Shall I get the Crew 2?

By the way does anyone know what kind of game/sim is The Crew 2?
Can I still ply with it in my little corner even if I don't have internet connection?

Meaning that: do you to be connected to their server in order to play ? If so, if ever they decide to stop supporting the game, it will be obsolete?

In the rush of buying the digital copy, I forgot to ask this question.

You need Internet connection all the time. You also need Live subscription if on console.

For real ?!

Man this sucks big time for me because I don't have subscriptions for my ps4 pro because I don't that much time to dedicate to gaming...

I don't play on regular or typical schedule, only when it's convenient or when I need to decompress...

So did I just waste $18 for nothing?!!?

I am sorry you found out too late. I don't want to sound smart or something, but you should read the requirements next time. Still.. I can't see any reason why this game can't run in offline mode too.

No worries, I am not blaming anyone but myself.

Anyhow I am going to fire it up tomorrow and see how it goes... Will report back how much I am missing out on offline mode....if anything at all.

Erm... You can't play this game without + on PS4. You will just get a notification. There's no offline mode by design which is weird IMO.

Going back to PSN, it says the Online (portion) is Required... but nothing is stated about OFFline...
Without an explicit statement about offline gameplay, you leave the consumers to assume that there is an offline gameplay available...

View media item 61696

Anyway, thankfully i haven't downloaded the game onto my PS4, so i will request to have my game refunded.
I could subscribe to PSN + right now, but i already have so many games and so many other responsibilities than gaming, i cannot realistically dedicate my time on this game to take full advantage of it nor the PSN + subscription... and a game that forces me to be online all the time when my lifestyle is preventing me to do so, is an incompatible situation.

I will unfortunately have to request a refund on such a good deal.

View media item 61697

SO LONG CREW 2... one less thing to deal with.

For those in the same situation as me, DONT GET The Crew 2... It's just not worth it.

For those in the same situation as me, DONT GET The Crew 2... It's just not worth it.
I got it a few months back (on Xbox One, I have Xbox Live and all that), but managed to play maybe an hour before it was unplayable with the always online connection dropping. I don't have terrible internet access and have zero issues with any other game, so why Crew 2 won't work well is beyond me.

Honestly, I liked what I played and it was fun and reminded me of Test Drive Unlimited, which is what I was looking for, but what a waste of money.

awwww bugger hope you get your cash back. Steam did me up a treat over nomans sky they say if you don't have 2hrs play you can have a refund and I only had 1hr but waited for a patch and when it finely arrived it still sucked but now I owned the game to long and didnt get a refund from steam GRRRRRRR

Going back to PSN, it says the Online (portion) is Required... but nothing is stated about OFFline...
Without an explicit statement about offline gameplay, you leave the consumers to assume that there is an offline gameplay available...

View media item 61696

Anyway, thankfully i haven't downloaded the game onto my PS4, so i will request to have my game refunded.
I could subscribe to PSN + right now, but i already have so many games and so many other responsibilities than gaming, i cannot realistically dedicate my time on this game to take full advantage of it nor the PSN + subscription... and a game that forces me to be online all the time when my lifestyle is preventing me to do so, is an incompatible situation.

I will unfortunately have to request a refund on such a good deal.

View media item 61697

SO LONG CREW 2... one less thing to deal with.

This is very important to be aware of I think...

Sorry, but @strela is incorrect ... I have The Crew 2 but dont have PS Plus.

You DO need to be connected to internet to play any of the game. It is "always online".

But you ONLY need PS Plus for the PVP "Live Battle" mode. You can play ALL the other modes without PS Plus. Even the weekly Live Events dont require PS Plus.

I hope this helps and is in time for you.

(I have been playing rather obsessively the last few days having just started the game and am now at Icon 62 level).

I've just bought the new Eclipse, which sounds great in my opinion, nice pops from the engine too. They've done a decent job with it 👍

You don't need PS Plus or XBL Gold to play. That's only for PvP, joining your friends in a crew, and stuff like that.

You only need an active internet connection, and that's because it's all structured as an MMO driving game. The open world map is "free", even to interact with other players, and you can play all the map events solo.

