Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
I was thinking, we all just loaded the "daytime" version of the GT2 cars, both in the full version & in the demo.. Is there a way to load the "nighttime" version aswell? Who knows, maybe in some demos instead of the usual Altezza Placeholder we could find the proper body of the Subaru Rex, or the Silvia S14 LM Edition, ecc...

I went through every single texture file in the demos (except PAPX-90054 aka Test Drive) and there were no major differences between cdp and cnp files...

I guess copies of the E3 build may be found in one or more of these places:

- Sitting in SCEA's storage, along with other E3 '99 items from GT2 and other games;
- Sitting in PD's archives, along with hundreds of other work-in-progress builds;
- Sitting in a dev's closet, possibly along with other forgotten development-related material;
- Sitting in Kaz's sock drawer.

But I have one question: was it ever proven that the E3 build featured the CLK-GTR? All that we have of the model are stills from June '99 or earlier, but nothing that links them to E3 or any build in particular.

First of all, like MMRivit said, the only chances to get a E3 disc is sitting in one-of-these-impossible-place to sit, like Kazy's sock drawer, PD's archives ecc. I don't think that an e-mail to PD would give a chance to get an unpublished demo, but feel free to try it (I admit I dreamed once that Kazu was replying here on GT Planet, posting a link with this E3 Demo).

But I'm wondering, are we really sure that the only released builds from GT2 are just four? (I mean builds, not demos.. So i mean the Euro Demo 87 build, Bonus PS Disc build, Euro Demo 53 build & Test Drive Demo build).. Who knows, maybe there are special demos with still a different build than the others, containing the CLK-GTR or other goodies.

I'm gonna post a second ..ehm.. post, because I think it's a slighty different topic,, MMRivit.. Can you please make a video tutorial on how to change colour palettes on GT2 cars? I tried several months ago but for some reaons I couldnt get it working.. One more thing.. Like you may all know, the decals / sponsor of the racing cars are not part of the palette but are different textures "attached" to the car itself, I'm wondering if it's possible to "replace" decals with other decals.

But I'm wondering, are we really sure that the only released builds from GT2 are just four? (I mean builds, not demos.. So i mean the Euro Demo 87 build, Bonus PS Disc build, Euro Demo 53 build & Test Drive Demo build).. Who knows, maybe there are special demos with still a different build than the others, containing the CLK-GTR or other goodies.
There's always a possibility, but I think that it would be quite hard to find a yet undocumented public build, as Gran Turismo collecting is getting big and collectors would've probably gotten it already. But maybe a review copy in some reviewer's closet? Maybe not, since the promo shots/footage out there seem to be courtesy of PD/SCEI. Maybe a demonstration disc for official PlayStation kiosks in Japan? Those things tend to disappear and either reappear years later for sale or just get destroyed, further raising the figures of surviving copies. If those exist, they're pretty scarce.

But honestly, I doubt any of those would give us the hot stuff we are looking for (CLK-GTR and SSR11), just even more unfinished tracks/cars and even more placeholders. Our best bet for the cool beta content would still be internal leaks.

MMRivit.. Can you please make a video tutorial on how to change colour palettes on GT2 cars? I tried several months ago but for some reaons I couldnt get it working.. One more thing.. Like you may all know, the decals / sponsor of the racing cars are not part of the palette but are different textures "attached" to the car itself, I'm wondering if it's possible to "replace" decals with other decals.
My original plan was to have some videos about car/track porting and palette editing but I had some issues irl (work, college's final paper, etc.) that successfully prevented me from playing with mod tools. Sorry for leaving you guys waiting.

As for the decals, those are in the texture files and may be editable, but the major issue would be figuring out how texture mapping works, otherwise the game would likely promptly reject the new texture and display it unmapped.

There's always a possibility, but I think that it would be quite hard to find a yet undocumented public build, as Gran Turismo collecting is getting big and collectors would've probably gotten it already. But maybe a review copy in some reviewer's closet? Maybe not, since the promo shots/footage out there seem to be courtesy of PD/SCEI. Maybe a demonstration disc for official PlayStation kiosks in Japan? Those things tend to disappear and either reappear years later for sale or just get destroyed, further raising the figures of surviving copies. If those exist, they're pretty scarce.

