Side numbers...

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 7 comments

jrbabbitt

Premium
United States
Charleston, SC
TCR_JimyBee
Cam someone please explain the significance and how the side numbers of the cars in daily races and lobbies work? I do not see the logic of how I am usually assigned the same number add starting position and in same race I see a car behind me with a 1 or 2 as their side number.

I've read and reread the post and it makes no sense to me, I'll just continue racing and not pay any mind to the door number.
Thank you for pointing the way to explanation
It's very simple really, in Japan it's customary for the last name to come before the given name... so it's......... just messing with you. It makes no sense. :lol:

I've read and reread the post and it makes no sense to me, I'll just continue racing and not pay any mind to the door number.
Thank you for pointing the way to explanation
Best way to treat it.
It is supposed to be the game's way of ranking people in a lobby but it calculates it in a strange way that means it is inaccurate most of the time.
Just think of it as being given a random number from the race organisers and don't put much stock into it.

I've read and reread the post and it makes no sense to me
It's reverse alphabetical sorting, like a dictionary that starts with Zs and ends with As. That means that it starts with the 9s, then goes to the 8s, then goes to the 7s and so on all the way down to the 1s.

In a dictionary "a" comes before "aardvark", because there's nothing left after the "a" in "a" to sort, but "aardvark" has more characters after the "a". For reverse sorting, "aardvark" would come before "a". In GT Sport 99,999 (and all numbers starting 99,xxx) would come before 9,999, which would be before 999, which would be before 99, and the last possible number in the 9s is 9 itself. Then it does the 8s, starting with 89,999. And so on.

Basically imagine reading a dictionary backwards. That's how the door numbers work.

If there's two cars in the lobby with a DR of 9 (D) and 100,000 (A+), the guy with 9 will have door number 1, because 9 starts with 9 and 100,000 starts with 1, and the 9s are sorted before the 1s.

If there's two cars in the lobby with a DR of 9 (D) and 99 (D), the guy with 99 will have door number 1, because 99 has another 9 and that's sorted before anything else. This would also be the case with 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, 93, 92, 91, and 90, all of which would be sorted ahead of 9.

Last edited:
Back