Should GT7 have Story in Career Mode?

• Thread starter Rouward
  • 87 comments
Why ? I haven't seen anything better yet.

I haven't seen anything worse. It's disastrously cheesy. A career mode makes sense with sponsor objectives and the like, no need for unnecessary embellishments.

If you mean you shouldn't copy and paste what they were doing 12 years ago I agree.

I think we both fundamentally agree with what we would like to see in a racing game, but we are just calling it different things. I would call what we saw in Grid Autosport a career mode - a story mode, for me, implies what we saw in Race Driver 1.

Last edited:
My concept idea:
I think that there should be by classes:

You start at Novice league; Then you can progress to Amateur League, and then to Professional league... So on until the Expert League.

My concept idea:
I think that there should be by classes:

You start at Novice league; Then you can progress to Amateur League, and then to Professional league... So on until the Expert League.
Isn't that the same as it's always been just with different names?:confused:

Isn't that the same as it's always been just with different names?:confused:
I got wrong... What I meant is that PD should put the levels back again like GT5 and FM5.

But I think that Afinity level for a Manufacturer should be present in GT7, too.
level.JPG

I think that GT7 should have an driver level (For Drivers B-Spec and A-Spec, A-Spec and B-Spec sepparated like GT5) and Affinity level (for manufacturers)

But the stars of GT6 shouldn't be deleted.
f127b4622191b570bbac2016b62ee7450642c30c.png__1920x1080_q85_crop_upscale.png

I got wrong... What I meant is that PD should put the levels back again like GT5 and FM5.

But I think that Afinity level for a Manufacturer should be present in GT7, too.
View attachment 284423
I think that GT7 should have an driver level (For Drivers B-Spec and A-Spec, A-Spec and B-Spec sepparated like GT5) and Affinity level (for manufacturers)

.................So wait, if your "affinity" level is low with Manufacturer X, then what happens? Do the cars from the said car maker perform worse than they should, until you reach high enough level? Sorry but that makes no sense in a racing game; if this was, say Borderlands or Fallout yeah such system works, but I can't grasp the point of this affinity system unless it's there just to pad the gameplay length.("Oh look your Affinity with Car Maker X is too low!! You don't get 100%!! Haha!!")

.................So wait, if your "affinity" level is low with Manufacturer X, then what happens? Do the cars from the said car maker perform worse than they should, until you reach high enough level? Sorry but that makes no sense in a racing game; if this was, say Borderlands or Fallout yeah such system works, but I can't grasp the point of this affinity system unless it's there just to pad the gameplay length.("Oh look your Affinity with Car Maker X is too low!! You don't get 100%!! Haha!!")
But the Affinity level does not need to be part of 100% Completion, just for part for Platinum Trophy.

But the Affinity level does not need to be part of 100% Completion, just for part for Platinum Trophy.

............I was being sarcastic about "100%" part...
Anyways that's not the point; what I'm trying to say is that what's the point of affinity system if it weren't there to just pad the game's length artificially.
Think about it, if it were implemented and you need to raise your affinity level of a car maker to a certain level in order to, oh I don't know let's say, unlock one-make races or special cars. Doesn't this become just another way of grinding??
If it's sort of "just there for no reason", isn't that precious dev time eaten up by a meaningless feature?? With a B-spec, sure why not - but what about driver's exp levels, then? Oh hell, how about affinity level with specific tracks??
If your affinity level with a track is low then no matter how well you drive you still come dead last - so now you grind and grind in order to have a high enough affinity level. See how sucky that would be?
........Apologies for going off topic - been a long day so far and I seem to have a need to vent a bit....

............I was being sarcastic about "100%" part...
Anyways that's not the point; what I'm trying to say is that what's the point of affinity system if it weren't there to just pad the game's length artificially.
Think about it, if it were implemented and you need to raise your affinity level of a car maker to a certain level in order to, oh I don't know let's say, unlock one-make races or special cars. Doesn't this become just another way of grinding??
If it's sort of "just there for no reason", isn't that precious dev time eaten up by a meaningless feature?? With a B-spec, sure why not - but what about driver's exp levels, then? Oh hell, how about affinity level with specific tracks??
If your affinity level with a track is low then no matter how well you drive you still come dead last - so now you grind and grind in order to have a high enough affinity level. See how sucky that would be?
........Apologies for going off topic - been a long day so far and I seem to have a need to vent a bit....
I am not familiar with Forza but from the graphic above, it looks like the Affinity reward is just bonus winnings for sticking with a manufacturer.

