Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Nice stuff! Strange that the name of the Volkswagen Polo is present only in the GT mode disc and not in the Arcade disc (viceversa with the [R] Mercedes-Benz CLK Race Car). The Palm Strip test is something we already discovered long time ago, it was probably an early name of Apricot Hill or the deleted Drag Strip circuit.

The Integra Type-R '98 and NSX Type S Zero has replay names in US simulation disc as well, although that because they were used in license tests (Integra Type-R(Japan Model) and NSX respectively). 💡

Uh, I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to do a small overview on the scrapped content from GT2. Well, mainly why SSR11 was cut from the game along with a couple of other courses like Indi and Monaco. I bet some of you guys know this reason already, but I want to say this anyway.

The courses from GT1 were not only ported to GT2, but actually reworked from the ground up. At least that's what I think due to missing tracks in the demos along with some glitched tracks that were in GT1. Polyphony's track record in wanting to be perfectionist in detail could be the reasoning behind doing that. That could explain SSR11 being scrapped as Polyphony was planning on including that in GT2, but didn't have enough time to model it. Had they been given a few more months and I bet it would be in GT2. It was shown in earlier screenshots of GT2 as those earlier screenshots were from an alpha build that was being used as a test bed for some of their new ideas for GT2.

.... test bed for some of their new ideas for GT2.
Now if we can find that alpha build that would be great.

Some cars were left out as well, the CLK GTR LM is one of them, and I guess they did not finish that car in time, but we do need to branch out and talk to the guys about the builds they put on those websites as a start.

Some cars were left out as well, the CLK GTR LM is one of them, and I guess they did not finish that car in time, but we do need to branch out and talk to the guys about the builds they put on those websites as a start.
No, the CLK GTR LM was scrapped from the final game for a licensing issue rather than not being finished. They had the model finished early on and I bet PD was eager to include it in the final product. EA however took a temporary exclusive license on the CLK GTR, Mclaren F1, Lamborghini and I think Ferrari at the time.

The Ford GT40 Mark III Low LOD (Level Of Detail) is apparently slightly different (compared to the standard Ford GT40 Race Car), also it does not have the glitchy black textures...

The Ford GT40 Mark III Low LOD

F2_zpsmynheaib.jpg

The Ford GT40 Race Car Low LOD

F1_zpskvhzww6g.jpg

I think that the low LOD on the mk3 is probably a placeholder from an unfinished mk1 GT40 race car, since I don't think it would have the gulf livery if it was truly meant to be a mk3.

@SuperFrizzio interesting and curious find. The low detail version of the Ford GT MkIII is very similar to the real MKIII Ford GT. Wow maybe they wanted to employ in the game, but scrapped for some reason.

So, i also want to announce that I permanently terminate my chapter on research in the various GT, it is true, also I announced some time ago of my output, but then because of several of my friends went back to research. But I must admit that lately I have i have other things to do. I have other passions that I like a lot more than looking texture to texture a bit of difference, it does not excite me anymore. I long ago I did it out of curiosity and passion, but lately I see it as a waste of time (My tastes). So I thank all those in this forum, keep it up guys who are doing good work. I hope that you find the CLK GTR.

Will continue to be on my video channel on the hidden tracks and some little thing, but I'll change my content directly.

Good work guys.

Thank you for your contributions aswell Overload!

About the body of the GT40 MKIII, I think both of you guys might have the correct theory and I personally don't know if its either a placeholder LOD model or a beta GT40 MKIII version, which basically has uncompleted Medium and High LOD

@Sonygamer455 It's present, I don't have the code off the top of my head but it's near the Subaru IDs. You can view it just like any other car, trophy, license logos etc that are counted as vehicles.

@GTvsForza You need the disc to get the gt2.vol file, or if you have an ISO then you don't need the disc. Copy it to your pc, then extract its content with GT2vol Exploder. Then in GT2 Car viewer look for the "carobj" directory, and voila! :D

@Sonygamer455 It's present, I don't have the code off the top of my head but it's near the Subaru IDs. You can view it just like any other car, trophy, license logos etc that are counted as vehicles.
Thank you. I found it, it's t002n. After years of waiting, now I can finally see it in its entirety instead of just what the game renders.

