Sim-Plicity Compact Series Direct Drive Wheels Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 287 comments
You sound like my wife (haha no offense I love her too)...patience and Brian is like water and fire...Next step forme is to participate in the Fanatec auction. If not succesfull I'll probably preorder a DD1 and wait, and wait
Dont know what to say with your declaration of love.... But I am already happily married!

But kidding aside... Why not buy a new (cheaper) gadget or toy to fill up the rest of 2018. I bought myself a DJI osmo gimbal to start learning to make cinematic videos with just my iPhone. I also have €€€ of photography gear I can pick up if I ever get GAS again. When i get bored of simracing and gaming, I go back to photography and visa versa. Perhaps invest in another hobby till the Fanatec DD is released?
Ooooh, you guys. :sly:

At least one SW12C+ was delivered:

My new DD setup - Sim-plicity

5tqgpjonjce11.jpg

WOW... That motor is tiny! I want one even more now.

How is the torque, forces, fidelity and was the setup overly difficult?

I got to agree with Gamer Muscle. Sim Racing is pay to win.

Edit:
With out getting into wheels and pedals. Just having the ability to make a Triple Screen setup, or run VR, gives that player an advantage over those without it. I know for a fact that it's easier to place a car in any sim running a proper FOV, but on a single screen I cant see into turns. If I had triple screens, that limitation would be gone, and the game would be easier as a result.

Last edited:
I got to agree with Gamer Muscle. Sim Racing is pay to win.

Edit:
With out getting into wheels and pedals. Just having the ability to make a Triple Screen setup, or run VR, gives that player an advantage over those without it. I know for a fact that it's easier to place a car in any sim running a proper FOV, but on a single screen I cant see into turns. If I had triple screens, that limitation would be gone, and the game would be easier as a result.
Dont underestimate the ability of humans to adapt. It is well documented that there are aliens who outpace anyone with a g25/27 and just a single monitor. But that said it cant be denied that better immersion might help non aliens in to be faster as well. But personally I am convinced you dont need high end gear to be fast.

That is why I always stress the importance of Plug & playability of toys like these. Troubleshooting hard and software just isnt worth someones time in my opinion. Perhaps kits like these are more for the hobbyist who like to betatest and contribute to development, but for gaming I just want something that works as much out of the box as possible.

Yeah I'm starting to think that maybe the best for me is to just go for the Podium DD1. I'm guessing the leap from my T500 will feel higher to that than to the SW7C+ for example. Plus it's all plug and play and great ffb right out of the box apparently. The only drawback is that it will be considerably pricier.
Difficult decision.

Yeah I'm starting to think that maybe the best for me is to just go for the Podium DD1. I'm guessing the leap from my T500 will feel higher to that than to the SW7C+ for example. Plus it's all plug and play and great ffb right out of the box apparently. The only drawback is that it will be considerably pricier.
Difficult decision.

But is it really pricier? From what I understand the DD1 is around 20NM peak so a comparable simplicity will be a similar price. I am still undecided for now but the DD1 and a mclaren GT3 rim, assuming it is compatible with the DD1, are currently topping my xmas wish list. I'll keep checking for further reviews on the simplicity wheels but the DD1 looks like a winner for Fanatec.

Pricier as in I have to pay more money (even though the DD1 is obviously stronger and it's not an apples to apples comparison). Fanatec doesn't have any DD alternatives (yet) in that price/NM range, hence the comparison.

I am a bit concerned about the filtering though.
I am also concerned about this:
GP20
I think the rotational speed is affected by the speed limit so it's probably not on paar with higher DD.
It's up to Ollie to unlock the speed but there is no emergency button and i think it's an issue.
Link

Maybe Sim-plicity will offer an emergency stop kit for the 10C+ and turn the safety filter off (or down) in the future?
Sorry, I do not know.

Brilliant find! :)
Finally a review on this! Interesting comparison to a CSW 2.0. Even though I would have preferred a comparison with the 2.5 instead. But I suppose the SW7C beats that with a good margin as well. Interestingly he also said the T500 (which I happen to have now) feels like a toy in comparison. That's exactly what I thought about the G25 after moving to the T500, heheh.

