Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Well, looking at the course map files I found a test map in the final game version 1.2.

It's called Gtest.tim, wonder if we can load the map in the arcade disc or somewhere in the game we can load this track from. I can tell from the file name that it is a test map stating "Game Test", but not for certain about it.

Well, looking at the course map files I found a test map in the final game version 1.2.

It's called Gtest.tim, wonder if we can load the map in the arcade disc or somewhere in the game we can load this track from. I can tell from the file name that it is a test map stating "Game Test", but not for certain about it.

If memory serves, Gtest.tim is either Apricot Hill or Motorsports Land. I can't really recall, but I do remember opening it.

EDIT: It's Grindelwald actually.

Last edited:
Alright. First of all, I'd like to apologise for double posting :P
Here's the Gtest.tim map:
ZXH.png

Now, about the map.tim files.
Most of them are duplicates, and strangely enough, they're not all the same quality.
The license test ones are all dropped in quality. Here's a comparison between the Pikes Peak map and the Pikes Peak downhill license test map:
ZX3.png

Not only is it dropped in quality, but the inaccessible parts of the track are chopped off the map itself.
Unused reverse versions of Laguna Seca, Super Speedway and Test Track also have their own separate maps, although they suffer the same quality drop that the license test maps do.
ZXG.png

ZX9.png

ZXF.png

That's all I have to offer for now. I am not sure if I'll explore demo maps, as I'm not even sure if they have any.

Like our mate mentioned, the low-quality versions of the minimaps are used by the reverse/alternate versions of the courses.

Alright. First of all, I'd like to apologise for double posting :P
Here's the Gtest.tim map:
ZXH.png

Now, about the map.tim files.
Most of them are duplicates, and strangely enough, they're not all the same quality.
The license test ones are all dropped in quality. Here's a comparison between the Pikes Peak map and the Pikes Peak downhill license test map:
ZX3.png

Not only is it dropped in quality, but the inaccessible parts of the track are chopped off the map itself.
Unused reverse versions of Laguna Seca, Super Speedway and Test Track also have their own separate maps, although they suffer the same quality drop that the license test maps do.
ZXG.png

ZX9.png

ZXF.png

That's all I have to offer for now. I am not sure if I'll explore demo maps, as I'm not even sure if they have any.

So that means they would have had reverse versions? The Corkscrew the other way would be interesting...

Using script trickery, I was able to make a map of the Rally Special Stage L_dirt_test3 from the US bonus disc.

If you guys are interested in more maps, let me know.
Great work! Hope to see more, namely the dart test track. Been wanting to make this in GT6.

Neat. If it's not too much work, could you also do L_dirt_test2, as well as test and test2? (And the "Tahiti Test" ones, if those didn't turn out to be beta versions of final tracks...)

Regarding about the E3 build, I did manage to find a partial direct feed gameplay of GT2. It's around the 1:15:00 mark.

I found this photo in Reddit, it's just a ticket to being able to play GT2 in E3 back in 1999.

Hey guys, i'm still working on the maps.

I'm trying to find methods that would save time and not consume so much RAM on my PC. Long tracks don't like this method i'm using. I'll be sure to post them soon.

Here's some more maps for you guys.

tahiti_test_short

L_test1

Judging from the tahiti_test_short map, it's probably a safe bet tahiti_test6 is a duplicate map of another track. I'll take a look into which one it is soon.

It's Smokey Mountain South, known from GT3 onwards as Swiss Alps.
Which is quite odd considering that the demos (2nd build onwards) also feature "No Name Dirt 2", which is what made it to retail as Smokey Mountain South.

Quick unrelated question: does anybody have a list of all known magazines that published pre-release articles about GT2? I'm particularly interested on finding out when the CLK-GTR screenshots first surfaced.

I found this old magazine lying around archive.org's site. It can be downloaded in PDF.
https://archive.org/details/100_Playstation_Trucos_y_Tacticas_01

While reading, I found something. Not the CLK-GTR but something.
Screenshot_2016-12-27-08-04-07.png

Why is the Mini MK.1 Rally Car painted in white? Did it appear before?
Screenshot_2016-12-27-08-03-55.png

Oh and the blue with white stripes color Viper is present.

BTW, did you guys already checked Playstation Demo Disk No.53 Vol.1? I saw a copy for sale in EBay. Just gonna leave a link if someone's interested in buying it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYSTATION...IVE-DEMO-GRAN-TURISMO-2-PS1-PAL-/181829641974

Last edited:
Back