Single player career : GT7 vs GT4

• Thread starter LGT42
  • 90 comments
United States
United States
For those that have played both GT4 and GT7 extensively how do you think GT7 career mode compares to GT4 career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge? I am considering purchasing a PS5 and GT7 at some point and would you to hear any thoughts you may have on the above.

Yeah, I'd also say to just wait and see. GT Sport's single player content became huge after numerous updates.

Here's hoping they sort out the World Circuits UI as well, 'cause right now, it's a pain in the 🤬.

Yeah, I'd also say to just wait and see. GT Sport's single player content became huge after numerous updates.

Here's hoping they sort out the World Circuits UI as well, 'cause right now, it's a pain in the 🤬.
I don't understand why they organised the events in such a strange way. Bring back the event hall!

Last edited:
It's probably best to think of GT7 as GT Sport 2, but with slightly more single player content at launch. It's certainly not the return to form that it was touted to be.

Kaz said he wants the game to develop over its lifetime, but doesn't seem to have realised many people won't hang around that long if the offering is so pitifully thin that there's nothing left to do. I feel like I've repeated the Le Mans race about 30 times already. Was browsing the reviews for ACC and Grid Legends yesterday...

I feel your best bet is to check out the gtplanet articles showing the events. Visit the Missions thread and keep waiting for the updates. You may be able to judge what you want to get out of this game.
As for Kaz saying this game is weighing on nostalgia and for that nostalgia to experienced by new players, GT7 is a stand alone entry in the franchise. Car collecting over any two month period. One hour races. Sprint race events. Car customisation. Creating your own race scenarios. Seems like past games, but feels different in execution.

You can get the game now. Start building your Credits and your garage or do as others suggested and wait for further updates.

With due proportions, GT4 is a game infinitely superior to GT7. Not only in terms of content, which is bigger in terms of tracks and cars, but the game design was incredibly good and fun. The word is right in GT4 there was passion!

Indeed you start kei cars or hatchbacks all the way to endurance races.

You really felt the progress.

The thing is with GT4 you can take any route to progress. Lets not forget the manufacturer events which added something to the game.

I think that GT7 when fully patched and updated towards the next couple of years will have as such single player content as GT4, or even better.... This game is basically still incomplete and rushed, which is a shame since most people want to enjoy it fully at launch time, but what gives me hope is that it will get much bigger with constant updates, so we have to be patient, sadly.

I would prefer to have a full career like GT4 with 400-600 races and many modes at launch, but since I know that the game will grow over the time I have the faith that we will get something like that at GT7 peak, until GT8 comes out.

I doubt GT8 will come before 2026, so they have a lot of time to fix, enlarge and improve GT7.

I am still disappointed by the underwhelming career mode at launch state and even in the current state, it's already getting better but we should have all that stuff already at day 1.... But since todays games deliver at half or even less content of what was originaly planned, adding the rest via DLC or updates, it doesn't surprise me anymore. The times of the complete games at launch period is over from long ago.

Last edited:
I think that GT7 when fully patched and updated towards the next couple of years will have as such single player content as GT4, or even better.... This game is basically still incomplete and rushed, which is a shame since most people want to enjoy it fully at launch time, but what gives me hope is that it will get much bigger with constant updates, so we have to be patient, sadly.

I would prefer to have a full career like GT4 with 400-600 races and many modes at launch, but since I know that the game will grow over the time I have the faith that we will get something like that at GT7 peak, until GT8 comes out.

I doubt GT8 will come before 2026, so they have a lot of time to fix, enlarge and improve GT7.

I am still disappointed by the underwhelming career mode at launch state and even in the current state, it's already getting better but we should have all that stuff already at day 1.... But since todays games deliver at half or even less content of what was originaly planned, adding the rest via DLC or updates, it doesn't surprise me anymore. The times of the complete games at launch period is over from long ago.
I think there's too big a gap to expect as much content as we got in GT4 to end up in GT7, especially at this rate, 3 cars and a pitiful number of races being added each update (so far). So we really need to see some big escallation, and soon, in the amount of single player content being added each month before we can start to hope it will ever reach GT4 levels.

At the current rate, it'll reach GT4 levels in about 8 years with 1 update per month.

That's not to say none of GT7 is better than GT4, GT7 has more car customisation, better graphics, time of day, weather, online, livery editor etc. But in terms of the structure of the game and the amount of events and races GT4 is hands down the winner.

Last edited:
I think there's too big a gap to expect as much content as we got in GT4 to end up in GT7, especially at this rate, 3 cars and a pitiful number of races being added each update (so far). So we really need to see some big escallation, and soon, in the amount of single player content being added each month before we can start to hope it will ever reach GT4 levels.

At the current rate, it'll reach GT4 levels in about 8 years with 1 update per month.

