Should PD reward the winners of the World Tour with real money?

Should PD reward the winners of the World Tour with real money?

• Of course, the drivers deserve to receive a prize in real money

Votes: 71 60.7%
  • No, the prestige of winning is enough

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • No, it is better to invest money in offering the best show

Votes: 23 19.7%

• Total voters
Spain
Spain
Freeman_Cruz
The World Tour events are very fun to watch and seem to have the highest production values of any other e-Sports competition, presenters, 7 pairs of commentators in different languages, a very carefully video edition, animators, stages, etc.
However, very little of all the money that PD invests in these events will reward the winners. The winners receive trophies, media recognition, trips and stays paid and some prizes in kind from the sponsors (Tag Heuer and Logitech) but not a prize in real money.
This contrasts with the cash prizes of other e-Sports events such as the EVO fighting game championship or even the Forza motorsports esports championships.
The New York event is an example of how controversial the attitudes of racing drivers and the decisions of commissioners can be, and the cash prizes might accentuate the bad aspects of the competition, but the drivers should be the protagonists and perhaps they deserve a greater reward for their efforts.
Will we get to see professional Gran Turismo drivers who can make a living competing in virtual racing series?

Other games have cash prizes, why not Gran Turismo, it would be a shame if all the familiar names dissapeared and were replaced by pro esport drivers, but hopefully that wouldn't happen.

Yes, I think so. In general I have not noticed an attitude shift in other prime games when payments became part of the package for top players, so doubt if it will bring problems that can't be dealt with by PD. As usual there's pro's and cons both sides of the argument, but I think there will be more pro's than cons.

If the events offer a cash prize for top performances or finishes what are the chances worldwide that such prizes will violate some countries gambling laws and exclude that countries citizens from participating that under the current rules are now allowed?
Ummm ... yeh ... maybe?
It can obviously already be a bit of a rabbit hole as it stands for some areas, so an increased prize could possibly complicate things.

I don't know if SIEE actually have a prize value cap or not to be honest.
The majority of PlayStation competition prizes are typically PlayStation products.
Although I believe there are the odd competition that has cash as the prize, but we're not talking massive money.

SIEE would consider the prize for each competitor to be the value of what it cost them to host the player in whatever location for however long a period, which is possibly quite a decent sum already.
Whether there is wriggle room above that to also add cash prize money I don't know.

Personally, I don't have currently enough skill to achieve going there. But my main focus to go there would be to race with the fastest people in GTS on the limits and enjoying it. Also maybe to prove myself that I can achieve something big. Money...I..personally don't like that idea.

I don't think it is the right time to offer cash prizes. Usually events are sponsored in order to offer prize money. It doesn't feel like there is enough exposure for a sponsor to offer big money like E-Sports tournements that attract stadiums of people can do. In comparison it will make GTS look small.

Existing "sponsors" like Red Bull and Toyota have brought us cars, given use of a venue and related experiences/hospitality and Michelin apparently expertise (will see in October how that works out). It feels like PD is more interested in growing this as an eSport, promoting the game as a platform and making credible motorsport connections/working relationships.

I also feel that introducing money would only magnify the teething problems in race setups and stewarding which are being tweaked or criticised.

If the events eventually reach a bigger audience and PD can attract sponsors, why not? It's probably in their plans, but right now I don't see any reason why PD needs to put money in prizes.

It's too early yet. Get the platform to a higher standard (GT7 probably) then start throwing money at it to possibly attract more stars of motor sport. They'll bring a lot of publicity with them and there should be more sponsorship offers as a result.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the bigger race teams organising big races. I think there's a lot of potential there for the teams themselves and PD.

Fraga's dirty stunt in NYC would be nothing compared to what the racing would devolve into. It would be bad for business. Besides, they're already getting paid with a free vacation and a whole mess of handouts.

If the events offer a cash prize for top performances or finishes what are the chances worldwide that such prizes will violate some countries gambling laws and exclude that countries citizens from participating that under the current rules are now allowed?

That's why certain countries/provinces/states are already excluded from the FIA races.

That's why certain countries/provinces/states are already excluded from the FIA races.
Correct that is very well known now, the question is IF changing the winnings to cash prizes could possibly put it on the other side of some countries laws which may increase the number of countries that their citizens would be eligible to compete.

I do not know the answer to that but it very well could possibly change some countries standing as to whether their citizen could compete.

Voted yes. These events regardless of the current viewer levels still provide a platform for PD, Sony, tag heuer, Michelin to advertise their products. The guys should be getting some share of any revenue that PD receives.

+
Other games do it so why not?

Those saying that the races would get dirtier; how will that be different from real racing where millions of dollars are on the line? It’s a job for the stewards (that are already involved) to more strictly enforce the rules and ensure fair racing continues.