I am not familiar with Forza but from the graphic above, it looks like the Affinity reward is just bonus winnings for sticking with a manufacturer.

......................Yeah sorry just venting a little.
Higher credit bonus are granted if you win a race with a car from a maker with a high enough affinity level...At least that's what the photo say...

I don't get all this contract nonsense. If I want a "career" in GT, it's not so I can be someone else's blunt instrument.

I want to buy a car I like the look of, and enter it into an event of my choosing. It could be a single sprint, a drag, an endurance or a whole season, or multiple seasons.

Then rinse and repeat, improving the car as I go; the only goals being set by me, not some idiotically shallow imagining of a manager, especially not one who's going to shout inane 🤬 at me when I'm trying to drive.

Basically, I'm talking event creator / sand box. And a continuous and adjustable blend of A spec and B spec features, combining driver and race outfit roles in a way that suits players.

I'd be happy if GT's "simulation" mode is nothing but carefully pre made examples of event creator, er, events, with a varied bias of A and B spec features. They would be chosen to plot a path of difficulty (driving skills), history and complexity (environment and rules) for casual players. EDIT: they could also be used as editable presets in the event creator proper, providing at least some incentive to progress.

There would be no emphasis on being "hired" by anyone, no emphasis on sponsors, and no emphasis on idiots sporting foreign accent of the week saying idiotic things in a vain attempt to make me feel cool.

Last edited:
I don't get all this contract nonsense. If I want a "career" in GT, it's not so I can be someone else's blunt instrument.

I want to buy a car I like the look of, and enter it into an event of my choosing. It could be a single sprint, a drag, an endurance or a whole season, or multiple seasons.

Then rinse and repeat, improving the car as I go; the only goals being set by me, not some idiotically shallow imagining of a manager, especially not one who's going to shout inane 🤬 at me when I'm trying to drive.

I completely agree with this. Are you listening Codemasters?

here's my idea:

As a race car driver you start with a selection of low tier JDM's (NO HONDA FIT!!!) and compete on the series of the events until you got your first license: the National B License will grant access to Beginner Events. However, someone just issued a challenge in a Galant and you need to buy a Mitsubishi (recommends Evos) and race him on Matterhorn

Then after beating him, the License Test for National A is available. but, it requires you to win 15 out of 20 Beginner Events, after 5 events were won, Mission Races was available and accessible. Beginner Mission Races Featured "The Pass" Missions. After 10 Events Won, Coffee Breaks were available and accessible. these Coffee Breaks feature knocking down the cones and an Eco Challenge of 10 laps around Silverstone The Stowe Circuit in a BMW M4 chasing a Prius Touring Car and win with less fuel consumption by following the Prius. After 15 events have won, it's time for taking a License Test... after completing all of the tests, you recieved your second license: the National A License will grant access to Amateur Events. Again, however, another challenger has sent you a challenge message, this time by Koopa Troopa and challenges you in any car with 600 PP or Less and race him on SSR11

after defeating him, win 20 out of 25 races to unlock the International B License Tests. And also, Showdown Mode is unlocked, it feature various showdowns from various fanfics and mangas and animes.

win 15 out of 25 events then One Make Races unlocked. it features cups that restrict a make for the race... win 20 out of 25 events to take part in the International B License Tests... After completing all of the tests, you recieved your third License: the International B License granted you an access to Professional Events. However, Again..., a challenger issued a challenge, by Larry Koopa this time... in a car with 650 PP or Less and race him on wet SSR5

after defeating him, Mario series was unlocked in Showdown Mode. win 25 out of 30 Events to unlock the GT All-Stars Championship. Win 20 out of 30 Events to unlock a Gymkhana Mode and Ken Block's Ford Fiesta...
After winning the GT All-Stars Championship, it's time to take part the International A License tests... after completing all the tests, you recieved your fourth license: the International A license grants you access to Expert Events. a challenger is approaching! this time by an RX7 Driver and urges you to buy a Mazda RX7 and race him on wet SSR11

after defeating him, win 30 out of 35 events to unlock the GT World Championship... win 25 out of 35 events to recieve the Mercedes F1 W05 Hybrid '14. After completing the GT World Championship, it's time to tackle these time trials! After completing the tests, you finally recieved your fifth and the final license: the Super License grants you access to Extreme Events.

win 15 out of 20 Extreme races to unlock the FIA WEC Qualifier. after completing the Qualifier, you can access to the Endurance Events, however, a final challenge took place on Suzuka Circuit 2014, this time a mini endurance called Suzuka 2014 10 Lap Challenge

after winning the mini endurance, the endurance races are now available...

win 10 out of 15 endurance races to unlock Motegi 24 Hours. win 13 out of 15 races to unlock 24 Hours of Le Mans. win the 24 Hours of Le Mans to unlock 24 Hours Of Nurburgring...

so, that's my idea...