OMG! @CTznOfTime I am so sorry. You only need the connection. I got the notification last week after my Gold ended and I didn't Played since. I tried before and it's working. I almost deleted it:dunce:
You should really try it! There is no other game out there (except the first one) that can give you this kind of road trip experience. Driving from coast to coast is a unique experience. It is worth way more than 18$. Try it.

This is very important to be aware of I think...

Sorry, but @strela is incorrect ... I have The Crew 2 but dont have PS Plus.

You DO need to be connected to internet to play any of the game. It is "always online".

But you ONLY need PS Plus for the PVP "Live Battle" mode. You can play ALL the other modes without PS Plus. Even the weekly Live Events dont require PS Plus.

I hope this helps and is in time for you.

(I have been playing rather obsessively the last few days having just started the game and am now at Icon 62 level).

I've just bought the new Eclipse, which sounds great in my opinion, nice pops from the engine too. They've done a decent job with it 👍

The good news is that i didn't get the refund yet. The shortage in customer service and the high demand means that i couldn't get through the lines and contact them yet...

i was planning on trying again to reach them tomorrow, but based on what you are saying, maybe i should reconsider keeping the game...

You don't need PS Plus or XBL Gold to play. That's only for PvP, joining your friends in a crew, and stuff like that.

You only need an active internet connection, and that's because it's all structured as an MMO driving game. The open world map is "free", even to interact with other players, and you can play all the map events solo.

... I have one question more to ask: If ever Ubisoft desides to stop supporting the game, then i will be out of luck right... no more playing as the virtual world resides on their servers and i cannot drive OFFline, right ?

but I guess for $18 i can play for a little bit, for a year or two then forget it then it will be just trash !

OMG! @CTznOfTime I am so sorry. You only need the connection. I got the notification last week after my Gold ended and I didn't Played since. I tried before and it's working. I almost deleted it:dunce:
You should really try it! There is no other game out there (except the first one) that can give you this kind of road trip experience. Driving from coast to coast is a unique experience. It is worth way more than 18$. Try it.

No worries, lucky i couldn't get the refund yet...

I was busy the whole afternoon trying to finish the update to my racing/simulation setup.
It used to be like this designed for the DFGT 10 years ago.
i-sL85gFc-L.jpg

I had to lower the rear parts so that i can put a shifter and be able to shift:

i-6HGfprD-L.jpg

I have one more thing to do tomorrow, which is to put the board for the shifter.

Roaming around, just casual drive, driving coast to coast the kind of experience i want, years ago, i missed and didn't get to play Test Drive Unlimited, and that's why i wanted to get The Crew 2...

So you all think i should keep the game right ?

Last edited:
The good news is that i didn't get the refund yet. The shortage in customer service and the high demand means that i couldn't get through the lines and contact them yet...

i was planning on trying again to reach them tomorrow, but based on what you are saying, maybe i should reconsider keeping the game...

... I have one question more to ask: If ever Ubisoft desides to stop supporting the game, then i will be out of luck right... no more playing as the virtual world resides on their servers and i cannot drive OFFline, right ?

but I guess for $18 i can play for a little bit, for a year or two then forget it then it will be just trash !

No worries, lucky i couldn't get the refund yet...

I was busy the whole afternoon trying to finish the update to my racing/simulation setup.
It used to be like this designed for the DFGT 10 years ago.
i-sL85gFc-L.jpg

I had to lower the rear parts so that i can put a shifter and be able to shift:

i-6HGfprD-L.jpg

I have one more thing to do tomorrow, which is to put the board for the shifter.

Roaming around, just casual drive, driving coast to coast the kind of experience i want, years ago, i missed and didn't get to play Test Drive Unlimited, and that's why i wanted to get The Crew 2...

So you all think i should keep the game right ?

Set up looks good 👍

As for the game, even at 100mph it takes about 30-40 minutes to get from East coast to West coast on this map, which gives you an idea of scale, its about 45 miles wide by 30 miles north to south.

Dynamic weather and time of day adds to the enjoyment too, although it's a bit weird when it's snowing in LA :lol:

If you have played the first game like me then the map is less exciting the second time around. Plus they haven't replicated the unlocking of the map and the location "collection" from the first game which is a pity as I enjoyed that part. But they do have the photo collection to do which encourages exploration.

