Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Ok, ill send you a pm in a day or two, its annoying that i bought the viper gts in blue but in my garage its stays silver..... and others
This happens because the new colors aren't declared in the game's parameter files. Unless you have the knowledge to fix it by editing them, you'll probably have to look into the car's .cdp files, get the relevant color codes and use them with a color modifier in order to see them correctly in the garage and in-race.

And could you please make an orage crx pro3 and a silver espace f1 pretty please?

There is a pic of the silver espace f1 and the all white midget 2, in that spanish psm mag that was linked a page back..... i screen captured it and ill post it among others.
I see. These are likely the same case as the silver Mini Cooper 1275S Mark I: the models (or better, texture palettes) existed at one point, but weren't shipped with any of the publicly available builds. They're doable, but I haven't done much palette modding as of late, so I won't guarantee them anytime soon (busy with irl matters, unfortunately).

And about the car file, sorry my bad, i had over looked it. It wasnt at the top in the 2nd build. Its a2ksn or something like that, its just a honda logo placeholder body with body colored exhaust tip. But i did notice some in the "gt___" part are they the trophies like in the final?
The "gt"s in the demos are the 'exotic race cars' that never were (at least in GT2):
gtd7r – [R]JLOC DIABLO GTR '97
gtd8r – [R]RainX DIABLO DL '98
gtd9r – [R]JLOC DIABLO GT-1 '99
gtf7r – [R]TEAM FCJ Ferrari No.28 '97
gtf8r – [R]TFCJ Ferrari F355GT '98
gtm9r – [R]SOK Mclaren GTR '99
gtp7r – [R]STP TAISAN PORSCHE GT2 '97
gtp9r – [R]TAISAN PORSCHE RSR '99

Ok, i know the gs hybrid color change code and used it, but that only works in-race.... not garage for the viper, az1 apsec, pt spyder, cobra coupe, mugen feiro, and a few others i have that issue with. Where in the garage it shows only as lowest numbered color only i.e. the viper gts coupe only shows as silver. I did manage to get it blue in the garage by just using the beta files...... but i still wasnt happy with it.

And thank god you posted a tutorial on color palette modding.... i found it and i really want to give it ago. I also want to see about modding the textures i.e. puting the '93 civic 3door eg6 front bumper on the '93 civic sedan....... i have done a few (on my android phone in .png format since thats how i got the 2000+ texture maps, and i can also convert them to almost to what ever on my android. I do some of my work on my android phone cause im on the go alot, like the rims i made for porting i did on my android.) but havent tested them yet because one i wasnt that far into gt2 modding yet, and plus i didnt know how to..... but hopefully with your tutorial i can now......

I also managed to figure out how to import my own rims into the wheel shop, like in that youtube video by TANNERD92, the rims i used was taken from the in-game cars them selves.... like the spoon civic rims, and mugen rims, among others....... to keep it all in the GT2 family, lol. I know i can use interballs rim pics but i didnt want to. But..... i can make them any color desired, lol except the "gold" color of the subaru rims is abit of an issue to replicate.......

My issue with the rims now 2 problems.....

1: the oem wheel shop rims have a dish or lip on them, but i cant get that to work on the ported rims, the dish or lip is black like the tire.

2: the final ver. in game Rims are under sized when in-race, where as in the demos, the where full size in-race...... which file contains that info(i.e. is it in the "carparam" file? Or what) ..... and how to i mod it?

Oh, i found beta spoon civic in white, gold renaultsport clio v6, 6 color mugen prelude, 6-7 color mugen feiro, 8 color cobra 427, 6 color nismo 270r, 7 color '96 mr2 spyder, 4 color toms t020, 2 color toms angle t01, 9 color pt spyder, just thought id share that.....

