Single player career : GT7 vs GT4

• Thread starter LGT42
  • 90 comments
The career mode of GT7 is not complete yet. Kaz decided it was a good idea to add to the career mode over time rather than ship it complete like GT4 and older games were. So the current ceiling of the game are the Gr.3 events, with some sparse Gr.1 events in the Missions mode.

The reason why this was done is not because the game was rushed or released too early, it's because the game is a service and if you release all you have at once then interest in the game peaks at launch and vanishes after a month. With a service, you can keep the game in the news for far longer. Racing games have all moved to this model, as did fighting games.

I'm expecting this game to have themed car and event packs in the future, but this approach is difficult to understand when there's already plenty of unused classes in the game. Contrary to popular belief, you can race the vast majority of the cars in GT7 in the events the game currently has, but the events aren't the "most proper" events, like, you can demote Gr.1 cars to 800 (without Tomahawking the car BTW) but you end up with an OP car that's too easy to win with.

Moreover, I'm not sure Kaz was expecting to see so many people obsessed with getting all the cars as soon as they could and earning lots of credits in the process. Microtransactions exist to fish for whales, not for the regular player. If you can't race Gr.1 cars, there's no reason to farm money to buy them. You can always come back later when there's more events paying good money and ways to use the cars.

If you're serious about learning the tracks and racing, though, GT7 has lots of content and legit, rewarding challenges, especially after the update that added the bonus to Circuit Experiences.

Last edited:
The reason why this was done is not because the game was rushed or released too early, it's because the game is a service and if you release all you have at once then interest in the game peaks at launch and vanishes after a month. With a service, you can keep the game in the news for far longer. Racing games have all moved to this model, as did fighting games.
Except other live service games launch with a whole lot to do and just add onto it to make it even bigger. They don't cut 50% of what they've done away just before launch, so the game at launch is threadbare and then drip feed it.

Live service games work because they ship with a lot of content from the start to get people interested and make them want even more. Not annoy customers just waiting to get the rest of the game it should have launched with, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about full price, $70 live service games. F2P games can get away with light content to start with but they still have to catch up quickly to keep people interested.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 releases on October 2012, and SCS Softwares still patches it and have upcoming paid DLCs for it. Let's see if this "live service" Gran Turismo would be THE Gran Turismo in the following 10 years like ETS2. I'm not holding my breath for GT8, as Polyphony Digital probably would reboot it again just like what we get in GT7 despite they already did THAT much in GT4, GT5, GT6, GT Sport ...

I picked up GT4 for a fresh start last month, and it still feels good. My PS3 is already dead and the server is already shutdown so it's not viable to revisit GT5/GT6, it's a pity. I remember the good times playing day/night cycle with dynamic weather on Nurburgring in GT5.

For what it worth, the current status of GT7 compared with GT4, you can say that GT7 has done (only) beginner and professional hall of GT4. You got some championships requiring up to national A license. IA/IB/S license is there to be obtained but they are useless for now. You got some pretty cars with interior and some radically reimagined classic circuits like Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and High Speed Ring. You got crazy dynamic weather and day/light cycle on select tracks, but currently you have to fiddle in custom races to enjoy them.

Get GT7 and grind for some cars while you can probably isn't a bad choice anyway ... but right now I'm more interested to finish professional hall in GT4.

Last edited:
Going by the ending movie's "new journey" message and the fact that the events only go up to the A license, it's most likely the intention, except that we have to wait. It's also worth noting that GT3 and 5 also had two ending movies for completing the A and IA events respectively.

So they're doing the same thing here, except again, we have to wait.
I know this I thread is about GT4 but to me GT5 was peak Gran Turismo. Weather, day/night cycle etc. GT6 felt a bit rushed to me but at least it felt like the full game unlike GT7

I know this I thread is about GT4 but to me GT5 was peak Gran Turismo. Weather, day/night cycle etc. GT6 felt a bit rushed to me but at least it felt like the full game unlike GT7
Same, GT5 got me hooked on online racing and it actually worked better than what we have currently. Shuffle race mode was great and after you found the good regular lobbies for your favorite tracks, you were set for months. The penalty system worked better as well, instant power cut for 10 seconds. Basically forced to give the position back.

GT5 expanded on GT4 and added so much more fun. Procedural rally races were great. Track editor was good fun. Nascar was done well and fun to use those cars around N24. Plus it had great city tracks like GT4 and full endurance races.

GT6 added to GT5 but felt more like an expansion pack while taking many things away. Plus it divided the user base braking my regular lobbies. GT6 killed the online portion for me, couldn't find a good set of regular lobbies anymore.

GT Sport's online mode was amazing in the beginning. Daily races, always full rooms, decent skill matching and people were still respectful in the first months. Yet then the whole trouble with the penalty system started which was never resolved.

GT7 took more features away, online is worse than in GT Sport, even more divided thanks to the ps4/ps5 split. With only 4 old tracks added, the content is pretty much the same. Dynamic weather is great to have back and of course better now than in GT5 and GT6, but it's still limited to only a few tracks :ouch:

GT5 was indeed the peak, it was just missing some tracks from GT4. I never understood the complaints about the standard cars, there the same as they were in GT4 after all. But PD listened and now we simply have less cars lol.

