Shifting while drifting

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 6 comments
Seeing all these guides being released, i'm surprised to see that none has informed the newbies to GT3 drifting (including me :D ) the importance of shifting correctly in order to gain wheelspin/lose traction and stuff.

I'll try to explain. First you need car which has quite wide powerband (you don't need that if you are pro ;) ). A good example is RX-7 FC3S if that's the old model. Then you can buy all mods to that RX-7 and sim tyres. Now you have "a-ready-to-shift-while-drifting-car". Take it to CS or CS2, CS if you want to change bigger gear and CS2 if you want to change lower gear.

Now you are in the last corner before that changing corner which is the biggest loop in CS. Just get the car sideways as you normally do, then you need to change bigger gear. This may take few times to complete, but I usually kick the gas litlle harder before changing, so you have the rpm as lower gear and the drift is smooth. Other way to do that is little easier. You just have to push the gas pedal a bit harder not much right after you have changed. Practice practice...

Next tutorial is about changing lower gear. Get your car sideways, and now we got two different ways to do it my way. First way is to lift the foot totally off from the gas pedal, then quickly change lower and accelerate again, as you can imagine you can't do this at low speeds. Other way is litle bit easier, you just need to lift the gas pedal a little, so that you accelerate at 30-50% then change lower gear. This way doing it you don't have to worry about the rpm's, car will do it itself. Hope this helped.

the only time's I ever shift are while braking, and if I need more power I'll sometimes upshift during a drift, but that most often takes the rev's out of the power band of the car, even with a pretty broad power band, so 99% of the time I just stick to the gear I am in once I am in a drift, and adjust my line to compensate for the lower speeds so I dont go flying into the wall or something.

And actualy, by holding the gas pedal at 50% while shifting, you're forcing the game to power shift, its a great way to maintain speed, but I usually dont do it, it happens by accident sometimes tho, lol.

shifting is important during a drift depending on how deep into the drift you are and how sideways/not sideways you are...the best way to find out how to shift during a drift is to just do it experiment with it and you'll be able to find out shifting can make it alot easier to drift and make your exiting of corners smoother as well....

I try to keep the tach between 4-6k during the drift. As I've stated in other posts, my technique is to enter at "grip-racing" speed. Instead of breaking, downshifting to the recommended gear, and THEN turning, I initiate my turn before I break. Downshift to the recommended gear, and hold the turn until the car pivots.....as I counter steer, I "goose" the accellerator to keep it at the 4-6k range.
In a long drift I may end up having to drop a gear at mid-point to keep the drift going.

This may be unconventional....or normal...I don't know, it's just what works for me.:sly:

Hope this helps.

Back