Sideways. *NEW PART NOW UP!*

• Thread starter Fluke
  • 34 comments
n/a
n/a
Heres a story ive been working on for a while, it focuses on a rookie drifter, taught by one of the best (his brother) who must prove himself and step out of his brothers shadow.

I know its a little long, future chapters will be shorter, but i am a writer, so writing alot is how i get it done ;) But ususally im all about comedy/sitcom scripts, so this is a nice change of pace for me. Anyways, heres the story.

Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 1: The first race.

I open my eyes, i see nothing but darkness, wrapped around me, as my eyes adjust to the surroundings i quickly realise im in my room, i look at the clock on my bedside table, the time reads 5:30 a.m, im in a cold sweat, my heart pounding, my fists clench tightly, hoping to grasp the invisible steering wheel in front of me, for only a few hours ago i had an enlightenment, the underground art of street racing only whispered about in the smallest, darkest corners of the auto-modifying world. Its name? Drifting.

Lets rewind a few hours, im sitting in my older brothers S13, painted bright orange with the traditional dress up of colourful liveries and wide arches, the typical open mouthed, vented bodykit, thats commonly found on modern day drifters, i look at my watch, the time reads 10:27 p.m.

"Just dont be a cocky little bitch" my brother says, i dont dispute him, as he's taking me to my first ever drift meet, where the sideways rebels from the track show off their sublime car control to crowds of eager, hollering spectators, and tonight, i will be joining them.

"And remember everything i've taught you, hopefully you wont wreck my car, and dont worry, im not throwing you in with the proper racers just yet, i know how good you are, but they dont, youre starting off against some guy, hes pretty new, he drives an rx8, it looks almost completely stock, but dont be decieved, hes got his ride sorted, and he knows how to handle it too."

My brother was doing me a massive favour, not only am i finally getting to race, but in his legendary S13 aswell, the very car that he used to beat kajiro nakamyura, the most experienced racer there.

Since then my brother has stopped racing, he settled down, but never sold the car, and after training me for over a year, i could finally get a chance to battle with another drifter, and finally show him my full potential, my palms are already sweating. The smell of burning rubber already in my lungs, i could feel the G-forces spinning me sideways, flicking the rear end of the car around the tightest corners, but it was all in my head, we werent even there yet and already i was imagining the race, and i knew it would be different, these arent the back roads near my house, and theyre not the car parks near the local shopping outlet. This was real, properly tight roads, only my control and 3 inches of reinforced steel keeping me from sailing over the 100ft incline, and that metal wont hold a rampaging S13.

As we near the meet-up's location, i start to see the lights, even though i can only see flashes of headlights, i already identify a troup of cars, everything from RX7's to R32's. And already i can hear the mettalic rasps of straight six's, the woosh from dump valves, the screaching of tires, being tortured and ripped apart on the mountains tarmac. My head starts to pound, my heart beating so fast i thought it might burst out of my chest, my muscles tighten up, my stomach starts to turn itself upside down. I was finally here, after a year of training......learning.......waiting......

We pull up next to a group of other cars, already the more experianced racers identify my brother, and the legendary S13, of course. We get out of the car, shut the doors behind us and make our way across to a guy ive never seen before, wearing a sports jacket and jeans, hes also holding a clipboard, he turns around and immediately smiles at my brother, flinging his arms open to embrace him in a hug, both of them start talking to each other, as my brother talks, his friend glances towards me, we lock eyes for a second, but i get distracted by an unfamiliar howl, i look behind me, im blinded by the light, all i see is a shining light, and red paint

The unmistakable bodyline of an RX8 makes itself welcome in the spot next to my brothers car, i already know who it was, my first opponent, as he steps out of the car, after turning the engine off, he walks straight past me, almost brushing my shoulder, at 17 i dont exactly look like ive been doing this long, however this guy looked a lot older than me, we exchange looks for half a second, then i turn my attention back to his car, my brother was right, it looks completely stock, apart from a small hole in the front bumper, which i imagine was an intake pipe, possibly connected to a turbo? Or just an air filter.

After a little while the guy with the clipboard walks over to me, he introduces himself as jamie, and then explains how the racing works.

"Right, so when you race,you have the option of making a bet, if you have the confidence, after you and your opponent agree's on a cash bet, you roll up to the start line, i'll be there holding a flag, i will raise the flag and when i drop the flag, just let her rip my friend!"

He puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Your brother tells me youve been waiting quite some time for this, and if he trained you, then you must be good."

My brother joins jamie and me.

"Alright there little brother" He says with a wink, "me and Aaron have settled on a price, £200"

Im surprised at how much was being bet on this, Jason noticed my surprise at the amount of money involved.

"Dont worry kiddo, this is normal, £200 is a normal starting bet, shall we line up?"

I give a nod, as my opponent Aaron makes his way back to his car, he gives me another look as we enter our cars, and slam the doors shut, as i get comfortable in the drivers seat, the full extent of the danger, and money, involved starts to sink in, but i cant worry about that now, i have a race to win.
Jamie comes up to my window.

