Sharkport needed - I can program a hybrid program!

• Thread starter Syizm
  • 70 comments
Why bother with a Sharkport when MaxDrive is simpler (and more reliable if my experiences of the PAL version called Xport 2 is anything to go by) and there is a program to change the save file to whatever type that is required.

NoQuarter
Just because that site is selling them, at 1/4 the original cost I might add, doesn't mean they are still in production. When that supply is gone they are gone.

Der Alta's tune remains unchanged.

I doubt it since it says works best with gameshark v4 or 4.1 best.
And Madcatz made those gs versions so I owuld hafta think that the software was updated for the new GS versions. So why would mad catz code in support on a product they are just selling old stock of? $7.99 is a deal.
And lots of websites still have them in stock, heck several stores near me still have like 5 or 10 each!

It doesn't change the fact that the manufacturer of the hardware is no longer producing that hardware...

Madcatz may have made a good deal on some excessive overstock, but believe me, when the hardware is gone, it's gone.

As far as their coding support, first of all GameShark software is not the same as the XPort software. It may work with the XPort, but the latest revisions are probably just additional codes, and not that hard to provide.

Death Scythe
hi, I saw this thread and wanted to post an interesting find I noticed using one of the tools I downloaded from one of the sites mentioned previously. I think its Save Slicer from ps2savetools (I think). Well, it basically lets you load up a savegame (in xps format - I used another program to convert from .max to .xps since I use the ARMax myself) and export seperate parts of it, usually game data, icon, etc... well, when I loaded up my gt4 save, there's a seperate section (in addition to the gamedata portion of the savegame, dedicated to the garage - its roughly 1.2mb (takes up majority of the file I assume). With the program I was able to export it to a .bin file, but since I only know a little of what I'm doing here - I figure I'd post this find and let you guys know (don't know if u already did) about this little find in the gt4 savegame. I don't have any other savegames to compare, but I can send my files if it would help any (I can also send the individual portions of the savegame).

-l8r

this sounds more promissing then some of the other threadz on the subject.

I see this thread is turning into another GS vs AR battle.

Although releasing a program like MK did for GT3 hybrids took a long time to complete, wouldn't it be somewhat easy to determine the code for something simple like a horsepower modifier? This would be a small but useful start for people who are itching to make hybrids, without waiting for the codes of every car and car part to be discovered. After reading Syizm's explanation, it would seem that he or someone else who is knowledgable, would be able to crack this in no time. Anyone out there wanna give it a try?

well, in gt3 I dunno if there's a limit to how many cars you can have in a garage - but it seems like when you add a car or two the filesize grows some (wether or not the cars are modified or certain tracks are released don't affect the size, its more of a on/off flag internally), whereas in gt4 the filesize remains the same wether you have 2 cars or 200 cars (I saw a savegame with 700 or so cars online and its the same filesize as mine with 20 cars, and it works just fine). so that leads me to think there's a fixed ammount of cars you can have, basically that can be used to divide the "garage" section up and find where each slot begins and ends??? I don't know much about that aspect of the whole thing, but maybe it can help. of maybe searching thru the garage section there could be a way to see if there's a repeating section(???) maybe indicating the begining/end of a slot in the garage(??) and then it can be broken down some more into individual parts?? Maybe more input on this would help, since I only know a lil bit about programming, but not even much on hex stuff. hth.

GT Kid
Although releasing a program like MK did for GT3 hybrids took a long time to complete, wouldn't it be somewhat easy to determine the code for something simple like a horsepower modifier? This would be a small but useful start for people who are itching to make hybrids, without waiting for the codes of every car and car part to be discovered. After reading Syizm's explanation, it would seem that he or someone else who is knowledgable, would be able to crack this in no time. Anyone out there wanna give it a try?

well, the ARMax has a code for gear ratio modifier I think (in addition to the R3 turbo codes)? I don't know if its like the turbo code that effects all cars in the race or just the current car you're driving, if that code effects only the car you're driving
then that would be a good start for checking out some hybrid stuff.

-l8r

Sorry for not posting. I havn't even touched GT4 in a few weeks. :(

The file is more complicated than I imagined... but, all the data is there, so it IS possible to create a MK style program. However long until anyone (myself included) releases one is hard to predict. :D

I'm a bum.

Also, just some FYI...

Hacking a save file and using codes that edit the memory (ie GS, AR MAX stuff) are very different beasts. Determining a HP modifier code will onyl go so far to cracking the "mystery" behind the GT4 save files...

Syizm
Sorry for not posting. I havn't even touched GT4 in a few weeks. :(

The file is more complicated than I imagined... but, all the data is there, so it IS possible to create a MK style program. However long until anyone (myself included) releases one is hard to predict. :D

I'm a bum.

well, some news is good news. 'sides I don't think a mk-style program can be whipped up overnight. Atleast we know the stuff is in the gamesave, now onto figuring out what is what, etc... then we can make more steps towards the goal.

