Should I buy a steering wheel, just for iRacing?

Netherlands
Netherlands
Hello guys! Here's my story: I've been racing with a Logitech Driving Force GT since 2010, mainly (well, on the F1 games from Codemasters, up until 2013, when I had enough of it. I then bought GRID Autosport earlier this year together with all my online racing buddies so we could play that until Project CARS came out.

Project CARS came out and I bought it together with a Thrustmaster T300RS. After nearly a month, the rumours about a new Logitech wheel came popping up for the 200 euros price range and because I wasn't too happy with the game as well, I decided to return my Thrustmaster T300RS and wait it out for the Logitech wheel.

Fast forwarding to now, it's been about a month without a wheel, and I don't feel like I've been missing something. Or like I've been missing Project CARS. If I ever want to go back to racing, it would be more simulation wise, so I looked into iRacing and so far, I'm quite liking what I see.

Here's the problem: if I want to try out iRacing, I would have to buy a wheel again (since sold my old Driving Force GT). This week there's a great sale going on at a local store: the Thrustmaster T300RS for 300 euros. But... I'm unable to return it once I open the box.

That means that if I want to try out iRacing and invest the 300 euros in the Thrustmaster, that money is gone. Do you guys think that I will like racing on iRacing enough, so that I will continue my gaming pleasure and I won't regret buying the wheel?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Definitely yes !! :)👍

Edit: to elaborate my answer, I'd say that iRacing is worth every penny as a racing sim, and despite I've never tried one I've read lots of good reviews about the T300RS. 300€ looks like a good deal, you'll really enjoy iRacing once it's correctly configured!

Last edited:
I agree with @Tijee
iRacing is the best thing i have every put my money into and you do need a wheel to get the best out of it.

I agree with @Tijee
iRacing is the best thing i have every put my money into and you do need a wheel to get the best out of it.

Yeas I agree, best way I've ever spent money in any kind of racing game or sim.

I've been reading a lot about the logitech stuff and while I prefer the gear driven over the belt driven systems, I think if I want to push to the next step in speed for myself, I need to go to belt driven. The new logitech has the same FFB system as the G27 which is sad and cheap on Logi's part.

Yeas I agree, best way I've ever spent money in any kind of racing game or sim.

I've been reading a lot about the logitech stuff and while I prefer the gear driven over the belt driven systems, I think if I want to push to the next step in speed for myself, I need to go to belt driven. The new logitech has the same FFB system as the G27 which is sad and cheap on Logi's part.

I watched the video that logitech put out on the G29 and it's pathetic for the price that they're asking. Absolutely no new creations or technology. If they brought back the sequential shifter it would be a little better but still nothing new, but instead a shifter at all is an extra cost. The G27 is far superior IMO and is still $225 on amazon.

Last edited:
they brought out the new wheel so it will work on the PS4. Nothing else new about it.
The only good this is you get DFGT buttons and g27 pedals :)

@SufferInPeace can you not find a cheap wheel on eBay... a DFGT would be pretty cheap, and from my memory when owning one it was a good wheel, considering the cost. It's only let down by a soft brake pedal.

If your concerned that you may not pursue iRacing further surely this would be a safer way to spend your cash!

As for the game itself, I feel it is the best I've played.

iRacing is fantastic!

I really recommend it, even if after your month or 3 month subcription or year or whatever you choose it would be money well spent.

Since you would be a new user there are lots of ways to get iracing for a cheaper price.
Here is buy 1 month and get 2 free discount code: PR-CODEWEAVERS
If that didn't work try this for the same deal: PR-RACENOW2015

There is currently 50% off memberships without discount codes too so now is the time to give it a try in my opinion.
If you wouldn't mind - if you could refer me as suggesting you to this that would be a great help :)
my referral email is: GremlinWon@gmail.com

Hope you enjoy iracing and I hope the codes work for you aswell.

I've been only playing iRacing for around 3 months have loved every minute of it. I've raced in leagues before and enjoyed that playing rfactor but this is a whole new level.

