Server issues announcement! PS+ version info.

• Thread starter Brit999
  • 38 comments
gtp_brit999
This taken from the driveclub facebook page. Sorry if it is a repost, but I have not seen it here on the forum.

Hi Everyone,

With DRIVECLUB, we are dedicated to delivering a dynamic and socially connected racing game that everyone can enjoy, and along the way we're facing new challenges which we haven’t encountered as a development team before. We are seeing a lot of activity and new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits.

We are sorry if you are having a hard time getting online as we know many of you are. Please be aware that the game will automatically keep trying to connect you. Once you're online, you should have no further problems during your session.

Everyone at the studio is now working hard to get new updates ready for the game servers to improve connectivity. We will be rolling out these updates day by day and will keep you informed.

In order to help all DRIVECLUB players who have the game already, we're temporarily holding back the PS Plus Edition and the My DRIVECLUB app to ease the load and traffic to the servers. This should give players a better chance of connecting to the game servers and, once the servers are operating well, we’ll be sure to let you know when the PS Plus Edition and My DRIVECLUB app will be available to download.

To our PS Plus fans, we're sorry you're having to wait longer to play, but we want to ensure that when you come on board, you get the best experience possible. Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DRIVECLUB digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DRIVECLUB tour. You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.

We fully appreciate how frustrating this is for everyone. We want you to get online with your club because racing, challenging and having fun together is what the game is all about. We know that racing with your friends online is what you’ve been waiting for and we are doing everything we can to deliver that experience to you as soon as possible.

Sorry again for the difficult start. We’ll keep you regularly updated on our progress as we work round the clock to improve connectivity. We want everyone to know what's happening so please tag your DRIVECLUB friends or SHARE this message to let them know.

- Rushy

Hope this helps.

It's in the main DriveClub thread, the psn DriveClub thread and probably a few other DriveClub threads, other than that nice spot.

Facebook, already posted by Jose Frias in Driveclub thread also.

Driveclub Facebook
We are working hard to get everyone online as soon as possible.
We have just released another server update that has increased the number of players racing which is good news, but in order to keep building on these numbers we will be running further updates in the coming days that will affect availability of some of the online game features.

Some functions are temporarily unavailable including challenges and social updates, but for those of you that can connect, you will still be able to participate in clubs, leaderboards and online multiplayer races.

This is in addition to the single player Tour mode, custom solo events and car customisation that are available even when you're not connected. We appreciate this isn't ideal but this is really the best way for us to improve server performance and online play for everybody, and we will be switching on these features as further progress is made.

Thanks for bearing with us and sending us your supportive comments. Believe us, we know how frustrating this is for you and we are working non-stop to find the best solution to get you all connected and racing together online.

And IQs in the comments section just dropped even further.

As that was fifteen hours ago, I should think that another status update is due.

Facebook

Driveclub Facebook
Continual upgrades to the DRIVECLUB servers are building a steady increase in performance, meaning that we're getting more and more players connected.

The next server update is coming within 24 hours and will mean we can start to switch on more of the online features, so that you will be able to play more of DRIVECLUB online.

We are sorry that we don't have more concrete news to share right now, but please be patient. We will have more information for you tomorrow.

Im pretty sure the ONLY reason why any server issue is possibly clearing up is due to less and less people playing the game the further and further we get away from launch. If they let the PS+ guys on we'll be back to square one.

How sad 8 days after I bought the game I havent been able to turn a single lap in an online race.

Mine was on and off this weekend. It was online more than offline however, but I would tend to agree with @Earth that once the free version is made available, you're going to see a lot more downtime.

Another fine example why to avoid purchasing games/products on release. Launch mishaps don't happen 100% of the time, but they're very common nowadays.

Im pretty sure the ONLY reason why any server issue is possibly clearing up is due to less and less people playing the game the further and further we get away from launch. If they let the PS+ guys on we'll be back to square one.

How sad 8 days after I bought the game I havent been able to turn a single lap in an online race.
They confirmed that this isn't an issue with the number of people playing, but a bug in the server.
I was online almost the whole time today by the way, leadboards were acting up though.

Another fine example why to avoid purchasing games/products on release. Launch mishaps don't happen 100% of the time, but they're very common nowadays.
I'd amend that to say that online heavy games will face the same issues that DRIVECLUB is suffering. I'm willing to bet that The Phantom Pain will suffer the same fate if they're not careful in server design.

Though to be honest, in a related point, we know that The Phantom Pain's online will be handled by Kojima's LA studio, but who is doing the online for DRIVECLUB, and is it a Western company?

I'd amend that to say that online heavy games will face the same issues that DRIVECLUB is suffering. I'm willing to bet that The Phantom Pain will suffer the same fate if they're not careful in server design.

Though to be honest, in a related point, we know that The Phantom Pain's online will be handled by Kojima's LA studio, but who is doing the online for DRIVECLUB, and is it a Western company?
Destiny worked like a champ on day one and had a LOT more active players. Not sure where a western company comes into this discussion.