-l8r

x-port format is raw data right?

if so we should at least collaborate and share our findings. can someone get me two gamesaves, one with a car (no mods) and no cash and one with mods and some money?

i have uploaded mine onto my computer and ran it through hex...and my conclusion is...holy hell thats a lot of code. I still couldnt find any names...or anythign...anythign readable.

hey, I'm new to the forum, but I've been loyal to GT since the start. I loved hybrids on GT2, and never followed the scene to even know they were possible on gt3. So I'm shocked that there is a slight possibility of them in GT4.

Anyhow, I used to have hundreds of completly custom hybrids in GT2, and my brother and I figured alot of this stuff out on our own. We used a combo of save file editing and game shark codes.

I've a code breaker 9, gameshark, and a jump drive. I'm gonna look into the tools mentioned here, and see if I can't contribute. I don't know much about programming, but I've always been good at figuring out how to make cars fly!!!

So, long story short, you got another head on the hybrid goal. Maybe two if I can get my brother in on it.

One note, anyone good at making Gs or CB codes? It would be nice to be able to modify the nitrous boost to like, oh, say, 1000, as it seems the number represents the HP shot, and I've seen plenty of cars with two 500 shot's rigged.

It wouldn't be a hybrid, but it would allow us an in game adjustable super speed booster, much like you could alter gear ratios on GT2 beyond the programmed in limits.

Anyhow, I'll update if I find anything interesting.

shawn

If anything can be written it is going to have to cope with 6 different versions of the game. I can supply game saves for 4 of those versions.

crazy, I've got that code. It is cool, but it also effects all the other racers, and it is unadjustable.

If someone could modify the NOS however, leaving it to pushing a single button, but having a large MAX number, you could apply a say, 1500 shot of NOS to a Lupo, I'd say that would pretty well be hybrd. If 1500 was to much, you could go to settings and turn it down.

Much like the way you use a code ot alter the upper and lower limits of gear ratios in GT2.

I've also been diggn in the save file, without much luck, see the other thread about "MK's program." I think I should have post here, but both topics are about the same.

While searching for a good hex editor, I come across one called "Hackman" and it had several levels of en and de crytption. Would a program like this possibly be able to get passed the encyrption of GT4?

I've not much luck, but believe I've identified the area that corresponds to the active car. Get two saves, each with a different car selected and nothing else different and compare the top four lines of each garage file.

i really doubt hack man will work. if polyphonyl digital had a brain at all to stop hybriding they would have made their own encryption algorithm...but hey...maybe its possible. i have dial up and dont wanna download and test it...can anyone else test this?

megashawn
I've not much luck, but believe I've identified the area that corresponds to the active car. Get two saves, each with a different car selected and nothing else different and compare the top four lines of each garage file.

I tried that, the part that changes @ the top of the savegam is something wierd. I does correspond to the current car but it also has something to do with the entire savegame and all other cars: ie -

I had 3 different savegames on my comp.

2 have my imprezza 22b as the selected car. the third has my f1 car as the selected car.

the only diff with the 2 imprezza savegames is one has no turbo upgrades, the second has the "original" or stage 5 turbo.

My goal was to find what changed with the 2 imprezza savegames and apply it to the indy car. effectively applying a stage5 turbo from a 22b imprezza to a f1 car making it a turbocharged f1 car.

I used the hex editor and it noted something near the begining of the file that changed, when I applied it to the f1 savegame, it wouldn't load. I loaded up the savegame in arcade mode (in slot2) and only the f1 car can be selected. Anything else wouldn't work, it said some error, memory card has changed.

I think the part at the top of the savegame is the "signature" of the savegame. However it is definitely tied into the selected car - how, unknown, maybe not worth knowing since changing it renders the savegame useless.

There is, however, near the end of the savegame - quite some information that changes - a whole lot of information as a matter of fact. I haven't gotten around to applying that to the f1 savegame, but it seems to have to do with the turbo/normal turbo setting (like in gt3 it has the turbo part # and the gear dependent # 1-6). Maybe that can be some help.

I used the hackman hex editor, but it limits me in the file, can't check those later parts of the file that changes. Maybe someone else (with a better hex editor can help). hth.

-l8r

I'd buy it, but I'd like to know the thing is going to be worthwhile, cos $25 is getting harder and harder to come by.

I'll have to look a bit closer, but I didn't notice any info changing aside from the top 4. I am also comparing by eye, is there a way to make Ultra edit compare to files for you??

Its been so long since i"ve mest with this stuff, I barely remember.

