Setup Vs. Setup: Shelby Cobra Coupe, was Jaguar XJR-15

• Thread starter sucahyo
  • 69 comments
Hi Guys,
Sorry this is coming a day later than I expected. I keep forgetting:dopey: to bring my settings to work which are jotted down on paper. I don't have internet at home right now. I will likely get it in the next few months.

I loved the Jaguar XJR-15 right from the start for this track. I also am pretty certain I posted my best times with it at Grand Valley. (My arcade record was an aweful 1:52xxx.) I felt the stability you all talked about. This car makes tight corners easy. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play GT2 for more than a few minutes on the trip because the adapter would overheat after 2 minutes of play.:ouch: :crazy: :ouch: :crazy: :grumpy: :grumpy: I have been able to work on these settings for about an hour, maybe.

I currently have a 1:43.xxx best lap time.

Here are my settings to the best of my memory until I get my hard copy:

Ride Height 80/80 mm
Springs: 16/12.8
Damper: 7/7 7/7
toe: 0
Camber: same as stock
Down Force: Max
LSD: Init. 6
Accel: 56
Decel: 25
Auto Gear: 15
TCS: 4 -kind of embarressing:embarrassed: - I tuned this same Jag XJR a few months ago. I didn't have the credits when I got back from the trip so I just used my old one. I forgot to take off the TCS until my last few attempts. I did however post a few 1:44's without it on afterwards.:dopey: :D

Stingray-Man
Shelby Cobra Coupe on Rome Night.👍 I love the Cobra Coupe, but where do I find Rome night? You have a rookie here.:lol:

Rome NIte is on the Arcade Disc, along with Autumn Ring Mini and Motorsport Land. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to unlock it if you've not done any Arcade races yet. If you've won alot of races on your Sim disc, you can try using that same memory card on you Arcade...that mite open up some of the tracks...i forget.

Anyways, just tried your car, Angel. Just gotta say there's no shame in using TCS. With a setting of 4, it is barely on anyways. In general, the traction and stability controls of GT2 don't work very well...not like they do in GT3. Ironically, they don't cost anything in gT3, either. I seldom use TCs or ASC these days, but i can remember relying on TCS alot when i drove a Corvette Grand Sport 2 years ago in the World Cup and Rome & SSR5 enduros. It sure cuts back on the tire wear in those enduros if you're like me and you just want to floor it out of corners.

Besides the gears and super soft tires, your car is almost stock. I got an amazing 1:41.860 on my second lap. I say it's amazing because i didn't really try too hard..my driving was a little sloppy. Huh.

Ok, Cobra coupe in rome night.

With 1 second faster using TCS, I'll say TCS is powerfull ! And it isn't only work in acceleration, it help braking too (Scaff test says it do not work in GT4 though)!

I went and tried sucahyo settings to see what lap time i could get,
and like the settings for the Elise GT1, i'm very happy with them:D.
Here's the lap time.

1:39:369

And i got a new lap time with Parnelli Bone's settings too.

1:40:479

sucahyo
Ok, Cobra coupe in rome night.

Ok..:D.

AngelCreator
I went and tried sucahyo settings to see what lap time i could get,
and like the settings for the Elise GT1, i'm very happy with them:D.
The improvement mainly from Parnelli Bone critics :dopey:, my previous one is harder to handle :ouch:.

Stingray-Man
I currently have a 1:43.xxx best lap time.

Here are my settings to the best of my memory until I get my hard copy:

Ride Height 80/80 mm
Springs: 16/12.8
Damper: 7/7 7/7
toe: 0
Camber: same as stock
Down Force: Max
LSD: Init. 6
Accel: 56
Decel: 25
Auto Gear: 15
TCS: 4 -kind of embarressing:embarrassed: - I tuned this same Jag XJR a few months ago. I didn't have the credits when I got back from the trip so I just used my old one. I forgot to take off the TCS until my last few attempts. I did however post a few 1:44's without it on afterwards.:dopey: :D

Actually my Spring Rate was: 15.8/13.8
Auto Gear:14
Stab.: 4/4 same as stock anyway, I think.
Downforce: .62/.95 I think that is Max.
LSD Decel: 26

I'm not ready to do the Cobra yet...i won't have time till maybe Sunday, so hang tight! :) ¬

Ok,

I try your setting Stingray-Man, I feel the car is closer to Parnelli Bone's setting, but with more bouncing. But overall it still handle nicely :).

I try some quick run in rome night using cobra, 1:44 :ouch:. The AI can reach 1:35 :crazy:. Maybe its time to learn from the AI ghost :P.

@sucahyo
Why did you change your settings:confused:, why i say this is i got the
fastest lap time with your old settings.

1:38:915:odd:

Wow, that is quick 👍!
Feel any handling differences ?
I change the setting to make the car hopefully more easier to control in low speed corner.

Done finishing training in rome night :), I got better time that AI atleast :D.

sucahyo
Wow, that is quick 👍!
Feel any handling differences ?
I change the setting to make the car hopefully more easier to control in low speed corner.

Well i think the thing is, i change my driving style to fit the way the
car handles so i can push the car as fast as it can go.....well most
of the time:). And i did feel the car turn better and it's not hard to control
in any of the corners.