I've only being racing the Skip Barbers mainly but really enjoying it and am looking forward to progressing through the ranks.

iRacing is the only sim I play these days, best investment I've made/

The G27 is way better than the T300, I don't think I could really recommend a T300 at all. A T300 is an equivalent to a DFGT. It's enough to enjoy sim racing but it will never be the best.

"G29 is just going to be a G27 with different coding" @TheClarky - It's a fair assumption but there are changes that are much better, it's quieter for a start, there are many differences but I agree that I can't justify the price of a G29 compared to a G27 just yet especially due to the fact that it doesn't even come with the shifter.

If you really want a good wheel look at Fanatec or maybe less pricey look at the T500 RS.

The G27 is way better than the T300, I don't think I could really recommend a T300 at all. A T300 is an equivalent to a DFGT. It's enough to enjoy sim racing but it will never be the best.

"G29 is just going to be a G27 with different coding" @TheClarky - It's a fair assumption but there are changes that are much better, it's quieter for a start, there are many differences but I agree that I can't justify the price of a G29 compared to a G27 just yet especially due to the fact that it doesn't even come with the shifter.

If you really want a good wheel look at Fanatec or maybe less pricey look at the T500 RS.
Having had a DFGT, the T300RS is in a whole different league

Having had a DFGT, the T300RS is in a whole different league
I've heard plenty of bad things about both and I think logitech have a better service for things.
Eitherway back on topic rather than having a debate about wheels,

Iracing is worth buying a wheel specially for it.

Okay well done. You have found 2 videos that agree with your opinion and think it's funny that I don't have the same opinion.
Now can you keep the topic, on topic. If you want to debate what wheel is best go to a relevant thread and topic.

Okay well done. You have found 2 videos that agree with your opinion and think it's funny that I don't have the same opinion.
Now can you keep the topic, on topic. If you want to debate what wheel is best go to a relevant thread and topic.

LOL, I had a DFGT, G25 and T300RS. And no, DFGT and T300 are not equals.

It's funny because your opinion is just that and seemingly based on nothing but hearsay. Your comparison between the T300 and the DFGT is frankly ridiculous and as such is going to draw some heat. You can't then expect people to not express their opinions after you have had the chance to express yours.
Its a follow on from the topic theme isn't it? And as I said, you already aired your opinion - seems to me you are now just trying to duck for cover because you said something ill-considered.

Edit: My own opinion is, having used Fanatec wheels for the last few years, after owning several Logitech wheels prior to that, I would now never use anything but Fanatec.

Okay thank you moderator for being rather unprofessional and some what piling abuse back.
What a nice bunch of admins we have here.

I can't be bothered to argue @TheClarky but as I have stated before in reply to your question get a wheel for iracing. You won't regret it.
Why should I argue if someone with authority here states my opinion as ridiculous. It's poor in my opinion. Very unattractive for a site as big as this. Plenty of other places to go so I'm not worried. ;)

In my opinion I would disagree. The only thing the G27 has over the T300 is the brake progression on the standard pedals but everything else the T300RS wins. Also the comparison with the T300 and DFGT is absurd.

- I have used the G27 & DFGT. My current setup now is the T300RS + T3PA pedals and it is not comparable to the G27 or DFGT.

Okay thank you moderator for being rather unprofessional and some what piling abuse back.
What a nice bunch of admins we have here.
I am one admin, not the several that would be required to constitute a bunch...

I didn't abuse you either; describing your flippant remark comparing a cheap wheel to one of the more expensive examples as ridiculous doesn't offer insult to you personally but if you choose to take offence, that is your prerogative of course. Hyper-sensitivity to contradiction is common on a discussion forum.

In my opinion, it's poor to make an ill-considered yet bold assertion and then attempt to hide from the negative reactions it generates.

I'm not hiding at all. I refuse to argue because it won't make anything better. I will take it personally because your comments were flippantly applied to my opinion so why shouldn't I?

Hyper-sensitive is a very over exaggerated term to be using in this case if you want to argue about how apparently my flippant comment about a "cheap" wheel is compared to one that is marginally more expensive then fine, at least have the respect to PM me it instead of publicly raising it getting everyone to join your band wagon.

