Sense of speed in GT5 (Sound)

  • Thread starter Thread starter StogyBear
  • 67 comments
  • 5,899 views
Messages
323
Messages
StogyBear
I think I have realized why you can't feel how fast you're going in GT5. Its from the lack of sounds. PD has great attention to detail when it comes to car models, but sounds on the other hand, are greatly overlooked.

Look at the new NFS title thats coming out. Listen to the amount of sounds being played in the cockpit and how immersive it feels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_BNtTxQdw
 
the sensation is good for me, it is the same as other GT games

GT is not NFS
 
I thought the sense of speed had improved a lot over GT4, along with the wheel feedback and all it really makes it feel alive driving a fast car...
 
I did see the movie and still stand by my previous post
 
OP Do you play GT5 in surround sound or through your speakers on the TV? I utilize a ButtKicker while playing and have the Background music turned off so I can focus on the engine and my shift points. The sense of speed to me in my opinion is just fine and more realistic than the arcade style sense of speed I get from Shift of any other NFS title. Along with the BK I do have a full surround sound with Sub and I enjoy GT5.
 
The best game for a sense of speed I think is Test Drive Unlimited. This game also has the best cockpit view of them all IMO (still has hands though, but better). The game allow you to set the amount of camera shake and motion blur, and while turned all the way up can be annoying, just a little bit of each makes a world of difference.
TDU also automatically turns the camera in cockpit view when taking corners, and although its not adjustable, I think they got it just right.
I was expecting this sort of awesome "camera" work from GT5...maybe it will come in an update...
Thinking about sense of speed a bit more, I think even the original 'Need For Speed' gave a better sense of how fast you were travelling, but maybe thats nostalgia or something :P
 
Sense of speed is good in GT5, but I think even in Shift it was better...
 
Sense of Speed in GT5 is fantastic for me, it's terrifying at times - Nurburgring!
 
I think the problem is that you don't have peripheral vision like in real life. Other games use ridiculous motion bluring and shaking cameras to try to make it more frantic, but it doesn't really feel that much faster. I would imagine using a triple screen setup would make GT feel realisticly fast. In real life you can see everything rushing by out of the corner of your eye.

I don't think the sound really effects the sense of speed too much. Especially in this trailer, it didn't help to much. What gave you the sense of speed was the shaky camera angles, which makes you kinda sick.

The only thing sound wise that I feel got turned down a bit in GT5 was the wind noise. That is something you can really hear in real life. I wish it were more pronounced. I hear a good stereo helps, but I have to use the TV speakers.
 
To get any sense of speed at all I have to use the bumper cam. I don't know how anyone manages to drive with the exterior cam at all, it's painfully slow.
 
i always drive in bumper cam because it seems to give a better sense of the speed you're going.
 
The sense of speed in GT5 is pretty good. It's possible to drive realistic lap-times in GT5 so the speed and the distance you travel should be accurate. Many people are just spoiled by all the motion-blur in other racers. Also race tracks are usually pretty wide. Drive some 200km/h on a wide autobahn, it really does not look that fast. In reality lots of things affect you sense of speed, the surroundings, your position in the car, the size of the car's windows, even the music you are playing. It's all relative.
 
Sense of speed is not realistic.

I've driven at 140mph and is nothing like in the game (it's a hell of a lot more scary for a start)
 
Sense of speed is not realistic.

I've driven at 140mph and is nothing like in the game (it's a hell of a lot more scary for a start)

Sense of speed is amplified by the fear of crashing etc, so it can't be realistic - it's about getting the best sense of speed you can.

Either way, though, a trailer as evidence is hopeless, even if GT isn't perfect for the sense of speed.
 
I find the sense of speed to be very poor in GT5... this is in large evidenced by the fact that everyone I know (including those who actually know to straight line brake into a corner and understand that it's not an arcade game) routinely flies off corners because they don't realize they are going too fast... repeatedly.

It even happens to me sometimes still... I realized a while back I know the correct speed for a corner not by how fast I appear to be going but rather by dropping into the correct gear and braking approximately the "right" amount of time.

I think the problem is a sense of speed is GT tries to be very pure and realistic looking so no crazy fisheye camera or drawn on motion blur or forced tunnel vision... but when you are looking at a flat screen, many feet away from you with no peripheral vision to assist your feeling of speed and no momentum change to tell your inner ear how fast you are going (most important) that being pure means you simply lack enough inputs to get a good sense of speed.
 
When driving in real life at speed what ever is in your periphial vision becomes very blurry (roadside objects, trees etc). In GT5 you don't have any periphial vision, so you don't see the blur. Games that blur whats in front of you at speed IMO are getting it wrong.
 
Sense of speed is not realistic.

I've driven at 140mph and is nothing like in the game (it's a hell of a lot more scary for a start)

Of course its more scary if you sit in the car with your own butt, it's nothing like that on the couch in front of you TV.
 