"Now remember kid, getting to the bottom first is a good idea, but really its the drifts that win the race, you'll be given points on the angle, and speed, of the drifts, aswell as how long they last, its not easy, and youre being judged by a group of the very best drifters, they've all done this before, but the important thing is to remember everything your brother has taught you, and keep your cool, control is everything. And Aaron is pretty good, but from what your brother says he should be mincemeat for you matey!"

Jamie dissapears off, in my rear view mirror i see my brother looking at his car, probably worrying as to how much im going to wreck it, we both pull up to the start line, and i look over one list time at my opponent Aaron, his eyes are trained on the road ahead, i wind up the drivers side window, and close the sunroof, i give a few blips of the throttle, and engage 1st gear, keeping my foot firmly planted on the clutch, and my other foot resting on the throttle ready for a full speed start.

I go over the hundreds of lessons my brother has taught me, and work out my line, as i can vaguely see parts of the road ahead, as far as i can see it directly follows the line of the cliff below, i close my eyes for a few seconds, and take a deep breath.

Jamie appears inbetween our two cars with a traditional black and white chequered racing flag, he gives me a nod, i nod back, signalling that im ready to go, he nods towards Aaron, who simply gives a rev from his car. Jamie raises the flag, my right foot pushing on the throttle settling the revs up to about 5500 rpm, my left foot ready to release the clutch, my hands grip the steering wheel. My heart pounding louder than anything, apart from the cars of course. Beads of sweat ready to run down my forehead, my feet twitching ready for action, i stare towards the flag, poised mid-air. Jamie drops the flag, i let go of the clutch and punch my right foot into the bulkhead. The revs rise, the wheels spin, and the gathering crowds are blinded by the dust, dirt and tyre smoke.

The race is on.

Last edited:
That was a pretty good story, I really liked it, can't wait for the future chapters. Oh, and I think the length was fine.

Length is perfect. Visualizations are perfect. I can't wait for the next one.

One tiny thing. If you were to take out the swearing[only saw it once]{but it could do without it actually}, and run it through a spellchecker. It'd be fine. Just some tiny errors.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one. (thats a good thing)

yeah im not the strongest speller when im writing, i get really caught up in it and write quickly so i forget to check it over ! ;)

chapter 2 later today. Probably....:scared:

*edit*

SORRY! I realise i just double posted, my apologies. :scared: dont kill me!

Chapter 2: the race

We scream off of the line, bouncing off the rev-limiter, i regulate the throttle, and let the tyre squeal die down, I grab for the gearstick, changing out of first, i think i may have the advantage approaching the first corner, i dont know, i cant see his car at all, i glance in my rear view mirror as the storm in my stomach fades, he's behind me, not by a long way but he's definitely behind me. Despite having a drift suspension set-up, my brother had managed a 12 second run at the local drag strip a while back, so i knew it was good off the line.

I spot the first corner up ahead, its a right hander, its not tight, so i head out to the far left, hoping to feint left and whip it right, let the momentum of the car swing me round the corner, nose just tipping the apex, but i mis-judged, as i slung the cars nose left, hoping to snap it back and break grip, i hit a small bump in the road, the car suddenly found some grip, went straight onwards, and hurled straight into the steel barrier, in shock i didnt notice the rx8 pass right by me, or the fact that i had just torn off the front bumper of my brothers life's work.

I hammered the car in a half circle, wheelspinning out of the corner, cursing at my bad luck, Aaron wasnt that far ahead, but i was going to have to work hard, i watch him enter the corner ahead of me, feinting right and snapping the car left, the RX8 went into ballet-mode, sliding perfectly through the corner, the nose just touching the apex of the corner, a perfect drift, im sure the 'judges' saw it too, and would be highy impressed

I entered the corner, only 4-5 seconds behind him, i braked slightly, shifting the weight of the car to the front, turning in, and slamming on the power, the back end stepped out, i started to countersteer as the invisible forces swung the back end of the car round, nose pointing at the steel barrier before me i straightenend the car out, a great little slide, finally i was starting to get the hang of things again.

I gradually but definitely started catching Aaron, but i remembered what Jamie had told me, and so i was concentrating more on a good entrance speed, and getting a great angle on the drift, i knew the judges saw my earlier mis-hap, and would probably downgrade me for it, but i was determined, about 3/4 of the race had been completed now, and i found myself sitting right on his rear bumper, pressuring him into making a mistake, and it worked, as we entered the penultimate corner he mistimed his feint, it was too late for him, the back end couldnt step out in time and he understeered straight into the barrier on his left, i worked my way past him and took the last two corners perfectly, even managing to link the both of them thanks to a pretty ambitious power over drift, as i crossed the line, i looked behind me at Aaron finishing, with no front bumper, and steam pouring out of his radiator.

As i got out the car to flaunt my victory to the large crowd, cheering my win, i noticed my brother as he stopped in his tracks, oh no! The damage, i walked over to him sheepishly, but he wasnt angry.

"What the hell happened!"

Okay, maybe he was a bit angry.

"It was a mistake i swear, ill get it fixed i promise, i hit a bump and had no time to react"

Jamie came to my aid.

"Dont worry" he said, patting my brother on the shoulder "It happens, ill fix this back at my garage, free of charge, plus, your little prodige' has just won his first race"

This put the smile back on my brothers face.

"Yeah, you did win, nice one, i knew you could do it, especially with this car."