I haven't argued back also because i have already been told by another person that my opinion (not that I am allowed one here it seems) was wrong and was backed up nicely and politely. I then didn't need another person posting videos and a laughing gesture when I had already been told once and then more so I have one of the admins jumping in aswell. Really wasn't needed.

Now if you excuse me, I couldn't care less what you have to say now as I quite frankly don't care or have the time to keep reading and being quoted with which wheel the world of GTP thinks is the best which is why I also tried pointing the topic back on task to Should I buy a steering wheel, just for iRacing? not Which wheel is best for iRacing.

I refuse to argue because it won't make anything better.
And yet here you are, attempting to strengthen your position by continuing to do just that.
I will take it personally because your comments were flippantly applied to my opinion so why shouldn't I?
The word you used was "abuse". I did not abuse you, rather called into question the credibility of your statement. You of course have the right to take that personally if you wish.
Hyper-sensitive is a very over exaggerated term to be using in this case if you want to argue about how apparently my flippant comment about a "cheap" wheel is compared to one that is marginally more expensive then fine, at least have the respect to PM me it instead of publicly raising it getting everyone to join your band wagon.
Interpreting my comment as abuse is hyper-sensitive. If I said you were an idiot for thinking it, that could be interpreted as abuse, for example. It is you who appears to want to argue, however. My actions as a moderator were performed publicly, yes, particularly as I was made aware of this by you sending a report about it in effort to support your position. It certainly isn't a bandwagon; I don't care who agrees with me or not and don't require approval to take action in response to a report.
I haven't argued back
That is exactly what you are doing, however.
Also because i have already been told by another person that my opinion (not that I am allowed one here it seems) was wrong and was backed up nicely and politely. I then didn't need another person posting videos and a laughing gesture when I had already been told once and then more so I have one of the admins jumping in aswell. Really wasn't needed.
It breaks no rules though and the member posting it has the same right to post their opinions as you do. Doesn't mean everyone will approve of or agree with them but again, they have the right not to, as do you.
Now if you excuse me, I couldn't care less what you have to say now as I quite frankly don't care
You are excused, of course. :)

Comparing a DFGT to a T300 is a pretty big claim.

In my opinion having owned a DFGT and a TX (essentially the same as a T300 except for xbox and with 900 rotation instead of 1080) is that they are completely different. DFGT fills the cheap entry price point and the TX/T300 is a much better, more advanced wheel. Hell a lot of people think its better than a G25/27

he entire operation of the wheel and how force feedback is delivered, how it feels, the strengths etc are MILES above a DFGT. Thats not to say a DFGT is bad. It's an excellent wheel and an awesome starting point for sim racing and if you are after a cheap entry point I can't recommend it more!

The weakness of the TX/T300 package lies in the packaged pedals (and in the case of the TX the packaged wheel rim). Combined with products from other manufactures (fanatec) or products from the thrustmaster ecosystem it gets better and better.

And seeing as the T500 was mentioned, a lot of people favour the base of the TX/T300 over the T500 as the TX/T300 has a better motor

Comparing a DFGT to a T300 is a pretty big claim.

In my opinion having owned a DFGT and a TX (essentially the same as a T300 except for xbox and with 900 rotation instead of 1080) is that they are completely different. DFGT fills the cheap entry price point and the TX/T300 is a much better, more advanced wheel. Hell a lot of people think its better than a G25/27

he entire operation of the wheel and how force feedback is delivered, how it feels, the strengths etc are MILES above a DFGT. Thats not to say a DFGT is bad. It's an excellent wheel and an awesome starting point for sim racing and if you are after a cheap entry point I can't recommend it more!

The weakness of the TX/T300 package lies in the packaged pedals (and in the case of the TX the packaged wheel rim). Combined with products from other manufactures (fanatec) or products from the thrustmaster ecosystem it gets better and better.