It’ll make the competition tighter, get more drivers dedicated to earning that top tier status, and provide credibility to the event as a whole.

After seeing the production level of the New York event I was shocked to find out that there were no cash prizes involved.

Those saying that the races would get dirtier; how will that be different from real racing where millions of dollars are on the line

Because in eSports these guys basically have nothing to loose and everything to gain. There no upfront investment to throw away other than time, there is in the real world.

Those saying that the races would get dirtier; how will that be different from real racing where millions of dollars are on the line? It’s a job for the stewards (that are already involved) to more strictly enforce the rules and ensure fair racing continues.

It’ll make the competition tighter, get more drivers dedicated to earning that top tier status, and provide credibility to the event as a whole.

After seeing the production level of the New York event I was shocked to find out that there were no cash prizes involved.

Usually IRL, drivers are well off financially to affort some wreckage and a broken body part here and there. I'm pretty confident the relationship real racing drivers have with money is very, very, very different from that of people who play simracing on consoles, especially.

In simracing you can't risk more too. You don't die if you weck someone else to get the top prize.

Also, in simracing a prize can be the difference between being able to pay bills and help a family member out or get out of a poverty loop (if we talk 100.000 prize money, which isn't that big for esports but it's the equivelant of a life's work in a lot of countries, for millions of people). Especially for aliens from less rich countries (despite money being welcome for everyone).

To access GT's esport's competition you only need a PS4, the game, a monitor or TV, internet and a wheel or a pad.

---

That's a big difference between CS, DOTA, LOL, etc and sim racing. In FPS or Mobas, you're not dependent on the sportsmanship of your opponents. They can't put you off track and finish your chances at winning a prize money. In sim racing, you're not only dependent on your skills, but on the decisions and errors of your oponents.

Because in eSports these guys basically have nothing to loose and everything to gain. There no upfront investment to throw away other than time, there is in the real world.

I think you underestimate the amount of time necessary to dedicate to improving at the game in order to be at the top level.

Look at any other big eSport community. The top players aren’t out making a living through different jobs and then competing at the same time. They are living and breathing the game just like real world athletes in order to stay at their level. They need the financial backing from sponsors and prize pools to continue.

@zzz_pt I’m not sure if you’re arguing for or against prize pools...

No as I would be expected to subsidize it with paid update packs in GT7. I would prefer they spent more time developing a single player mode of the highest calibur and less on these costly and complicated events.

Exactly, and in fact it would be better than real racing because here the dirty drivers would be publicly shamed and blacklisted, whereas in real life bad/dirty drivers can just buy their way into another ride. The organizers will have complete control of who attends the events, and maybe if there’s more at stake they’ll actually start paying attention to the qualifying stages to get rid of the multi-account/team trickery that goes on under their nose, in addition to maybe watching top split replays.

I know I’m not the only one for whom money would be the sole motivation to get better at the game. I couldn’t care less about any of the other rewards, but once there’s some bills being stacked up maybe I’ll start practicing and buy a wheel and put the work in to try and move beyond being a backmarker in the top splits where I’ve been stuck normally.

I’m not investing money or time beyond what’s absolutely necessary/fun on a video game unless there’s a chance to make it back.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be a life changing amount. I vaguely remember the winner of the online MotoGP competition winning a BMW Z4, maybe Toyota can put up a GT86 or something.

@zzz_pt I’m not sure if you’re arguing for or against prize pools...

It's been done before, so it's possible. But I'm not very convinced money is the best prize. A contract as an esports driver for a manufacturer / sponsor; a car; a chance to test real race cars; tickets for an F1/GT race / paddock. Dunno.

I'm sure there are tons of things that can be given out to winners. Money is only one of them. I don't think atm money is a good idea. Not in the current format and with how much impact the bad/slow stewardship has right now.

One thing I'm sure. If money is involved, competition will be even higher because more drivers who atm don't bother to compete for nothing, would enter the races. Some would probably come from other sims.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty obvious that GT is not gambling but a pure skill game.

I’d be alright with modest cash prizes on top of the current awards. $2k first, $1k second, $500 third for both Nations and Manufacturers finals, and at the end of the year, a $10k prize for the ultimate champion. Would give a little more incentive while still striking a balance with fiscal responsibility.

There need to be real prizes other than paid "holidays" at some point.

I don't see why. Its pretty awesome to be able to travel like that doing what they love. It probably opens the door to other opportunities as well.
A lot of these top guys are probably making money at local events on a regular basis anyway.

I don't see why. Its pretty awesome to be able to travel like that doing what they love. It probably opens the door to other opportunities as well.
A lot of these top guys are probably making money at local events on a regular basis anyway.

Yes, its awesome.

At some point people will demand more.

Back