I was happy that he was pleased, i had showed him that all the effort i put in had really paid off. I knew Aaron wasnt pleased, a missing front bumper and £200 in losses wasnt going to brighten his day, but hey, in a race, someone wins, and every body else loses. Simple as. Jamie was inspecting my brothers car, he walked back over to us with some bad news.

"Okay lads, its worse than we thought, youve managed to put a hole in the intercooler, and somehow, a piece of the front bumper has gone straight into the intake pipe, rendering both items usuless, but dont worry, i'll get this fixed, but we'll have to wait a week or two for the parts to arrive, im all out right now."

This was bad news for me especially.

"Wait a second, how the hell am i going to race on friday? Its only two days away and we dont have another car!"

I was angry, now that i had won a race i was part of the group, and the group met up on wednesday and fridays, aswell as saturdays, i didnt want to miss all of that.

"Well im sorry mate, this car will not be race-able until i can get a new intercooler on there. And it will take a while."

Jamie was right though, you cannot race a broken car, its part fo the rules. My brother had stayed silent through all of this, but piped up all of a sudden.

"well, accidents happen dont they" he said "looks like we need to find you a new car, i have a few hundred or so tucked away, and a couple of hundred from tonights race, and you have about £250 aswell, all in all thats about £700"

"We cant get a drift car for £700!" i said, desperate for a lifeline.

"Actually you probably can, but you wont be able to race for a while, i can get you some free parts" Jamie explained "but on your budget youre gonna have to look at some serious d.i.y modding"

So there we are, only one night of racing, i was £200 up, but an entire drift-spec S13 down. Looks like me and the brother will have to go shopping for something cheap, but slide-able.

This parts a little shorter, but the next part will be epic. Enjoy.

Chapter 3: Underdog.

"well this is pointless" I exclaimed.

I had a right to be quite angry aswell, after looking around all day all we found was a burnt out silvia, an R32 gts-t with no engine, or gearbox, and an evo, which, in the owners words, was 'likely to die at any moment'. So we were pretty much out of options, me and my brother had looked down any alleyway, every car lot, rang all of the racers, just looking for something cheap and RWD.

"One place left, they must have something." My brother pointed out, but the odds were unlikely, the place in question is mani's, the breakers yard that the hardcore drifters use to collect body parts to replace their own damaged asthetics.

As we entered the yard, we were greeted by mani, the guy who owns the place, hence the name, mani's.

"Listen guys, i dont have much in the way of working cars, but i have a few. Follow me."

He lead us into the far corner of the yard, where a few beaten and obviously abused ex drift cars were.

"I know they dont look like much, but theyre in all working order, just a dent here and there"

'A dent here and there' was an understatement, they were wrecks, completely and utterly hopeless.

"Just a dent?" my brother pointed out "look at them, id be surprised if they would start let alone drift."

As mani tried to convince my rather angry brother that the cars were perfectly kosher, i had long stopped listening, purely because my eye had caught something, right in the far corner, battered and bruised bodypanels, oil dripping from the underside, 1 headlight still intact, no bonnet, and faded paintwork, but that wasnt what i was interested in, i was however interested in the engine on display, shining in the sunlight, as if god himself had created it. Was a black and white, battered and bruised oldschool corrola, the ones the drifters used to hurl themselves round hairpins at breakneck speed, but what was it doing here?

"Whats wrong with this one?" I shouted towards mani.

"That heap of grease and dust? Oldschool corrola, used to be a drifter, but the owner got rid of it, upgraded to an evo or something, i guess he saw sense." he said sarcastically.

My brother came over and joined me.

"thats not a toyota engine, what is this thing?"

I was as stumped as he was, it looked like a corrola, but the engine clearly had the word 'nissan' printed on it. my brother cleared some dead leaves from the surface.

"Its from a gts-t" my brother said, after a quick look over the engine "2.0 litre, twin cam inline 6. Turbocharged too"

"Yes, it started out as a corrola" Mani explained "but the previous owner wasnt happy, dont know why, but he ripped the engine out and got halfway through putting an RB20DET in it, before he got tired with the cars refusal to work, and just gave up, bought an evo, like i said, he gave me this car for nothing, said he never wanted to see it again. To be honest its a bit of an strange one, despite my best efforts, it never really seemed to run right, always wants to go wherever you dont want it to. Its a complete oddball. Just doesnt fit anywhere."

I gave the car a proper look, like mani said 'doesnt fit anywhere', i knew it would look a right sight next to the usual buffed and polished mazda's, 500bhp supras and silvia's, then this, the oddball corrola, barely working, an outlaw to the usual perfectly maticously built engineered machines, constantly checked, constantly tweaked for a little more control. I knew straight away this was the car for me.

"I'll take it." I said.

Mani looked at me with complete surprise.

"ermmm, okay? How about a grand?"

My brother chimed in.

"£1000? For a car thats not running properly, looks like it was rescued from a nuclear bomb?"

"Okay fine, £500 and you take it with you."

Mani wasnt much of a haggler.....

"Done, cheers mani" My brother said. I guess he saw the same as i did in the car.

