Sequential Shifting w/2-Pedal System

United States
Washington State
Quick question..

I have a set of ECCI Trackstar Pedals, as seen here:

Seeing as I have no 'clutch', how will this hinder me in iRacing?

Thanks!

It won't, for the most part. There are auto shift, auto blip, and auto clutch settings. I used the auto blip when I had a DFGT. On most cars, There is no need a clutch if you blip anyway

Lol, If you didn't use the aid, there is a chance you may be able to make a faster shift, but disabling aids makes it more likely to miss a shift, in which case you'll need the clutch to get back into gear. You can map a clutch button too. But I have found that way more difficult than using a normal clutch. Which is why I used auto blip when I had a DFGT. All official sessions & 99.9% of hosted sessions allow shifting aids since the DFGT is a very common wheel. In fact one of the iRacing world champions uses one I believe.

Yeah back when I was playing there were (and I imagine there still are) huge debates about how much slower you will be using the auto clutch/blip/shift aids. But I really don't think it will ever be noticeable until you get your pro license anyway. Plus there are some cars that even if you have a full 3 pedal and H pattern setup still use the sequential settings or paddles. I remember the Williams and Jetta being this way but it has been more than a year since I was last in iRacing so there maybe more cars on that list now.

Saw a video by someone on Youtube named "Empty Box"....he was heel-toeing..while using paddle shifters..and I was like...Why...I thought the whole essence of paddle/sequential shifters was to NOT use a clutch in the 1st place?

There is a slight time penalty for using aids in Iracing. So maybe he was avoiding that, but only has paddle shifter.

Fatkrakr...thanks for the added info!

Looks like to avoid any penalties when I start getting into iRacing here pretty soon...I'll have to consider another pedal set that actually has a "clutch"...

In some cars having a clutch definitely helps you out. I have ECCI pedals too, although I do have a clutch on mine. The Skippy is the car I raced the most and I can tell you that if there's an aspect in which clutch is king, it's the start of the race. Having a clutch makes your acceleration from standstill considerably better than using auto clutch. Upshifting is also faster by letting go of the throttle, but this one is marginal.

Auto-clutch is acceptable and won't hinder you too much, but you must absolutely learn to blip the throttle yourself.

EDIT to clarify: This isn't the case with all cars. It depends on the kind of transmission they have. Having a clutch works great with the Skippy because the real car's transmission lets you upshift and downshift without the clutch (they teach you how to do it in their racing school).

A few other cars have the same transmission type as the Skippy, but you will probably have to do some research to see if the series you're interested in have them as well.

Saw a video by someone on Youtube named "Empty Box"....he was heel-toeing..while using paddle shifters..and I was like...Why...I thought the whole essence of paddle/sequential shifters was to NOT use a clutch in the 1st place?

A lot of real life racing cars still have three pedals but with sequential shifter, why, I don't know, but try and watch some YouTube videos of pedal cams and you'll see, especially BTCC and V8 Supercars which have brilliant cameras on board.

It seems they use the clutch sometimes but not always. I guess it comes down to preference and whether the car can mechanically cope with out a foot clutch. As for in iRacing, blipping will help improve rev matching and car stability so even though you're using paddles / shifter lever, every little helps I guess.

thanks for the great replies mavrky_gt & Coxis...will take all of what you guys said into consideration when the time comes to get going w/iRacing! :)

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I am racing in the Mazda Cup and I am noticing that sometimes I can exit a corner faster than someone yet lose time down the straight. I've also noticed that the fastest drivers are also the ones who blow up their engines. There has to be a technique using the clutch that gains time.

I am sure I am losing time because I am not using a clutch. Its annoying, especially since one of the fastest guys in the MX5 is a guy who is far slower than me in GT5/6, I know his skill level is not quite there.

The real question I have is does this technique also work in cars that in real life have no manual clutch? I assume most if not all GT3 class cars have paddle shifters and no clutch?

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I am racing in the Mazda Cup and I am noticing that sometimes I can exit a corner faster than someone yet lose time down the straight. I've also noticed that the fastest drivers are also the ones who blow up their engines. There has to be a technique using the clutch that gains time.

I am sure I am losing time because I am not using a clutch. Its annoying, especially since one of the fastest guys in the MX5 is a guy who is far slower than me in GT5/6, I know his skill level is not quite there.

The real question I have is does this technique also work in cars that in real life have no manual clutch? I assume most if not all GT3 class cars have paddle shifters and no clutch?
In Iracing there is a time penalty for using aids. So its not that there is a trick to using a clutch just no delay in your shifts with all aids off.

If the car has no clutch you wont be able to select a driving aide, but I think all the Iracing cars use a clutch. Im not sure though.
If the car doesn't have a clutch you'll still be able to select aids, such as auto-blip. I'm pretty sure there are several cars without a clutch, such as the DP.

If the car doesn't have a clutch you'll still be able to select aids, such as auto-blip. I'm pretty sure there are several cars without a clutch, such as the DP.

All of the cars have a clutch, none are CVT or use a torque converter (possible exception being the Sprint Car as it's one speed, direct drive). You don't have to use the clutch manually on several cars to shift though due to their gearbox.

Best option if you have two pedals is to use auto clutch, or use a button clutch and only race the cars that don't require you to use it to shift properly.

All of the cars have a clutch, none are CVT or use a torque converter (possible exception being the Sprint Car as it's one speed, direct drive). You don't have to use the clutch manually on several cars to shift though due to their gearbox.

Best option if you have two pedals is to use auto clutch, or use a button clutch and only race the cars that don't require you to use it to shift properly.

So with cars like the 12C GT3 which does not have a manual clutch for its sequential gearbox you can still use a clutch and will get a penalty for not using this fantasy manual clutch?

Last edited:
So with cars like the 12C GT3 which does not have a manual clutch for its sequential gearbox you can still use a clutch and will get a penalty for not using this fantasy manual clutch?
There is no penalties for using aids however in most series some aids are disabled like the racing line. Why you would want to use a clutch in a sequential gearbox car is beyond me since your just slowing yourself down.

There is no penalties for using aids however in most series some aids are disabled like the racing line. Why you would want to use a clutch in a sequential gearbox car is beyond me since your just slowing yourself down.
There is a penalty for using aides in Iracing. If you don't believe it take the MX5 around the track with auto clutch on and then off. You can hear the penalty with every shift and your times will also show the penalty in your lap times. Its a couple hundredths a shift, which will add up to a few tenths a lap depending on amount of shifting per lap.

Last edited:
A lot of real life racing cars still have three pedals but with sequential shifter, why, I don't know, but try and watch some YouTube videos of pedal cams and you'll see, especially BTCC and V8 Supercars which have brilliant cameras on board.

It seems they use the clutch sometimes but not always. I guess it comes down to preference and whether the car can mechanically cope with out a foot clutch. As for in iRacing, blipping will help improve rev matching and car stability so even though you're using paddles / shifter lever, every little helps I guess.
Sequentials are still manual gearboxes, they just shift differently. You still have to use the clutch when stopped and to launch the car, from what I understand, but don't need to use it to shift.

Back