But honestly, I doubt any of those would give us the hot stuff we are looking for (CLK-GTR and SSR11), just even more unfinished tracks/cars and even more placeholders. Our best bet for the cool beta content would still be internal leaks.

My original plan was to have some videos about car/track porting and palette editing but I had some issues irl (work, college's final paper, etc.) that successfully prevented me from playing with mod tools. Sorry for leaving you guys waiting.

As for the decals, those are in the texture files and may be editable, but the major issue would be figuring out how texture mapping works, otherwise the game would likely promptly reject the new texture and display it unmapped.
Maybe our job now is to activate some debug stuff don't you say? The Need For Speed community is also doing these types of things as well. We opened up GT2 to be a freaking PC developed software now or the files I suppose. It could gives us a way in the files the way how they work, like a game texture viewer and car viewer. We know most of the car offsets by the RAM data that is currently on the disc, much like any game we would use live editing of the .exe file in GT2. Hacc found a world x,y,z location lookup in GT1, probably is the same for GT2, and much more is to be found, we just don't know much of the data in files of where any of the sub-menus are there and other stuff, and my interests are those from the demo builds.

I think we can do it, just hoping someone can agree with me that there are some type of debug options located in GT2's files since the game was glitchy as heck.

Well, me and many other users here already covered every single car/track both in the demos and full version (PAL, NTSC, NTSC¥) and it was easy to do since they are all stored in carsbj and coursbj (If i remember correctly) folders, the cars files even had the proper code to load via hex editing making the job very easy to do. I also create for every single demo I have a .txt file which contains every little difference between the cars/tracks in the demos and in the full version.

But I believe there is much more to be covered within the texture files of the menus and other stuff not related to cars and tracks

Yes, it does. I might take a look now..

EDIT: It's the same build as the Euro Demo 87 / OPM27 one..

From the looks of it is, but it appears to have less tracks than those demos. Odd, this is like Gran Turismo 1 demos on how obscure they are and all. I calculate that we may have more demos to look at instead of the regular demos that have been done before.

Gran Turismo 1 had about 4 or 5 demos that includes the Trial and Test Drive builds.
Gran Turismo 2 has about 6 or 7 builds this includes the Test Drive build.

I've tested a lot of demo discs that had GT demos.
For GT1:
(Game completion) name of my folders.

(Early) Gran Turismo TEST DRIVE PCPX96084
(Medium) Gran Turismo (Japan) (Demo) PAPX-90026
(Late) Gran Turismo (USA) (Demo)
(Late) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 7 [PBPX-95006]
(Late) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 8 [PBPX-95009]
(Late) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 10 [SCUS-94217]
(Late) PlayStation Underground 2-2 [Disc2of2] [SCUS-94260]
(Late) Toys R Us [SCUS-94266]
(Final) Best Buy Demo [SCUS-94286]
(Final) Interactive CD Sampler Disc Vol. 9 (USA)
(Final) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 9 [PBPX-95010]
(Final) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 15 [SCUS-94277]
(Final) Pizza Hut Demo CD (USA) (final)
(Final) Pizza Hut Pizza-Powered Demo [SCUS-94292]

GT2:

(Early) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 27 (USA)
(Early) PlayStation Demo Disc [SCUS-94483]
(Early) PlayStation Demo Disc Shock Your System [SCUS-94482]
(Early) PlayStation Underground 3.3 (USA) (Disc 2)
(Early) PlayStation Underground 3-3 [Disc2of2] [SCUS-94445]
(Medium) Best Buy Greatest Hits Demo Disc Volume 1 [SCUS-94668]
(Medium) Euro Demo 53 (E) [SCED-01827]
(Medium) Jampack Winter '99 [SCUS-94475]
(Medium) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 46 [SCUS-94649]
(Medium) Pizza Hut Disc 2 (USA)
(Medium) PlayStation Demo Disc Shock Your System [SCUS-94496]
(Medium) PlayStation Demo Disc Winter 1999 [SCUS-94497]
(Medium) PlayStation Underground Jampack - Winter '99 (USA)
(Late) Gran Turismo 2 - Music at the Speed of Sound - The Album (USA) (Bonus PlayStation Disc)

All those demos have a GT1 or GT2 demo in them. The game completion is only so that I myself can tell what the demo is. Pretty much all the similarly tagged demos are of the same build, otherwise I would've had more tags overall. I forgot if I've ever finished trying everything... I'll have to check one day.

