Sim-Plicity Compact Series Direct Drive Wheels Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 287 comments
Bulgaria
Bulgaria
Compact

Our lightweight range of direct drive wheels.

With the multitude of mounting options provided by the 80/20 compatible mount and Universal base plate along with the lighter motors used in the various models, the "Compacts" are designed to fit all sim rigs and wheel stands without additional modification or reinforcement.

Each model has a dedicated hardware/software stack, ships ready-to-run with firmware pre-installed and is easily managed with its unique configuration software.

There are currently 3 models, each with 2 variants

SW7C (7Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 10,000 cpr incremental encoder (Discontinued)
SW7C+ (7Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 8,388,608 cpr absolute encoder (Discontinued)
SW10C (10Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 20,000 cpr incremental encoder (Discontinued)
SW10C+ (10Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 8,388,608 cpr absolute encoder (Discontinued)
SW12C (12Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 20,000 cpr incremental encoder (Discontinued)
SW12C+ (12Nm Direct Drive Wheel)with a 8,388,608 cpr absolute encoder (Discontinued)

New models:

SW8C+ (8Nm Direct Drive Wheel) with a 8,388,608 cpr absolute encoder
SW13C+ (13Nm Direct Drive Wheel) with a 8,388,608 cpr absolute encoder

Supported Sims:

Assetto Corsa
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Automobilista
BeamNG.drive
Dirt Rally
Dirt 4
iRacing
Live for Speed
Project CARS
Project CARS 2
RaceRoom Racing Experience
rFactor
rFactor 2
Richard Burns Rally
Stock Car Extreme

Last edited:
Looks interesting...

Anyone know about any adapter solutions for the buttons on Thrustmaster wheels?
I have two nice TM wheel rims (599 Alcantara and a custom Momo) which I would like to use with Sim-plicity, if possible.

Anyone know about any adapter solutions for the buttons on Thrustmaster wheels?
I have two nice TM wheel rims (599 Alcantara and a custom Momo) which I would like to use with Sim-plicity, if possible.
There is an adapter for OSW but I have no idea if it will work with Sim-Plicity SW7C.

I have a question. Does anyone know (or have a good guess) about the amount of force a Fenatic PWTS/CSR puts out? If the SW7C handily beats it, then I'll be strongly considering this to replace my CSR.

• Logitech DFGT: less than 2.5 Nm
  • Logitech G25: 2.5 Nm
  • Logitech G27: 2.3 Nm
  • Logitech G29: 2.1 Nm - not a retail release version of wheel
  • Logitech G920 2.2 Nm
  • Fanatech GT3 v2: 2.6 Nm
  • Thrustmaster Tx: 3.9 Nm
  • Thrustmaster T500: 4.4 Nm
  • Fanatec CSW v1: 4.8 Nm
  • Fanatec CSW v2: 7.1 Nm
So your CSR should be around 2,6Nm. Which is well below the SW7C. I would personally recommend the SW10C for £80 extra, just to get more overhead. For reference, I'm running my SW28 at around 7Nm, eventhough it's capable of almost 4 times that.

That makes sense. For me the price increase is $127.00 USD, but for the extra head room in fidelity, it's probably worth it. Hell, pricing up everything I would need to make the switch to a Sim-Plicity unit and Proto-Simtech pedals, $127 isn't that big a jump.

Yesterday already ordered a mini keyboard- i will fix it onto my old t500 rim.
That saves the money for a expensive rim and even more expensive button hub.
Fanatec button hub 350€ VS mini keyboard 13€ LOOL :D

Attachments

• 61WuCTh9xQL._SL1000_.jpg
    61WuCTh9xQL._SL1000_.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
So are there no reviews out there of this 7nm wheel?
They had a problem with the power supply:

"After implementing our proposed fixes, testing completed successfully and we resumed shipping with units going out yesterday.

We continued to synthetically test as we needed more clarity as to why the instability occurred.

Unfortunately, we discovered late last night, the root cause of the instability is an operational conflict between the intelligent power-saving feature of our chosen MeanWell power supply and the energy harvesting functionality within the Compact wheels.

The energy harvesting feature stores current generated by the motor while being rotated by the user. This is then used to power the system till the store is depleted. The Power Supply detecting reduced load requirements goes into an effective standby mode until power is requested.

In certain abnormal situations (using the system without an encoder connected being one), the PSU effectively remained in standby mode despite there being a power requirement.

We only fully identified this after devising a synthetic test suite that was able to repeatedly cause the instability. We then realised our fix from last week was effectively raising the trigger threshold so all normal tests passed but the PSU was still at risk of being stuck in Standby if the appropriate combination of events occurred.

We do not feel able to supply units with a known potential issue and have stopped sales & shipment of the Compact series wheels till a resolution is found.

