobby, my kids had unauthorized access to all my archive of tapes and decided to play with them :indiff: I don't think any of those tapes is damaged, but everything is mixed up now (we are talking of 15 years of recordings, so that is a lot of tapes) and I have no idea where in all the mess are the tapes I CAN use without fear of erasing valuable moments of my family life. (big mistake: only the boxes had labels, the tapes themselves all look alike and ... unmarked)

Brief personal review:

Virginia

Ruined my qualifying so started from the back of the pack, in 9th. By the end of lap 1 I was 7th, after overtaking Sheffield and drivatar. And then I had about 10 full laps of following Biggles around the track ... lap, after lap, after lap ... waiting for a mistake that never happened.

During these laps we both overtook Jeff and he joined the fun, overtook me once but I got the position back. So, at one point we were three fighting for 5th place.

Eventually and after almost 30 minutes of hard playing, Biggles opened the door and I took 5th position. 4th was ChilledAnt, already 20 seconds ahead so in the remaining four laps it was just a question of holding to 5th position and take the car home without any serious mistake.

All in all, a great 10 laps-long battle with Biggles, in a very difficult track. It was exhausting but it was fun!



Silverstone (wet)

Considering the grid for this race was "Race Position (reverse)" I started in 5th, with Biggles, Jeff, drivatar and Sheffield ahead of me. ChilledAnt left so I had Henrik, New-Soul and Alan behind me.

Henrik does a great start and by the end of the first sequence of corners he was already 1st (I think). Meanwhile, I managed to overtake Biggles, drivatar and Sheffield but not Jeff, so, by the end of lap 1 I think the order was Henrik, Jeff, me, Alan (can't say behind Alan).

Alan overtook me and he also overtook Jeff. I overtook Jeff myself (don't remember how, think it was a mistake from him). And, a few laps later, New_Soul also overtook Jeff. From that moment until the end of the race (I would say over 10 laps again) I watched Alan slowly going further and further away from me, and New_Soul gaining on me a few tenths every lap. This was maybe the most intense race of them all for me, and I really gave it all I had to hold on to a podium finish. In the end, New-Soul was no more than 1 second behind me and I was thankful that the race had ended ... but was exhausted again, physically and mentally. Great Stuff!!!


Montreal

For this race we had quali again and I did 3rd best time. New_Soul made the pole position but according to him, it was the result of a red lap. He took that so seriously that he gave way to everybody at race start (my respect for your honesty, but I really don't think you needed to do that), effectively putting me in 2nd place by the end of the first sequence of corners.

But some things are inevitable, so Alan went away and Henrik got me and passed me. Then I noticed Jeff getting to 4th place and he started his charge on me. Eventually he also got ahead but not for long, this night it was written that he would suffer from random mistakes (usually that's written for me, but not tonight). So I recovered 3rd place and never lost it again until the end of the race, managing a pace that wasn't the fastest but close enough to the top guys behind me (Jeff and New Soul) to avoid being caught by them. This one was perhaps the most relaxed race of the three but, by the end of this event, I was really, really, physically tired. But quite pleased with my results, I never thought I could reach a podium finish, and I reached it twice.

Summary:
Virginia - 5th
Silverstone - 3rd
Montreal - 3rd

Again, thanks Jeff for organizing these events, they are great fun!!! 👍

PS - Only shame is/was the fact that Derek and Bullie didn't manage to get into the lobby. Bullie solved his problem for the last race, Derek gave up. A real shame Derek, I am sure you would have great fun battling the rest of us, as it happened yesterday! :ouch:
 
My 2 santims on my pole position giveaway.

In the first Qualification at Virginia,
as i remember, JJ told that he had a red lap and he will start in last place because of that.
For som reason JJ started on pole and i with my pole position lap started in mid field.
In short,
I culd not be sure that the game puts a car with red lap at the back.
The grid order was mixes, and not acording to the Q results.

After the qualification in redwood park,
I told that my pole lap was red.
I heard everybody talking that i will start in last position.
To my surprise i was on pole, whith everybody expecting me to be at the back,
...as i understod it in the loby...

was more fun anyway :)
 
Last edited:
Back