Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,490 comments
I bought this book about the Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch. It’s from Taschen, a publisher I like. Good quality at reasonable prices.
IMG_0179.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been a while since I bought an old video game console, so a few weeks ago I decided to fix that.

20231030_222020.jpg

20231030_222206.jpg

After noodling on whether to buy into a Saturn for a bit, I decided to go with a Dreamcast since more of its library interests me and games are way less expensive. I also sought out a Sega Sports edition as the plastic doesn't yellow like the beige models, and I'm a sucker for the Darth Vader look.

Good selection of titles with it too. Test Drive Le Mans is one of my favs on the system!
That one just arrived from eBay so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thus far I've spent most of my play time with Sega Rally 2 and TXR and I've really enjoyed both of them. It's a bit of a shame SR2 was both rushed and built on Windows CE so it came out as a less than ideal port of the Naomi original, but there's still a solid game under the chunky frame rate. Definitely looking forward to exploring more of the Dreamcast library though.

The suede on the Fanatec GT2 type rim that I've had for nearly 10 years now has started to peel away on the left grip so I decided to take advantage of the bundle Fanatec has going with the new CSL DD Universal Hub + Rim for $199. The QR1 release was $49 extra. I didn't have much trouble putting it together which is unusual for me. It's a 300mm rim where my old one is a 330mm. I really like the smaller size. At first I thought the rim itself could stand to be thicker but I held it against my old one and there is virtually no difference. I've just got to get used to it.

One thing I really don't like which has been brought out in the reviews for it is those button caps. I guess if your playing a game where you can program those exact functions it's ok but for everything else it's confusing. "Let's see...is pause the eye button or the wiper button, I can't remember".

20231031_222653.jpg

The hub expands or contracts depending on the size of your rim. Loosen the three screws on the bracket and the four lower nuts then slide it apart or push it together. I think I've got it where I like it.

20231031_222748.jpg

The hub expands or contracts depending on the size of your rim. Loosen the three screws on the bracket and the four lower nuts then slide it apart or push it together.

As I rather like the Burns 6 string bass I bought last month, I decided to get a Burns Marquee long scale 4 string. Only downside is that it is rather large being a few inches longer than a Fender Precision which proved tricky for a gig bag. I bought one with the guitar figuring if it wasn’t suitable I could put my Warwick 8 string bass into it as it was in a very large gig bag. That was the case!!!!
IMG_9431.jpeg

I uh, I think I have Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).

20231102_160356.jpg

From left to right:
Helios 44M-6
Helios 44M-4
Helios 44-2 Petzval modified
Helios 44-2

The two 44-2 lenses I already had but I just wanted to put them in a lineup.

And then I bought this monster last night:
Screenshot_20231102-160653_Chrome.jpg

As well as this:
20231102_160752.jpg

How it works:

Last edited:
It's been a while since I bought an old video game console, so a few weeks ago I decided to fix that.

View attachment 1299249
View attachment 1299248

After noodling on whether to buy into a Saturn for a bit, I decided to go with a Dreamcast since more of its library interests me and games are way less expensive. I also sought out a Sega Sports edition as the plastic doesn't yellow like the beige models, and I'm a sucker for the Darth Vader look.
How do your hands feel after using that monstrositat of a controller?

How do your hands feel after using that monstrositat of a controller?
Fine actually. Having used the controller for a good bit I don't get the hate for it. Sure, it could've used a second stick and the materials on the analog stick/triggers could've been a little nicer, but it's far from bad IMO.

Wow... now I'm feeling a bit itchy to dust off my Canon Eos.

I popped a 123 cell in my EOS Rebel which still has the same roll of film from 2004. Still trying to decide what to use those last 10 photos on without making my kids potentially look like zombies. I've also heard the shutters tend to fail on the cheaper-end EOS models but still make same noises to fool you that the shutter opened properly. But don't let me stop you.

I picked up an FD-to-RF converter a few months ago (twenty bucks!) and enjoy manual focus from time to time. I have to think about my distances, though.

7CFFAEE9-F865-49F3-9530-72813CF2C16C.jpeg

C11C9269-BAC3-4980-A98D-459981165142.jpeg

Colors and contrast is a little muted and a little more biased towards green tones, but so what? Pretty sharp and you can get them for $20 at f/1.8 (besides being a little fragile because they're 40+ years old). Bokeh won't win awards wide-open but nice at the f/3.2-4.0 range.

I'm craving an FD 85mm f/1.2 but really not sure about parting with $800-900 when a new f/2 in the RF mount is likely just as good at around half the price with advances in modern glass. I tend to beat up lenses with so much travel so I'd rather go mid-priced than irreplaceable.

Last edited:
Cross-posted from the “What Music Did You Buy” thread. Today is the first Friday of the month, meaning it’s Bandcamp Friday when 100% of sales go directly to the artists. So I bought nine items. I bought them because I love the music, and nine because that fits nicely into my photo collage app. The Chillhop Beat Tapes are great EPs for when you want to unwind. I love the album designs. The covers are square but look like cassette cards pulled out of the case and laid out flat. senseless optimism is a Massachusetts folk artist I’ve been following for a couple years now. This double-sided single about a dissolving relationship is her best work yet. Magnolia Park is an artist I discovered recently. Hard hitting punk pop with deep hooks. I got a single, EP, and LP. There’s a lot more to their catalog, so I’ll be buying more.

chillhop beat tapes: Leavv [Side A] by Leavv
chillhop beat tapes: Philanthrope [Side B] by Philanthrope
chillhop beat tapes: Kreatev [Side A] by Kreatev
chillhop beat tapes: The Doppelgangaz [Side B] by The Doppelgangaz
chillhop beat tapes: Bao x Venuz Beats by Bao, Venuz Beats
IT'S YOU by senseless optimism
Vacant by Magnolia Park
Outside by Magnolia Park
Baku's Revenge (Deluxe Edition) by Magnolia Park

IMG_1648.jpeg

Fine actually. Having used the controller for a good bit I don't get the hate for it. Sure, it could've used a second stick and the materials on the analog stick/triggers could've been a little nicer, but it's far from bad IMO.

Looks unwieldy to hold.

There was a local literary festival two days ago in Cebu. Bought two packs of Weiß Schwarz (Quintessential Quintuplets and Lycoris Recoil - funnily enough on the day of GT7's update with the LFA) and a fanart of Destiny from Takt Op. Destiny.

16991036867932168866679622615066.jpg

Planning to head for a larger one (ARCHcon on the 18th) and look for other stuff to collect.

Last edited:
Back