And sorry i havent sent you a pm yet mmrivitt, i promiss i will soon i hope, ive been dealing with alot of family health problems...... and its not easy, and to be honest im very stressed out and extremely depressed, and i havent slept much in the past couple of months..... Doing this GT2 modding is relaxing for me right now, and its helping me focus, and calms me down some. I know that sounds really strange, but right now i dont have much to escape to nor to unwind with. And plus i dont have the work space to work on my 1/24 scale model cars at the moment. So this is pretty much it....... anywho im sorry for the delay, i will send a pm to you sometime soon. Thank you

Last edited:
Ok, i know the gs hybrid color change code and used it, but that only works in-race.... not garage for the viper, az1 apsec, pt spyder, cobra coupe, mugen feiro, and a few others i have that issue with. Where in the garage it shows only as lowest numbered color only i.e. the viper gts coupe only shows as silver. I did manage to get it blue in the garage by just using the beta files...... but i still wasnt happy with it.
In that case only modding whichever file holds the color data would work, I'm afraid.

And thank god you posted a tutorial on color palette modding.... i found it and i really want to give it ago. I also want to see about modding the textures i.e. puting the '93 civic 3door eg6 front bumper on the '93 civic sedan....... i have done a few (on my android phone in .png format since thats how i got the 2000+ texture maps, and i can also convert them to almost to what ever on my android. I do some of my work on my android phone cause im on the go alot, like the rims i made for porting i did on my android.) but havent tested them yet because one i wasnt that far into gt2 modding yet, and plus i didnt know how to..... but hopefully with your tutorial i can now......
Modding the textures themselves would require editing the raw bitmaps, and that will take a real while if you're following my method of hex editing. Unless someone finds/writes a tool for editing such files, it would be quite a pain.

I also managed to figure out how to import my own rims into the wheel shop, like in that youtube video by TANNERD92, the rims i used was taken from the in-game cars them selves.... like the spoon civic rims, and mugen rims, among others....... to keep it all in the GT2 family, lol. I know i can use interballs rim pics but i didnt want to. But..... i can make them any color desired, lol except the "gold" color of the subaru rims is abit of an issue to replicate.......

My issue with the rims now 2 problems.....

1: the oem wheel shop rims have a dish or lip on them, but i cant get that to work on the ported rims, the dish or lip is black like the tire.

2: the final ver. in game Rims are under sized when in-race, where as in the demos, the where full size in-race...... which file contains that info(i.e. is it in the "carparam" file? Or what) ..... and how to i mod it?
I'm going to be honest, I haven't spent much time modding rims/wheels. What I experimented was just adding some new wheels (extracted from car textures just like you did) and trying them out. Regarding the wheel size, it could very well be something in the cdp file itself, or the carparam file, I'm not sure which of them would be the one.

Oh, i found beta spoon civic in white, gold renaultsport clio v6, 6 color mugen prelude, 6-7 color mugen feiro, 8 color cobra 427, 6 color nismo 270r, 7 color '96 mr2 spyder, 4 color toms t020, 2 color toms angle t01, 9 color pt spyder, just thought id share that.....
I recommend you to have a look at @RandomCarGuy17 's YouTube playlist about beta models. It's very rich when it comes to beta colors and you can have a look at what was found previously. ;)

And sorry i havent sent you a pm yet mmrivitt, i promiss i will soon i hope, ive been dealing with alot of family health problems...... and its not easy, and to be honest im very stressed out and extremely depressed, and i havent slept much in the past couple of months..... Doing this GT2 modding is relaxing for me right now, and its helping me focus, and calms me down some. I know that sounds really strange, but right now i dont have much to escape to nor to unwind with. And plus i dont have the work space to work on my 1/24 scale model cars at the moment. So this is pretty much it....... anywho im sorry for the delay, i will send a pm to you sometime soon. Thank you
Remember that health always comes first, always. Keep doing what makes you feel the best, and don't worry too much about minor things. The pm can wait. 👍

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but is it possible to port over GT1 cars to GT2?

And for additional questions if I may (:sly:), is it possible to change menu screens and/or menu sound effects?

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but is it possible to port over GT1 cars to GT2?

And for additional questions if I may (:sly:), is it possible to change menu screens and/or menu sound effects?

I think the the GT1 to GT2 porting has been discussed before, but I don't remember if any progress was made. Would be fascinating if you can though...

As for the menu screens, I know that people have managed to (or at least tried to) add some of the beta logos and textures from some of the GT2 demos.