And seeing as the T500 was mentioned, a lot of people favour the base of the TX/T300 over the T500 as the TX/T300 has a better motor

But without a shadow of a doubt the DFGT will last longer than any of those thrustmasters as they do not have the build quality. And that is my main argument to the DFGT being better because you can adjust and mod things like the FFB (i certainly have) and feel I have made it feel very realistic. and now I also have the dependability of the wheel. I have spoken to many pro sim racers who like the thrustmasters but all say there are so many horrors to owning one which is why they end up using something far more pricey such as a fanatic. One of them even built there wheel from custom parts.

And that is my main argument to the DFGT being better because you can adjust and mod things like the FFB (i certainly have) and feel I have made it feel very realistic.
DFGT you are very limited compared to the T300RS such as you have only 900 degrees compared to 1080. You can't change the pedals nor you have the option to have an additional shifter. Also there are wide variety things you can do to the T300RS or TX base such as changing the rim to your liking, you can change the degree the angle and it is cross compatible.

those thrustmasters as they do not have the build quality.
DFGT has such a weaker force feedback, the brake on the pedals has literally no progression on the brake, the DFGT runs on the old belt drive system which is really loud and also it made entirely made out of plastic. Also the T300/TX has the upgradable firmware.

DFGT you are very limited compared to the T300RS such as you have only 900 degrees compared to 1080. You can't change the pedals nor you have the option to have an additional shifter. Also there are wide variety things you can do to the T300RS or TX base such as changing the rim to your liking, you can change the degree the angle and it is cross compatible.

Not true: G27 pedals work with it. You have a fair point though. As a whole I agree that the DFGT is not better but in my opinion the DFGT will last longer. also who needs 1080 degrees of rotation lol :) and you can change the rim on any logitech it's just a pain in the bottom ;) something I won't do.

DFGT has such a weaker force feedback, the brake on the pedals has literally no progression on the brake, the DFGT runs on the old belt drive system which is really loud and also it made entirely made out of plastic. Also the T300/TX has the upgradable firmware.

Agreed, but tweaks and so on help fix it. again pedals can be fixed with pressure springs but it shouldn't be like it in the first place. yeah one thing i hate is how loud the wheel is. I will agree. That's the difference between gear driven and belt driven wheels. belt driven wheels are more commonly known to go wrong however.

To be fair both wheels are in a different league to each other and probably weren't meant to compete with each other?
DFGT is much cheaper but on the whole not as good. Thrustmster T300 is more expensive but you can see where the money goes.

But without a shadow of a doubt the DFGT will last longer than any of those thrustmasters as they do not have the build quality. And that is my main argument to the DFGT being better because you can adjust and mod things like the FFB (i certainly have) and feel I have made it feel very realistic. and now I also have the dependability of the wheel. I have spoken to many pro sim racers who like the thrustmasters but all say there are so many horrors to owning one which is why they end up using something far more pricey such as a fanatic. One of them even built there wheel from custom parts.

Whilst the DFGT will most likely last longer than a thrustmaster, and there are pros and cons to mods, it's never just a straightforward process. Overall when it comes the delivery of the force feedback and the operational quality of the wheels TM kills the DFGT, in my opinion of course. Regardless I still think that overall a DFGT is a fantastic wheel and a highly recommended purchase, especially if you are budget conscious. A G29/G290 on the other hand is going to cost you close to the same as a T300/TX/T5000 but you're not getting the same quality of wheel, you're possibly getting durability (which is precedented) but overall it's a lesser product which is undeniable.

On the topic of reliability and fanatec as an alternative. On the iRacing forums alone there are countless threads with hundreds of pages about failures, DOA and repeat problems about the entire fanatec range, whist there may be thrustmaster "horror stories" the amount and severity of them are minuscule compared to the problems that fanatec have had.

It's commonly accepted in sim racing communities in terms of mass produced and marketed wheels that Logitech fills the low to mid range of wheels, Thurstmastmaster fills the middle range and fanatec fill mid to upper range.

My honest advice? If anyone reading this thread is set on a G29/G290 for PC only, buy a G27 instead and use the money you saved to buy a button box, go towards a wheelstand or other accessories etc. If you are looking a a G29/G290 for use on PS4/Xbox and pc. Go thrustmaster. The price point of the G29 and G290 is just too high for what you are getting

Back