Something to ponder: For the same price that I would get a Podium DD1 + McLaren GT3 wheel I could get:

Sim-plicity SW7C
Heusinkveld Pro Sim Pedals

OR

Sim-plicity SW7C
Fanatec Clubsport V3
Fanatec CS Shifter 1.5
Fanatec CS Handbrake 1.5

That's a lot of hardware bang for your buck. :)

Well everyone is trying to get hype in order to buy them day one, lol

Just saw this on the iracing forums, it’s a 9Nm DD wheel with a lot more road detail in comparison to a CSW V2.5 according to the reviewer, great for those folk that don’t want a bigger motor

P.S. forgot this thread was for the Fanatec DD wheels, if this offends someone please delete

I hope it's ok if we move the discussion about this wheel here, since it's related to the SIM-PLICITY wheels in a way (budget DD).

I made a comparison of some wheels (the DD1 and CSW 2.5 are included without any further details):
KPgxkgD.png

These are all prices without VAT. I sent a mail to Simtechracing asking what encoder is in the 9nm.

It would be very interesting to have a comparison between for example the SW10C and SW10C+. It's a bit confusing with all these encoder numbers flying around. Would be great to get an actual comparison and find out how much difference they actually make.

For example: the SW10C+ is 8 million cpr. How does that "feel" compared to a BISS-C 22-bit encoder with 4 million cpr.

Honestly, this is more confusing than trying to find out which mobile subscription to go for. :lol:

EDIT: Looking at the numbers alone the SW10C+ is looking like a good buy compared to the Simtechracing 9nm. But that's only numbers of course.
The only wheel that doesn't look particularly good here is the CWS 2.5. With a Fanatec steering wheel rim that will end up on about the same price as the SW10C+ with a custom steering wheel rim from ebay.

Last edited:
I have a OSW SimuCube, I get that plug and play is great, and because of that I told my friends to hold to see the review for the Fanatec Podium, but me mounting and setting up my DD was really easy and intuitive. Plus the Granite panel control give me access to a plenty of option and tunning that I would not have for the Fanatec.

@Whitestar: get the HE Pro, you will have time for the shifter. The Pro are expensive but they are that good.

Plus, stay away from the McLaren rim. It is great for belt driven wheel, I had it and the size and the paddles are great, but I sold it because it can hold the torque of a DD. Get something more solid.

On an OSW base. But the Podiums have a sort of screw that pushes on some rubber that expands and causes a good tight grip on the shaft, according to Gamermuscle.

The problem is not the shaft at all. The problem is because the plastic of the rim is weak. I sold the rim after 15 minutes of a session. The F1 and the BMW are great.

This is based on my opinion, nothing more.

The problem is not the shaft at all. The problem is because the plastic of the rim is weak. I sold the rim after 15 minutes of a session. The F1 and the BMW are great.

This is based on my opinion, nothing more.
Hmmm, well that doesn't sound good. But good to know.
Maybe they had the ffb strength turned down below your settings during that event.

Encoder resolution seems to vary quite a bit from wheel to wheel but I am wondering if more is better or just overkill. Lets say I have a 300mm diameter wheel rim and a 10000 CPR encoder. A quick calculation of the circumference/encoder CPR gives me 0.094mm /pulse. That's a tenth of a millimeter movement that the encoder will detect and as I am only a humble earthling and not an alien then I cannot see the need for an encoder CPR of a couple of million. Even if it takes two pulses to register movement then that is still a fifth of a millimeter or am I missing something here?

Barry said in his review of the BISS-C-encoder that the upgrade wasn't an earth shattering difference, but rather a subtle difference. He mentions slightly less latency (being able to catch slides quicker) and a bit smoother feel. I wonder if that difference is worth 75 pounds though.
And yeah, there is no doubt a point of diminishing returns in there somewhere.

Back