We handed him the cash and got inside, mani was right, the previous owner was a real drift nut, no interior, only half the dashboard and not even a passenger seat,my brother had to sit on the floor. Mani handed me the keys, and i started her up.

The car purred to life, sounded like a beast, i gave it a few revs as smoke billowed from the exhaust, apparently this car had been sitting for over a year, im not surprised it was a little 'edgy'. I put it into first and straight away i noticed the sequential shifter, and how heavy the clutch was, i guess its a triple plate clutch, and probably a racing flywheel too. This guy knew what he was on about.

I pulled away slowly, and we left Mani's place, we drove it straight over to Jamie's garage, too worried about the cars state to give it too much throttle.

As we pulled into the garage, Jamie greeted us with a smile, but his face sank as he saw the state that the car was in, we parked up and got out.

"well congrats, you seem to have bought a levin gt-apex" he looked the car up and down "and one that seems to have been rolled down a cliff" he added.

"never mind that" i said, "its got a skyline engine in it, and we have about £200 to spend, lets get cracking!"

My brother walked over to his own car, in the corner of the workshop.

"oh yeah" jamie said, joining him, "i can get that intercooler in a few days, and the other parts that are needed, cancelled order from some guy, i took it"

"nice one" my brother replied, "take your time though, i dont think we'll be needing it any time soon."

"what do you mean? Look at that corrola" jamie pointed at the car, "its almost dead, you wont get that round a corner, unless you want to lose your wheels"

My brother looked at Jamie. "Have faith my friend, remember this, my pride and joy, exactly how did we get this car in the first place?"

"we found it in a ditch" Jamie replied.

"EXACTLY!" my brother said, excitedly, "and it went on to win every drift competition around here, didnt it.?"

Jamie turned to the car, obviously he wasnt that convinced, but i could see past the battered and bruised exterior, this car will drift. It will.

Just to let you guys know.

The next part of the story is quite large, and may take a little while to complete. I have other things on the go at the same time, so its hard to adjust from one story like my novel, to this, which is a completely new area of writing to me. So bear tight, and im only double posting because my last post was edited and THEN i added the story, so it didnt go to the top, so nobody knew i had added that part of the story.

Bleh.

;)

Nice replacement car. I wouldn't worry about double posting for your race report, Should be acceptable, after all, it is a story. It needs to be broken up into parts, and posts seem to work great for that. Also you can always edit the first post to change the thread title so people know.
Sideways: Chapter [Insert number here] Up.

I was as stumped as he was, it looked like a corrola, but the engine clearly had the word 'nissan' printed on it. my brother cleared some dead leaves from the surface.

"Its from a gts-t" my brother said, after a quick look over the engine "2.0 litre, twin cam inline 6. Turbocharged too"

Wasn't there a GTS-T missing the engine and transmission? :D

We know where it went.

I like how this is going, keep it up. Although the Corolla seems a little cliche for this type of 'drift' story. But I don't know what's coming up, can't wait for the next one.

Wasn't there a GTS-T missing the engine and transmission? :D

We know where it went.

Wahey! I knew somebody would have spotted it ;)

---

And yeah corrola is a bit common for a drifting story, i originally was going to say an oldskool supra, like an '89 or something, but i wanted something battered and beaten, and something that didnt fit in with the others cars in the story.

Next part up sooooon. hopefully. :scared:

Chapter 4: Settings.

"SON OF A B:censored:T!" I shouted.

Tyre smoke filled air, as the car spun round, again. The sound of tortured tyres broke the sunday morning peace. We had failed to get the car working in time, so we chose to aim towards completion by wednesday, the biggest meet of the month, the citys top drifters meet on this day, and scouts choose which drifters they will offer a sponsorship too.

"Youre giving it too much throttle" my brother shouted, from behind the saftey of the barrier. "Youre not in the S13 anymore, new car, new tricks."

I knew he was right, i had learned to drift in a top spec 240sx, and now i was paying the price. My brother walked over to me.

"Listen, when you enter the corner, remember the dimensions of the car, its not rear heavy like the S13, you need a higher angle, and lay off the throttle, if you gave it any more the valves would start dancing on the bonnet!"

I took his advice and headed back to the top of the mountain. I turned the car around and lined up, ready for the 11th run today. My brithers voice came over the radio that we used to keep in contact.

"Remember what ive told you. High angle, lay off the throttle, if you lose speed, check the revs are low enough and downshift."

"Sure." i replied. Rather nervously.

As i started my descent down the sloped straight, leading to a minefield of hairpins, sloped straights and banked corners, i readied myself for the onslaught of G forces. I entered the first corner, brake, turn, and whip it back, causing the car to lose traction, i had found out the hard way earlier on that the handbrake wasnt the best option, the 'hard way' that had ripped off my front wing.

The car slew sideways, i let the momentum carry me round the corner, calmy, and smoothly. This section wasnt a problem, it was corner - straight - corner - straight, and so on....but it was the final section that was catching me out, when its hairpin after hairpin, then high speed banked corners, then straight into another hairpin.

I straightened the car out and took the next few sections with ease, keeping my foot hovering over the brake if i found myself understeering towards the edge of the cliff.

