Should we report our own post?

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 33 comments
United States
California
Sk8er913
Sometimes due to bugs, or human error. There are a lot of accidental double post. Usually the second one is marked as "delete." When we do this, should we report our own message so that the mods can more easily track down and delete these accidental post? I know I am probably on the podium for biggest offender. :sly:

Sometimes due to bugs, or human error. There are a lot of accidental double post.

So may 'yesses' here that it would be redundant to say 'yes' again; however, some caveats:

'Accidental' double post? Yes, report at once - but making it a habit means they have to work harder. Check and double check a reply before hitting the 'Reply' button - you may be on another page and have forgotten that the last post in the last page of the thread is yours, and was only made an hour ago. (Even if it was made days ago, it would be still okay to edit it to prevent unnecessary bumping of a thread and choking the Forum.)
Reporting it immediately takes away a post that may ruin the smooth immersion of, and continued immersion in, the discussion other posters are involved in.
Nothing ruins the good empathy of a discussion like extraneous posts or a poster constantly talking.
It is always better to edit the last post if it is yours (and there's hardly a day gone by), and the new stuff you want to say is not pressingly urgent or new, but just an addition.

Deliberate double posting, or for that matter triple or multiple posting is okay depending on the circumstances; check the AUP for Jordan's flexibility about it.
Some Thread makers may only have their own posts in a thread - e.g. a personal gallery, or a model-car or real car project, etc, though they may invite others to comment - and this of course naturally leads to one predominant voice in the thread whose posts may follow each other. Though not hour after hour after hour . . . .

Sometimes due to bugs, or human error. There are a lot of accidental double post. Usually the second one is marked as "delete." When we do this, should we report our own message so that the mods can more easily track down and delete these accidental post? I know I am probably on the podium for biggest offender. :sly:
I think marking it "delete" or "oops, double post", clarifies that it was a mistake on your part so no reporting is necessary. I've accidentally double posted many times so we might have to fight it out for the crown:crazy:

I think marking it "delete" or "oops, double post", clarifies that it was a mistake on your part so no reporting is necessary. I've accidentally double posted many times so we might have to fight it out for the crown:crazy:

Marking it that way means you're relying on us coming across it organically though, as opposed to a Report driving us to it. Personally, I don't mind seeing a self-reported double post coming up in the queue, since it's easy enough to remedy.

My view on them is roughly what @TB said: there are a few exceptions, like race series needing to double-post for certain occasions, or photomode galleries, but people doing it instead of multi-quoting? That's just lazy!

just let us delete our own double posts, problem solved
As far as I'm aware, and @Jordan can correct me, the forum software doesn't differentiate between a double post and a regular, single post. Being able to delete your own posts has been discussed in the past and isn't going to happen as it will lead to nothing but problems.

Marking it that way means you're relying on us coming across it organically though, as opposed to a Report driving us to it. Personally, I don't mind seeing a self-reported double post coming up in the queue, since it's easy enough to remedy.

My view on them is roughly what @TB said: there are a few exceptions, like race series needing to double-post for certain occasions, or photomode galleries, but people doing it instead of multi-quoting? That's just lazy!
Its not just lazy always. In my experience its an honest mistake. It goes like this.

1 read thread
2 find a post to reply too
3 continue reading for a page or so
4 reply to another post
5 realize you just double posted (optional)

Its not just lazy always. In my experience its an honest mistake. It goes like this.

1 read thread
2 find a post to reply too
3 continue reading for a page or so
4 reply to another post
5 realize you just double posted (optional)
Or you're like me and you go into it (it being replying to a more recent post after already replying to one) with the intention of editing said reply with the new quote and reply pasted, but occasionally succumbing to the habit of hitting Post Reply. It's a shame there's no "Insert Quotes..." button in the Edit interface (that I'm aware of as of writing this, I'll check again once I've posted :P).

Edit: Nope.

If you reply to Person A then Person A will receive an alert that (s)he has been replied to. If you then edit the post to reply to Person B, then Person B will not receive an alert.

Better to get into the habit of using multiquote even if it turns out you're only replying to a single post.

I'm confused then. What is it you do with an accidental double after I delete it and replace the entire post with "delete"? Do you completely remove them?

I'm confused then. What is it you do with an accidental double after I delete it and replace the entire post with "delete"? Do you completely remove them?
The entire point of the report system is because the staff can't, and never will, read every post made. We rely on every member being our eyes to keep the threads clean, be it from AUP violations to the more innocent multi-posts. Report your multi-posts, be them accidental or not, and we'll take care of them.

And nothing is ever completely deleted. The staff can still see every post, including who deleted it.

TB
As far as I'm aware, and @Jordan can correct me, the forum software doesn't differentiate between a double post and a regular, single post. Being able to delete your own posts has been discussed in the past and isn't going to happen as it will lead to nothing but problems.
I didn't expect it to be able to differensiate either. I'm not sure what sort of problems it would lead to. If someone says something really offensive and deletes it, you moderators and admins can still see it and carry out the necessary punishment, right?

In either case, maybe you can just put a short time limit on it? Let us delete posts, but only within a few minutes of making them.

TB
The entire point of the report system is because the staff can't, and never will, read every post made. We rely on every member being our eyes to keep the threads clean, be it from AUP violations to the more innocent multi-posts. Report your multi-posts, be them accidental or not, and we'll take care of them.

And nothing is ever completely deleted. The staff can still see every post, including who deleted it.
My question was, do you delete them, as in remove them from the thread? I had no idea that you did anything with them at all or that this was even an issue, or that accidental doubles should be reported, hence my question.

My question was, do you delete them, as in remove them from the thread?
If by delete you mean removed from view for the general populace, yes, they're deleted.

If you mean deleted, never to be seen by anyone again, no, they're still around.

TB
We rely on every member being our eyes to keep the threads clean, be it from AUP violations to the more innocent multi-posts
Quick question. If we come across obvious acidental double posts, either a full post or ones marked delete or similar, you'd like us to report them too? - Even though the poster maybe hasn't.

I suppose the other question is, are we getting the poster into "trouble" by doing so?

Quick question. If we come across obvious acidental double posts, either a full post or ones marked delete or similar, you'd like us to report them too? - Even though the poster maybe hasn't.

I suppose the other question is, are we getting the poster into "trouble" by doing so?
I know one person on this forum has had troubles with his technology doubling his posts sometimes, so I don't think it would be considered getting them in trouble. If the problem persists, then one of the mods would probably PM the person to understand what the problem is.

Keep in mind that if dozens of people report a double post, especially one that has been edited to just say "delete", the mods will be receiving dozens of alerts.

Obviously this question should be answered by a mod, but my policy is to report a double post wherein it's unlikely the poster knows (or cares) about the double post policy, but if it just says "delete" I assume the mods have been notified.

I have never reported any of my accidental double posts, in fear of a warning.:nervous:
I'll keep this in mind in the future now that I know it's ok.:cheers:

Keep in mind that if dozens of people report a double post, especially one that has been edited to just say "delete", the mods will be receiving dozens of alerts.
Actually we don't. Any additional reports for the same post get added to the initial report and when it's marked complete, they all go away in one shot. 👍

TB
Sometimes the simplest questions morph and linger longer than you think.

Sometimes longer than they should. :lol:
Well today, some of GTPs biggest offenders of double post have discovered a way to help you out. :)

Latest Posts

Back