Dunno, the sense of speed is kinda okay in GT5. It's not that good, but definitely a lot better than in previous iterations of the franchise.
However, i agree with the OP in that GT5 lacks a lot of those finer noises while racing, mostly the creaking suspension. Grid did that better, in my opinion, at least as far as race cars are concerned. GT5 feels a little sterile in that regard, as all you can hear is the noise of the engine and the tyres...
 
When driving in real life at speed what ever is in your periphial vision becomes very blurry (roadside objects, trees etc). In GT5 you don't have any periphial vision, so you don't see the blur. Games that blur whats in front of you at speed IMO are getting it wrong.

I don't think any games blur what's in front of you per se... usually the blur occurs to the things near the edges of the set which I guess are technically still in front of you, but are as peripheral as it gets in the game...
 
In real life it's not just what you see that gives you a sense of speed either.
You feel the vibrations from the road and car transmitted through the wheel, pedals and seat as well as the effect of G-forces and peripheral vision.

Most of which you can't get in a game.

Personally I think GT5 does quite well at communicating speed to you as most of us are just sat on a couch and watching a 2D screen.
 
I don't think any games blur what's in front of you per se... usually the blur occurs to the things near the edges of the set which I guess are technically still in front of you, but are as peripheral as it gets in the game...

I was referring to Shift which does what you say, but goes a bit overboard. It reminds me a little of the Nitrous effects on other NFS games :yuck:
 
Generating a proper sense of speed in a game is not easy. The thing that gives me the biggest feedback of the speed in the real world is the car behaving differently. I feel the front of my car getting lighter, and bumps unsettle the car much more. Since I don't feel that in the game, it has to give me a feeling for speed by other means.

And still, most driving games I have come across provide a better sense of speed than Gran Turismo does, even if there are no artificial effects involved. I don't know why this is exactly. I suspect the superclean, almost aseptic graphics of GT to be the reason. I think that the sense of speed is slightly better in GT5 compared to earlier GTs though.
 
I find the sense of speed perfect, driving in cockpitview without HUD in a fast car feels awesome on tracks like the Nürburgring or Le Mans. I hate motion blur in simulation games and I found it terrible in Shift, actually I found Shift felt slower with all the stupid shaking and blurring.
 
I think I have realized why you can't feel how fast you're going in GT5. Its from the lack of sounds. PD has great attention to detail when it comes to car models, but sounds on the other hand, are greatly overlooked.

Look at the new NFS title thats coming out. Listen to the amount of sounds being played in the cockpit and how immersive it feels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_BNtTxQdw

It's absolutely not cause by the sound issue,
the reason is something about "focal length".
Most of the arcade style race game are using short focal length cam setting to create a wide angle scene let you see more on both side,it's let people visually feeling the speed much more faster on a 4:3/ 16:9 screen cause by the compression of perspective.
GT SERIES using focal length near human eye vision, it's longer then most other racing game. but because the screen limitation,
under this focal length setting ,we can't see picture area that's out of the screen,that's why people also complain GT series not much "sense of speed".
this is the truth~:)
P.S.
"moving object" (relatively ,actually you are the "moving object" when you driving a car) on left and right side visually moving faster then the object in front of you at the same speed, so seeing more on the both side, the sense of speed will increase .
This is the reason why the Sega F355 simulator using 3 screen to compose the complete picture.
 
Last edited:
It's absolutely not cause by the sound issue,
the reason is something about "focal length".
Most of the arcade style race game are using short focal length cam setting to create a wide angle scene let you see more on both side,it's let people visually feeling the speed much more faster on a 4:3/ 16:9 screen cause by the compression of perspective.
GT SERIES using focal length near human eye vision, it's longer then most other racing game. but because the screen limitation,
under this focal length setting ,we can't see picture area that's out of the screen,that's why people also complain GT series not much "sense of speed".
this is the truth~:)

I think you are getting your terms and explanations mixed up because that didn't really make sense...
 
Sense of speed in GT5 depends on the car you use. The only time it's unsatisfying is with the exterior cam. If they let you zoom in on the bumper that could easily be corrected however.

The problem with the arcade racers such as Need for Speed is that the motion blur really doesn't give you any varying sense of speed except for fast and faster. IMO, the feeling I get from GT5 is a serious step up from those games.
 
I think you are getting your terms and explanations mixed up because that didn't really make sense...
that's not my problem to let you know something that's you never understand.
this is some basic & simple visual theory .
 
I think you are getting your terms and explanations mixed up because that didn't really make sense...

I think what he's saying is many other racing games use a wider field of view than GT5 does in order to show more of your surroundings.

If compared to a camera, the human eye has a "focal length" of about 50 mm, anything less than that is considered "wide." When you use a really short focal length, the center of image is fine, but the perimeters tend to get distorted and stretched. Try some really wide-angle shots in photomode and you'll see what I mean. So when you're playing a game with a wider field of view, not only do you see your surroundings rushing past, but the things in your "peripheral vision" (ie. the stuff on the edges of the screen) is being stretched AND blurred. But in GT5 where the field of view is similar to the human eye, we're missing out on all that extra information from our peripheral because the game isn't adjusting for it.

Nothing in this post should be taken as fact and you would be ill-advised to take it as such.
 
Back