As i approached the final (and so far, very unlucky) section of the course, i reminded myself of my brothers advice, i entered the next corner with a high angle, about 55 mph, i wasnt exactly bolting along, but atleast i was sideways, and not upside down, which had almost happenned on more than a few occasions.

I approached the penultimate corner, the one that always caught me out, i remembered the layout, as it was a blind corner, which meant you had to start drifting before you couldnt actually see the corner behind the massive cliff-face. I started to let the back end step out, the corner appeared from behind the cliff face, i spun the car round in the opposite direction, to face the corners apex, as i started to countersteer, i encounterd the un-even surface that had jeapordised my previosu attempts.

I kept the car in control, not too confident on the throttle, the car started to straighten out as i neared the exit, i looked at the revs, 5500 rpm, good enough, i thought, as i downchanged gears mid-drift and gave the big pedal a boot, flicking the car more sideways than i had hoped, i started to countersteer, and let slightly off the throttle, the car pointed inwards, then straightened itself out. I headed out of the corner, and entered the next corner pretty well, crossing the line, and causing an unusual smile to creep across my brothers face. I got out of the car.

"Well?" I asked "impressed or what!"

"magnificent!" my brother exclaimed "just perfect, love the little flick towards the end, if the judges see that on wednesday, they'll be well impressed".

So i had mastered some of the more difficult corners, but i knew that without more work on the car, and the cash to help us, the race would be a disasterous fail. And it being one of the biggest underground drifting events of the year, i couldnt afford to fail. Word had got out about me drifting, and others wanted to see how good i was, purely because of the lagend attached to the name. They knew that i, being the little brother of one of the best out there, was well worth a look, and i didnt want to get laughed at. Especially not with the scouts there.

"We need more money" I said. "We both know that its okay here, but in the tower, with those hairpins, against those cars......"

I didnt have to finish my sentence, my brother knew what i meant. 'the tower' was the name given to massive 7 storey parking lot in the centre of the city, tight hairpins linked by short straights, and you have to avoid the hundreds of cars packed into the building, right under the police's nose. The stakes are high, and not just on the tarmac.

If the cops catch you here, forget about driving again, they'll take your license and crush your car, and thats the best case scenario. Most take the option of running from the police, and i can see why, the police dont usually come across 500bhp skylines and the finest far east metal out there. So they cruise around in stock astra diesels, skoda wagons, and generally cars not associated with 'speed'. So outrunning them is the obvious choice. And with this car, i didnt stand a chance, even with the 263 bhp offered up by the RB20DET engine.

"We'll get the cash, we'll sell the old impreza if we have to. Get a few grand for it."

"Sell the impreza? Thats the first car you ever used in track racing, you cant sell it" i was flabbergast at my brothers decision to sell his first real car.

"Well, my time is done, i retired long ago, i dont need any of my cars." he replied. He drives a 106 GTI now, not exactly a drift, or grip dominator, but it gets him from A to B, and to him thats now more important than racing.

"If you want to then fine, but we wont get much for a quick sale."

"Oh have faith little brother. I know a few guys desperate to get their hands on the legendary impreza!"

Monday morning came. My brothers impreza had been sold, 5 grand was the final price, pretty good considering its state, i guees the widearch rally bodykit and 370bhp had helped the price go up a bit. We were all gathered in Jamies garage, standing around the stripped corrola in front of us.

"Right, now what do we need?" Jamie asked. When it came to building weapons, i knew what i was on about, since i was a toddler i had been learning about designing, and building cars for this purpose, to go as fast, and as sideways as possible.

"Well we need to replace that turbo, and the exhaust system, get a de-cat. If you have the parts in stock" I said.

"yeah alright, i have a few parts available for ya, heres my stuff." Jamie said, showing us the back room of his garage, where all his parts are kept. Everything from turbo kits, alloy wheels, exhausts, induction, even bodykits, lined the walls of the rather large room.

Immediately i picked out an exhaust system, it was a single tailpipe, about twice the size of an average apple. And the replacement turbo neede. A T88 with external wastegate. My brother started to carry the selected parts out of the stock room and lined them up on the floor next to our now completely stripped down corrola.

"What about bodykits? Spoilers? Racing seats and harnesses?" Jamie asked.

"Dont really need a bodykit, and the cars twitchy as it is, doesnt need a downforce - inducing spoiler on the back."

I picked out a red cobra racing seat, with matching red single point harnesses. I also selected some uprated pistons. And a new induction kit, as the old one was a little worn.

"I think thats all we need, should give it a bit more grunt." I said.

"Yeah, not bad, now we need to get all this fitted and sprayed in two days."

"Well," i said " we have all day today, tomorrow, and wednesday morning, before 9 p.m when racing starts. We have ageees! Dont worry!"

We met up with my brother outside.

"So!" he asked "shall we start?"

We worked all day, first we hoisted the engine out to fit the new parts. And to remove the worn down old ones. After putting the engine back in and giving it a quick clean. We starting putting the body panels back on. And prepped the car for a respray.

I got a call on wednesday morning, about 4 p.m, it was from Jamie.

"Yeah, listen mate, weve got the respray done, its almost dried out, youre gonna love the colour we chose. Get your arse down here pronto."

I arrived at the garage with my brother. The car was being lowered off the ramp, i admired the deep blood-red colour scheme. And marveled at how shooth the body was.