Is it possible some of the parts settings would be in "Game data"?

I've also tried (sorry if I mentioned) take a garage from one save, and a gamedata from another and combining, also to no luck.

So the garage file and gamedata file is certainly linked.

i've been scanning the code for hours....no luck...just too much code....1.5 megsof code isnt going to go down easy.maybe we should start trying for a decoding algorithm

Ok, so as I mentioned earlier, I've been comparing 2 game saves. I found that the 4 top lines change.

I just compared 2 saves, one in which I have a 280z, and the second identical, with only a day passed inbetween. I think the first one is dated 3 APR and the second 4 APR.

Anyhow, without changing anything about the cars, the top 4 lines are different.

So I guess this area doesn't really have much to do with the car.

crazyazn7412
i think the whole save changes instead of the 4 lines because if you switch anything on it it will corrupt the save

Well, I tried a diff. way to "create my savegame"
I selected the 22b imprezza
saved
exported it to my usb drive (ARMAX)
reloaded gt4
since I was at the home menu, I pressed start to jump to settings.
changed turbo from stage5/original to normal
saved
transfered it to my comp and saved.

only reason I do it that way is so I don't jump into any race, pass any days, or spend any money. only the parts change between savegames.

One way to see if the parts are all a generic code, or individual to the car:
do the above.
export 2 savegames - one with a normal turbo, one with a stage1 turbo.
redo the above with a different car, same stage turbo.
check if the diff. btwn the first pair is the exact same diff. as the second pair.
if the code change from one car's stage1 turbo to another is identical then the parts are all generic. if they're diff, then they're the same as gt3 (individual to each car).

crazyazn7412
so..the conclusion of your test is?...

Well, I haven't had enough time to get to that yet. My post was more of an idea on how to do it. I have my 3 savegames on my comp, just no way to actually get it done. My hackman lite hex editor won't read past a certain filesize, but it does show some differences in the code between the 2 savegames. I tried swapping the first part of the code from savegame1 (22b with stage 5 turbo) and replaced the corresponding section in the 3rd savegame (indy/f1 car) - no luck. It ended up corrupting the savegame when I did that, only way to load the garage is through arcade mode with the memory card in slot2. It has to have something to do with the first car though, because out of all my 30 cars, the f1 in the first spot was the only one I could select. All others gave me a "memory card contents have changed, please reinsert original". or something of that matter. I drove the f1, and nothing was different - do that code was not for the stage5 turbo.

back to the drawing board. I looked further into the code, but there is sooo much code in there (or maybe I have a lack of patience :D ). That was the result of the experiment I did a week or so ago with changing the first few lines. All other variables are the same (days, money, races entered, wins, etc.. all the same between the 3).

when I get some more time, I'll try and do it again - hopefully with a better hex editor.

-l8r

Here's my estimate, if this hasn't been stated already. I could very well be wrong, since I havn't actually checked into this... but:

These save files have duplicate data fiels, perhaps. This meaning that there are two HUGE sections with in the file that are identical. So, the entire garage data is saved twice into the same file - one ontop of the other. Upon loading the game, the save file compares these two data fields, and if any differences are found, the file is declared corrupt. (I hope this makes sense.)

Secondly, these files may possibly be encrypted and compressed. This is a very strong possibility, as it's not hard to code either of these functions into the game at the time of loading and saving from a memory card. This in itself presents a short term nightmare.

Unfortunately, to add more to the above mentioned complexity, the game may actually use two different encoding algorithmns and two different compressiong algorithmns - one for each hypothetical "identical" data field. Again, this would be very simple for the programmers to code into the actaul game, and INSANELY difficult/time consuming for us 'hackers' to get past.

In my mind, if I worked for Polyphony and wanted to make this game hybrid proof, that's exactly what I would do for the save files. Or course, I may be wrong, but that's something to think about either way.

Another problem may be a checksum. As GT2 on the PS1 had a checksum (if you changed something in the garage the checksum would need to be recalculated so that the data was OK), I would think the checksum on GT4 would be fairly sophisticated.

I found this page about checksums (there are more but this was the first!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

Perhaps the first 4 lines of thesave arent encrypted whereas the rest are which covers the unmentioned cars, the settings and history. This way the lines of code are just masked. Thats a possible way polyphony really could have stopped hybriding

If you can purhchase parts for cars, Then you can still Hybrid! Just a matter of time to fine the part addresses, With tranny codes and rediculous Turbo codes already given is a prime example that the Number one spot in the garage will still be the place for Hybriding, It will happen, Just have to keep hammering at it. I believe once cracked it will be more fun than GT2's AI codes etc... I know that the AI will be Hybridable also since addy's for them have already been released with the turbo code affecting them as well, Just more time, It's going to happen!

Back