Should GT7 have Story in Career Mode?

• Thread starter Rouward
  • 87 comments

So insightful. :lol:

I get it... adding a story would be another case of Kaz putting a check a box that didn't need checking, like GT6's Lunar Rover.

But if it were outsourced, at least it wouldn't take away from Polyphony's most limited resource (manhours) to put checks in the box that do need checking. And as I said in a previous post, I believe that outsourcing the story to a studio that's used to crafting stories is the only way a GT story could possibly turn out good. It's not Polyphony's forte to tell compelling narratives.

My point is... you're really just gonna plainly say "no" to any possibility of a story mode in GT, even if it was outsourced and the only strain it put on Polyphony's resources was financial in nature? And of course optional?

Last edited:
i want the solo mode to put more emphasis on building your car up. too often its 3 or 4 race and buy a new car beause it doesnt meet the next race requirements, ie i need a 4wd car or a 80's car. so i really dont appreciate the cars i do own because I'm so focus on getting the next car. or if it sucks i just buy another.

i would love to see a season race where i am stuck using only that one car. definately its something i would put more thought into when buying a car. GT feels like pokemon with cars

i want the solo mode to put more emphasis on building your car up. too often its 3 or 4 race and buy a new car beause it doesnt meet the next race requirements, ie i need a 4wd car or a 80's car. so i really dont appreciate the cars i do own because I'm so focus on getting the next car. or if it sucks i just buy another.

i would love to see a season race where i am stuck using only that one car. definately its something i would put more thought into when buying a car. GT feels like pokemon with cars
In a game with 1400 cars I doubt you will see more emphasis on keeping only one car and building it up.

It doesn't need a story, it just needs to do a Grid and attempt to model a world of motorsport.

Becoming a driver for hire, earning sponsors, signing for teams, starting a private team, climbing the ranks from grassroots production car racing up to world-class GT, formula, stock car and rally series. GT almost follows this structure, but everything feels detached and sterile.
Basically, Skate(2007), except racing.

In a game with 1400 cars I doubt you will see more emphasis on keeping only one car and building it up.
In GT6:
they say "U BY FIT!"
I say "NO!"
they say "BY FIT"
I say "OK!" I do 1 race. "I sell fit!"
They like "nooooo!!!!!"

*buys MR2*

If I end up looking at soul-less eyes of NPCs starring at me unnervingly, the way Seb Vettel did back in GT5, then definitely a Hell No.

maybe some sort of Evolution mode would be good (we would have Arcade, Simulation Mode and evolution mode then)

Has anybody played Racing Lagoon for the PSX?

Maybe a solo simulation mode can be where you can also go around the cities of GT7...

53599-Racing_Lagoon_(Japan)-3.jpg

I'd say there's more important things for PD to spend their (evidently limited) time on. Be an interesting feature nonetheless.

I think that if GT7 were to have a story, it should be told very loosely. By that I mean it should just have cutscenes introducing a race and concluding a race.

For example, when you go into a racing event the cutscene would be you seeing in first person and maybe talking to someone either on your racing team or another racer about whatever subject.

After the cutscene you should have the ability to walk around in the pit before the race. In this mode you could be able to see the car that you have entered this race with and when you walk over to the car you can access the driving options and car settings. Then maybe on the side will be some sort of virtual PC that you can access to see things like friend rankings, online rankings (depending on what kind of event it is), and exiting or suspending a race or championship. In order to start a race you would walk over to the car door and enter it. Once you do that you see the driver turn on the car and then the screen fades and goes into a loading screen (hopefully it isn't painfully long). After the race you go into a cutscene that is different to whether you win the race or lose it. However, the cutscene shouldn't lead you to a specific racing event so that the player has the freedom to choose the next racing event they want to do.

Sorry for getting a little off topic there but that in my opinion is all part of making GT more interesting. If they wanted to do something like this too you have to remember, GT is an international series, so the game would either have to be voiced in multiple languages or be in English and a couple other big languages and just have subtitles in a whole bunch of other languages.

My overall opinion on the matter is that it would be cool if PD tried putting some sort of story into GT7, but I'm almost positive that they wont do something like that, at least not for GT7.

