Should I get a PC to play AC

• Thread starter jaynnc
  • 61 comments
United States
United States
I have AC now on ps4 pro with the fantac V2.5 using a drive hub....I love it so much but feel like Im missing so much more with playing it on PC. Like the mods for new cars and track and especially VR...I come to realize racing is all i want to do now...Dont play sports games that much anymore....I just wanted you guys opinion especially based off personal experience....Is the PC that much better than PS4?

Yes! get a PC to properly exploit the benefits AC has to offer.
The mods alone are worth the price of admission.

I'm not so sure and would like to here more from those that have played both versions.
If money isn't an issue, sure go for it. A decent PC and VR are sure to be north of $1000 easy.
I'm trying to finish my PC build (saving for G card) but doubt I'll be running VR. The PS4 is doing a great job in the meantime.

....Is the PC that much better than PS4?
Better depends on the pc. With a pc you have access to mods - new cars and tracks not available on a console. I have a pc and a ps4 version - prefer my pc version.

I would recommend it, not solely for Assetto Corsa, but to get into the universe of PC sim racing. There are other titles like rFactor 2, Automobilista & RaceRoom Racing Experience that you might become interested in trying when you can grab 'em for $10-$15 on Steam sales. The mods do open up an entirely new galaxy for Assetto Corsa. I love 'em. Some of them suck. Some of them are ok/good and some of them are Awesome & on the level with Kunos's cars. But, even if I think a car isn't all that good to drive, but it looks decent I will keep that car and just make the AI drive it during my races. AI drivers don't care what the cars feel like. :lol:

I lost my sim virginity with a PS3 & GT6 and I loved that sim for a long time...but then things kind of hit a wall for me and I decided to test the waters of PC sim racing and it's been the best decision - I am so happy that I did. As far as modding goes, once you get used to working with the PC version and you're comfortable adding mods, editing some text files for AC settings and such, I'm sure you will find yourself looking to do your own simple modding! Maybe you just want to make a special version of a Mustang with a bespoke paint job...you've lowered the car a little bit, bumped up the rear tires from 275's to 295's, you've only added 20 extra HP but you adjusted the torque curve to make the engine a bit snappier in lower RPMs. Everything I just listed can be done with simple editing of text files (except the paint job), but resident genius x4fab is bringing us our own paint studio within Content Manager - so you don't necessarily need to use something like photoshop or GIMP just to make simple color changes.

I'm far behind here with mods.
What exactly is a mod, how does it work, and does it cost money?

Also do other titles like PC2 have mods or do only certain developers "allow" it?

I would recommend it, not solely for Assetto Corsa, but to get into the universe of PC sim racing. There are other titles like rFactor 2, Automobilista & RaceRoom Racing Experience that you might become interested in trying when you can grab 'em for $10-$15 on Steam sales. The mods do open up an entirely new galaxy for Assetto Corsa. I love 'em. Some of them suck. Some of them are ok/good and some of them are Awesome & on the level with Kunos's cars. But, even if I think a car isn't all that good to drive, but it looks decent I will keep that car and just make the AI drive it during my races. AI drivers don't care what the cars feel like. :lol:

I lost my sim virginity with a PS3 & GT6 and I loved that sim for a long time...but then things kind of hit a wall for me and I decided to test the waters of PC sim racing and it's been the best decision - I am so happy that I did. As far as modding goes, once you get used to working with the PC version and you're comfortable adding mods, editing some text files for AC settings and such, I'm sure you will find yourself looking to do your own simple modding! Maybe you just want to make a special version of a Mustang with a bespoke paint job...you've lowered the car a little bit, bumped up the rear tires from 275's to 295's, you've only added 20 extra HP but you adjusted the torque curve to make the engine a bit snappier in lower RPMs. Everything I just listed can be done with simple editing of text files (except the paint job), but resident genius x4fab is bringing us our own paint studio within Content Manager - so you don't necessarily need to use something like photoshop or GIMP just to make simple color changes.
You forgot to add GTR2 an GT legends, even older it"d must have games, and is cheap

Race department will give you all the mods you'll ever need. I couldn't imagine playing the vanilla version. So yes its worth it, I built my pc just for that reason.

Just don't expect a drastically different game. Career mode is still uninteresting, it doesn't really have any more features/functions than the console version, still has sterile track environments, etc. etc. Sure, you get access to all the mods but not all of them are worth having and mods are rarely used online so unless you do a lot of offline racing they might not be of as much use as you expected (and not all mods have working AI so some are only good for hot lapping). AC in VR is pretty neat though, that's a definite advantage. I'm sure AC on PC is a better experience than on console, but not drastically and it really depends on what you want/expect from the game. If you basically just want the console version but with all the mods and a little more flexibility, then you'll be happy with it.

Having recently refreshed a temporary computer and adding a GTX 1070 until I finish a Ryzen build, I installed Steam and purchased a handful of titles on the summer sale. I haven't played anything on the PS4 since.

