Single Line Syndrome

• Thread starter RedOak
  • 33 comments
What the OP describes sounds to me like one of the pre-defined races in GT5P. Some of them undeniably suffer from the unchangeable starting order.

If you race your simple Arcade Race with an "AI-Level" that suits your driving skills, two things will occur:

a) the cars are selected in the performance range that you selected. Sometimes, but not very often, you get the unbeatable car that's starting from the front. But that is mainly due to either wrongly categorized cars in terms of performance points, or maybe a range of allowed cars that is a little too wide, not necessarily an AI-problem.

Once GT5 is out, the selection could be done much more precisely, since there are so many more cars in all PP-classes a random selection can choose from. So that won't be a problem anymore.

b) the AI cars start in a random order, which means that they will fight for position quite a lot, if the faster cars are not out front.

Of course, there is an AI-problem in GT5P still, because their overtaking is, shall we call it 'less than graceful'. But it's definitely not a procession, unless you line up the grid in the order of performance to begin with.

The best thing about Prologue's AI, based on my experience with it, is it doesn't feel like the AI cars are only racing you, but are racing each other as well. I've seen the AI cars work hard at trying to block other AI cars from passing, seen them bully their way into the inside to overtake other AI cars in corners and all that. In pretty much every other racing game I've played, the AI cars seemed to be only aware of you, and treated you like you're their only opponent.

I just had a nice 10 lap race on Fuji F in Prologue with a GT-R, S2 tyres, tuned suspension --> in Arcade, Pro Physics against 15 AI. Withan AI level of 75, as set by Prologue to match my car.

Started at 8th and just managed to get into first on the last lap, beating a Viper. Average lap time was around 1:48.5. My current PB is 1:48 flat with a stock GT-R in S2 tyres, ranked about 800 or something.

I usually don't notice what the AI is doing while racing, but watching the replay, on the 2nd lap I saw the AI go 3 abreast braking into the first turn - GT-R, Art Morrison Corvette and Audi R8 - just ahead of me

I also see an Audi R8 go wide at the bottom of the track a lap later. Then another R8 tries to dive up the inside of me in the first turn braking zone.See more cars disperse down the straight, with an F40 wobbling about after doing an evasive maneuver etc etc
When my camera recharges I'll take a pic of the replay to show ya

The AI is probably better than a lot of other games IMO. You might not see everything it does in short races, but do more of them, and for longer and you will see the AI is a big upgrade from GT4 and drives far cleaner than the ones in other games.

You see videos bagging Forza 3's AI and likewise for Shift, but I don't see too many videos bagging Prologues :)

Shift

Instead of taking a pic, I made a video instead. Excuse the CRT strobing....
Strobing is due to the Sony G520 Trinitron CRT monitor I'm using. I don't see it when playing, but the camera captures scanning effect.

GT's AI is not as robotic as you think. People seem to think GT's AI all drive in lines, don't battle/overtake, swap places or make mistakes, well here is video that proves otherwise, and the full GT5 will be even better I'm sure :)

Arcade mode, 16 car race. AI level 75, default for this car. Pro physics. Started from 8th.
I'm driving the metallic grey Nissan GT-R which is a relatively easy car to drive. S2 tyres, stock power, tuned suspension and using a Driving Force GT wheel.

Starting halfway through the 1st lap

1) tuned Lotus Elise tries to dice with me at the bottom of the track
2) onto the straight - do the cars look like they're all in a straight line? :)
3) at the back, red F40 wobbles around a bit on the straight following some evasive action
4) 3 cars abreast into the braking zone at the end of the straight
5) Audi R8 runs wide at the bottom of the track
6) Same R8 tries to dive up the inside going into the first turn of lap 3

And you'll see cars changing places throughout the race

[YOUTUBEHD]Jt_oXAAJlyE[/YOUTUBEHD]

Back