Going by the ending movie's "new journey" message and the fact that the events only go up to the A license, it's most likely the intention, except that we have to wait. It's also worth noting that GT3 and 5 also had two ending movies for completing the A and IA events respectively.

So they're doing the same thing here, except again, we have to wait.
That would be cool if this was a steam early access game, but no. It's a full priced AAA game, that nobody said is missing major features (like selling of cars), and is only 25% complete.

Eh, GT5 and 6 were alright. I didn't like the 720p resolution very much (mainly 'cause I had a 1080p display at the time) and the events weren't as exhaustive as GT4's.

However, I pretty much enjoyed Sport and GT7. GT7 just needs more events. That is all I ask, really.

You understand the definition of the word career, right?
Yes, No GT has a career mode, they are all sandbox games with no definitive objective, only conditions to be met to participate in certain events.

Seem's to me you don't understand what one is if you think GranTurismo EVER had one.

My tests in Create race show rubberbanding that can't be turned off.
My test doesn't. in fact, I proved there the car only slow down if you fall back a lap, or pass them a whole lap. Bad for endurance races, but a whole lap gain is pretty huge anyways. I have screenshots of a test i made where no matter what position I came in, cars consistently came in at the same times, and in random order pretty much debunking all the claims most of you guys make.
I also discovered that AI is really bad in some tracks with particular setups. For example, In ovals, downforce seems to slow them down a lot more than it slows me down, and they seem to be pretty stupid navigating shallow turns that can be taken much much faster , but super lethal around long turns that a human would have trouble taking at full speed without doing it a few dozen times.

I'm not done with my research though, I have yet to test the preset Gr. AI although i do know the GR. presets aren't actually random, depending on the car you pick there are subgroups ( select gr.4 with the Silvia and you will only get the Gr.4 cars added in after sport)

For those that have played both GT4 and GT7 extensively how do you think GT7 career mode compares to GT4 career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge? I am considering purchasing a PS5 and GT7 at some point and would you to hear any thoughts you may have on the above.
After playing GT4 and GT7, GT7 feels pale game with a lack of online content at the moment, I honestly think you should wait a long while like 8 to 12 months time, to see how this game pans out. Another thing is wrong with GT7 is the career mode is some what dead like GT Sport GT League was, and the online content in GT Sport was bad. I still play GT4 now compared to GT7 which I have not touch the game for over 2 week now.

Having very experience playing other Gran Turismo games over the years GT7 is a big flop to me, because it is a very poorly design game than others. You would honestly think a 2022 game called GT7 would be a better designed game than other previous GT games, but it does not come even close to being a numbered game.
It's a GT Sport 2 game with some added content, and if 7 was a real true numbered game this would have had a better career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge, in the game. PD has cut a lot of corners in this game and it should have never been that way, and that is why GT7 but I call it GT Sport 2 is getting a lot of hate for this game.

GT4 leaves GT7 miles behind when it comes to a career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge, so you should decide whether to buy GT7 or it's really called GT Sport 2 in 8 to 12 months time from now, because it may or my not be better game to buy by then.

For those that have played both GT4 and GT7 extensively how do you think GT7 career mode compares to GT4 career mode in terms of overall depth and challenge? I am considering purchasing a PS5 and GT7 at some point and would you to hear any thoughts you may have on the above.
Which career in GT7 are you talking about? I'm playing it every day since release and I've never found or seen it... 😅

Yes, No GT has a career mode, they are all sandbox games with no definitive objective, only conditions to be met to participate in certain events.

Seem's to me you don't understand what one is if you think GranTurismo EVER had one.

My test doesn't. in fact, I proved there the car only slow down if you fall back a lap, or pass them a whole lap. Bad for endurance races, but a whole lap gain is pretty huge anyways. I have screenshots of a test i made where no matter what position I came in, cars consistently came in at the same times, and in random order pretty much debunking all the claims most of you guys make.
I also discovered that AI is really bad in some tracks with particular setups. For example, In ovals, downforce seems to slow them down a lot more than it slows me down, and they seem to be pretty stupid navigating shallow turns that can be taken much much faster , but super lethal around long turns that a human would have trouble taking at full speed without doing it a few dozen times.

I'm not done with my research though, I have yet to test the preset Gr. AI although i do know the GR. presets aren't actually random, depending on the car you pick there are subgroups ( select gr.4 with the Silvia and you will only get the Gr.4 cars added in after sport)
My test was 5 and 10 laps of Dragon seaside in a Gr4 against Gr4's. The AI had clearly more pace than me on max difficulty, then without any improvement in my times, the AI slowed and I passed them.

It's not just the tiny amount of events, but the grouping of them is terrible in GT7. I'm sure it looked nice on some design document to have a map of the world with the tracks, but you can't even find the events of the same series without randomly searching menus and I imagine adding even more events to the existing chaos will only make things worse. The SP needs a total UI redesign along with adding content.

Last edited:

It's still a career format, you progress through the events that you select from a menu with them all listed and use progressively better cars as you work towards the biggest championships with the fastest cars where the career ends logically.