With regards to menu sounds, that's also been touched upon, but I believe they're a bit difficult to fiddle with atm (but I'm certainly no expert there, quite the opposite :lol:). However, I do know that engine sounds can and have been fiddled with before, and a certain @submaniac93 has been doing just that in the GT2 Sound Modding thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gran-turismo-2-sound-modding.353348/ (done my bit of advertising :sly:)

Just realised, all this hasn't really been a massive help, my bad :lol:.

@Gerarghini Because we don't have access to GT1's uncompressed files like we do for GT2, as of right now we unfortunately can't import GT1 over (and trust me, I reaaally want that to happen one day). However, I somehow doubt they're in the same format as those of GT2... but hey. Hope isn't lost.

As for menu sounds in GT2 I don't think they can be changed yet. Like @Michelin Man said, I've successfully changed engine sounds, but menu sounds are contained in a completely other file. So yeah, not yet (hopefully soon though)

Ummm, guys I extracted the sounds from the PShock disc, and I think it is possible to change them if we use PSound in order to mod these sounds in. Take a listen to these files:

sys_00000 - I have no idea what this is
sys_00001 - Scroll (In 2nd Demo)
sys_00002 - Switch
sys_00003 - Scroll Page
sys_00004 - Switch (Alternate?)
sys_00005 - Confirm
sys_00006 - Not Available or Cancel Sound
sys_00007 - Countdown (It is not in the demo)
sys_00008 - Race Start

These are the beta system sound files, some are well. Unused.

common_00028 - Cash Earning Sound

Last edited:
I don't think PSound can recompile the extracted sound files... if that is possible then i've been blind in the 8 years i've been using it to hack sounds off of ps1 and ps2 games o.0

Ok, mmrivitt i think i get the basics of color hex modding but still dont lol. Which paletts on psicture is the main body color, if the 6th palette was the stipes for the viper, whats the base white, the 5th palette? And im having a horrid time trying to find the original color pixle code, like you said 7b12 was for red, but like i was trying to get the silver color code from the renault clio v6, and paint.net and gimp gave me 5 diff "greys" and non of them matched with any of the first 240bytes of the first color for clio v6. So im lost at getting the color codes i need. And 7b12 (12 7b) hasnt give me red on any car yet.... ugh.

And yeah i've seen randomcarguy17 beta videos, unforunetly he didnt show every beta car, he left out the mugen feiro, nismo 270, and some others that isnt in any of his beta videos...... and like his beta az1 aspec has different rims than the beta az1 apsec that i have.

thank you very much mmrivitt for your help!

I think the the GT1 to GT2 porting has been discussed before, but I don't remember if any progress was made. Would be fascinating if you can though....

@Gerarghini Because we don't have access to GT1's uncompressed files like we do for GT2, as of right now we unfortunately can't import GT1 over (and trust me, I reaaally want that to happen one day). However, I somehow doubt they're in the same format as those of GT2... but hey. Hope isn't lost.

Well gt1 car files is in a .dat file, there is a gtdatexploder, which i also have and i cant get it to work......,so i dont have any raw car files, and i think gtdatexploder only works on gt1 final though not demos. And also if psicture can view the raw image of a gt1 car file to see the texture map, if its mapped diff than the gt2, then prob not possilbe. Other wise i could give it a try with hexing if i can get the raw car files..... trust me i want the beta cooperhead concept car race mod, beta nissan 240sx orange w/black hood race mod, and beta viper gts coupe race mod to start with.........

On a side note, i would love to extract the menu music from gt2 and gt1 sim but jpsxdec doesnt show it, just mostly the race music...... and also i would love to learn menu porting but from my understanding the marker points wont line up.......

I also want to learn garage, dealership, race reply name modding......(not gameshark codes), i want it to be permanent.

And a bonus i managed to ported my gt2 sim carobj file into arcade disc, just to share.....

One last thing, is there a psx .dat file viewer/exploder?

And a bonus i managed to ported my gt2 sim carobj file into arcade disc, just to share
Are you able to select your simulation cars via Arcade without going into the Garage Menu?

