Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

So the big fat drunk guy? I got up to him and turned around as I think Hirata Estate may be optional for now/gonna go back and forth with Ashina Outskirts.

Right now I have that guy, the spear guy in Hirata before you take the tunnel into the main estate, the general after the chained ogre. Probably gonna beat the general first.

I don't wanna spoil anything for you, so just keep playing ;)

Oh boy. So I went around the general to see what else there was and a sign reads to avoid the headless. Can't even get over there yet lol

Went the other way and a giant snake is snooping around. Did some stealth around him, got the eye stab and ran out of there to the next Sculptor's Idol near the castle. So that's the next area. Got it. Just gotta beat this general. It's so tough learning when to try for a deflection or a simple block. And then when the symbol shows up for an unblockable it's hard to tell if it's the sweeper or stab and I usually guess wrong as the stab can still get you when you jump. You can't roll away from the sweeper but maybe you can roll back? Rolling back might be safe for both so I'll try that next.

One thing I do know is that's easier to approach from the Sculptor's Idol on the cliff side where the giant snake is. Take out all of the enemies easily (and some with an easy stealth kill) and when he's alone you can actually get a stealth attack on him. That's one bar down to start the fight which is nice. On the other hand if you're confident, you can start the fight from full health. If you die and resurrect, taking out one of his orbs will unlock your ability to resurrect a second time. Depends on how you wanna do it. I'd rather get him down to half health first and git gud, only resurrecting once if necessary.

My tactic of just running around enemies and then stepping in got me to the top of Ashina Castle... After 4-5 straight hours of attempts against what I encountered there I can now parry effectively.

My tactic of just running around enemies and then stepping in got me to the top of Ashina Castle... After 4-5 straight hours of attempts against what I encountered there I can now parry effectively.

Lol, yeah he's kicking my ass now. I'm a fan of From Software, but I think they crossed the line from "fair and hard" into "cheap as ****" with this game. It's like a game of rock paper scissors in every fight and if you lose you lose 75% of your health.

It's the closest competitor in this style of game and I honestly liked Nioh better. It felt like the combat was nuanced and not just a parry fest.

Lol, yeah he's kicking my ass now. I'm a fan of From Software, but I think they crossed the line from "fair and hard" into "cheap as ****" with this game. It's like a game of rock paper scissors in every fight and if you lose you lose 75% of your health.

It's the closest competitor in this style of game and I honestly liked Nioh better. It felt like the combat was nuanced and not just a parry fest.
The rock paper scissors parts is so true, the game feels a bit unfair sometimes.

I tried the Nioh beta but I never got the game, after Sekiro I'll probably give the genre a rest for a couple of years at least because despite the highs these games stress me out.

The rock paper scissors parts is so true, the game feels a bit unfair sometimes.

I tried the Nioh beta but I never got the game, after Sekiro I'll probably give the genre a rest for a couple of years at least because despite the highs these games stress me out.

I tried the Beta of Nioh and hated it. When the game came out to rave reviews, I decided to give it a try, I ended up with over 100 hours in that game. Absolutely loved it.

Welp, I didn't know I could actually enter the Ashina Castle until today. I've just cleared out the Abandoned Dungeon area, but I guess I'll have to go through castle first before progressing to the next area.

Made it as far as Hirata Estate, and in turn to the Drunkard Guard.

This is my first encounter with anything FromSoftware-related – Dark Souls and Bloodbourne, whilst knowing about their difficulty levels and general gameplay mechanics, to be honest didn't appeal to me as much as Sekiro, though I was a little bit dubious as to whether it warranted a purchase given the form of its predecessors. And yet here we are...

It's very much a game that rewards strategy and patience over brute force – you can't rush headlong into a scenario and emerge victorious by simply smashing the attack button. If anything the posture mechanic reminds me a lot of the recent God of War: wearing down your opponent enough to gain the opportunity of landing an insta-kill.

Got a fairly good grasp of the combat mechanics so far, but there's a lot more to learn.

Last edited:
Just saw the credits roll, I looked up some possible endings and trust me it's worth backing up your save.

After you have the "ingredients" from the post-Senpou areas. A major choice is made shortly after.

Which I did, will go for one of the other endings now.

Last edited:
I currently have two out of three macguffins so far, and I've got to say I'm getting a bit tired of this whole affair. Am I close to finishing this game? It can't be that far, right?

Just saw the credits roll, I looked up some possible endings and trust me it's worth backing up your save.

After you have the "ingredients" from the post-Senpou areas. A major choice is made shortly after.

Which I did, will go for one of the other endings now.
Or just watch them on the YouTubes

Or just watch them on the YouTubes
If you pick the wrong option you can miss out on a fairly large chunk of content.

I currently have two out of three macguffins so far, and I've got to say I'm getting a bit tired of this whole affair. Am I close to finishing this game? It can't be that far, right?
You're definitely late-game but the toughest bosses are still to come.

As I said just above there is a way to pick an ending which shortens the game.
Side with the person you speak to at the top of Ashina Castle after collecting all 3 macguffins.

You will miss out on an entire area though and get an ending which is regarded as the bad one.

Last edited:
As I said just above there is a way to pick an ending which shortens the game.

... Well, I guess one more area can't be that bad. :lol: Having 23 hours of my time boil down into a bad ending sounds like a pretty bad deal, so I'll stick around for a while longer.

Besides, the game really kicked up a gear after getting all three macguffins. It certainly keep things more interesting.

Got the platinum trophy today, it's amazing how easy certain bosses feel after multiple runs. I got horse guy on NG+ first attempt without healing but still there are some towards the end that remained very tough to me.

The skill upgrades trophy is ridiculous, after 3 playthroughs I still had to farm for about 3 hours to unlock them all.

I've been playing games since 1994. This was my first platinum. No grind, no superfluous tasks. Just playing and having fun. Amazing game.

I went:
NG: Immortal Severance
NG+: Return
NG+2: Purifucation
NG+3: Shura

Last edited:
Finally acquired this game earlier this week. The combat is phenomenal, as is the art direction. A nice change of pace from my favorite Bloodborne, and not so favorite, Dark Souls games.

I've been stuck on a certain old lady, my real first boss in the game, for approximately 6 or 7 hours. She's not even that hard! I know all her moves and how to respond do them, but unless she feels like doing the attacks that I can actually punish, then I can't do any damage to her. I also have a annoying habit of dodging when I need to be jumping. Several times I've gotten her down to being one or two hits away from death, but I just can't keep up in what I feel cannot be anything but a battle of attrition. Breaking her posture isn't feasible, or so it seems to me. I managed it once on the first phase after having taken only half of her health, and that was exclusively because her attacks allowed it. If she refuses to commit, then she just regains her posture with nothing I can do. The quick perilous leg slice she can do is BS. If she does it after you've already started performing an action, there is absolutely nothing you can do.

I really hope the other bosses allow for some player initiative, because I feel entirely reactionary against this old lady.

Back