Door Number

• Thread starter Robben
  • 94 comments
Ah, ok makes sense now. So is it a fair assessment that qualifying and finishing position are not as important as who you finish ahead of?

If everybody in the race has equal DR, you'll gain 80 points from everyone you beat, and lose 80 to everyone who beats you. (Note that in this hypothetical case, the door numbers will be random!).

Here's a race with quite a mixed field...

190-3.png

gonzaman13 probably would've lost points if he'd finished one place lower, even though still finishing in the top half.
FiaRua and lepoil_73 lost quite a few points, even though finishing in ranked (door number) positions.
philbilly1886 gained points by beating some higher rated players, even though only finishing 10th.
Four players gained more from this race than the winner!

As a very rough guide... If your rank is in the top half, you'll need to finish above it (or win) to gain a decent load of points. If ranked in the bottom half, you most likely need to get into the top half.

(But you can't count on the door number to show you the correct rank if you have DR Cs or Ds in the race).

Last night I was in a race with 10 x B and 2 x A but got door number 12. Surely the alphabetised numbering should mean I would have door number 10 if I were the lowest ranked B driver? Unless this was corrected in the update...

If you were the lowest rated DR B in the race, then your door number was correct. Add a Dr C driver to this field and strange things happen...

If you were the lowest rated DR B in the race, then your door number was correct. Add a Dr C driver to this field and strange things happen...
Really? I thought that it should categorize the B's first, going by the logic posted previously?

I was paying attention to this in the FIA races, because it's such a massive debate.

I had thought (for a little while) it was a ranking number, but it isn't.

I entered the FIA race.

Door number 8
Player rank 6
Started 10th
Finished 6

It's all coincidence. the number is simply your player number in the array of players. When the first person enters the room, they get number 1, second player enters they get number 2, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Mmm. In a daily yesterday I wad grouped with 4 DR B and the rest were C. I had number 2. Myself being a DR C. So I think the number are random.

Mmm. In a daily yesterday I wad grouped with 4 DR B and the rest were C. I had number 2. Myself being a DR C. So I think the number are random.
*sigh* Not this again.

DR B ranking is 10000 - 29999pt
DR C ranking is 4000 - 9999pt

If you ask a spreadsheet to sort those by rank, it'll put the bigger numbers first. If you ask a Windows PC to sort those alphabetically, it'll put the numbers in rank in 1s then 2s, then 3s, then 4s and so on. GT Sport seems to mix the two by putting the bigger numbers first... but alphabetically. So the numbers are sorted in rank in 9s then 8s then 7s and so on.

If your 12 drivers were
B - 29999
B - 25000
B - 20000
B - 15000
C - 9999
C - 9199
C - 8399
C - 7599
C - 6799
C - 5999
C - 5199
C - 4399

The game would probably rank them:
1 - C/9999
2 - C/9199
3 - C/8399
4 - C/7599
5 - C/6799
6 - C/5999
7 - C/5199
8 - C/4399
9 - B/29999
10 - B/25000
11 - B/20000
12 - B/15000

*sigh* Not this again.

DR B ranking is 10000 - 29999pt
DR C ranking is 4000 - 9999pt

If you ask a spreadsheet to sort those by rank, it'll put the bigger numbers first. If you ask a Windows PC to sort those alphabetically, it'll put the numbers in rank in 1s then 2s, then 3s, then 4s and so on. GT Sport seems to mix the two by putting the bigger numbers first... but alphabetically. So the numbers are sorted in rank in 9s then 8s then 7s and so on.

If your 12 drivers were
B - 29999
B - 25000
B - 20000
B - 15000
C - 9999
C - 9199
C - 8399
C - 7599
C - 6799
C - 5999
C - 5199
C - 4399

The game would probably rank them:
1 - C/9999
2 - C/9199
3 - C/8399
4 - C/7599
5 - C/6799
6 - C/5999
7 - C/5199
8 - C/4399
9 - B/29999
10 - B/25000
11 - B/20000
12 - B/15000
Sorry Famine I hadn't seen this explanation of the sorting. Was under the impression that B Drivers would have the lower numbers. Thx for this breakdown

Sorry Famine I hadn't seen this explanation of the sorting. Was under the impression that B Drivers would have the lower numbers. Thx for this breakdown
To be fair, it may not even be as simple as I put it there. Above 10,000pt, it all seems fine, but once you get under 10,000pt it behaves very strangely.

It may be due to the fact that the points boundaries for DR ratings aren't actually fixed, but depend on your SR, to an extent. The game prevents you moving up in DR rating unless your SR rating is at least equal to the new DR rating. Indeed you can have many more points than is required to move up if your SR is very low. I currently have 20,804pt, which should put me well into B (the game tells me it's 280% of the required points :lol:), but because my SR is D, my DR is C... I've previously held DR D with 10,489pt (enough for DR B) due to having a low D SR rating.

This is more likely to happen at DR C and below, because of low SR ratings. That may be why DR B-E lobbies have very odd door number assignments.

Whether it's superstition or not, I have not finished below my door number in the past week or so and have gained 2400 pts. I've noticed in the past 2 or 3 days that I've being assigned very high door numbers and am finishing mid-pack, so the theory does seem to hold up.

To be fair, it may not even be as simple as I put it there. Above 10,000pt, it all seems fine, but once you get under 10,000pt it behaves very strangely.

