Shift 2 vs GT5 input lag video

• Thread starter pgagoober
  • 59 comments

pgagoober

Site Sponsor
United States
AZ
BadManTurismo
UPDATE: I have now shown a 0.5 second lag from my wheel and 0.4 second lag from my DS3!!! See below.....

Having seen JJ72's awesome video on how Shift 2 is working out for his setup I figured I would try his settings to see if they would work for me. Alas, no such luck. This time however I took some video so you can all see what I've been whining about. I had the same results with my DFGT - just please don't ask me to set that up again for another test 'cos it's a pain to detach my hard-mounted GT3rs and CSP's :)

In the video look for my steering input versus the reaction from the car. The tire marks on the track make it easy to spot when the car starts to turn. My settings (aka JJ72's settings) are at the end of the video.

Last edited:
I have now proven that there is almost exactly 0.5s lag between wheel input and game reaction. I took another video where I could see the in-game clock and I advanced through the video frame by frame isolating the exact initial turn of the wheel and initial reaction from the car. Here are the results :

Wheel : 18.378 Car : 18.878 Lag : 0.500
Wheel : 22.247 Car : 22.743 Lag : 0.496

Here is the video used for the above test :

Check out this video:

Seems that PS3 version has much greater input lag then PC version...

Last edited:
Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI5vTUw2774
(youtube tag doesn`t seem to work so can`t embed it)

Seems that PS3 version has much greater input lag then PC version...

Well it's certainly much prettier and smoother in terms of the graphics. It still looks laggy to me but I couldn't really identify a clear point in the video where it would be easy to use the onscreen timer to measure the car's reaction. At speed, the various markings on the road are going by so quickly that it's very hard to tell.

I have seen comments from PC users that are happy with the handling though so you might be right. I think most of the complaints I have seen have been from folks on a console with wheel or controller - yup, controller too it seems. Might try that as my next video actually, as I'm sure I'll get the old "that wheel isn't supported' malarky from some fanboy somewhere :sly:

But,but, did you try setting the ...

Exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll give it a week in hopes that there's a patch, after that it's going on ebay/CL

Well - here is the smoking gun if ever I saw one. The DS3 controller has very demonstrable and repeatable lag too. I ran the same tests and here is what I got :

DS3: 2:07.482 Car: 2:07.884 Lag: 0.402
DS3: 2:08.785 Car: 2:09.186 Lag: 0.401
DS3: 2:12.020 Car: 2:12.421 Lag: 0.401
DS3: 2:15.157 Car: 2:15.559 Lag: 0.402

Here is the video :

Well PGA that nails it.

Any settings people are using are just a workaround.

You can't dial out lag by altering steering lock etc.

I think maybe these adjustments people are suggesting, whilst appearing to have an effect are probably getting a placebo effect.

People are enjoying the game and are riding on a crest ATM. Not wanting to see lag.

Trade in mate.

^^^

I think you're right but I'm happy for anyone who can find a way to enjoy the game. It really has potential if this bug can be fixed.

^ If one plays only S2U, getting used to an early turn-in is probably not a huge deal. If one plays multiple games - it's an issue.

^ Yup. Problem is I want to be able to alternate between games so learning how to drive all over again, especially in an unintuitive manner is a real problem.

I'm planning to do some similar videos for GT5 and F1 2010 just to make sure I'm not smoking crack ;)

I have to say, even though someone only playing S2U might get used to the input lag, there still are situations where its problematic.

really weird you are getting this lag, i have the awd settings almost, although i set my wheel lock for normal and drift to 450. i see you have a dfgt too.. weird.. i raced for a hour or so after i read the first post watching the hands and they are almost identical.

So I just did a similar test with GT5 and the results are not as dramatic as I expected but there is certainly a substantial difference.

First off - I wasn't able to make the video clear enough to really catch the on-screen timing perfectly but it is clear enough to verify that the framerate of the video I took was 30fps. I figured that out by advancing through the video in iMovie one frame at a time and counting the frames it took to click off a second on the on-screen timer.

The end result was on the 2 attempts that I could clearly make out the initial reaction from the car, the lag was between 8 and 9 frames. ie. .27-.30 seconds. It's amazing to me how much a difference that additional .2 seconds makes to the Shift 2 experience (for me at least). Perhaps other aspects of the overall handling are amplifying the effect, which would certainly explain how some folks are finding setups that make the experience acceptable to them. Anyway, there you have it for now and here is the video I used :

Last edited:
Strange... and worrying... as I'm pumping up to buy my copy this weekend... hopefully.