In GT7 you do a tiny amount of events, get sent to mostly single races at a circuit, where you get rewarded for finishing 3rd and then move on. It also ends long before you could consider it complete with no events for a huge chunk of cars.

And then your suggestion of custom races is absolutely in no shape or form a career.

Last edited:
I think that GT7 when fully patched and updated towards the next couple of years will have as such single player content as GT4, or even better.... This game is basically still incomplete and rushed, which is a shame since most people want to enjoy it fully at launch time, but what gives me hope is that it will get much bigger with constant updates, so we have to be patient, sadly.

I would prefer to have a full career like GT4 with 400-600 races and many modes at launch, but since I know that the game will grow over the time I have the faith that we will get something like that at GT7 peak, until GT8 comes out.

I doubt GT8 will come before 2026, so they have a lot of time to fix, enlarge and improve GT7.

I am still disappointed by the underwhelming career mode at launch state and even in the current state, it's already getting better but we should have all that stuff already at day 1.... But since todays games deliver at half or even less content of what was originaly planned, adding the rest via DLC or updates, it doesn't surprise me anymore. The times of the complete games at launch period is over from long ago.

I've heard this a few times now, but I haven;t come across many incomplete aaa games at launch. There are some for sure, but most have substantial content when released, but then get added to to varying degrees as time goes on. Not 25% of it and rest added over the next few years. Thats really not acceptable and shouldn't be shrugged off as 'thats the way it is' - because in my experience, it generally isn;t.

But do agree that GT7 will have loads of content further down the line...

Last edited:
B80
I've heard this a few times now, but I haven;t come across many incomplete aaa games at launch. There are some for sure, but most have substantial content when released, but then get added to to varying degrees as time goes on. Not 25% of it and rest added over the next few years. Thats really not acceptable and shouldn't be shrugged off as 'thats the way it is' - because in my experience, it generally isn;t.

But do agree that GT7 will have loads of content further down the line...
Also the key point is whilst some games might launch with thin content, that is usually because that is simply all they've got ready for the release date, it's put out too early.

GT7, on the other hand, we KNOW they had/have more content ready to go and they cut it out pre-release so that they could add in back in later. That's what really grinds on people. Just knowing that there is more content sat on the servers, locked away.

The main takeaway I have from reading these replies is that the gaming landscape has changed SO MUCH since those lost GT4 days!

Also the key point is whilst some games might launch with thin content, that is usually because that is simply all they've got ready for the release date, it's put out too early.

GT7, on the other hand, we KNOW they had/have more content ready to go and they cut it out pre-release so that they could add in back in later. That's what really grinds on people. Just knowing that there is more content sat on the servers, locked away.

Which if not held back due to bugs is simply bizarre tbh. If they thought it would somehow retain players for longer... drip feeding rather than laying most of it on a plate from day 1, it goes to show how out of touch/clueless PD are. I know they have their faults, but even if they felt that was the best approach, surely people at Sony would have some in put in it.

Its like going to a restaurant and ordering a main meal and potatoes being wheeled at first, then 10 mins later the vegetables, another 10 mins later the chicken. Rather than main course 1st, then have choice of dessert after if you want. One way is acceptable way of dividing courses, the other isn;t.

Through the use of the MTXs
There are many trophies pertaining to buying cars, for instance there's a trophy for owning 10 of the same car.

As with many F2P game, you don't strictly need to spend money to achieve, bit it helps. Same here. You don't NEED to buy credits.

However, if the comnunity actively avoids any trophies pertaining to collecting cars, the message will be sent that this type of business is not welcomed. I for one did not spend my money in order to spend more money. I bought what I thought would be a proper Gran Turismo

I’ve played around 45-50hrs of GT7 so far. Halfway through the Cafe, a couple of Missions completed. A handful of Circuit Experiences completed.

Haven’t even seriously started collecting cars (beyond prizes) and have only dabbled in tuning. This latter part I expect to take up by far most of my playtime. That could be hundreds of hours.

So yeah. GT4 was good for it’s time but is incredibly limited. I could never go back and play a title that basically copy & pasted physics and engine sounds for so many cars. There’s very little feeling of achievement unlocking an iconic Le Mans car. Because most have the same feel & sound.

Some people just want to tick off events and don’t care about authenticity or attention to detail. For me, it’s the details that matter, from the cars, to the tracks, and the weather conditions.

I’ve played around 45-50hrs of GT7 so far. Halfway through the Cafe, a couple of Missions completed. A handful of Circuit Experiences completed.

Haven’t even seriously started collecting cars (beyond prizes) and have only dabbled in tuning. This latter part I expect to take up by far most of my playtime. That could be hundreds of hours.

So yeah. GT4 was good for it’s time but is incredibly limited. I could never go back and play a title that basically copy & pasted physics and engine sounds for so many cars. There’s very little feeling of achievement unlocking an iconic Le Mans car. Because most have the same feel & sound.

Some people just want to tick off events and don’t care about authenticity or attention to detail. For me, it’s the details that matter, from the cars, to the tracks, and the weather conditions.
Agree 100%

Back