SimHQ E3 GT5 extended play report

  • Thread starter Thread starter CoolColJ
  • 69 comments
  • 8,734 views
What's special is that they have a website that publishes their views and opinions. The good thing is that most of us who can't be at E3 to try out the GT5 demo is now able to read about it. It's a good read and an interesting insight on what we can expect but as with any opinion, you have to take it for what it's worth.

Sorry if this is offensive but sometime I wonder if people actually think before they speak.

So they have an opinion, big whoop. Everyone has an opinion AND a website yada yada (myself included), that doesn't justify getting an hour seat time when others have been waiting patiently. Unless...maybe they let lots of other 'groups' like SimHQ also have as much seat time (which may be the case, but don't know for certain). Do you see the irony in your reply there? (Hint: use 'sometimes' in that tense)

Jerome
 
Interesting article. I can understand the why the compared it to Forza 3 as it that would be a rival sim. But it is it necessary? I don't think so. Some people that like FM# may not like GT and vice versa. I haven't played FM3 so I don't have an opinion about it. I wanted to play but I wasn't going to buy a 360 just to play it. Anyway I thought they made some good points in their article. I can't wait till Gamescon and we get even more info.
 
I'd say FM3 is more about what you want to do with the game, rather than GT's traditionally more structured game where you're very much playing Kaz's vision with regards to the standard cars with limited visual customisation and having to do licenses to earn entry to bigger races. In Forza, you could essentially paint and make money from day 1 without racing if you knew the right people. Car gifting goes on quite often over at FM.net. The last car I got gifted was someone who didn't want their LP670 SV any longer.

If you want structure, then I'd say GT would be more your thing, but FM3 is a fun experience if you're creative and it doesn't play badly, either.
 
So they have an opinion, big whoop. Everyone has an opinion AND a website yada yada (myself included), that doesn't justify getting an hour seat time when others have been waiting patiently. Unless...maybe they let lots of other 'groups' like SimHQ also have as much seat time (which may be the case, but don't know for certain). Do you see the irony in your reply there? (Hint: use 'sometimes' in that tense)

Jerome

There's a huge difference between missing an "s" in a word and missing the point entirely. No hint here: you need to think long and hard.
 
Last edited:
Rivalry is what drives companies/teams/people to be on the top of their game at all times. Competition is what keeps products improving. If just one company/team/person gets an easy monopoly on something, they will get lazy and the results will suffer.

AKA Madden football.
 
There's a huge difference between missing an "s" in a word and missing the point entirely. No hint here: you need to think long and hard.

ROFL :lol: Please go stir up trouble elsewhere...now back to the thread! 👍

Jerome
 
Competition is what keeps products improving. If just one company/team/person gets an easy monopoly on something, they will get lazy and the results will suffer.
I think Gran Turismo would be the one game which breaks this rule. Kazunori is a visionary and perfectionist, and even with other racing games on the market, he pits himself against the toughest competition there is: reality. If there were no other racing games, Kaz would still be trying to give players the emotions of being in a race, racing on the greatest tracks of the world, and collecting cars from all over.

It's not designed to polish egos by being the ultimate sim. That's what Autobahns and track days are for.
This time, I think you're wrong. Kaz understands that very few people can even attend a race, let alone do a track day. He said that his goal in GT5 was to capture that excitement of participating in a race more than ever. Part of that is making GT5 3D, but it seems from the Time Trial demo that he's gone very far towards giving the cars the feel of an actual vehicle on a track. While many were frustrated by this, most of us here were in heaven.

There's nothing wrong with making GT5 both a pick up and play game and one of the best sims around, and from the remarks of the SimHQ and ISR guys, it seems that Kazunori created something very special this time.
 
This is far and away the most credible GT5 preview so far.

To get such a positive preview from these guys pretty much cements GT5's status as a simulation.
 
Awesome post!
I wonder if the GT5 demo, and GT5, have more calculations per second than GT5P, and if thats why they feel more realistic?
And how many do rfactor, or iracing have?

As someone has already pointed out, the rate of physics calculations per second is completely unrelated to the realism of the physics in question. For example, Need For Speed Shift runs at 420 hz, while Gran Turismo 4 only ran at 60 hz.
 
Those guys are really really really annoying with constant comparasions with FM series regarding physics.

If they are serious - which they clearly and most obvisuly are not - they would be "simulation aware" and both realise and noted it is completely uncomparable, especially if we're talking about the wheel support.

Forza 3 never settled the issue with wheel support, no matter if it is MS wheel or Fanatec. Steering buffer is till there, controller-drivers are still much faster than wheel drivers and force feedback effect is still a joke when compared to solutions offered on both PS3 and PC.

Untill Microsoft decide to honor one of it's greatest franchises with console/hardware that will actually support true force feedback effect and when T10 decides to make Forza lateral-physics being fully released, there is no way on Earth somebody serious can draw the line between this two series.

SimHQ have been a completejoke with this comparasions and I really can't understand why is their voice so influential.

It is like going into debate about both series simulational aspects when I played both with the wheel and other side never touched anything but controller.

Come on..

Oh, and this too:



BUt those two minutes were obvisuly enough to write down this:



Really? Maybe I should invite those guys to come to my house and try to drive both games in cockpits with the wheels and make some serious comparations regarding those "eye candy" thingie when all assists are off.. Untill then I guess everybody will just quote thier "simulation hard-core experts" and further furnace the Troll Wars.

Amar,

The guys at SimHQ really know their stuff about race sims and other games/sims. They are excellent writers and reviewers imho.

The mods/reviewers at SimHQ are not Xbox360 Fanboizs. If GT5 is as good as Sony/PD claim then you will start seeing more coverage of this game.

simhq has a strong Xbox360-orientation AIUI few, or none, of the mods/reviewers at the site have PS3s so they tend to focus on Xbox360 games.

I thought it was a good preview of GT5 considering they only had 2-minute increments of gameplay.
 
Last edited:
Back