Which also makes me hope Leo will make a track viewer that supports the demos and has an export feature.

Here's some content extracted with the viewer. I didn't make a thing, just extracted the model, imported it into 3DS MAX 2016, made a small showcase and rendered it. Wheel included.
Open the image in a new tab to see the full 4k resolution.

The model on the left uses daytime textures on the night time model, because for this car and a few others, headlight textures are present on daytime palettes.
rx_7_lm_render01_by_submaniac93-db5sdhf.png

Yes! \o/

Call me crazy, but i'm extracting all the models as I write, and I will make a render with them all visible. Probably all non-RM, and one with all RM. We'll see, but i'l go through them all xD
Only Day versions though, because doing all 2219 3d models is gonna be a pain... HOWEVER, I'll have the licenses, trophies, and CourseBG there too :P

Call me crazy, but i'm extracting all the models as I write, and I will make a render with them all visible. Probably all non-RM, and one with all RM. We'll see, but i'l go through them all xD
Only Day versions though, because doing all 2219 3d models is gonna be a pain... HOWEVER, I'll have the licenses, trophies, and CourseBG there too :P
Hey sub, do you know how to hex edit the beta car files so they become portable to the full game? You can use that method to open them on the Car Viewer and extract them to .obj.

I unfortunately don't :/
However if somehow I can get the beta models, I'll add them too.
I tried opening an early demo file and I had no 3d (but UVs were there), the texture palettes were wrong, and the program crashed shortly after.

I really need to learn how to properly apply the textures to the models in Sketchup because without an mtl file, I don't really know what to do.

You could really have some fun with course bg by placing other car models on it similar to how it is in arcade mode. Even better it has its own skybox that is pretty much like a blank canvas, therefore you add your own. Reminds me ferrari gt's "If GT2 had photomode" thing he posted way back.

This is how an extracted beta file looks like on an hexadecimal editor:
462hm1p3vrpKWZSYb_F_HvtYhkWVOPSs2NS96PPLoUn0r6KJJLOJ0rCOo4j3c15oQfzaxKRJTTQcfCettJT4yPeVY5k00LajWsyvKrsV5r011cHO6aS3L-HWPyjgkA4lTz9Jd5bttLeVvYBBSEw6KM-U4UgdFmQQjs4RmSWgXapwctY5SZNwKobJwSKPDig7f3BKVX0kGy7uUx6ntP0iUqS8UPRVriALmKHPYNUgtRM84abZWqMHATnLgEsKNVHEzgrJQCr2xzy-U65-BMcxtS24WwSJ67E1gW5apqKUsw9l117V_xXpXsIfZrTGoB9sdfUG2ly-jjuXoapvp7JBHnpSGX9nb25KcZi5i45v8XiQSvfLwp5_Aa_A-pvA98JxIYOarM2YXwGhdh1F5stgsnrVm8AYX5oP4IDFV59uLuELclgMAVnNYvVrMc20NcEDgaO6MAU9Zd8slNhehnshRaQTbZ-H4FlQZ4IlfK9QmkUHkjGobJdQpTp6TxrseyeeND_7fmm5XiaNjrYl7QaHINAKobUcVtw63094C-jVmgY5U-nFkd8qOp_p3qOzArcilmXKQUllmODcbZV3vGCFVRlW4h5wSV2Bsy0Ektc3s_vtWJto2ciA=w732-h489-no