I turned it on to see about the GTS demo, but didn't get invited nor did I make it in time to try the demo before release, so....

I didn't try Assetto Corsa until after more than 2 weeks of getting it. I had a few titles I was delving into.

After driving it once, I was kinda meh. My expectation from hearing about the physics on GTPlanet...was that it was going to be the best thing ever.

I did a few races, but Project Cars was so intriguing to me at the time. It has all these tracks and content. It sounds awesome too.

Then it happened. A few weeks ago I saw/read something about a "mod car" in AC and then started looking into it.

It has been all AC from there on out. So many tracks, and good ones too....I have well over 100 already.

The cars are a little tougher because some of them are from earlier versions of the game and need some updates.
I don't know where I picked it up, but there is a 911 GT3 that is my go to car.
Just love it...it's a dream. Had to update the tires on it which put it over the top awesome.
porschers1.jpg

The physics and tyre model10 are in fact superb now spending some time with it. It feels really good even on my old weak G25.

Then there are all of the APPS that improve a lot of thing as well. Content Manager is by far a must.

If your comfortable with tinkering around with some Windows files etc... then AC offers a lot of really neat things for sim racing.

I would highly recommend it.

AC's title kinda sums it "Your Racing Simulator"

They have provided the core game/physics, the community can make it any type of sim they want.

A lot is already written. I played many many hours AC on PS and changed to PC/VR about six monts ago. Especially the mods/skins/tracks* etc is an extra dimension in the joy for AC. Also the possibility to add 'apps' to even get a more immersive race experience. Think about RSR live timing, ChiefCrew, Content Manager for AC. And don;t forget the very friendly AC community you get for free (goes also for console ;) )

Yes it cost a lot of money but personally I could afford it and I have no regrets for doing so. HP Omen 880 and Oculus Rift .

Over the last weeks with all the new race games/sims I switched between GTS/ PCars2 / AC. Now when the 'new introduction phase' has been settled I prefer AC and PCars2 for the real sim experience.

Hope this helps you to make the right decision for you. Anyway: enjoy!

* for me primary source is RaceDepartment and now and then also check e.g. AssettoLand, ACmods.net , http://assetto-db.com , http://assettocorsa.club

Like the mods for new cars and track and especially VR...I come to realize racing is all i want to do now

Based on that part of your post and particularly the VR part, which I warmly recommend, yes get a PC and prepare yourself to have you mind blown away. Console is OK, but PC is where it is at.
P.S. and if you do, Welcome to the dark side.
Dark+side+of+the+force+i+like+cookies_5b9318_3595960.jpg

I'm playing AC on PS4 and feel relatively happy with the fact that it's the best driving experience to have ever existed on consoles. Would I want a PC for the extra benefits? Definitely. Would I say it's worth it when already being on PS4? No.

Yes AC on PC is the way to play a racing game, the mods capacity are amazing. I also have AC on XB1 and never play it because the lack of mods and it's about 2-3 patches behind PC version.

Question about the drive hub, do you get full compatibility using withe the ps4? Nothing missing in the feedback etc? Only I bought a t500rs, which is pretty clunky, over the t300 due to hearing too many horror stories. Wasn't interested in the csl elite either. Yours sounds interesting however

I would like to buy a new game ( F12017or GTS) but i see it will be better to buy AC PC version. I m not sure does my computer wil run it. I have i5 3.0GHz, 64bit, 8GB RAM , GTX 650. So any suggestion could i run AC ???

I would like to buy a new game ( F12017or GTS) but i see it will be better to buy AC PC version. I m not sure does my computer wil run it. I have i5 3.0GHz, 64bit, 8GB RAM , GTX 650. So any suggestion could i run AC ???
Assetto minimum requirements, you should be fine
  • Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ.
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: DirectX 10.1 (AMD Radeon HD 6450, Nvidia GeForce GTX 460)
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection.
  • Hard Drive: 15 GB available space.
  • Sound Card: Integrated.

I agree with Cote Dazur. You won't be able to set everything to Maximum, but there are several features where the difference between Medium & High is almost indistinguishable to me, yet FPS improve tremendously.

I'm a little late to the party here but to the OP, definitely.

I have it on ps4 and pc and while it is much alike on both there are subtle differences to the interface and options. Such as being able to select your apponents in races. You can set up some awesome races. Obviously mods are a huge bonus. If you're thinking vr then that's the cherry on the cake as it's another level in driving this awesome sim. Honestly nothing compares if you enjoy sim driving. Add crew manager and you'll be in heaven.

Daz

I have it on ps4 and pc and while it is much alike on both there are subtle differences to the interface and options. Such as being able to select your apponents in races. You can set up some awesome races. Obviously mods are a huge bonus. If you're thinking vr then that's the cherry on the cake as it's another level in driving this awesome sim. Honestly nothing compares if you enjoy sim driving. Add crew manager and you'll be in heaven.