My concept for a story intro for GT7:

Ever since you got your first toy cars when you were three years old, you were always interested in the world of the automobile. Then when you were five years old, you got your first racing video game, which made you interested in racing. Next, when you turn eight years old, you join a junior kart racing series to realize your dream of wanting to be a high-ranked racing driver. However, when you turn thirteen, all of your kart racing activities stopped due to schooling. Five years later, you get your license, and you get your first car. You then hear of the car-tuning culture, which made you interested in car customization. Some time later when you're 22 years old, after graduating college, you challenge your friends to a street race across the city, but somehow, you get arrested after the race, due to illegal street racing, and you receive a six-year sentence in jail, but because of good behavior, your sentence was reduced to three years. You're now 25 years old, you now hear of an upcoming racing league held by the Gran Turismo Association, containing races, disciplines, tracks and cars from around the world in a massive, legalized racing environment. Now's the chance to realize your dream of being a true racer.

Ever since you got your first toy cars when you were three years old, you were always interested in the world of the automobile. Then when you were five years old, you got your first racing video game, which made you interested in racing. Next, when you turn eight years old, you join a junior kart racing series to realize your dream of wanting to be a high-ranked racing driver. However, when you turn thirteen, all of your kart racing activities stopped due to schooling. Five years later, you get your license, and you get your first car. You then hear of the car-tuning culture, which made you interested in car customization. Some time later when you're 22 years old, after graduating college, you challenge your friends to a street race across the city, but somehow, you get arrested after the race, due to illegal street racing, and you receive a six-year sentence in jail, but because of good behavior, your sentence was reduced to three years. You're now 25 years old, you now hear of an upcoming racing league held by the Gran Turismo Association, containing races, disciplines, tracks and cars from around the world in a massive, legalized racing environment. Now's the chance to realize your dream of being a true racer.
Sounds like a rejected screenplay for a Fast & Furious movie. Me like!

Reminiscent of Need for Speed; as well, PD will probably execute any kind of story mode terribly.

I have a feeling PD may execute this horribly. Let's just not try.
If it's video story based, yes I think you're right, it'll be horrible, especially if it's CGI. There's just no way to appeal to 10 million people with one video style. However I do think there is a place for real video footage, probably focusing around the GTAcademy and FIA ties-in's. Short interviews with Jann and a few of the boys would be encouraging for new drivers to the series and fun to watch for some of the veterans. That's why I'd go with something simpler like Grid AS's contract offer type of approach. Most of it can be done on storyboards with accompanying graphics and any video would be just race footage, garage footage etc., with some encouraging words from some of the GTAcademy or some FIA drivers thrown in for good measure. It would essentially just be a guide through your career, detailing what options you have at a given point, and then presenting you with a list and you pick one. Contracts are offered as you level up from a series and while in series your team gives you encouragement, backslapping, whatever the case may be. If you make it all skippable, I don't see how anyone can complain and I think a lot of people would get a real kick out of it if it was well done.

If it's video story based, yes I think you're right, it'll be horrible, especially if it's CGI. There's just no way to appeal to 10 million people with one video style. However I do think there is a place for real video footage, probably focusing around the GTAcademy and FIA ties-in's. Short interviews with Jann and a few of the boys would be encouraging for new drivers to the series and fun to watch for some of the veterans. That's why I'd go with something simpler like Grid AS's contract offer type of approach. Most of it can be done on storyboards with accompanying graphics and any video would be just race footage, garage footage etc., with some encouraging words from some of the GTAcademy or some FIA drivers thrown in for good measure. It would essentially just be a guide through your career, detailing what options you have at a given point, and then presenting you with a list and you pick one. Contracts are offered as you level up from a series and while in series your team gives you encouragement, backslapping, whatever the case may be. If you make it all skippable, I don't see how anyone can complain and I think a lot of people would get a real kick out of it if it was well done.

A story mode in racing games pretty much only works in Need for Speed. Gran Turismo just isn't the type of game to receive a story; Burnout is street racing, and it doesn't have a story either. However, what you listed here was pretty good. Something minimal, maybe acting like a guide throughout the game. 👍

A story mode in racing games pretty much only works in Need for Speed. Gran Turismo just isn't the type of game to receive a story; Burnout is street racing, and it doesn't have a story either. However, what you listed here was pretty good. Something minimal, maybe acting like a guide throughout the game. 👍
Exactly, more like a guide through the game as opposed to a story.