It may be due to the fact that the points boundaries for DR ratings aren't actually fixed, but depend on your SR, to an extent. The game prevents you moving up in DR rating unless your SR rating is at least equal to the new DR rating. Indeed you can have many more points than is required to move up if your SR is very low. I currently have 20,804pt, which should put me well into B (the game tells me it's 280% of the required points :lol:), but because my SR is D, my DR is C... I've previously held DR D with 10,489pt (enough for DR B) due to having a low D SR rating.

This is more likely to happen at DR C and below, because of low SR ratings. That may be why DR B-E lobbies have very odd door number assignments.

With your DR C at 280%, is it mostly matching you with other DR C? If so, have you had a race with all DR C where you didn't get door number 1?

Whether it's superstition or not, I have not finished below my door number in the past week or so and have gained 2400 pts. I've noticed in the past 2 or 3 days that I've being assigned very high door numbers and am finishing mid-pack, so the theory does seem to hold up.

Door number certainly isn't used in the scoring, although both door number and scoring are based on DR points. So what you have is a rule of thumb, not a theory :)

@Famine 's rule of thumb saying "finish top half is a gain, bottom half is a loss", is much more accurate in most cases (e.g. when the field is at least somewhat closely matched). It takes quite a mismatched field to make it significantly innacurate, and then only for some of the highest and lowest rated in such a race.

My door number was 12 and got a win, gained 1200+ DR points. So did the door number play a role?

16 car race... am I right?

Not door number, but everybody's DR points did. In a fairly evenly matched field you'll gain about 80 points off every other competitor when you win, so that 1200 is about 15 others.

You can check?

I take screenshots of all my races, to capture the start and finish positions etc.

With your DR C at 280%, is it mostly matching you with other DR C? If so, have you had a race with all DR C where you didn't get door number 1?

Door number certainly isn't used in the scoring, although both door number and scoring are based on DR points. So what you have is a rule of thumb, not a theory :)

@Famine 's rule of thumb saying "finish top half is a gain, bottom half is a loss", is much more accurate in most cases (e.g. when the field is at least somewhat closely matched). It takes quite a mismatched field to make it significantly innacurate, and then only for some of the highest and lowest rated in such a race.

16 car race... am I right?

Not door number, but everybody's DR points did. In a fairly evenly matched field you'll gain about 80 points off every other competitor when you win, so that 1200 is about 15 others.

I take screenshots of all my races, to capture the start and finish positions etc.

Cheers @Outspacer. I read your comments and research on the K' thread about DR rating too... wow!

So, it is generally top half +DR points and bottom half -DR points?

I really wish there was an area for race history in-game, surely it wouldn't be that difficult?

Cheers @Outspacer. I read your comments and research on the K' thread about DR rating too... wow!

So, it is generally top half +DR points and bottom half -DR points?

It's likely to be 95% right, for 95% of drivers, 95% of the time... or something like that :) Couple of examples of when/where it won't...

I'm at about 47k DR A, and late night get matched with very few others at that level, with the rest of the field often being DR B, sometimes even down to DR D. In such a race I have to finish in the top few to gain DR, and even winning might only get me 250 or so points. Then say there's a fast DR B that beats me - anything lower than 2nd might be a loss!

Famine, with his DR points and DR letter so far out of alignment, I'm guessing has to finish very high to gain points.

Both examples have the same underlying cause - a big difference in DR points between competitors. But for most drivers that doesn't happen much - for all those DR B in my late night races, the top/bottom half rule of thumb works.

Theoretically the same applies in reverse for drivers whose rating is far lower than most of the field, but, since there are many more low rated drivers than high, that hardly ever happens.

I really wish there was an area for race history in-game, surely it wouldn't be that difficult?

It would be nice!

@Outspacer @Milouse

Do you know if the door number calculation has been updated after the recent update? Either this or it is now randomised? On Saturday I was in a grid with DR/S, DR/B and DR/D and the guy in pole (S) was door number 1.

I can tell you with 100% certainty in Top 24 Races that car numbers are DR order, haven't paid as much attention in other races but I'm pretty sure it does use some sort of system based on DR.

@Outspacer @Milouse

Do you know if the door number calculation has been updated after the recent update? Either this or it is now randomised? On Saturday I was in a grid with DR/S, DR/B and DR/D and the guy in pole (S) was door number 1.
That would work as DR D is under 4000 and DR S is over 50 000.

I can tell you with 100% certainty in Top 24 Races that car numbers are DR order, haven't paid as much attention in other races but I'm pretty sure it does use some sort of system based on DR.

Yeah, as above, it is supposed to be in DR order however in races with D or C rated drivers (i.e less than 10000 DR points) the system was calculating a C driver (with 9000 points) higher than an S driver (with 75000 points) as it was being sorted alphabetically (9 is bigger than 7) as opposed to in size of number.

Doh. OK, fair point... so really it could only be C confusing a situation with S and D would be confusing any situation with A or B

double comment

That's not necessarily true. I had a DR/D rating with a points score of 9,545, because my SR rating was also D and the game wouldn't let me advance without raising it.

There are situations, like that, where the points boundaries don't apply. It's not as unusual as you may think either.

By and large, there's enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that the game ranks drivers by DR points like Windows ranks numbered files - 10 is higher than 1, but lower than 2 - and assigns door numbers accordingly. But without knowing the points score and door number of every driver in the lobby, we can't know for sure.

Back