Senna (The Movie)

Some of it is. The audio wasn't crystal-clear for the entire lap. But the producers got their hands on telemetry of Senna's laps and found the points where the car was under the same conditions as it was at the places where the sound dropped, and then edited that engine sound in to fill the void. I've heard the producers ran it past the team engineers, and they couldn't pick out the places where the audio had been re-touched. So while it's not a perfect recording, it's as close as we'll ever get to it.

Clearly some of the worst sound engineers ever then as the Monaco lap especially is just wrong. There's nothing wrong with editing the audio, but at least edit the audio so it sounds correct and not have him accelerating when he is braking, etc.

Regardless of an audtitory oversight, it is a brilliant film. I had tears in my eyes watching it. And I have watched Ratzenberger's accident many times over the years as a sober reminder of how dangerous motorsport can be, and it has me grabbing my neck everytime. It's horrrifying the way the car comes to a rest, with his helmet limp. And that moment when the doctors were trying to resuscitate him, and Senna knew he was gone... it's unbearable. And Senna's crash; I'd never seen the areal shots with the spatters of blood on his head.

But aside from the tragic ending, it was a sensational film. The feuding with Prost, and the drivers revolting against Balestre/Prost in Japan and Germany was magic. And the humble manner he had, along with the joy he brought to millions who live in desolation... he would be modest but so proud of the lasting legacy he has.

Clearly some of the worst sound engineers ever then as the Monaco lap especially is just wrong. There's nothing wrong with editing the audio, but at least edit the audio so it sounds correct and not have him accelerating when he is braking, etc.

You've clearly never seen Led Zeppelin's "How the west was won". Really funny when you see Jimmy Page bend one note on his guitar, but the audio track is a much faster guitar solo.

But I will agree that some of the sound editing on Senna was terrible. I had to explain to my girlfriend that the Audio track had evidently been edited on, as the Audio and Video did not tie up at all.

I have the Blu Ray version that came with a little book. In the book, it said that they have footage of Senna standing at Tamburrello saying "Someone's going to die here."

Combine that with the "Happy 90, happy 91, happy 92 and happy 93" and it's all a little cryptic.

You know, I just watched some clips of Germany 2000; the moment when Barrichello climbs to the podium and sobs as the brazilian national anthem is played for the first time since Australia 1993, for Senna's final victory.

It gave me goosebumps then, and it sure as hell gave me goosebumps now.

Just watched it the other day on Netflix. The film is awesome and brutal. By brutal, I mean it just stays with you for days. I keep replaying the crash in my head. Lap 6 of 53, on onboard with Senna... Oh man.

Personally, I find Roland's crash to be more shocking. Senna didn't look hurt, whereas it was obvious that Roland's neck was broken.

F1 fan
Personally, I find Roland's crash to be more shocking. Senna didn't look hurt, whereas it was obvious that Roland's neck was broken.

The horrible par was that you see him die slowly. He is twitching and then he just dies. Everyone saw. It's so sad :(

Everytime I have watched Raztenberger's crash, it makes me shiver and grab my neck. It is utterly horrifying. And the damage to the side of that Simtek is monumental.

Barrichello's crash was rather terrifying as well, even though I know he survived it still makes me cringe whenever I see it.

Really was not a good weekend.

Speaking of which, I'm quite surprised Barrichello wasn't interviewed. Being the most successful Brazilian driver following Senna, he had the entire nation on his 23 year old shoulders in a Jordan 194. The stress and personal loss he must have gone through must be unimaginable. Like I mentioned in the last post of the previous page, the emotion at Hockenheimring in 2000 gives me shivers everytime.

Everytime I have watched Raztenberger's crash, it makes me shiver and grab my neck. It is utterly horrifying. And the damage to the side of that Simtek is monumental.

Yes. The crash was horrifying. I think the most upsetting thing is the fact that you see Roland talking before the crash and he's frustrated. I've heard that a front wing failure was the cause of the crash. Racing drivers will always tell you how terrifying it is because you can lose all control.

From what I gather, he damaged the wing the lap before but decided to carry on so he could try and qualify. It's all rather tragic and fits in with his reputed determination.

Barrichello's crash was rather terrifying as well, even though I know he survived it still makes me cringe whenever I see it.

Really was not a good weekend.

I think the most shocking thing about Barrichello's crash is the way the marshalls just tipped over the car. I am not a trained marshall and even I know that the best thing to do is to lower it gently. The whole weekend was terrible. But as a result of that weekend, there hasn't been a fatality in F1. So we can at least be grateful for that.

But as a result of that weekend, there hasn't been a driver fatality in F1. So we can at least be grateful for that.

Sadly fixed for you.

Two marshalls; one at Monza 2000 (Multiple pile-up; flying debris) and the other at Albert Park 2001 (Villeneuve aileron roll-come-somersault; flying tyre).

Ratzenberger; he ran over the kerbs at Aqua Minerali (a chicane before they altered the circuit*) the lap before, which damaged the wing. He carried on with qualifying, determined to make it onto the grid; still in the days when 4 entries would fail to qualify. The stresses on the damaged wing reached a critical point at ~190-200 mph towards Tosa. Apparently the wing broke, slipped under the car, under the front suspension. This meant that braking was useless and he ploughed into the wall and the rest is infamy.

Crashing into a wall and not a tyre barrier certainly didn't help.

*I find it weird that of the four alterations to the track, two were kinks turned into chicanes and the other two were chicanes turned into kinks.

GrandPrix_Circuit_San_Marino_Changes.svg

Last edited:
So is this coming to Blu Ray in March? I know it's on Netflix but not on the Canadian Netflix and I'm starting to go crazy, I just want to watch it!

MazdaPrice

He died if a Basal skull fracture

MazdaPrice
Have you seen his head rolling after the smash? It really makes me feel insecure about my neck when I watch it.

Yes :( I'm a driver myself and it doesn't scare me though. I understand the risks and it's my passion so I don't care what happens. I wear a Leatt neck. Race for karting. A lot I people do I is to protect their neck. Some people wear as they are called "donuts" which strap around your neck. But, when into to the national races and most kids in Europe son wear any neck protection! From 6.5 HP Hondas to 75 HP superkarts the sleepovers have no neck protection whatsoever! I dot understand this. It must balance be weight of your head better, but you would need a strong neck

Sadly fixed for you.

Two marshalls; one at Monza 2000 (Multiple pile-up; flying debris) and the other at Albert Park 2001 (Villeneuve aileron roll-come-somersault; flying tyre).

I saw both live. Feel like an idiot for forgetting.

*I find it weird that of the four alterations to the track, two were kinks turned into chicanes and the other two were chicanes turned into kinks.
The thing that annoyed me the most is they removed my favourite corner. The right hander uphill between acque minerale and the variante alta.

Linked for tact.
Flying debris killed a marshall.

---

Back on topic, I'll reiterate the point I raised before; does anybody know why Barrichello wasn't interviewed for the film?

Last edited:
Isn't that against the AUP Mazdaprice? My internet is too slow to even buffer that, so I can't be sure.

That's horrible. Then what happened in 2001?

Jacques Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher got together, it sent Villeneuve flipping and a tire got flung through a gap in the catch fence and struck a marshal.

Back