"Oh man" i exclaimed "it looks so good."

Jamie and his team had smoothed down the bodywork, and cleaned up the dents and scratches a bit. All finished in blood red, apart from the carbon fibre front lip.

"Yeah, i added a few little extra's, and the car now matches the seats, hope you dont mind about the front lip spoiler, and the one on the back aswell."

I hadnt noticed the tiny carbon fibre spoiler potruding from the rear bootlid, only tiny, barely noticable. Jamie had also fitted Rota slipstream wheels, finished in glass black and with a carbon fibre outer lip on the wheel, it looked great.

"Jamie, listen mate, im really happy for all the help youve given us with the car and that" I said. inspecting the gleaming bodywork.

"No worries, i used to do it for your brother all the time." He said.

"Yeah nice one jamie, looks mint" My brother said. Obviously surprised as to how exactly a £250 broken Corrola with a R32 engine in it could possibly be transformed into this smooth, 300bhp drift legend.

My brother and Jamie walked over to Jamie's office, leaving me to admire the smooth, almost euro-style look that Jamie had transformed the car into. I got inside and was surrounded by gauges, and a huge 16 point rollcage, making the car a minefield to get into. I turned the key in the ignition and was greeted by an entirely unfamiliar sound, definitely didnt sound as raspy and dirty as two days ago. It sounded crisp and clean. Jamie and my brother came back to the car.

"Okay" Jamie said, as i switched the engine off, but not after giving it one last rev. "We've lined you up with a race at the tower on friday. You'll miss tonights racing action though."

"Why?" I asked. I had wanted to use tonight as a settings run, get the car in check before the Tower event.

"Standard rules. Anybody entering in the Tower event cannot race in any meet-ups 1 week before the event. It stops people from winning cars in pink slips and racing them at the tower instead. Thus making it unfair."

I didnt see how. But rules were rules. And with the anticipation of being able to race in one of the most respected events around. I could hardly wait to get sideways, just millimetres away from solid concrete walls, hammering our cars up and down the urban jungle of ramps, high curbs and hairpins in the quickest, and most stylish way possible. The difference of winning £10.000 and your opponents car, or crashing through the barriers on the top two levels, falling almost a hundred feet to what could be your very last moments could be measured in just inches. I cant wait.

Beautiful chapter. I like your story very much. You're amazing with words.

"The Tower" sounds like that one car park in Tokyo Drift.

Chapter 5: The Tower.

The busy street outside the tower was packed with everything, from cars to trucks. The majority of people just trying to get home from work. Its 5p.m. Rush hour.

I had met up with Jamie and Ashley just outside. They were using Jamie's baby blue RX7. Which i had never seen before. I had parked my car on the bottom level, im surrounded by far east tuning cars and im in my element. This was a proper meet-up. Lookouts posted on the 3 highest floors made sure that any police activity in the area was quickly brought to our attention. I get out of my corrola and approach Jamie, who's talking to a japanese guy in a black hoodie.

"Alright mate" Jamie turns towards me "Ready to race?" He asks.

"What now?" I reply.

"No dumbass! Later on. Let me introduce you to the events organiser, the guy who made tonight happen. Alex. Meet the next big thing!"

Alex looks me up and down.

"So youre the hotshot then huh?"

I hadnt realised i had already gained a nickname within the scene.

"Yeah, thats me!" I reply with a smile. Glowing to be in the presence of such precious cars. Some of the best drifting motors were here, parked side by side, reflecting each others colourful paint and wild vinyls.

"Nice car. I guess thats another of his creations" He nodded towards Jamie.

"Yeah i made it, but he designed it" Jamie said. Acknowledging me.

"Well, you better be on top form, one slight mistake and youre gonna wrap your precious ride around one of these" He said, placing a hand on one of the many huge concrete pillars, supporting the floors above the. "And they have a tendency to end your car's life". He added.

The wave of what exactly i was facing suddenly hit me. These are pink slip races aswell, only now did i realise. Its all or nothing. You lose here. You either lose your ride. Or your life....
Alex produced a clipboard from his own car, a bright White supra, T-top too.

"This is tonights agenda" He said "So listen up hotshot. Youre in the second race, your up against a regular, his name is tayshe. He drives a blue S14. Very nice car, and he doesnt want to lose it either. So watch yourself, he'll pull every trick in the book to win this. He hasnt lost in a while, so youre gonna have to work hard."

I didnt like the sound of this, earlier on i was literally shaking at the prospect of racing here. But winning was becoming a more impossible target.

"Now, you take the elevator, down to -B. Your car will be waiting there next to your opponents. We hook camera's onto the cars so we can review the tapes afterwards, to make sure there was no cheating. So get going, youre on in 5."

Me and Jamie entered the elevator. Jamie bushed the blue B button. The elevator hummed into life and the doors slid shut.

"Now your brothers waiting at the top, just follow the normal line up the car lot. Remember to enter slow, exit fast on the corners, theres about 500 people here tonight, spread out over the entire course. Every level looks the same except for the top 2, where instead of complete concrete walls you get metal barriers at the sides. Crash into them and your out. Simple as." Jamie explained.

"Im nervous." I said, my voice was shaking. And i felt sick.