This is how a retail file looks like:
8fvzfezcl_BHbvpwf7WcIoQes17vAdBfdGnyRhfjAS0eySbZX1PWOcsQnUQ_93fWp100heHAaiupOVDjbDv8Qwo1Kh3dSTBmphWr9GrfsesodrZfjQgbjlDTYFVx0iwpB5k_zsjsU5P_OZ7FzTXbVH3KKrY6D9d5Nvrrjykivg7lwYorqB__TLDyMG8JyCs72t2QNUIQmDNXt0wrnOGEZEFJxES39L6ftH6HlQHDUmF4wE3UqVsgcqZA2fYkQo7IGC0MuGEhKr1rugGHqIqDAn29d0M1p8i7n6msDoZqorwKkz5TcfmxYEzf8brtswFLzCXwy5e2pp8kQL00LRQaj_Sps3sdnzeOfhwYnz2nB03VPyUJ2wmfHGqa9YoOa5xft_cvo3hULGOA5yT-RlWoNHnWNe52nswiQ9QZj93CjFXhoevjqlpXTJYbXu2iHmtxPhTiEcjNd905Fn18H3UDypt3J-KGJ7DihPC-aPEm_tTK7IIf47bsgZCtV27krVnyHBQIh-wnxA67ZxnFiDN1073k6VqMfZaHhuEV9xml_sDyftbTNYo0mvw4rrlRst60eVwtsj-8QEk6xesm-qg6hsc5Gke3Ek4Caf8mpttp-dHPI9AmWwcO=w733-h489-no

See the amount of 00 bytes between GT┐ and the rest of the header data? In beta we have 5, in retail we have 21. In order to make the beta files compatible with the final game, we have to add sixteen 00 bytes, shifting all the data after GT┐ by 16 bytes.

In order to make it so the Car Viewer recognizes it, however, you'll need to recompress it to .gz. I personally use GnuWin32 for this, but other tools should be able to do it (GT2VolTools apparently recompresses anything that was altered in the decomp directory, so it should do the trick).

I really need to learn how to properly apply the textures to the models in Sketchup because without an mtl file, I don't really know what to do.

You could really have some fun with course bg by placing other car models on it similar to how it is in arcade mode. Even better it has its own skybox that is pretty much like a blank canvas, therefore you add your own. Reminds me ferrari gt's "If GT2 had photomode" thing he posted way back.

That thread was @Razor440's.

Also, I'm wondering about a free tool that allows import/export of .obj files to SketchUp, since it's the only one app I have. :confused:

Good to see there has been progress since I last seen this thread. Nice to see a few new videos and hidden things discovered. @tankuroded That may have been my thread, but @ferrari gt posted some "renders" of GT2-esque cars on a track. Totally agree with you, @Sonygamer455 . We could possibly do some renders inspired by the original ones that Polyphony did for Gran Turismo 2. I'd love for them to post some of the original renders in full HD, for us early GT fans. :D

Of course I say this, then minutes later I look through an old Spyro tutorial and I remember how to do it in Blender again. Which I later imported to Sketchup because screw the other programs.
upload_2017-4-14_15-58-35.png
That thread was @Razor440's.
I could sworn I remember him posting about it here.
Also, I'm wondering about a free tool that allows import/export of .obj files to SketchUp, since it's the only one app I have. :confused:
They have a free one for Sketchup 8, I don't remember which one it is, but I somehow got it on mine again recently due getting a new computer, but I can't remember how I did! :banghead: I'll let you know if I do.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to charge so much for such a simple tool needs to rethink their life.

Alright, so I've taken the time to translate some demo cars to view on GT2 Car Viewer.
Here's the links:

This one had a limited amount of cars (it has ~1/4 the amount of car files the final game has) since it's an early demo. I was crazy enough to go through them all. I only left out some placeholders (there were less than 10 overall, which is good tbh)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z9q121oki5cvxqg/GT2_Official_U.S._PSM_Demo_Disc_27_(USA)_MODELS.7z

This is some of the cars that were featured on @SuperFrizzio 's beta cars video, taken from the Test Drive demo. [FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED SINCE THIS POST, the link should still work but will give the new file, with the full car list]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4cbnnafg0nz45a/GT2_Test_Drive_DEMO_MODELS.7z

I'll look through other demos later.

Last edited:
Back