Maybe...

Maybe...

Maybe SHIFT2 cars have extra worn rubber bushings in their steering racks?

Y'know, for extra realism. :D

Have you tried the test in GT5 with different cars? As the steering lag may differ from vehicle to vehicle.

Here's one for the egg heads and boffins.

Travelling at 200mph. How much distance is covered is .5 of a second?

I haven't a clue, just interested in the distances involved in prematurely turning the wheel.

Here's one for the egg heads and boffins.

Travelling at 200mph. How much distance is covered is .5 of a second?

I haven't a clue, just interested in the distances involved in prematurely turning the wheel.

You can do the maths as well as the next person, that's hardly rocket surgery.

0,5 sec = 1/7200 hour
200 miles / 7200 = 0,027 mile.

(0,027 mile = 43 metres)

Anyway if you`re driving using a wheel it may be good idea to play on pc - responsivnes of steering is much better on pc version (see video I posted above).

Goober, that's about 2x the lag I'm getting on my Samsung 630. Have you got game mode enabled?

Menu > Setup > General > Game Mode (On)

That's why I hate first Shift on consoles. And this is very first thing I've noticed. Input lag make this game unplayable for me.

I would not dare drive a car in real life that had the kind of reaction to steering input that we are seeing. The steering lag may just be the killer for this game.

If I go straight ahead an move the wheel left-right-left-right... in a steady rhythm of a little more than 1Hz, the wheel on the screen (and the cars reactions) will be 180 degrees out of phase with my steering input! That's right, when I steer left the car goes to the right and vice versa.

This suggest that the steering input is low pass filtered and the (lagging) steering wheel we see in the game is determining the position of the wheels. The experiment above shows that at a bit more than 1Hz the filter has a phase delay of 180 degrees and a reduced amplitude. This is consistent with the findings of the OP.

Since it has been reported that the lag is much the same with a pad, I speculate that the filter used for pad input, which is a normal thing to have, is (mistakenly?) applied to the steering wheel input.

There will of course be a tiny bit of lag, but in the case of S2U the lag just feels too long. "That other game" has almost no perceivable lag compared to this. It may be the last couple of tenths that takes S2U over the edge.

In any case, I'm not into boat racing, and a fix is badly needed ;- )

DJ
--

I agree to DrJustice.

I really don't understand why the devs let this happen? It can't be intentionally, why would they? Is it so hard to get this engine running without input delay for the wheel users?

Goober, that's about 2x the lag I'm getting on my Samsung 630. Have you got game mode enabled?

Menu > Setup > General > Game Mode (On)

Yup. Just came across that setting the other day when I was trying to figure this out. The videos I have taken have been on game mode for both Shift 2 and GT5. I really wish there were a simple fix like that but I haven't found one yet.

Are you using PS3 ? Can you share a video similar to mine ?

0,5 sec = 1/7200 hour
200 miles / 7200 = 0,027 mile.

(0,027 mile = 43 metres)

Anyway if you`re driving using a wheel it may be good idea to play on pc - responsivnes of steering is much better on pc version (see video I posted above).

Conath - I take it you are using PC then? (I'm not sure if the video you posted above is your own). If so, can you take a video similar to mine where we can see the wheel input and the screen output including the timer in the same shot. Make sure you go slow so we we can easiily spot the car's reaction. This would help us nail down for once and for all whether or not this is hardware related or a problem with the software.

I strongly suspect this is a generic software problem as I have yet to see conclusive evidence that the PC version is any better - at least when it comes to the lag.

I'm not getting this at all, I'm on XBox with Fanatec GT2 wheel, I've adjusted a few settings and get no delay in the steering, no wandering floaty car and no input lag at all.

my only annoyance with the game is that shouty American Drifter bloke screaming at me, but now I've found out how to turn him off I've got no issues at all.

I'm not getting this at all, I'm on XBox with Fanatec GT2 wheel, I've adjusted a few settings and get no delay in the steering, no wandering floaty car and no input lag at all.

my only annoyance with the game is that shouty American Drifter bloke screaming at me, but now I've found out how to turn him off I've got no issues at all.

Can you post a video similar to mine and tell us your settings ?

Back