Sell my PS4 or wait for GT Sport?

• Thread starter boxster233
  • 65 comments
Truth be told, there's very little performance difference between the PS4 and the XB1. The Sony system is more powerful, but in most situations you'd be hard-pressed to notice.

If you're primarily concerned with racing games, yeah, I'd say sell it: the only exclusives on PS4 are Driveclub and (eventually, some day) GT Sport. Xbox only really has Forza, but the franchise is now going to be available on PC too. If you've already got one, you're set, since the best versions of PCARS and AC are on there.

That said, if you like any other types of games — as you mentioned TLOU 2 — it's probably worth holding on to.

^^This. There are tons of games aside just the racing sims that you can't get on the other platforms.

^^This. There are tons of games aside just the racing sims that you can't get on the other platforms.

Yeh someone offered me money on it, but I've decided to hold onto it for now. Yakuza O, Last of Us 2, and a few others I'll miss.

That's what I was thinking. I have an 860M now and can play Assetto on high.

Eeek! Don't listen to anyone recommending you sell your PS4. Its clear you are using a laptop, and in this case its extremely unlikely you will be able to upgrade the graphics card. I would hate for you to find this out the hard way.

Keep the PS4, its going to give you more bang for your back of its life-cycle than anything else you can do with $180.

I still use my ps3 everyday for other things like netflix and lightbox. Perhaps you should keep your ps4 for the same reason (with the added bonus you can still play ps4 games as and when required).

I would definitely keep it. Gran Turismo games have a certain quality that you won't find anywhere else. People here can't even describe it, but it is worth keeping your console for. Besides, if you haven't yet played The Witcher 3, give that a shot! I found that game alone had justified my PS4 purchase.

I'd sell it and get a 4pro, I'm guessing that GTS will be underwhelming on the regular, second class PS4 or at least you'll have to deal with screen tearing and the usual lot.

I'd sell it and get a 4pro, I'm guessing that GTS will be underwhelming on the regular, second class PS4 or at least you'll have to deal with screen tearing and the usual lot.
Seems like this will be more and more common with dedicated console gamers in the time to come; 800 euros spend on consoles in less than 5 years whilst development costs were minimal. Nicely done Sony and MS.. 👍

Seems like this will be more and more common with dedicated console gamers in the time to come; 800 euros spend on consoles in less than 5 years whilst development costs were minimal. Nicely done Sony and MS.. 👍

The upgraded versions share development costs with the base versions though.

No, because sharing the development cost between two products doesn't cut that cost in half.
'Pro' is a basically a PS4 with a better GPU and CPU? How can that be as costly as developing an entirely new console? Also what exactly do you mean with sharing the development cost? They developed the PS4 and saw that it wasn't powerful enough after a year or two, so they just stuck a better AMD card and processor in there which is external hardware that was already available.

'Pro' is a basically a PS4 with a better GPU and CPU? How can that be as costly as developing an entirely new console? Also what exactly do you mean with sharing the development cost? They developed the PS4 and saw that it wasn't powerful enough after a year or two, so they just stuck a better AMD card and processor in there which is external hardware that was already available.

It is as costly because they share the development costs of the PS4 / Xbox One. They are not products that Sony and Microsoft gets for free. They need to help pay for the original development cost, just like the original versions of these consoles.

It is as costly because they share the development costs of the PS4 / Xbox One. They are not products that Sony and Microsoft gets for free. They need to help pay for the original development cost, just like the original versions of these consoles.
I guess you mean the manufacturing costs of putting a different CPU/GPU in there? But for a brand new console and not a souped up one years of R&D are needed, whilst with for an upgraded one that will be only a fraction of that amount.

I really think there will be a huge amount of money saved by them like this, and the punters go out and buy it like it was a new console anyway. Before they had to spend 400 bucks on a console which lasted them double the time. I don't see the regular PS4 lasting three years more to be honest.

I would definitely keep it. Gran Turismo games have a certain quality that you won't find anywhere else. People here can't even describe it, but it is worth keeping your console for. Besides, if you haven't yet played The Witcher 3, give that a shot! I found that game alone had justified my PS4 purchase.
Witcher 3 is available on PC as well.

I guess you mean the manufacturing costs of putting a different CPU/GPU in there? But for a brand new console and not a souped up one years of R&D are needed, whilst with for an upgraded one that will be only a fraction of that amount.

I really think there will be a huge amount of money saved by them like this, and the punters go out and buy it like it was a new console anyway. Before they had to spend 400 bucks on a console which lasted them double the time. I don't see the regular PS4 lasting three years more to be honest.

No, the cost of developing the PS4 / Xbox One. They won't have to stop paying for that just because they release upgraded versions.

No, the cost of developing the PS4 / Xbox One. They won't have to stop paying for that just because they release upgraded versions.
Ah yes now I get what you mean. But the additional sales of the pro will help to cover that quicker. I also doubt the costs and losses on console sales are comparable to what it was with PS3, which when that was released was pretty much a high end piece of kit. The millions of standard PS4's which were sold probably already covered that before the pro was launched.

Anyhow for the end user it does come down to double the costs in half the time frame, if they 'upgrade'.

Ah yes now I get what you mean. But the additional sales of the pro will help to cover that quicker. I also doubt the costs and losses on console sales are comparable to what it was with PS3, which when that was released was pretty much a high end piece of kit. The millions of standard PS4's which were sold probably already covered that before the pro was launched.

Anyhow for the end user it does come down to double the costs in half the time frame, if they 'upgrade'.

Doubled cost in the same time frame, not half the time frame. You're only buying two consoles, not four. And yes, it's more expensive to upgrade, but it's not like Sony and Microsoft gets a huge profit because of the lack of development costs.

Either keep it or sell it and upgrade to the Pro. Sony's exclusives are the best and GT Sport, when and if it ever releases, will be an experience you cannot replicate on PC.

Sell your PS4 and buy an Xbone. Seriously, GTS won't actually be released until the next gens are out anyway. And the Forza and Forza Horizon series are great fun.

Sell your PS4 and buy an Xbone. Seriously, GTS won't actually be released until the next gens are out anyway. And the Forza and Forza Horizon series are great fun.
He can play Forza on PC.

Keep the PS4 or upgrade to the Pro if you are a GT fan

Back