"I know. Everyonegets nervous first time round. And remember. Its not just one race tonight, you will race Tayshe again leter on, regardless of who wins. But this time you go down the building, not working your way up. And the finish line is where we cam in remember?"

"Yeah i remember. So the 2nd race is shorter?" I said.

"Yeah, but its harder, because youre going downhill. But theres no need to worry about that now, lets get this first race out of the way. The second race is judged, so skill wins. But you have to cross the line 1st in one of the races to stand a chance of winning, if you come second in the first race, you HAVE to win race 2. If you do win race 2, and lose race 1, then the winner is decided by the judges on sill, angle, speed and overall control."

"Its confusing..." I said.

"I know, just make sure you win atleast once. You'll be okay".

The elevator pinged open, we got out and walked over to the far wall, there was nobody else down here except for Tayshe, hidden behind the tinted glass on his S14. And Alex. Who had obviously driven my car here and mounted the camera's on both. He would be dropping the flag to start the race. I got in my corrola, strapped myself in and started her up. The engine purred to life, i looked over to Tayshe, the side windows werent tinted, and i could see that his eyes were trained on the road ahead. 'this is it' i though, everything to play for.

Alex walked out in front of us. My stomach started to tighten, the nerves getting the better of me. I tried to push the image of crashing through the metal barriers in the back of my mind. I couldnt think about the consequences. Only on the race.

Alex rasied his arms, flag in hand, he nodded once to me, i revved my engine. He nodded to Tayshe, Who wasnt looking at all nervous. He nodded back.

Alex dropped his arms. I dropped the clutch and pushed hard on the throttle. The wheels span wildly, scrabbling for grip, Tayshe was already ahead. No wheelspin from him. He was approaching the first corner, i was a few feet behind him, i went to the far left, ready to brake for the first right handed hairpin, up ahead i saw Tayshe, flicking his S14 sideways, drifting magestically around the corner. I followed suit. i braked and spun the wheel voilently to the right, the back end stepped out and i started to angle the car into the centre, as i left the corner i extended the dirft a few metres extra before countersteering enough to bring the car back in line. I had notcied that both Alex and Jamie had gotten into the elevator and left, probably up to the top floor to see who will win i thought.

I accelerated along the tarmac of the first level of the Tower, Tayshe just a fet feet in front, he wasnt going as fast as he could, i tried to find a way round but it was just too tight, he entered the corner ahead of me, this one was longer, taking him up to the entrance level, he feinted left and went hard right, the car slid up the curved ramp as i followed suit, as i straightened the car out the light hit me, the first two floors were basement levels, no windows or gaps to let the sunlight through, i reminded myself that it was still only about half 5, still bright as day outside. The sunlight almost blinded me, and i accelerated across the straight, chasing Tayshe up the next couple of levels, there was only a few feet between us but i still couldnt get past, i had too, i knew that if i didnt win this race, then i HAD to finish first in the second race if i wanted to win.

Tayshe drifting up yet another curved ramp, signalling the beginning of the final two levels, now if i lost cotrol, i wouldnt have the solid concrete to keep me safe, now theyre were just metal barriers, and the final couple of levels presented a new problem. Spectators. With theyre cars lined along the wall, people standing and admiring our techniques, we both had to be very careful so not to damage other peoples cars. Tayshe drifted around another tight hairpin, i knew the next corner would be the final curved one, which was the entrance to the top level, the roofless level where over 200 people were gathered to congratulate the victor, and ridicule the loser.

As we both entered the final long straight approaching the very last corner, i pulled my little hatchback to the right, Tayshe never expected it, i started to inch along-side him, until we were completely neck and neck, millimetres away on both sides from hitting the other cars, we both hurtled towards the final corner, it was going to be a game of chicken approaching the final sweeping curved bend. He had the outside line, and the advantage, he just pulled ahead, by only a few inches, the corner was right there, and he pulled the handbrake and swung right, his S14 spun to an almost 90 degree angle, right infront of my car, he had managed to get ahead with one of the most daring moves i had every witnessed. He drifted up the ramp and i knew it was over. I followed suit, as he entered the top level, instantly we were awash with people rushing over, congratulating him. His car grinded to a halt and i pulled up next to him, drowned out by the cheers, i switched the engine off and got out. Everyone had gathered around the S14, and Tayshe, who was now doing donuts in the middle of the lot. I walked over to my brother and Jamie, standing with the organiser Alex.

"Dont worry kiddo, its not over yet" My brother said.

"Yeah. no threat hot shot, still got another race." Echoed alex.

I looked back at Tayshe, who was now out of his car and talking to a group of guys gathered around him. Our cars were being lined up at the other end, as people made their way down to the lower levels, probably gathering at the Tower's main entrance, the finish line for our next race. I saw Tayshe getting back into his S14, ready to race me for a second time.

"Okay kid, youre up" Jamie said.

"Wish me luck" I said to my brother.

"You dont need it buddy." He smiled back.