And the new Hobbies mode is being added at the end of May which I hope will be good as it's a full separate section in the Options menu which suggests a substantial addition, although we dont know anything about it yet! :D

One thing I REALLY like is the menu system which I find very intuitive 👍.

You can find anything by bringing up the map using the touchpad and moving around the map. OR you can find everything from the Options menu. This is really helpful if you just want to quickly run some races/events in a certain category which are all listed out, buy a car or visual or mechanical parts etc.

One last thing, you level up the CAR, not the driver, some people find this confusing, but the point to this is as you drive the car and win races/complete skills the car performance inproves AND the handling changes, in a sense that is akin to real life "tinkering" with your car.

Set up looks good 👍

As for the game, even at 100mph it takes about 30-40 minutes to get from East coast to West coast on this map, which gives you an idea of scale, its about 45 miles wide by 30 miles north to south.

Dynamic weather and time of day adds to the enjoyment too, although it's a bit weird when it's snowing in LA :lol:

If you have played the first game like me then the map is less exciting the second time around. Plus they haven't replicated the unlocking of the map and the location "collection" from the first game which is a pity as I enjoyed that part. But they do have the photo collection to do which encourages exploration.

And the new Hobbies mode is being added at the end of May which I hope will be good as it's a full separate section in the Options menu which suggests a substantial addition, although we dont know anything about it yet! :D

One thing I REALLY like is the menu system which I find very intuitive 👍.

You can find anything by bringing up the map using the touchpad and moving around the map. OR you can find everything from the Options menu. This is really helpful if you just want to quickly run some races/events in a certain category which are all listed out, buy a car or visual or mechanical parts etc.

One last thing, you level up the CAR, not the driver, some people find this confusing, but the point to this is as you drive the car and win races/complete skills the car performance inproves AND the handling changes, in a sense that is akin to real life "tinkering" with your car.

alright... well you sealed the deal for me... am keeping it and wont look back... good or bad, am going to download it and play/try it out...

Will report back

Ok guys...

Sorry but I am having my doubts again.

I tried Grid, and I hated it...
The concept of it is what I want, the graphics is great, but everything else about it, especially the driving dynamics sucks (from my point of view).

So I tried and downloaded the free trial of the Crew 1, and the driving style is like NFS the way I remember from 20 years ago... I no longer find these sort of games fun.

I can see how it is fun (for some of you)... But the anything-goes-racing on the street (or in the water or in the air) is not what like to do anymore.

Is the Crew 2 the exact same thing as the Crew 1?
Is the driving dynamics and style any different from the first installment?
Is there any improvement to the driving style?
I hate the loose controls!

Is the story line the same as in the Crew 1?

$14 is not much, but I just want to cut my loss if the Crew 2 is no different from the Crew 1... I already wasted $24 with GRID and I think that's an even worse game than the Crew.

I like clean races but I dont have time (or rather I don't enjoy) for this sort of gameplay. Sorry guys, am old and boring.

Last edited:
You a wheel man or controller ? if your on a wheel you must limit the degs of rotation with crew 1 on my t300 you had to do the button press thing and set it before starting the game but crew 2 lets you do it ingame in the options. No story in crew 2 just some annoying voice overs you can mute after a bit sorry to say if anything the crew 1 has better ffb but crew 2 drives better and the street races can be pretty dirty until you learn to tune and get good parts and get a nice lead then most races are just time trials same with hyper cars. Saying all that I still find it a lot of fun driving all the different classes I was only looking for a bit of fun to pass the time until another good racer came out on pc or ps4 after years of playing project cars 1/2 and GT
and nothing came out that takes my fancy I don't want to go back and be a total sim head and get Automobilista2 or the like I found pc1/2 a good mix of sim and whizz bang fun so I am still waiting and having fun on crew2 in the mean time .

I've just discovered the RX-7 drift and I'm now loving this game!

I primarily play this game just to free drive around the map with my G29 and h shifter with 900 rotation. I was using mostly a stock Charger R/T Hemi street, but the RX-7 drift is so much more fun and satisfying.

Back