Shelby Super Car's (SSC) Tuatara

Interior looks....maybe better than the original (and very amatuerish) renders from years ago. Still...I see some not very pretty ruching of the leather on that steering wheel.

Yeah, the wheel looks like a hack job. Would love to see the rest of the interior before I judge fully, though. Glad it looks very much like Castriota's original design on the outside too.

But the pigs ears fins at the rear and the cheese grater air vents look amateurish. Also, the rear looks like it belongs to another car completely - a bad one. It looks like someone dipped their hand in glue and stuck it in a bucket of spare model kit parts and out it emerged. The grey colour doesn't do it any favours in tht respect.

I don't get the door and rear fins, I agree it does look like someone had some leftover aero parts from a kit aeroplane and decided to glue them on to the bodywork to 'extreme' it up. From that one picture of the dash it does look a little 'man in shed' but I'll reserve judgement till I see a further back pic.

The closer I look at those pictures, the more I realize SSC has some serious quality control issues if this is representative of a final product. Honestly it actually looks a little sloppier than the not-great SSC Aero. The show car from years ago was so clean and polished...what happened? The back end has also been ruined pretty thoroughly. I was actually a fan of the Tuatara when it was first revealed (I made this thread :lol:), but the shape is starting to look dated, and the revisions have not pushed it in the right direction.

Still looks like a kit car. Especially that awful triangle in the back. Shame they couldn't put as much effort into styling the car as they did with the engine.

Also, I always am annoyed by cars that use ethanol. It's almost like cheating when simply using a different fuel gets you 350 more horsepower while everyone else is achieving more horsepower with just regular gas.

^I agree on the ethanol part. If you compare apples with apples, the 1350 HP or so with regular gas doesn't seem that impressive. I wonder what kind of power the Venom F5 or Koenigsegg Regera can make with ethanol? Will surely blow the Tuatara away.

I'm actually ok with the design. Way less generic looking than the SSC Aero. Then again the rear end's V shape is too reminiscent of the Venom F5's own diffuser. Coincidence much that they're both American? And that steering wheel fit & finish is just ghastly.

With such low drag coefficient, you gotta wonder how well it will stick in the corners as well. My bet is it produces little to no downforce and as such is only a good car for straightlines. We were promised the Venom is Nurburgring capable, and we all know Koenigsegg's credentials as well.

Excited for the race to 300 mph (or 500 km/h even). But my money is still on the Agera replacement.

It moves!

Although it's not going very fast and it appears to be on a hill. Perhaps it's simply rolling down said hill.
We've waited a long time, but soon the world's most technologically advanced soap box derby car will arrive!

They have a few videos and have been primarily building up hype and snippets for the past 2 months. Not sure how thrilled I am that they're working with NRE, but what does it matter I'm not in the market for one and even if I was I'd probably not go that route anyways.

09dc373e-ssc-tuatara-6.jpg
b5c993a0-ssc-tuatara-3.jpg
4972b86d-ssc-tuatara-4.jpg

Kind of like a McLaren but not as clean in design.

All joking aside, I actually am glad that a functioning version exists now. With all the announcements we've seen over the last couple years of hypercars with silly performance numbers that are never heard of again beyond that one press release, it's nice to see one that's actually progressed to something resembling a production model. Even if it has taken the better part of a decade to actually get there.

I reckon this is because the super horsepower and top speed wars are only getting stronger with the Rimac C2 and koenigseggs Yesko. This makes sense.

I reckon this is because the super horsepower and top speed wars are only getting stronger with the Rimac C2 and koenigseggs Yesko. This makes sense.
Also that monstrosity that Hennessey is supposed to be working on, though I'd be very surprised if that showed up in a functioning state before the others do.

I like how he casually short shifted his way to 200mph and then rolled into the throttle. Good lord that is fast. These top speed records now seem dependent on the facility hosting them as much or more than the vehicle itself. It seemed pretty clear that Bugatti has found the limit of their test facility.

That kind of speed in a street car is absolutely nuts. The forces on the tires must be ludicrous.

I’d imagine all the fuel the car could hold was burned for that run. The tires must’ve gotten pretty close to the limit to what tires can do. I can’t see this record being broken anytime soon. Still, I can’t believe that this car saw the light of day.

Then again I thought the same about the McLaren F1 and the Veyron.

Last edited:
How fast it pulled pass 320 mph to 330 blows my mind, easily can hit 350. With prime conditions and the space to achieve it.

Merica!!

Here's the real video rather than a vlog

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38941...ed-world-record-with-282-9-mph-tuatara-re-run

American hypercar manufacturer SSC claims that it re-did its production car top speed world record run on January 17, 2021, hitting a record-setting two-way average speed of 282.6 mph.

Things were different this time. Instead of running in Nevada again, the SSC team took to the Johnny Bohmer Proving Grounds at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. In place of racing driver Oliver Webb behind the wheel was the owner of Tuatara No. 001, Larry Caplin. As for validating the speed, SSC claims that it used equipment from Racelogic (specifically, a VBox), Life Racing, Garmin and the International Mile Racing Association.

In order for a production car top speed record to stick, the car has to set an average speed in both directions. At 2:38:09 p.m. local time, Caplin set a northbound speed of 279.7 mph. Shortly afterwards at 3:28:51 p.m., he set a southbound speed of 286.1 mph. Together, these two runs averaged 282.9 mph.

The car had a total of 2.3 miles to run on the Johnny Bohmer Proving Grounds and took nearly all of that length—1.9 miles—to hit its highest top speed of 286.1 mph. The acceleration was absolutely brutal all the way, with the Tuatara rocketing up to 244 mph across one mile and taking 2.87 seconds at the end of its faster southbound run to go from 274 to 286 mph, per stats released by the company.

[...]

SSC didn't break 300 mph this time, as it claimed it did in October, but that's still the company's goal to hit, and Caplin seems confident that it's possible.

“I got a taste of full power in the top of seventh [gear] on the last run," Caplin explained in a company press release. "I am excited to come back and break 300 mph.”

ssc-tuatara-averages-282.9-mph-at-the-johnny-bohmer-proving-grounds.jpg

Nice! Now let's see them break the 300 mph barrier. I'm surprised they didn't do it at the Texas road again. I'm also pretty sure that that's not the longest runway at the Kennedy Space Center. IIRC the one used for Shuttle landings are almost 5km long.

I wish VW isn't so uptight about other cars testing at Ehra Lessien. The McLaren F1 did set its record there, and since Bugatti have bowed out of the top speed contest, they should just let everyone have at it.

Back