I walked over to my car, i knew i had to win this race if i had a chance of winning. I got inside and once again strapped myself in, i pulled the harness tight, excpecting the barrage of G-forces i was about to be put under. Alex walked inbetween our two cars, the both of us started revving the engines, determined to get the best start possible. Alex raised his arms high in the air, a nod in both our directions signalled we were ready to race. And, GO! Alex dropped his arms, i dumped the clutch and punched the throttle with my foot, but this time i held off a little, to eliminate any wheelspin that caused my last bad start, me and Tayshe were neck and neck entering the first corner, once again though, he was on the outside and got the better of me, i was right on his rear bumper exiting the first corner, we hammered down the straight towards the hairpin, i pulled the handbrake this time round, he went for a power over drift, he exited wide and i nipped the inside with my smaller, but tighter drift, i was on his left exiting the corner, just ahead, his more powerful S14 was inching ahead until we were side by side.

We entered the huge curved bend at about 70mph, i feinted towards him and snapped back, the rear of my corrola spitting tyre smoke onto his windscreen, he could barely see, as a result he didnt notice the sharpness of the hairpin, he understeered towards the metal barrier, he whipped his car left, narrowly avoiding the red and white barrier, he was back on track but miles behind me, and i knew the judges would see that thanks to our car-camera's. I entered the next hairpin, rather confident, and drifted around nicely. we were now on the third main level, only one corner away from the finishing line, i noticed that he was right behind me again, my corrola spitting exhaust flames into his front bumpers mesh as we hit the last corner.

As we exited the corner i extended the drift slightly along the straight, cutting infront of him to prevent him from nipping on the inside, he had no choice but to brake, falling behind by about 10-15 feet, i crossed the line and looked behind, i knew i had done it, but it wasnt the decider, i looked over to the judges in the far corner as i did a half circle. kicking smoke into the hollering crowd, the judges were clearly impressed by what they had seen.

As i got out, my brother and Alex cam over to me, Alex was the first to speak.

"We just got official word, its in the bag, you won mate!" He exclaimed.

My head went light, i was dizzy with elation, i had won my first ever event at the tower, and overall i was technically undefeated in my drifting career!

"That means we have a new car on our hands kiddo" My brother said with a wink, motioning towards the S14.

Jamie had just collected the keys from an emotional Tayshe. He joined us amidst the cheering crowd. He handed my the keys.

"I believe these are yours!" He said.

I held the keys in the air, the crowd responded with a huge cheer. A new car, and £10.000!

"Not a bad night!" My brother said.

Not a bad night at all!

I thought you raced a blue S14 for pinks. ;)

Nice catch RJ.
Fluke if, you fix that, it'll be a perfect chapter. Minus a few spelling errors that could be corrected easily.

I love how I can actually picture whats happening in the story in my head. You have amazing visuals.

Yep, fixed the error with the cars. Thanks for the kind words you guys.

I dont have auto-spellcheck so i have to go through with a fine toothcomb, i miss a few, apologies. I'll check twice from now on ;)

Im working on the next chapter. Up soon.

Yep, fixed the error with the cars. Thanks for the kind words you guys.

I dont have auto-spellcheck so i have to go through with a fine toothcomb, i miss a few, apologies. I'll check twice from now on ;)

Im working on the next chapter. Up soon.

Get OpenOffice.

Auto spellcheck, check. Has all the features of Microsoft Office, basically.

Also, Mozilla Firefox has spellcheck built in, so when you're typing up a post, it'll point out misspellings.

Thats why I use Mozilla, that, and its just a better browser. Although noone in my family seems to think so... The simple thing would be to just switch over to Mozilla. But even with your minor errors your story is amazing. Keep up the good work. 👍

Heres a mini-chapter that i wrote, an introduction to the next chapter if you will.

Im sure you cant wait for the next real chapter, it will be here soon. Dont fret ;)

Chapter 6 - Legend!

"Nice win" My brother said, as i walked over to him.

I had just won my 4th race of the night, its saturday and were back at the mountain, and everybody has heard about 'the hotshot' and his brand new S14. All the drifters wanted a piece, fortunately this meeting was mostly full of rookie's, with cars that wouldnt look out of place on the drag strip. I had just beaten an '05 mustang. And me and my brother had currently raked in just over £2000 from tonights winnings.

"These americans" I explained, trying to sound modest about my winning streak "they fit solid shock absorbers and supercharge their V8's and they think they can drift! They dont know a thing."

My brother gave me a look.

"Dont get cocky, these guys are nothing, wait until your back at the tower, or here on wednesday when there will be some real people to race."

"Whose coming on wednesday?" I asked, eager to find out who will be losing next.

"Ray" He said. Looking off into the distance.

"I'll race him, easy" I said, showing my confidence.

"I advise you not to have that bet" My brother said quietly.

"Why not?" I asked "I could take that punk. He's nothing compared to me".

My brother let out a chuckle and shook his head, still looking off into the distance.

"He's undefeated" He said, turning his attention towards me. "Your good, but he's the best."

"Yeah" i replied "Well im undefeated too".

"Fine" He replied, with a quiet sigh, "I'll set it up."

"Yeah, you do that" I said.

im working on it you guys!

Recently rekindled my social life, aquired a new job, and a new girlfriend so i dont that much time on my hands! Plus im getting a new car (damn un-insured divers dont look both ways) and such so i am really busy. But it should be up soon.

Latest Posts

Back