We have opened a technical line with MeanWell to explore options to better manage PSU behaviour but see that as a long term item. In the short to mid term, we are looking at less “intelligent” PSUs but will have to redesign the external controller enclosure to accommodate the alternative as well as suffer a potential 4-12 week delay as the PSUs are shipped directly from MeanWell in Taiwan.

As none of these options are particularly immediate, we feel the best option at this stage would be to reverse your order and provide a full refund."
Link

By the way there is another version called Sim-Plicity SW7C+ which has an encoder with much higher resolution but it costs 100 euros more.

Last edited:
That is for a reason - to avoid someone to purchase before everything is set up and finalised.
But if you don't know that, like me for instance, you'd think that everything is really sold out and go look for another solution. Why can't they just say that the goods aren't "available" yet instead of "sold out"?
And .... if someone wants to purchase a wheel but it isn't finalised, just tell this customer that he/she can put down a deposite and wait for the wheel to be ready for shipment.

I for one, find this to be a "stupid and unlogical reason". No insult intended, just my way of saying things. :)

But if you don't know that, like me for instance, you'd think that everything is really sold out and go look for another solution. Why can't they just say that the goods aren't "available" yet instead of "sold out"?
And .... if someone wants to purchase a wheel but it isn't finalised, just tell this customer that he/she can put down a deposite and wait for the wheel to be ready for shipment.

I for one, find this to be a "stupid and unlogical reason". No insult intended, just my way of saying things. :)
Well, they have support, so you always can ask and will have the answer. Sold out is shown, because their online platform don`t have all possible variety of status messages I believe. They know that you can go for another wheel, but they prefer to sell only quality approved DD wheels!;)

Well, they have support, so you always can ask and will have the answer. Sold out is shown, because their online platform don`t have all possible variety of status messages I believe. They know that you can go for another wheel, but they prefer to sell only quality approved DD wheels!;)
I still think that the "Sold Out" message is odd to say the least. "Available Soon" would be more appropriate.

I still think that the "Sold Out" message is odd to say the least. "Available Soon" would be more appropriate.
I am not resistance to your opinion, but prefer to discuss here the wheel itself that the best online store options instead of "sold out";)
So, do you plan to have this wheel?

This wheel will be released very soon, so after the release there will be reviews no doubt!;)
I thought it was coming out in April. I now see there was an issue though.
They had a problem with the power supply:

"After implementing our proposed fixes, testing completed successfully and we resumed shipping with units going out yesterday.

We continued to synthetically test as we needed more clarity as to why the instability occurred.

Unfortunately, we discovered late last night, the root cause of the instability is an operational conflict between the intelligent power-saving feature of our chosen MeanWell power supply and the energy harvesting functionality within the Compact wheels.

The energy harvesting feature stores current generated by the motor while being rotated by the user. This is then used to power the system till the store is depleted. The Power Supply detecting reduced load requirements goes into an effective standby mode until power is requested.

In certain abnormal situations (using the system without an encoder connected being one), the PSU effectively remained in standby mode despite there being a power requirement.

We only fully identified this after devising a synthetic test suite that was able to repeatedly cause the instability. We then realised our fix from last week was effectively raising the trigger threshold so all normal tests passed but the PSU was still at risk of being stuck in Standby if the appropriate combination of events occurred.

We do not feel able to supply units with a known potential issue and have stopped sales & shipment of the Compact series wheels till a resolution is found.

We have opened a technical line with MeanWell to explore options to better manage PSU behaviour but see that as a long term item. In the short to mid term, we are looking at less “intelligent” PSUs but will have to redesign the external controller enclosure to accommodate the alternative as well as suffer a potential 4-12 week delay as the PSUs are shipped directly from MeanWell in Taiwan.

As none of these options are particularly immediate, we feel the best option at this stage would be to reverse your order and provide a full refund."

By the way there is another version called Sim-Plicity SW7C+ which has an encoder with much higher resolution but it costs 100 euros more.
Thanks. Shame they had issues.
Agree. Always thought it was odd to put sold out. Makes it sound like its a limited supply.

I thought it was coming out in April. I now see there was an issue though.

Thanks. Shame they had issues.
Agree. Always thought it was odd to put sold out. Makes it sound like its a limited supply.

It was planned to be released april/may, but as we all know - a technical problem postponed the release in the last moment. In fact some wheels was shipped out and was recall back.

Have there been any reviews of those wheels yet though? Not convinced those cheaper motors have the same fidelity as the others but happy to be proven wrong.
Not yet, but they should appear by the end of this month.
Excuse me for moving your post here but this is off topic in the Podium DD wheel thread.:)

Not yet, but they should appear by the end of this month.
Excuse me for moving your post here but this is off topic in the Podium DD wheel thread.:)
No worries, has Barry got one? That’s the one we all want, nothing better than unwinding to some SRG goodness.

Back