Destiny worked like a champ on day one and had a LOT more active players. Not sure where a western company comes into this discussion.
My point was that western developers generally have better online because of what @GTPorsche said, they do alpha and beta testing of their online servers to make sure that the servers can handle the load of the traffic that is going into a particular game. That is why DC Universe Online and Warcraft is one of the better MMORPGs out there because of all of the beta testing the developers and publishers put into their servers.

Japanese developers and players are a different animal. Not too long ago Square Enix announced that they were going to take out the online features of Final Fantasy Type-0 because none of the Japanese players were using it. It isn't because the developers have failed to realize that the online gaming subculture isn't isolated to Japan, and thus the netcode is optimized for Asian connections, but rather that the Japanese gaming culture as a whole is not really inclusive. That is why games like Final Fantasy (let's be honest here, they were the only game in town for JRPGs for 25 years before the acceptance of the Tales franchise which started around 1993) dictate the gaming culture in America for years.

Then came games like Elder Scrolls and Warcraft. They showed that the West has some pretty solid ideas as well and don't deserve to play second fiddle to the Japanese. That is why they are successful now in the online gaming biz than anything that the Japanese could put out.

Facebook

Driveclub Facebook
After more successful upgrades and updates to the servers today, performance continues to improve and more of you will be able to play online together.

We're still working, and will be around the clock, to keep improving social connectivity and online play, and we are pleased to say we have also added in friendly leaderboards now.

We will have info about more updates to the game and the servers soon. In the mean time, while this work continues, we are also paying attention to all of the feedback and comments you're sharing with us too - so please keep sharing so that we can keep improving the game and giving you more to play for.

Yeah, successful upgrades my 🤬. I have been able to connect to the server once (!) since Saturday and even then nothing worked, only loading circles showing. Love the game itself but this is a pathetic joke a week after release.

#fedupwitdaevobull

Over ten hours ago, there was an update announcement on FB:

Over the next 24 hours we are rolling out a new game update alongside server upgrades that will help to improve server performance, clubs and multiplayer functionality.

We are also running essential diagnostics periodically to help us continue to improve server performance, which may disrupt online play for you when you get connected. This will be kept to a minimum.

We're glad that more of you are getting to play online but we are sorry that many players are still having a hard time getting connected. We are working around the clock to improve connectivity and will keep you informed as we continue to make progress.

Yeah great update. Except for the small fact that I get an error message trying to download it and cant access online functionality/multiplayer at all until I get that update. Beggars belief that they actually could 🤬 up even more than they did already. I m so fed up with all this bull.

Yeah great update. Except for the small fact that I get an error message trying to download it and cant access online functionality/multiplayer at all until I get that update. Beggars belief that they actually could 🤬 up even more than they did already. I m so fed up with all this bull.
I had the same last night. I deleted the notification that the file could not load and up popped a new one which installed in a few seconds.

EDIT: Ahh, I see you got there anyway in your post on another thread.

That last update seemingly was a great waste of time - took me a day and a half to get it to actually download and then no difference if not actually worse, haven't been able to connect to the server at all since the update installed, at least it was intermittent before. :grumpy:

In other news:
From Driveclub on FaceBook
We can see that the majority of you can now get online, but we know that at peak times of the day it can still be hard to get connected, so we are still working to improve connectivity with every update to the servers.

We can also see that when you do get connected, some of you are having a hard time getting into multiplayer races and that posting leaderboard results can sometimes take a lot longer than you'd expect.

These connectivity issues stem from the same unforeseen server problem that we've been working to get on top of since we launched DRIVECLUB, and while we are getting on top of the problem now, we are still working round the clock to keep improving gameplay for you. This means there will be regular server updates in the coming days to get all of you connected and enjoying all of DRIVECLUB all of the time.

We will continue to keep you up to speed with the improvements we make and would like to thank you again for all of your feedback and messages about your time with the game so far - please keep them coming.

That was posted yesterday and apologies also about the PS+ version delay - no announcements until concrete info can be put up.

It does seem a lot more stable, that is to say, this is the best I've seen it so far. I could even get online too.

Today's update...

https://m.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/714925838591779

As more servers come online and regular server updates are rolling out we are steadily improving connectivity for everybody.

Improving server performance is taking time, which is frustrating for all of us, but please understand that we are doing everything we can to get all aspects of online play up and running smoothly as quickly as possible.

We've also made changes today in Multiplayer to ensure that there are more events available to you, and that you have more variety when you choose to race with and against other drivers online.

We will keep you up to date as we improve server performance for all aspects of online play. Thank you again for your support while this work continues.

Anyone have an answer to my earlier question of releasing the ps+ version without online functionality while it's being " fixed"? I know it might harm sales of the full game but didn't they think it through before announcing it?

Latest Posts

Back