Also, that brings to mind, anyone know the Arcade and Simulation (beta) menu names? They should end with a .HTM at the end I think.

Yeah, from what I could gather the sounds are pretty bespoke since they're in like .ins format so unless there's a way to recompile them it'll be borderline impossible for the moment.

Sorry for the questions but can anyone point me in the direction to the menu backgrounds and how to edit car names in GT Mode (not using the replay method)?

Are you able to select your simulation cars via Arcade without going into the Garage Menu?

Also, that brings to mind, anyone know the Arcade and Simulation (beta) menu names? They should end with a .HTM at the end I think.

Yes the ported cars, corresponding to the certian exact car, i.e. ported the blue viper into arcade and it shows up in car selection menu instead of the silver viper and in the home garage cause i own it. I only changed the cars them selves, not the car selection........ which i would like to know how to do,..... i dont want a mustang or corvette in the a-class.......

And ill check tomorrow if they have any menu names......

Me too Gerarghini me too!

And yeah i've seen randomcarguy17 beta videos, unforunetly he didnt show every beta car, he left out the mugen feiro, nismo 270, and some others that isnt in any of his beta videos...... and like his beta az1 aspec has different rims than the beta az1 apsec that i have.
Yeah, sorry about that. Those cars you listed weren't in any of the demos I have access to since they were hidden in the Gran Turismo 2 test drive disc. The Test Drive disc is rare, so messing with it was out of the question for me.

---
However, if I ever get my hands on the Test Drive disc; I will redo those beta car videos and include the cars.

Hey jakemr2, what directory file was those in? I looked in all 4 builds i have and didnt see a .htm file in any directory

Yeah, sorry about that. Those cars you listed weren't in any of the demos I have access to since they were hidden in the Gran Turismo 2 test drive disc. The Test Drive disc is rare, so messing with it was out of the question for me.

---
However, if I ever get my hands on the Test Drive disc; I will redo those beta car videos and include the cars.

There was only 1 gt2 japan demo disc that i know of is disc I.D. number: "slu--02333"........ (which was the first public released gt2 demo even though its the latest build before the final......) so that would make 4 demo builds in total if included the jdm gt2.... lol

Ppsssssst....... i have a copy of it, took me over a year to find it........ pm me and ill talk to you more about it.

Hey jakemr2, what directory file was those in? I looked in all 4 builds i have and didnt see a .htm file in any directory
Because GT1 and 2 would use the same menu name script and files for all the menus, I am still looking for it in the DIR, but not one lick between the menu programming or anything. Maybe I kinda suck looking for it. I just hope I can find reference names in there then we can probably do something with the menus, and I am hoping to find Debug Features since almost any triple A game should have it somewhere.

For the menus:

- in gt2 sim disc its all mostly .dat files, with a sprinkle of random file types, (minus the car and track files) ill screen grab it. (Arc disc is mostly the same except 1 folder is removed i think)

- the only other menu screens or stuff related to the menus is in the .tim files

Psound did open gtmenu.seq and another .seq file only but each track was 1-2seconds long...... so no sound, ugh..... is there any other psx program that opens .dat or .seq/.ins files?

And would the trainz simulator program open the .cdp files since it works with them?

For the menus:

- in gt2 sim disc its all mostly .dat files, with a sprinkle of random file types, (minus the car and track files) ill screen grab it. (Arc disc is mostly the same except 1 folder is removed i think)

- the only other menu screens or stuff related to the menus is in the .tim files

Psound did open gtmenu.seq and another .seq file only but each track was 1-2seconds long...... so no sound, ugh..... is there any other psx program that opens .dat or .seq/.ins files?

And would the trainz simulator program open the .cdp files since it works with them?
Believe it or not I think I found a way to read .DAT files, so. Maybe I can find something in there. So much more research to be done though.

There was only 1 gt2 japan demo disc that i know of is disc I.D. number: "slu--02333"........ (which was the first public released gt2 demo even though its the latest build before the final......) so that would make 4 demo builds in total if included the jdm gt2.... lol

Ppsssssst....... i have a copy of it, took me over a year to find it........ pm me and ill talk to you more about it.
Ah, is it any different from the other demos shown? Did you record any footage of it?

