Should PD reward the winners of the World Tour with real money?

Should PD reward the winners of the World Tour with real money?

• Of course, the drivers deserve to receive a prize in real money

Votes: 71 60.7%
  • No, the prestige of winning is enough

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • No, it is better to invest money in offering the best show

Votes: 23 19.7%

• Total voters
Exactly, and in fact it would be better than real racing because here the dirty drivers would be publicly shamed and blacklisted, whereas in real life bad/dirty drivers can just buy their way into another ride. The organizers will have complete control of who attends the events, and maybe if there’s more at stake they’ll actually start paying attention to the qualifying stages to get rid of the multi-account/team trickery that goes on under their nose, in addition to maybe watching top split replays.

I know I’m not the only one for whom money would be the sole motivation to get better at the game. I couldn’t care less about any of the other rewards, but once there’s some bills being stacked up maybe I’ll start practicing and buy a wheel and put the work in to try and move beyond being a backmarker in the top splits where I’ve been stuck normally.

I’m not investing money or time beyond what’s absolutely necessary/fun on a video game unless there’s a chance to make it back.

They most certainly would not ban the dirty fast drivers. Controversy sells. "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

I think it's pretty obvious that GT is not gambling but a pure skill game.
Did you watch the blu-moon fiasco repechage race and then going to try to make that statement above with a straight face? Come on now!

Also in some of the races where there are different manufactures used and the drivers "draw" their cars or are assigned them randomly then depending on the circuit, the car drawn, and the fuel/ tire wear multipliers used the race end up being a lot of pure luck of the draw. Those same things can also depend on being locked into a manufacturer for a season as well.

Luck and chance can influence the final results in some of these races almost as much as skill when you are talking drivers all on pretty close to the same level of ability.

We all know the South American drivers excelled purely based on luck, that's gambling. :boggled:
You know what else is gambling? Jumping on the PUG train not knowing what stage 2 of the manufacturers series entails. :scared:

Last edited:
No, some drivers are already pretty dirty as it is now, if you bring money prizes into the mix it's gonna be a literal GTSport battle royale at every World Tour event

Did you watch the blu-moon fiasco repechage race and then going to try to make that statement above with a straight face? Come on now!

Also in some of the races where there are different manufactures used and the drivers "draw" their cars or are assigned them randomly then depending on the circuit, the car drawn, and the fuel/ tire wear multipliers used the race end up being a lot of pure luck of the draw. Those same things can also depend on being locked into a manufacturer for a season as well.

Luck and chance can influence the final results in some of these races almost as much as skill when you are talking drivers all on pretty close to the same level of ability.
lol. Unreal that you wrote all of that.
1. To gamble you have to put your money at risk.
2. Any sport involves some degree of luck. Otherwise the best player/team would win 100% of the time and we couldn't gamble on it.
3. Hizal and Fraga are the fastest and it's clear.

Last edited:
Excluding the event's significant set up costs in the (mostly) nice venues, I wonder how much the cumulative cost of sending the participants to the finals including accommodation and food is. The hotels, in countries I'll never have the privilege to visit, look nicer than any I've stayed in and the food looks good. They're definitely not slumming it. It wouldn't surprise me if they get a free bar too!

Now that's a helluva prize. A free bar... Get the racing chores out of the way and hit that free bar.👍

Money would turn it into a Pro sport would it not? Vs the Amateur sport that it currently is?

Well, that repachage race was pure lottery. :lol:
I dunno I'd say Brooks did a pretty bang up job in that race..!

I agree with @zzz_pt though. I think the enticing possibilties of esports sponsorship, maybe a racing licence or like the original gt academy a path to a true racing career. Those kinds of dream like possibilities are way cooler and attractive to any gearhead than a small (relatively)payday. In the long run I think that is what will attract more talent pro and amateur as well as more players young and old. Which is what everyone wants!

Yes. Look at all the big established esport tournaments in the world outside of the comparatively tiny realm of racing sims. They all have prize pools, because that's an easily understood goal for viewers.

Ramming (killing) each others for money?

apologies if this has been mentioned already (haven't read every post) - but imagine the scene... the final race and 2 drivers are battling it out on the last lap to take the grand cash prize, the driver in 2nd place decides to give an accidental 'nudge' to 1st place and sends him into the gravel. Ok he gets the 5 second penalty but still romps home to victory to fill his pockets with ill gotten gains!!

No thanks.
I would meet you halfway and say that every player could get say £/$/€1000 to cover lost earnings elsewhere, call it appearance money.