I guess you could consider my post here as a list of discs that have GT demos. I'm probably missing a few, but I don't think i'm missing any builds.

You can easily check if a GT2 demo has a different build simply by trying the cheat codes of the 3 builds. If they are working, then the build is the same and explored.

I've tested a lot of demo discs that had GT demos.
For GT1:
(Game completion) name of my folders.

(Early) Gran Turismo TEST DRIVE PCPX96084
(Medium) Gran Turismo (Japan) (Demo) PAPX-90026
(Late) Gran Turismo (USA) (Demo)
(Late) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 7 [PBPX-95006]
(Late) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 8 [PBPX-95009]
(Late) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 10 [SCUS-94217]
(Late) PlayStation Underground 2-2 [Disc2of2] [SCUS-94260]
(Late) Toys R Us [SCUS-94266]
(Final) Best Buy Demo [SCUS-94286]
(Final) Interactive CD Sampler Disc Vol. 9 (USA)
(Final) Interactive CD Sampler Volume 9 [PBPX-95010]
(Final) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 15 [SCUS-94277]
(Final) Pizza Hut Demo CD (USA) (final)
(Final) Pizza Hut Pizza-Powered Demo [SCUS-94292]

GT2:

(Early) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 27 (USA)
(Early) PlayStation Demo Disc [SCUS-94483]
(Early) PlayStation Demo Disc Shock Your System [SCUS-94482]
(Early) PlayStation Underground 3.3 (USA) (Disc 2)
(Early) PlayStation Underground 3-3 [Disc2of2] [SCUS-94445]
(Medium) Best Buy Greatest Hits Demo Disc Volume 1 [SCUS-94668]
(Medium) Euro Demo 53 (E) [SCED-01827]
(Medium) Jampack Winter '99 [SCUS-94475]
(Medium) Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 46 [SCUS-94649]
(Medium) Pizza Hut Disc 2 (USA)
(Medium) PlayStation Demo Disc Shock Your System [SCUS-94496]
(Medium) PlayStation Demo Disc Winter 1999 [SCUS-94497]
(Medium) PlayStation Underground Jampack - Winter '99 (USA)
(Late) Gran Turismo 2 - Music at the Speed of Sound - The Album (USA) (Bonus PlayStation Disc)

All those demos have a GT1 or GT2 demo in them. The game completion is only so that I myself can tell what the demo is. Pretty much all the similarly tagged demos are of the same build, otherwise I would've had more tags overall. I forgot if I've ever finished trying everything... I'll have to check one day.

I guess you could consider my post here as a list of discs that have GT demos. I'm probably missing a few, but I don't think i'm missing any builds.
On the PS1 Late Demos do they have Simulation Mode locked or unlocked to view? The Gran Turismo 1 Demos I mean.

Honestly, unless someone can hack into PD's mainframe and look at their employee's computers I think everything that's left to be discovered about GT1 & GT2 is already found. It's sad, but at the same time a testament to how amazing these games are to have this much replay value almost 2 decades later.

The holy grail I think would be if someone can mod new cars and tracks into the game 💡

@JakeMR2 It's locked.
Here are some screens for reference:
Early

Medium

Late

Final (Honda NSX and Corvette Coupe on SSR5 - USA version)
Apparently, the screenshot was caught exactly at the time the blinking Arcade was on off x) )

Courtesy of @SuperFrizzio, he found a new car in the Test Drive disc. It's the red Citroen Xsara Rally Car from GT3 and onwards, apparently was supposed to appear in GT2 as well:
600px-GT2Demo_CitroenXsaraWRC.png

Back