Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

England
England
Peasantslayer
91cl2pcqsfs2vtk8n.png

Developer: FromSoftware
Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
Release Date: March 22nd 2019

So is anybody else excited for Sekiro? It seems like a more focused and fast-paced Souls game.

The typical RPG and MP elements from previous Souls games will be gone but the game is said to have a meatier story, stealth mechanics, skill/upgrade trees and new traversal options which should work well with FromSoftware's interconnected level design.

Previews have been very positive with slight concerns raised over the game's difficulty and the fact that the number of deaths you incur is tied in some ways to the world state.

Downloading the pre-order now on PS4. Gonna watch AngriestPat from Super Best Friends Play on Twitch. He's streaming a blind LP and playing today through Sunday, each day starting at 4pm EST. He's a souls fanatic and a pretty decent player so it should be fun to watch and get an idea of things before jumping in for myself.

I've played every other Souls game with a guide. I'm heavily debating playing this completely blind and not looking anything up. I'll watch the stream for a bit but if he gets really far I may turn it off and catch back up with the VODs as I get to where he was. What do you think?

The review embargo was lifted just under 2 hours ago and it's looking good, my steelbook was dispatched earlier.

Downloading the pre-order now on PS4. Gonna watch AngriestPat from Super Best Friends Play on Twitch. He's streaming a blind LP and playing today through Sunday, each day starting at 4pm EST. He's a souls fanatic and a pretty decent player so it should be fun to watch and get an idea of things before jumping in for myself.

I've played every other Souls game with a guide. I'm heavily debating playing this completely blind and not looking anything up. I'll watch the stream for a bit but if he gets really far I may turn it off and catch back up with the VODs as I get to where he was. What do you think?
The IGN reviewer has said it's easier than the other Souls games but everyone else seems to think that it's a very hard game. I'll play it blind unless I am really struggling to progress.

The review embargo was lifted just under 2 hours ago and it's looking good, my steelbook was dispatched earlier.

The IGN reviewer has said it's easier than the other Souls games but everyone else seems to think that it's a very hard game. I'll play it blind unless I am really struggling to progress.

Yeah, looking at the scores only it has a 90 for PS4 and a 91 for pc on Metacritic. That bodes well for it. I think it may score higher than Bloodeborne when it is all said and done and that is my favorite From title.

Unlocked at midnight last night. Couldn't get my controller to work. Got frustrated. quit. Woke up this morning and my problem had a resolution in the forums. Killin it ever since.

Didn't touch it yet but watched a bit of the livestream last night. He went for 7-8 hours on PS4 and this morning tweeted that he restarted on PC and made the same progress in 5 hours. He's switching to PC because it looks better but otherwise it's the same game.

I'll check it out but I'm playing a lot of Apex Legends to get the levels and Battle Pass rewards

Didn't touch it yet but watched a bit of the livestream last night. He went for 7-8 hours on PS4 and this morning tweeted that he restarted on PC and made the same progress in 5 hours. He's switching to PC because it looks better but otherwise it's the same game.

I'll check it out but I'm playing a lot of Apex Legends to get the levels and Battle Pass rewards

Definitely higher resolution and more graphic options on pc, but I had to use reshade to get the contrast and colors to my liking. It looks "good" but it's no stunner imo. Especially contrasted to the trailer footage. I got it on pc mainly for the fps increase, it struggles on consoles. Also got the Steam controller bundle which sucks quite honestly, but at least I only had to pay 15 bucks to find that out instead of forty.

Just when I think the game is too easy I get slapped around and frisbeed through the air by one of the minibosses.
I got by him now though, simply sprinting around an enemy seems overpowered.

The element of tension doesn't seem as strong in this because you can quickly escape fights, you get a second chance and there's plenty of spawn points.
Still I'm really enjoying it.

And there's a pause button! This game is for casuals! Git gud :lol:

Honestly the change of pace is welcomed. I'm used to the shield and sword playstyle but this forces me to think of other ways. Being able to simply pause is just a great feature. I wish more games had something like that ;)

Lol, I'm getting my ass handed to me. We must be playing different games. :D

Seriously though I think it is harder than Dark Souls simply because you can't hide behind a shield. I think maybe I liked Bloodborne combat better, but I do like this better than the Dark Souls combat.

Lol, I'm getting my ass handed to me. We must be playing different games. :D

Seriously though I think it is harder than Dark Souls simply because you can't hide behind a shield. I think maybe I liked Bloodborne combat better, but I do like this better than the Dark Souls combat.
Every half an hour this game gives me a reality check :D I came across this guy in a cave that I have to skip, I probably need a few items to have any chance.

Just bought it today, and I think I'm enjoying it so far. Focus on traversal and parry-based combat kinda reminds me of classic Prince of Persia, which I used to play a lot when I was young.

I think I'm still in the early game area, but without wishing to spoil, trying to navigate the valley while being pursued by that thing was quite enjoyable. Boss fight on the other hand, well... I think I died about twenty times trying to beat the horseman dude. Is that normal? :indiff:

Just bought it today, and I think I'm enjoying it so far. Focus on traversal and parry-based combat kinda reminds me of classic Prince of Persia, which I used to play a lot when I was young.

I think I'm still in the early game area, but without wishing to spoil, trying to navigate the valley while being pursued by that thing was quite enjoyable. Boss fight on the other hand, well... I think I died about twenty times trying to beat the horseman dude. Is that normal? :indiff:

Havn't gotten to where you are at, but the damn spearman beat me 10 times so...

If that thing is what I think you're talking about then that is how set-pieces should be done.
In other games the game would take over half or all of your controls and you can't fail.

Edit: Currently stuck on horse guy, I got to within about half a second of killing him but his strike landed first.

Last edited:
I am no closer to defeating horse guy than before. But I now have slightly higher health, so I should theoretically go down in four hits instead of three! Let's see if that makes any difference...

I am no closer to defeating horse guy than before. But I now have slightly higher health, so I should theoretically go down in four hits instead of three! Let's see if that makes any difference...
Keep at it, I got him eventually. Try to jump instead of dodge and as soon as you see him ride away chase and grapple him, the firecracker prosthetic can help quite a bit too.

This happened to me earlier after about 2 hours of trying.

After killing me more times than what final boss of Dark Souls 3 could ever manage, the horse dude is down! Finally! :D

I must say "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice" is very aptly named game, because I've certainly been dying twice a lot.

Yea, finally took my time and beat him. Went ahead and now there's a chained ogre. I died a few times to him and my last try I got so close but side stepped when he grabbed and still got caught. Done for the night

Yea, finally took my time and beat him. Went ahead and now there's a chained ogre. I died a few times to him and my last try I got so close but side stepped when he grabbed and still got caught. Done for the night
Fire and patience are your friend with him.

I tried making him walk into the torches but he just breaks them

I don't want to spoil it for you but:

If you talk to the sculptor, and interact with the Buddha at the dilapidated shrine you will go to Hirate castle where you will get lots of oil and the flamethrower prosthetic[/spoiler ]

I'm actually there now. I got up to the second Sculptor's Idol and had to go to sleep. I'll play more today. I like that there's no stamina system but posture is basically poise. Can't block forever.

Okay. I got all the way up to the spear mini-boss and backed down because no pellets. Maybe go back to the Chained Ogre and progress there a bit more. The Hirata Estate seems is three years ago so I figure as we progress in the present we unlock ways to better traverse the past and learn what happened?

Back