Believe it or not I think I found a way to read .DAT files, so. Maybe I can find something in there. So much more research to be done though.

(Grabbing your shirt and shaking vigorously)

how? What did you use? Please tell me.......? Lol

Yeah, like making some programs to help with some mods like the hex color modding, and so much more........indeed alot to be done.....

And randomcarguy17, i dont know if its different, and no i dont have a vid of it, but i can screen grab...... i tell you the turbo is screaming loud in it (the jdm gt2) compaired to the other gt2 demos and final........

Isnt the scu--# on the face of the disc?

So I think that the only other .tim files outside of the car logos and wheels are the introduction screens. Every other tim there gives me an invalid tim header error :indiff:

Hey jakemr2, here is a couple of screen caps from my winxp.......

Ill post screen pics of the jdm gt2 demo build in a lil bit......

Attachments

• untitled1.png
    untitled1.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 37
  • untitled2.png
    untitled2.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 29
  • untitled3.png
    untitled3.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 30
  • untitled4.png
    untitled4.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 35
Hey jakemr2, here is a couple of screen caps from my winxp.......

Ill post screen pics of the jdm gt2 demo build in a lil bit......
gtmenu.itx is another file to look for in the demo, it should have some strings in the files or header data, but I'll do a bit more research about the .ITX extension, and how to extract the data.

Sorry i had to wait for someone to post as i know double posting isnt allowed........

Ah, is it any different from the other demos shown? Did you record any footage of it?

Same I wouldn't mind looking at the files.

Yes, it usually is.
I.E. My disc id for my GT2 V2.0 Simulation Mode disc is "SCUS-94488".

@B_rad88! can you post some picks of the menù or gameplay of this slu--02333 Gran Turismo 2 demo? Because i'm very curious.

GT2 V2.0? lol i know what you ment....

First i opened the jdm gt2 demo in cdimage, and i was greeted with something beautiful..........

untitled.png

i saw the other disc id # PAPX-90054 (as well as slu--02333) its the same demo thats featured in mattj155's youtube vid.

The screen cap pics are in order from psx boot screen to the end of a race..... with a few caps of the cars notice the beta pug 206 and opel tigra....., the turbo gauge for the mitsu evo 6 has numbers on it, and the bov is screaming loud. And there is a "rock ballade" song that plays during the race (the only gt2 demo that has a song during a race that i know of) i think its the same song used in the final build of the jdm gt2 intro movie........

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-41-48.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-41-51.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-41-57.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-42-04.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-42-10.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-42-17.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-42-31.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-43-01.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-43-25.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-43-32.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-44-16.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-44-50.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-45-54.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-51-30.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-52-12.png

Screenshot_2017-02-24-00-53-46.png

Please dont shot me for the unmentionable, as i dont have a modded/chipped ps1(out of the 4-ps1s that i have) to play the game so my other option was that on my andriod.........

anywho, would anyone want me to screen grab the jdm gt2 vol directory folder too?

GT2 V2.0? lol i know what you ment
Whoops, that was a typo. I was thinking Version 1.2, the Greatest Hits version.

Also yup, that looks like the Test Drive disc alright. It's basically similar to the 3rd Demo build, but with the addition of the final game sound effects with slight pitch differences. The 1999 Mustang SVT Cobra was also added as an AI car for Class A and moon over the castle plays when racing.

I know what you ment, thats the version (v1.2) i use to do my porting in since v1.0 and v1.1 has problems...... lol.

And i got many gt2 demos, i know several are the same builds..... but they are still cool to have...... i dont have every PAL release, but ill get there some day..... i do also have the mcdonalds uk demo, usa opm 27, uk opm 53, jampack winter 99, jampack v3.3, many more, as well as gt1 demos..... i have both the trial version and test drive version, the gt1 test drive is from the japanese purepure vol.8 disc 2, and others...... lol..... i spent alot of time looking for them...... ugh

Back