That's not to say none of GT7 is better than GT4, GT7 has more car customisation, better graphics, time of day, weather, online, livery editor etc. But in terms of the structure of the game and the amount of events and races GT4 is hands down the winner.
Yes, but it's likely that the content rate for every update will increase in next updates after the one coming next week.... It could likely get bigger like GT Sport updates in the future with 10-15 cars, more than 5 events for every update ecc ecc.

It depends by the size and the frequency of the updates in the future, of course.

If they get larger and more sizeable in the near future and be constant with time, then we can reach GT4 events content level in 4 years, right in time when GT8 might get announced.

Yes, but it's likely that the content rate for every update will increase in next updates after the one coming next week.... It could likely get bigger like GT Sport updates in the future with 10-15 cars, more than 5 events for every update ecc ecc.

It depends by the size and the frequency of the updates in the future, of course.

If they get larger and more sizeable in the near future and be constant with time, then we can reach GT4 events content level in 4 years, right in time when GT8 might get announced.
Indeed, hence the reason I said at the current rate. However, even if the rate were to increase it would still have to sustain itself for year's to reach GT4's level of content. I'd like it to,I'm just not confident it will.

Indeed, hence the reason I said at the current rate. However, even if the rate were to increase it would still have to sustain itself for year's to reach GT4's level of content. I'd like it to,I'm just not confident it will.
Well, it depends how long they will update the game, but since Kaz promised that the game will be updated for years making GT7 a live service for almost entire PS5 generation, then so I'm quite confident it will reach such level of content in the long run.

I could be wrong, but I think it's kinda likely.

I don't see the GT7 being expanded that much.. why should you do that? At least not with content that is made available to insiders... On the other hand, I can very well imagine extensions that are subject to a fee... Yes, the single player content is pretty meager... but I already have countless races that I have NOT driven, because I just don't feel like sitting in a cucumber for 30 minutes to get 10,000 credits. Also, I'm not a grinder who just runs the same races over and over again for tons of credit... (especially not when you can run those races with that Tomahawk freak). I drive CE and sport mode and I believe sport mode is what will further promote and update PD. Because the sport mode is in my opinion the mode with which zb. through the PS Plus obligation, can generate money month after month. In single player, on the other hand, there is nothing to be gained without paid DLC. So it's only logical for me if PD doesn't offer anything else here. But to be clear... I wouldn't mind another 30-40 chapter campaign in the cafe if it's worth it.

No complaints about GT7 - GT4 had a massive amount of offline race content which I'd have liked at launch but if they keep adding to GT7 I'd be happy.

No complaints about content just yet as I still have things to do that haven't been done yet but I'm slowly nearing completion.

I'm neither here nor there regarding the cafe - it does feel like a bit of a tutorial but the GT4 version was not necessarily better; people would just cheese most events because the entry requirements weren't really restrictive. "FR Event OK cool, let me just use this 700BP M3 vs a field of 150BHP road cars". Tomahawk Tokyo anyone 😛

The cafe at least tries to diversify the driving experience (whether that's welcome or not) GT7s about the driving not just the super cars. It's the reason why 100s of cars from all eras and classes have always been available since the beginning of the franchise as compared to something like Need for Spped or something which just focused on the glamorous cars. I mean I used to think 'why the hell are there about 15 skylines in GT3'... I came to appreciate that with time that this is the games DNA.

I get the cafe, whether it was integrated well or not is moot - it didn't ruin my experience personally.

Last edited:
Its behind GT Sport in terms of content, development and stability. It remain a mystery what was doing PD the last years.👀👀
Working on car interiors and trackside scenery. ;)

Regarding offline/career mode.....GT4 is an actual game, whereas GT7 is a glorified demo version of a game.
Yeah, I literally thought the menu books were just part of the tutorial and the game will open up fully after completing a few of them. But, no that's all there is to this game.

GT7 is no better as as a single player game as GT Sport was at release. And at this point in time GT Sport has a far bigger and more comprehensive single player mode.

If polyphony just released GT7's graphical and post patch physics upgrades for GT Sport, it would be an infinitely better game than GT7.

m76
Yeah, I literally thought the menu books were just part of the tutorial and the game will open up fully after completing a few of them
Going by the ending movie's "new journey" message and the fact that the events only go up to the A license, it's most likely the intention, except that we have to wait. It's also worth noting that GT3 and 5 also had two ending movies for completing the A and IA events respectively.

So they're doing the same thing here, except again, we have to wait.

For those that have played both GT4 and GT7 extensively how do you think GT7 career mode compares to GT4 career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge? I am considering purchasing a PS5 and GT7 at some point and would you to hear any thoughts you may have on the above.
Don't do it (yet). If you are buying for the SP, the current offering is terrible. It might get better in future updates

Back