I really don't think GT7 should have a story in the career mode. I think it should be more structured towards team development. Picking your own route through the career mode in Gran Turismo games have been a staple since the first one was released. I do agree the career mode does need a serious update, or a complete overhaul maybe, but placing a story in it won't make it better in my opinion. Just doesn't fit.

I really don't think GT7 should have a story in the career mode. I think it should be more structured towards team development. Picking your own route through the career mode in Gran Turismo games have been a staple since the first one was released. I do agree the career mode does need a serious update, or a complete overhaul maybe, but placing a story in it won't make it better in my opinion. Just doesn't fit.
Wouldn't the "team development" then be the story? In order for the idea of team development to work, you need something back from the game I would assume. "Congratulations, you've joined ABC racing, here's the next event etc. etc. etc. "...?

Earlier on I did say no, but after reading some of the comments here made me wonder: most of the proposals here lean towards motorsport side of the things - while no doubt that's fun, I'm not quite sure that's what GT franchise has focused on over the years. I mean, they even took out the qualifying from offline mode altogether, for crying out loud.
IF you want a story or somesuch, then shouldn't it offer a choice in whether you wanna be Takumi Fujiwara or Lucas Ordonez? I for one am not all that interested in motor racing side - my focus always has been street cars. So a story line involving a racing team isn't all that appealing to me at least. Can't say for everyone playing the game, but I'll be surprised if I'm the only one here with this feeling.
...........There's my couple o' cents....

I don't mind the OP explanation. GT6 was almost on this path. Starting with the Clio. An option coild have been to keep the car, sell it, or choose to upgrade it with racing parts.

Next, there is GT Academy. Career Mode should have an OPTION to do GT Academy. Racing against past winners Time Trials at Silverstone. Racing ghost lines or A.I. from the past participants' 370Zs races. Next, setting times in the GT-Rs. Moving up to Red Bull Jrs or open wheel Nissan Formula cars. The dirt buggy races. GT3 Nismo re-inactments in Blancpain or complete a Blancpain Endurance or Blancpain Sprint Series. All the while amassing Cr and prize cars. This is just one option next to Arcade, Online, normal Career Mode. We have the Red Bull, Senna content and Goodwood. Why isnt GTAcademy a stand alone mode?

It's a wonder why GT Academy was not in GT5 & GT6. It's a no brainer to award the prize cars like those of us got after the GTA download.

If the cars, events & racing are all convincing you don't need poorly modeled computer people telling you what it is.

With things like decent AI, qualifying, believable events and championships, my brain manages to imagine my own story and the best thing yet, that story isn't exactly the same every time I play it.

I have quite a few of the codemasters titles, but usually only ever played them in the custom event mode because all the crappy "story" fluff they used to put around the career was horribly off-putting and actually destroyed my sense of immersion.

Grid:Autosport on the other hand has removed all of the fluff & is so much more playable - and the racing is just excellent.

So, no to a story mode please!

If the cars, events & racing are all convincing you don't need poorly modeled computer people telling you what it is.

With things like decent AI, qualifying, believable events and championships, my brain manages to imagine my own story and the best thing yet, that story isn't exactly the same every time I play it.

I have quite a few of the codemasters titles, but usually only ever played them in the custom event mode because all the crappy "story" fluff they used to put around the career was horribly off-putting and actually destroyed my sense of immersion.

Grid:Autosport on the other hand has removed all of the fluff & is so much more playable - and the racing is just excellent.

So, no to a story mode please!
Grid Autosport does have the kind of story mode I've mentioned in this thread. Contract offers, a pit boss yelling encouragement or disappointment over the headset...etc. A storymode doesn't necessarily mean cutscenes and ghoulish looking Avatars, it can be simple and straightforward as in GAS and still work quite well.

Grid Autosport does have the kind of story mode I've mentioned in this thread. Contract offers, a pit boss yelling encouragement or disappointment over the headset...etc. A storymode doesn't necessarily mean cutscenes and ghoulish looking Avatars, it can be simple and straightforward as in GAS and still work quite well.

Sorry, yes I was thinking of all the cutscenes etc... Actually usually the car to pit radio is horrible but in Grid:AS they made it useful. I think the team goals, sponsor goals and rivals stuff works really well in Grid:AS

Back