It's rare to find racing game with a story like in classic NFS games (notably from Underground to The Run), R: Racing Evolution (though I only played 2P mode from my cousin long ago), etc.

Holy Crap, someone else played R: Racing Evolution? I've never known of anyone else apart from my brothers to have played it.

Yes I agree there should be a story, but I'd like it to be a really good one, like on the same level as their driving physics and not on the level of the AI. PD are REALLY starting to get into the history of things so maybe they could put together a few mini-stories of classic battles and things like that with the classic tracks to go with them. A big story though, again, I think should be something great. R: Racing had a heck of a story, even modnation racers had a decent one. If they do it, hire a full on team of writers to come up with something really compelling, not something sort of thrown in last second or simple. They should have a complete story with voice-overs, cut scenes and everything. All or nothing is really what I'm saying this should be. We know PD are phenomenal when they really put an effort in and quite frankly rather appalling when they do something but with no real effort behind it. Whether or not there is one doesn't bother me, but if there is I don't want it to put me off of the game for being a terrible thing.

No.

There is too much useless fluff and less content already.
Not to mention the proliferation of drama overdose everywhere you turn nowadays.
Put the resources in the game play, or use them to update the standards.

Actually GT has always had a story in every game.
And the player gets to write, direct and perform it.
Less choice for the player is rarely if ever a good thing.

Always feel the best approach for GT is have a million events available and you get to choose what you want to do. I think they need to revamp the license tests, make it a bit more fun.

But having an actual story like NFS etc is something I'd not welcome.

GT has a story

You are put on a planet called GT World which has all of the world's race tracks along with some fictional ones, it has 1 car dealer, sometimes having new and used, but recently all new cars, and a place called GT AUTO and a tuning shop. There are alot of events being run by the GT Association who run all the licences and events on the planet. There are also online events you can enter. Your goal is to own every car and to win every event.

I have mixed feelings about this. If PD can craft a story around GT mode, it should be separate from the standard career mode. I'd like to see a mode similar to WWE 2K15's "2K Showcase mode", but with automotive rivalries, for example, Ford vs Chevrolet, Subaru vs Mitsubishi, Ferrari vs Lamborghini (or Ferrari vs Porsche if PD can secure the license.) The player would choose a side, then begin at the earliest point in history when the rivalry began, and then work their way through the eras, culminating in a race at the highest level of competition, official motorsport.

Now here's an idea I thought of. There's a GT Academy with the real GT Academy cars of previous years and that bases what team and car offers are available, obviously, you would start in your region doing races and then leading up to proving yourself on the international stage.

Or make the game look like R:Racing Evolution, in R:Racing Evolution there's a story mode and simulation mode, in story mode you play as a Japanese-American girl who drives ambulances like a pro and then became a race driver while in simulation mode you simply buy cars and race in the same way as Gran Turismo.

By the way this game was made by the same creators of Ridge Racer.

Why are we still talking about a story mode that's the last thing this franchise needs seriously though no offence, but what makes people think this story would be decent? It's kinda of like how they added an unnecessary story to the NBA 2K franchise of games that's how I'd imagine GT would turn out.

Whilst I agree that the usual notion of "story" in a racing game does not appeal to me, I do like the imaginative ideas some have come up with.

Think of this more as "what alternatives are there to the usual cynical nonsense?".

There is a story mode in GT. It's written by you.

You choose a car to start with (in GT6 not-so) and you work your way up to faster cars. Simple?

Story mode would be great. Why can't we go through what GT Academy drivers have experienced?

Driving 370Zs and GTRs at Silverstone. Altima coupes at Road America. Off road vehicle challenges. Building up Avatar endurance for B-Spec(optional). Nissan Formula races. LMP drives. It's right in front of them to implement this as an option.

Now, if I start one more GT series at Autumn Ring. Maaaaaaannnnnn.....

Back