If they were awarded prize money, that would mean that all players would have to claim/pay tax on winnings right? Could that be an issue where it’s an international event?

I voted no but for far different reasons.
GTS has a valid livery editor, drivers should accept sponsorships and wear those colors during races. The default and often bland liveries of GTSport make the race hard to follow and to watch. Different liveries would help diversify the grid and would help paying drivers for their performance, Sony is then free to spend as much as they want for the live show.
Maybe one final prize? Something that is both rewarding yet has significance

Wait WHAT???? The drivers don't get paid? WTF? I thought all along this tournament had a cash prize, with something around at least $100,000. All they get is the trophy? LOL what a joke. And Forza has a cash prize but not this??? SMH. C'mon PD :rolleyes:👎:rolleyes::banghead:

In every competitive sport/activity, having money on the line drastically changes the level of competition as well as composure of the event.

In poker, most plays wouldn't even work without the fear/stress of losing actual money. In MMA, a sizable prize pool can motivate a fighter to let his arm break without giving up, if the prize money is considerably greater than the cost of repair and rehab. If you've ever done anything competitive, putting money on the line and a camera on your face just pushes everything to a higher level.

If they want even more effort from competitors money would be the way to do it.

I voted yes for one simple reason, esports are developing fast and races will always linked to money and one thing i really hate in RL races and in general to be able to compete you need a lot of resources and money so 99% of people that could have a chance in racing just can´t cause they are poor and have to work to be able to eat.

On the other hand in esports you just need a small investment in hardware and a really big investment to build up your skills so people could be payed for their talent even if they have a job they can make the effort to get the lvl of skill and maybe one day they can compete against the best and receive their price for the dedication to the game.

If theres so many other games with money prizes in motorsport makes sense even more, so yes people should be payed for their dedication and Honor prize for it self don´t put food on the table and dont pay the electricity bills etc etc.

I don't see how PD can offer money when they're still fine tuning the events. There's been way too many controversies and half of them came from PD themselves. The crazy idea to put genuine contenders for the final in a crap shoot oval race is very near the top of my list. They don't deserve a fist fight end to their event after the effort they've put in to get there. It was hideous to watch and impossible to follow the action.

I'd like to see a prize pool but PD need to step up the seriousness and stewarding consistency 1st.

We are talking about the future Gt sport it´s a "beta", PD had this generation to work for shure they will learn from their mistakes, we are in a trial and error phase i guess.

Theres a big room for improvement..., next year we have new hardware with a lot more processing power and a more stable online service, when all it´s fine tuned i don´t see any reason to make GT the top tier in terms o esports motorsport.

PD with all this online exposure for shure can and should increase their team, online it´s a another world when we talk about profits so if they do it right theres no reason to not put money has prizes..., and open the door for sponsors and stuff like in RL.

I do hate the gloves that drives use in events..., unless the wheel starts to burn i don´t see any reason to use them...:lol: , small things can be changed and improved one thing it´s for shure in my opinion like things are now still in his babie steps the future seems to smile i do like to see the live events.

Last edited:
I think PD should do what PD wants. We all have opinions but they obviously march to the beat of their own drum. That makes them special in my opinion. And successful.

It's the competitors of GT that offer flashy prizes to gain recognition. Does Sony need to compete? Maybe soon. But priority is the product, game and console. With competitors often the tournament is the priority.

I do hate the gloves that drives use in events..., unless the wheel starts to burn i don´t see any reason to use them

Maybe they all have deformed claw hands from years of Playstation use ;)

I think it is a sponsor requirement and also a hygeine thing. Keeps the wheels nice, and makes the drivers look smarter and identifiable as a kind of contestants uniform with the shirts and shoes. Basically at these things you get given free merch, you wear it.

Time should be paid, doubt that watches will feed participants who invest so much time in sport.

Playing GTS isn't a job though. It's a hobby they choose to do.

We're a looong way, if ever, of seeing an esport driver getting their expenses paid.

The real question is how much PD making profit from hosting the event every year ? How many Sponsor who partner with PD willing foot the bill to keep the event alive ? How much the return investment from partnership like Tag huer and Toyota, Michelin will get ? If they don't make any money no way they keep going forever. You gotta make some money in return to keep the league alive. Driver should be happy PD paying everything and they not footing the own bill to travel. Right now we just beginning phase of the league. I love money to go to driver who earn there place. But the investment in return is not worthed. They need find away to monetize from the fan who willing to spend ticket to go see the race or buy the items willing support, as right now I vote for no to keep the same and hope PD find a good solutions to it.

Back