- 1,426
- Burammm
Oh okay, i just would of thought the ps3 could of handled it, but i guess not.
Not trying to be a Grammar-Nazi here, but please notice the difference between "of" and "have". "Of" makes no sense in the two instances you've used it in.
Oh okay, i just would of thought the ps3 could of handled it, but i guess not.
The opposite is actually true here...because the PS3 is so different than the 360, it suffers when games are made for the 360 and ported, because to actually USE to power of the PS3 games have to be coded very differently...
multiplatform games translate better when they are lead developed on the PS3, and ported to the 360 because less optimization is needed. Games that are absolutely identical on both systems are usually led on the PS3...
I cannot believe people are defending the Commodore 64 shadows in GT5. No way.![]()
Gt5p and UC2 have better shadows because time (and position of the sun) stay the same. This way a lot of the shadow calculations can be done on beforehand, stored in memory and used when necessary.
In gt5 the sun moves, shadows change a little bit every frame, and have to be recaclulated every time on the fly... To be able to do this they needed to downsize shadow quality.
So in short we pay some shadow quality, but we get the magic of dusk at Nurby. Taking this in mind I can live with those shadows easily.
PS: I am not a PD programmer, everything above are assumptions, but bigger and wronger assumptions have already been made in this thread![]()
Shadows are not that bad, really
ESCUDO 1800hpYes the shadows are really bad, really.
Games that are absolutely identical on both systems are usually led on the PS3...
Strangely, the shadows actually seem sharper to me on the tracks with day/night cycle.
But your idea means the shadows would only be bad on the tracks with day/night which just isn't the case.
I can't believe people think that the real time 60FPS rendering of shadows is like the Commodore 64.
![]()
Can you tell which platform this is on?
Go at Daytona Road watch the replay when the car not being close to the screen, it's simply to awful to tell.
I have never experienced a solid 60fps in GT5. It goes anywhere between 20-60 (generalization). If it was a constant 60fps, screen tearing would not exist (even without v-sync enabled).- 60fps: This is one that is very important for the game so im glad they stuck to it, but cutting the framerate in half would have GREATLY increased resources available for other areas...
GT5's lighting model looks like early PC "HDR" more akin to bloom. It is overly bright instead of being sublte like you see in other modern game engines. Subtle is more realistic as I have never been driving down a tunnel and had my entire vision turn white for a couple seconds like what happens in GT5 (or early HDR in PC games).- GT5's intensive lighting model: there is a reason the lighting in GT5 is so good...it takes up a lot of resources
Burnout Paradise - The devs talked about it multiple times. It also proved that leading dev on the PS3 proved to make a better end product as there is virtually no difference between the PS3 and 360 version.Could you name some?
......
......
I still don't see why people are complaining about the shadows so much... I've never noticed any glaring issues with them. The smoke pixelation and low-res textures on standards and tracks really gets to me but the shadows aren't such a big deal. I recently got Forza 3 and started playing that. There are almost no shadows at all on the interiors and I noticed that right away.
Just out of curiosity, are you normally using the in-car view? The shadows are easy to ignore when not, but are near impossible to ignore for me when the blocky things keep rolling over my dashboard and interior which is likely taking up 50% of the screen.If I take time to check out the shadows, yes, I notice they typically are crap.
no arguing here...my point still stands though...if PD cut the framerate in half and locked it at 30fps it would free up a TON of resources...the problems with that however is that you have input lag issues..I have never experienced a solid 60fps in GT5. It goes anywhere between 20-60 (generalization). If it was a constant 60fps, screen tearing would not exist (even without v-sync enabled).
GT5's lighting model looks like early PC "HDR" more akin to bloom. It is overly bright instead of being sublte like you see in other modern game engines. Subtle is more realistic as I have never been driving down a tunnel and had my entire vision turn white for a couple seconds like what happens in GT5 (or early HDR in PC games).
Yup, Burnout is a great example of a game led on the PS3 that turned out as close to identical as possibleBurnout Paradise - The devs talked about it multiple times. It also proved that leading dev on the PS3 proved to make a better end product as there is virtually no difference between the PS3 and 360 version.
Oh okay, i just would of thought the ps3 could of handled it, but i guess not.
1. Think of each Premium car as part of a level in Uncharted 2. about 2 or 3 of those cars probably has the same amount of detail and polygons. And there are over 200 of them. Then you add on top of that 800 standard cars and tracks.
2. Making a action adventure game and making a racing game are two completely things.
3. Doesn't the 1080p resolution only consume power if you have a 1080p TV? I don't I have a standard def TV.
4. They could only use the Cell processor for AA if it's not being used up. I mean, they've got lighting, car physics, tire physics, premium level detail, standard level detail....you also have to keep in mind that GT5 has over 1000 colors which would also consume power room. It would definitely chew up the graphics card power.dividing all that up isn't an easy task. And to be perfectly honest, if I were making GT5, thinking about everything that went into it, shadows would probably be pretty low on the list. And with 5 years and around $80million already sunk into it, another year and more money to fix some shadows would also seem like a waste of time and energy when the rest of the game is finished.
Just out of curiosity, are you normally using the in-car view? The shadows are easy to ignore when not, but are near impossible to ignore for me when the blocky things keep rolling over my dashboard and interior which is likely taking up 50% of the screen.
brambosNot trying to be a Grammar-Nazi here, but please notice the difference between "of" and "have". "Of" makes no sense in the two instances you've used it in.![]()
- i would seriously consider starting with a 720p native resolution and dumping the 1280x1080 mode...if they want to use 1080p for the menus and replays, then fine...but for gameplay stick with 1280x720 and be done with it
Is there a way to have the game display in 720 instead of 1080? If we could have the option to lower the res, I think that would help.
Ah, I typically use the bumper cam. Totally understand the shadow issue when using interior view though, I've definitely noticed it when I use the cockpit cam.