Shaolin Soccer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Der Alta
  • 17 comments
  • 754 views
This is pretty old,the movie came out almost a year ago.It's not too bad.
 
Yep, it was released in Asia a while ago, but it's just now beginning to make it to the US.

AO
 
The movie has gotten excellent reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. I'd like to check it out, but I doubt I will.
 
No way I'm spending my money on it, but I am curious about it. Seems to have some great effects, super exaggerated effects, but still good ones.
Perhaps I can coax a friend of mine to rent the DVD sometime.
 
If you're gonna watch Shaolin Soccer, I would suggest watching the subbed Chinese version.

I doubted that the dubbers are gonna do the original any justice. Besides watching the movie in a language you can't understand makes it even funnier.
 
Originally posted by axn_man
If you're gonna watch Shaolin Soccer, I would suggest watching the subbed Chinese version.

I doubted that the dubbers are gonna do the original any justice. Besides watching the movie in a language you can't understand makes it even funnier.
It's true.
 
I've seen it. in fact, its right now using up space in my HD. A friend of mine gave it to me. its poretty cool and way funny, you just can't help laughig ewith it. have you ever seen captain tsubasa, that old soccer anime? well, it's kinda like that, when they jump 20 meters, kick the ball and it goes on fire and stuff. the effects are stunning and very well done. see it if you have any chance.

Cano

reccomended.
 
Is this that movie where the really good team 'the team that wins and does all of the tricks' are dressed in a gold strip? And the **** team are dressed in a Black, orange and white strip? If so then I've seen it. Is it the one I'm on about?
 
No, it's not the movie you think it is DRIFT4EVA. This movie is about a group of washed out shaolin monks who use soccer as means to help their art reach the mainstream. However, the final match does have them wearing yellow uniforms versus another team in all black.
 
Could be the end bit then. I'm on a 56k modem so I don't want to kill it by downloading this then finding out next month that I already have it.
 
shaolin soccer is funny.. i imported a DVD and i hope that they don't cut out any of the good parts
 
Originally posted by axn_man
No, it's not the movie you think it is DRIFT4EVA. This movie is about a group of washed out shaolin monks who use soccer as means to help their art reach the mainstream. However, the final match does have them wearing yellow uniforms versus another team in all black.
well, the story is that these monks where sent by their master to produce the style of shaolin in a different and unque way. i don't want to mess up the funny parts and how many ways they tried it
 
Originally posted by GTChamp2003
This is pretty old,the movie came out almost a year ago.It's not too bad.

It's been out waaaaay longer than that (the chinese subbed ver)

I got it about 3 years ago.

Its a great movie.
 
Yeah, I regret it but I think I saw it about 3 yrs. ago too. So damn cheezy...
 
Yeah, Shaolin Soccer came out about three years ago. Nearly all of Steven Chau's movies are great. He's a funny guy with a story to tell. He came from nowhere to be one of the biggest stars here in Hong Kong. Before he was acting and directing movies, he was a children's TV presenter.

EDIT: Cheesy? Of course it's cheesy! How could it be anything else? It's an all out comedy.
 
SS is about 3 years old now...it's a crying shame that it took so long to get to the US market.

If any of you keep current on the Asian movie market (and the related issues of US studios picking up the rights to said market), you'll know that Miramax bought the rights to this movie about 2 years ago and SAT on it flip flopping between releasing a dubbed version wide release or subtitled and limited release.

It seems that they're doing the same thing with Hero. Many people haven't heard of Hero, which is also owned by Miramax (also known as MirmAXE by disgruntled Asian movie fans). Hero is a period piece starring Jet Li, Zhang Ziyi and a few other famous Chinese actors - and in my opinion is better and has more to offer than Crouching Tiger.

As for Shaolin Soccer, it's not for everyone. Some people just don't get its campiness or can't appreciate a film that doesn't take itself too seriously. I loved this movie and I'm sure that you will too.
 
i say that hero was the best out of jet li's movies
 
Back