I went and tried the cobra, here is one of my times.

1:35:642/Shelby Cobra Coupe/Stock
The car is very stable, it has some understeer if you push it too hard
into the the corner, but not a bad car. And it sounds cool:).

I can get about 1:32 using initial setting, I think the key to this track tuning is to make the car corner well in the first half, so we don't have to use brake often.
Yes, the engine noise is very cool, especially if you hear it rev from low rpm :).

Here are some more times.

1:32:122/Shelby Cobra Coupe/Tuned/Normal Tires
Like before the car is very stable, just no understeer.
It's very neutral and easy to drive. Here are my settings.
The more i drive the car, the cooler it sounds:drool:.

13.0/12.0
95/95
4/4
3/3
3.0/1.0
0.00/0.00
0.78/0.99
15​

1:29:653/Shelby Cobra Coupe/Tuned/Racing Super Softs
Wow, this car is fast. It handies very good and like the Jaguar
it's fast for the HP. I can't believe i missed this car.

Shelby Cobra Coupe
at Rome Night

Pros:
This car is fast. It has plenty of downforce normally found on race car, small and light body, with power little bit too much for its size. And you can't ignore the engine sound, it's so nice :).

Cons:
Although this car is light, it has plenty of body roll. This body roll can mess the handling if the car not carefully tuned. This car also feel understeer on fast corner, get spin easily on slow corner. This car also have spiky power figure, make it unsuitable for auto transmission, we should shift below 7200 rpm to avoid the power drop if we use manual.

Driving:
When I first driving this car in rome night I slide all over the place. So the first thing I do to my tuning is to use -0.20 rear toe to help exiting drift easier. And next I use max LSD to help me control the car in corner braking and acceleration.
Finding the correct spring rate for this car is hard. My usual softer front spring rate do not result in more oversteer as much as I needed. Using a even more softer front also make this car go back to understeer again. Using extreme stiffer front make the car oversteer, but I will not use that because it make the car front jiggling. I end up using lower front spring, not to make it more oversteer, but to make it more stable in corner.
To reduce rear jiggling I use extreme front rear damper. I usually use 10/1, but using it will result in more uncontrollable cornering.
I still notice some roll on this car, so I use 1.0 front camber. Funny that 0.5 camber feel more understeer than 0.0 or 1.0 for me :confused: . I try using 2.0 but it makes the car more understeer than 0.0.
To add some oversteer I use more rear camber it become 0.8/1.0.

Tuning Chart:
Spring Rate: 16.0 - 20.0
Ride Height: 95 - 150
Damper Bound: 1 - 10
Damper Rebound: 1 - 10
Camber: 0.8 - 1.0
Toe: 0.00 - 0.00
Stabilizer: 1 - 1

Brake Balance: N/A

Gear: Auto 9 at 2.820 (stock)
1st - 3.925
2nd - 2.811
3rd - 2.187
4th - 1.714
5th - 1.387
Final Drive - 2.500

Downforce: 0.78 - 0.99
LSD Initial: 56
LSD Accelerate: 56
LSD Decelerate: 56

Lap time: 1:31.xxx
(using auto and supersoft tire)

Nice picture, what GPU are you using? Good time, i will try your
settings and see what time i get:).

I tried your settings and this is the time i got.

1:28:992

It's very fast in the first half but not as fast as mine in the 2nd
half, but it's still a good setup:tup:.

I am using onboard SIS, I capture the picture on 1600x1200 resolution (on 1024 monitor :P), then I shrink and blur it.

What a coincidence, I tune the car to make it fast on the first half :), because I am doing bad in the second half :dopey:. Still in learning mode :).

I try your car, it feel more understeer than mine, but easier to control in slow corner. Still trying to get the fast time.
Trying your car remind me that I can still play with rear camber to make it more oversteer, and I find driving this car with 10.0 rear camber is really fun :D. With +0.20 toe it become drift car :lol:

sucahyo
Trying your car remind me that I can still play with rear camber to make it more oversteer, and I find driving this car with 10.0 rear camber is really fun :D. With +0.20 toe it become drift car :lol:

:lol:, thats cool:tup:.

sucahyo
I am using onboard SIS, I capture the picture on 1600x1200 resolution (on 1024 monitor :P), then I shrink and blur it.

sorry:dunce:, I ment what GPU do you use with your emulator. I use
Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.8.

Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, but I think opengl version is better.
I use standard texture filtering, and I wish I have antialiasing. If your card support antialiasing, use it at max :).

sucahyo
I use P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9

OK:tup:, thanks for that because i can't get good sound all the time.
And I think I have the Texture filitering set high.
Well to get back to what we were doing, what car and track are next?

How about Motorsport Elise? it's very slippery even on super soft.
However I am still improving my shelby right now, I hope I can make it faster :).
Parnelli Bone and stingrayman, how about your cobra?

sucahyo
How about Motorsport Elise? it's very slippery even on super soft.
However I am still improving my shelby right now, I hope I can make it faster :).
Parnelli Bone and stingrayman, how about your cobra?

Yeah where are those two? I want to see there settings and times:).

Back