Searching for Sophy

• Thread starter Footix
  • 39 comments
What if it was silently added? In Custom Races, sometimes the AI in front can be very hard to beat in Professional difficulty.
The recently added 1 hour Lago Maggiore race comes to mind. The AI is genuinely quick there.

So you actually think this "sophy" is coming to GT7? Eh boy. Please don't hold your breath.
I never said it would, boy. Please read a post properly before you reply to it, else you might make yourself look foolish.

All we’ve been told so far, is it could appear in some form in a future update.

Last edited:
Guys, just for You I did some fact-check based on news that are publicly available.

1. Sophy was developed using GT Sport’s environment and Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed its technology will be coming to Gran Turismo 7 in a “future update” for the game.

2. To develop Sophy, Polyphony Digital is collaborating with 25-person Sony AI team utilizing machine learning technology.

3. Learning of Sophy is processed on advance compute resources in cloud, but to run it and execute what already has been learned, local PS5 has been described as "more than adequate".

4. Sophy, after learning car-track combination, can put lap times that are far ahead of human world records. The main difference, is that Sophy is able to do very fast corner entry "fast-in-fast-out".

5. The objective for Sophy is not to beat humans, but create a buddy from which player can learn and grow. Project ultimate goal is to create an agent that can give players of all kinds an exciting race experience. What is also important, Sophy skill can be adjustable by literally driving like a newer driver (less accurate inputs) rather than just artificially slowing down (sandbagging).

6. Sophy sees 6 second of travel ahead with ~0,1sec telemetry refresh frequency. To perform driving, new AI uses only steering, braking and acceleration inputs (no access to gear shifting, brake balance, TC).

7. One of the challenges for developing team, is to set Sophy aggression level on a very thin line when it can hold own driving line and defend but not be too aggressive and cause accidents.

Last edited:
What if it was silently added? In Custom Races, sometimes the AI in front can be very hard to beat in Professional difficulty.
Which of these boxes does it silently tick, then?

1652009820128.png

You're thinking of the new extreme rubber banding.

Just one more example why I'm so eager to finally have smarter AI in the game...

Aston Martin = AI
white WRX = me

What's sad is that this is elementary level. It's basic. The AI not checking to see if a car is in its trajectory, and taking avoiding action is something standard. Am I wrong? I don't recall this being the norm in any other game.

Fully developed Sophy AI may be a huge milestone in GT games history. It's nice to hear that with 21.02.2023 update players will receive some portion of that technology. Can't wait for first feedbacks!

I’m just cracking up at all the people knowing for sure we wouldn’t get Sophy in GT7. I know it’s just a trial but yea… lol

Back