Daz
If you've got the free time to do it, what I highlighted can become a super awesome feature. I add the names of my real life friends, professional racers, athletes from other sports (:lol:) and I make up a bunch of silly names. It makes me pay attention a heck of a lot more to the drivers - especially when I'm running a Championship. You can assign names to a particular skin and even assign a driver skill percentage to individual drivers.

I don't know about you guys, but it's a lot easier for me to remember important things on the race track when I recognize the names. Maybe James Hunt and Tiger Woods are ahead of me for points standing. I will be able to translate that information while on the track a lot quicker. "I want to keep those two buggers behind me!"

It takes quite a while to setup and i've buggered it up a couple of times, but like I said, if you have the time it's pretty cool.

Daz

Selecting opponents is also possible in the console version when setting up Custom Championships. Not sure why this convenience wasn't added to Quick Race.

If you've got the free time to do it, what I highlighted can become a super awesome feature. I add the names of my real life friends, professional racers, athletes from other sports (:lol:) and I make up a bunch of silly names. It makes me pay attention a heck of a lot more to the drivers - especially when I'm running a Championship. You can assign names to a particular skin and even assign a driver skill percentage to individual drivers.

I don't know about you guys, but it's a lot easier for me to remember important things on the race track when I recognize the names. Maybe James Hunt and Tiger Woods are ahead of me for points standing. I will be able to translate that information while on the track a lot quicker. "I want to keep those two buggers behind me!"

It takes quite a while to setup and i've buggered it up a couple of times, but like I said, if you have the time it's pretty cool.

That sounds awesome. I didn't know that was possible. You've got me thinking now!

Daz

Selecting opponents is also possible in the console version when setting up Custom Championships. Not sure why this convenience wasn't added to Quick Race.

I don't get that either. It's a great feature to set up A Vs B type races and I've had so much fun doing this.

Daz

Yes AC on PC is the way to play a racing game, the mods capacity are amazing. I also have AC on XB1 and never play it because the lack of mods and it's about 2-3 patches behind PC version.

I feel the same, and also the Xb version is missing the graphic effects, the frame rate is all over the place, it's missing the drift tracks, Trento Bondone is missing, setting the seat position takes for ever, limited FOV settings and limited wheel support (w/o using Drive Hub). With out Mods, the PC version is worth it.

The PC version’s UI (main menu and apps) is reason alone to get it on PC. It’s so much more polished than the console version.
I have it on PC, and PS4Pro but rarely play it on the console. I think both GTS, and PC2 beat AC on console in terms of presentation, and graphics.
On PC, however, AC is such a beautiful game, in every aspect. Graphics, handling, presentation. I got PC2 on steam as well but refunded it before the 2 hours grace period. I instantly knew I would still play AC instead of PCars.
My PC is what would generally be considered a potato: FX-8350 with GTX970, and yet it runs AC at a rock solid 60fps. The console version, as you know, doesn’t run all that great even on a pro. The micro stuttering drives me nuts, and is the main reason I prefer GTS and PC2 on console.
If you really wanna focus on simming, I don’t think a console is the way to go.

The PC version’s UI (main menu and apps) is reason alone to get it on PC. It’s so much more polished than the console version.
I have it on PC, and PS4Pro but rarely play it on the console. I think both GTS, and PC2 beat AC on console in terms of presentation, and graphics.
On PC, however, AC is such a beautiful game, in every aspect. Graphics, handling, presentation. I got PC2 on steam as well but refunded it before the 2 hours grace period. I instantly knew I would still play AC instead of PCars.
My PC is what would generally be considered a potato: FX-8350 with GTX970, and yet it runs AC at a rock solid 60fps. The console version, as you know, doesn’t run all that great even on a pro. The micro stuttering drives me nuts, and is the main reason I prefer GTS and PC2 on console.
If you really wanna focus on simming, I don’t think a console is the way to go.
The proper way to do it is, download Content Manager, send the author a couple of bucks for a full-version unlock key and set Game Starter to AppID in the CM settings section (Settings > Content Manager > Drive > Game Starter). Once you have that setup, every time you want to launch a new track session it only takes about 15-18 seconds to be on the track from the time you hit the Go! button. After a week or two with Content Manager you'll wonder, "How the hell did I live without this??". I promise. :)

Heard lots of good things about CM (and some bad stuff, i.e. keylogger, which I don't take serious).
Will definitely give it a try, however, I don't know what you mean by "15-18 seconds to be on the track". It hardly takes that long to begin with. i have my game on an SSD though.

Heard lots of good things about CM (and some bad stuff, i.e. keylogger, which I don't take serious).
Will definitely give it a try, however, I don't know what you mean by "15-18 seconds to be on the track". It hardly takes that long to begin with. i have my game on an SSD though.
I think he just means you can save all kinds of setups/races/settings, so that you don't have to set up a race from scratch each time. Just load and go.

Back