Screen by screen setup guide

• Thread starter dyr_gl
  • 69 comments
Time for the dampers screen, the most misunderstood and confusing. Hope this one helps!

Very beautiful explanation, masterful, very educational, but i not understand "hitting the bump stop", I cannot translate it into French. Sorry, but can you retranslate or change term?

The bump stop is a piece of rubber that avoids the suspension compression reaching the very end of the travel.

It is called bump stop because it stops the bump (compression) movement at a given point. It helps keeping the car off the ground when the suspension is compressed very hard by something like a curb or a bump. It also provides a bit more of a cushion effect compared to running out of suspension travel.

"Hitting a bump stop" simply means that the compression was hard enough to make it come into play. If you "hit a bump stop", it means the suspension compressed so much that it made it to the point were the bump stop starts. At that point the bump stop presence didn´t allow the suspension to compress any further.

The bump stop is a piece of rubber that avoids the suspension compression reaching the very end of the travel.

It is called bump stop because it stops the bump (compression) movement at a given point. It helps keeping the car off the ground when the suspension is compressed very hard by something like a curb or a bump. It also provides a bit more of a cushion effect compared to running out of suspension travel.

"Hitting a bump stop" simply means that the compression was hard enough to make it come into play. If you "hit a bump stop", it means the suspension compressed so much that it made it to the point were the bump stop starts. At that point the bump stop presence didn´t allow the suspension to compress any further.

Thank you very much, as usual very clear and simple as explanation

Thanks again. Great driving. I was wondering wheel do you use? Settings?

Also could you post the FFB settings you are using.

T500RS, all game settings you can change from the main menu are default. I only change FFB settings per car if something is really off, and always basic stuff like master scale.

I hear a lot of people do a lot of tweaks to find something decent but I´ve had luck, the game settings mix very well with the wheel I use.

The library keeps expanding! This time I bring you a tune for the Audi R18 TDI

It managed to destroy the realistic-assists World Record in both of the tracks I used to develop it, and in the Nurburgring it scored the absolut World Record by 6 tenths (even if you count times with all assists active). It sure is competitive, and it handles damn well.

The car still won´t be a match for the P30, but if you have a bit of skill advantage you´ll give them a run for their money.

One more baseline setup:

Not many know how to squeeze this car, so it´s a great chance for those of you who are into leaderboards. Recording this I beat one without even trying so...:)

I'm struggling with the Yiro tires - when breaking from speeds in excess of 150 kmp/h the wheel shakes violently. When i use the faretti, i do not have this problem. It's with patch 8. Any one else have that experience? And is there a solution? It happens at the FB grand prix at Donington.

I'm struggling with the Yiro tires - when breaking from speeds in excess of 150 kmp/h the wheel shakes violently. When i use the faretti, i do not have this problem. It's with patch 8. Any one else have that experience? And is there a solution? It happens at the FB grand prix at Donington.

It is a FFB bug, I got it in other tracks too like Hockenheim. The Yiro compound is mega fast but completely bugged, just look at how fast it builds up pressure as soon as you leave the pitlane.

Not much you can do, try to lower master scale a bit, it helped me to make it driveable when this happens.

It is a FFB bug, I got it in other tracks too like Hockenheim. The Yiro compound is mega fast but completely bugged, just look at how fast it builds up pressure as soon as you leave the pitlane.

Not much you can do, try to lower master scale a bit, it helped me to make it driveable when this happens.

Thanks mate - I'll just stick to the Faretti :cheers:

I took the chance to refine further the setup I used for that Spa video with the McLaren GT3

Until SMS gives us a GT3 Ferrari 458, Lamborghini Huracan or a GT-R, the McLaren is my favorite GT3 car.
I look forward to trying your setup this evening after work. 👍

I love the videos. I was able to setup my car and improve my lap times by over 3 secs. Very easy to understand. Thank you for taking time to do all of these for us Cole Trickles that only know how to drive.

Hey mate, really glad to hear that.

I´ve been there too, frustrated because I was driving the wheels off a car but lagging behind the best times, so I love hearing that others are getting out of that situation too.

A Ford Falcon Setup would be great : )

Dyr man would you mind if i ask some suggestions about tuning the Formula Renaul 3.5 car ? ( via pvt message ofc )

:cheers:

A Ford Falcon Setup would be great : )

Dyr man would you mind if i ask some suggestions about tuning the Formula Renaul 3.5 car ? ( via pvt message ofc )

:cheers:

Haven´t touched it yet, and I´m completely clueless about the real thing. I don´t really know how it´s supposed to handle so that might slow things down. But I like the idea, will give it a go.

Go ahead with the PM mate, I have decent mileage with that car and always felt really fast with it when I raced it. I´m sure I can help with that one.

Turn for another piece of the American DLC, the Corvette C7.R.

This time there´s more emphasis on the driving tips, the car is a bit unconventional for a GT3, especially in terms of the engine´s power curve. That affects gearbox handling quite a bit.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you dyr_gl.👍

Turn for another piece of the American DLC, the Corvette C7.R.

This time there´s more emphasis on the driving tips, the car is a bit unconventional for a GT3, especially in terms of the engine´s power curve. That affects gearbox handling quite a bit.

I started PCars about five weeks ago. I've been driving this car for about a week and a half for a "spec." race coming up. While I can't use the tuning for this upcoming race (I'll definitely use it for other races), I still appreciate the breakdown of how to drive the car! The shift points, deep braking tips, and understanding the low-range power of this car is awesome.

Thank you so much for breaking it all down. I'll continue watching your videos with extreme appreciation for extreme effort. It's not easy, and it's very time consuming doing what you do. You're a big part of what makes sim-racing so enjoyable to those of us that have limited time to really dive into how this stuff works. I look forward to your future posts.

Your efforts are not taken for granted. Again, a million thanks!

I started PCars about five weeks ago. I've been driving this car for about a week and a half for a "spec." race coming up. While I can't use the tuning for this upcoming race (I'll definitely use it for other races), I still appreciate the breakdown of how to drive the car! The shift points, deep braking tips, and understanding the low-range power of this car is awesome.

Thank you so much for breaking it all down. I'll continue watching your videos with extreme appreciation for extreme effort. It's not easy, and it's very time consuming doing what you do. You're a big part of what makes sim-racing so enjoyable to those of us that have limited time to really dive into how this stuff works. I look forward to your future posts.

Your efforts are not taken for granted. Again, a million thanks!

C´mon, you´ll make me blush mate :D

Nah, I enjoy doing what you see in these videos. Since the connection issues started PCARS hasn´t been a great place to actually do events and race other people, so might as well use my gaming time driving and tuning cars I like.

Been doing other kind of vids for a while, and the setup fever is itching me a bit again, so expect something more soon, probably about the Audi GT3 entry:cheers:

Back