sixtoes : an automotive fine art gallery : returning soon!

• Thread starter sixtoes
  • 276 comments
Oh my word. that is an amazing set. It's a good job HDR isn't allowed in the photocomp, or you'd be winning it every week.
My favourite is the first one at the ring; it's a beautiful shot, and it's good to see someone else using the lensflare filter and using it so well. All of the others are just as much quality though, and should be in a real gallery, I reckon.

These shots are phenomenal! They look like publicity shots from the late 70s. You have captured a realistic look and feel here. I'm wiping the drool from my chin after seeing these.

wow, that Ferrari looks gorgeous! Awesome Gallery. I really would appreciate some tips from you what I could do better...Master! :)

Great update. My favourite set is the 'Ring shots, I like the sunset in them.

Grand Prix: Thanks much! That magazine feel was exactly what I was going for - maybe an old Car & Driver or something. Glad you liked it. :)
andrea: Well, I won't tell the other sets you don't like 'em as much. What they don't know won't hurt 'em. :dopey:
sems4arsenal: That shot was tricky - trying to bring in any extra light via curves brought out heavy banding, so I had to really be subtle with it. Glad you enjoyed it!
sejtur: Thanks - will do!
grrlpurple: Glad you liked it, grrl. :)
boozybloke: Well, I don't know about every week, but at least I'd stand a chance if HDR was allowed. :D I swear, if I ever do win the 2.0 competition, my theme will be HDR - if ever I win. Ugh. :irked: That first 'ring shot's grown on me since I created it - I almost went without the lens flare, but I worked on adjusting it (with a hue/sat and a curves layer clipped to it) to make it more subtle and real looking. It's gimmicky, I know, but you can get away with it now and then.
chromatic9: Thank you - seems that's the crowd favorite at the moment. :)
Cod_Father: You got exactly the vibe I was going for; I'm glad it came across! Now, about that drool... :drool:
bmxmitch: Thanks! Well, I've been working on an HDR tutorial off and on for a bit now, and should have it up tomorrow or Sunday, so hopefully you can get some good tips from that. In the meantime, I'll be sure to pop into your gallery and see if I can provide any useful feedback.
SVX: Thanks, SVX! It's tough to get anything but good shots at the 'ring when the light's right. It's actually sunrise - not that it matters, but if anyone's trying to recreate that light, it was set at around 6:00 a.m. if I recall correctly. That way, the sun is directly behind the car when you go down the long straight at the end - sunset doesn't work quite the same way... my 300SL was shot near sunset and, though it's still a good shot, the atmosphere is very different.

ALL: Well, it seems the 'ring has, once again, garnered fans. No love for Monza, huh? :ouch: It's a real shame we can't set time and weather conditions at all tracks. I've been playing around a bit with the course creator and have a sunrise and sunset layout at Eifel that could prove useful, so I'll be sure to include one or two shots in my next set from there. (One of them runs right fairly close to the castle ruins - going to have to see how I can use them.)

Also, I am still finishing up that HDR tutorial I've been talking about forever. Should post it sometime tomorrow or Sunday - it won't be here in my gallery, but I'll post a link to it from here so it'll be easy to find.

Thanks again for all the comments - if you've just stopped by for the first time, feel free to jump into the conversation... I'm always happy to answer questions or take constructive suggestions.

Good news, everyone - I've finally completed and posted my super-long, extraordinarily-detailed HDR tutorial!! Go check it out in the main Photoforum if you're interested, and feel free to ask questions about technique there.

Your 512 update is really good, alot of great shots, the tones are awesomes and great angles too. Big 👍 on the lot.

My favorite is the one featuring the 512 with a backview.

I like the dark atmosphere and heavy grain in it - looks so real and unreal at the same time, in a way I can't describe.

Thank you :)

Though I'm still - and will always be - a quality over quantity type of photographer, that doesn't mean that every shot I post will be HDR or a composite, or even Photoshopped. There are times when some raw, untouched images from GT5 will be good enough to make my cut - and tonight is one of those times.

I've entered the Photomode Competition a few times now, and I've been fortunate enough to make the poll more often than not. Of course, I've never won - I've never even been close, actually - but I've been in the game. Since, by the rules of the contest, PMC entries must be completely untouched, I've never posted my entries here in the gallery... but this time, it's another story.

I'd created a custom Toscana tarmac course, and set the time to be just before sunset (I don't recall the exact time setting at the moment, but would be happy to look that up if anyone needs it). Since the PMC theme this week was to put an Italian car on an Italian course, I decided to use this custom track - after all, I built it for photos, not racing! :)

But that left me with the dilemma of what car to use... I'd just entered an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione in the 2.0 Advanced Comp that's now up in the poll, so I didn't want to go with an Alfa. As much as I love Lambos, I knew I wasn't going to go that direction. The idea of a Lancia really appealed to me, but several of the first few entries were Lancias, so I nixed that one. Even though I knew I'd be up against a lot of prancing ponies, I decided that a Ferrari really was the right choice. I'd just shot the 512, so I thought I'd go to the other end of the spectrum and use the Enzo - I've not given it any photo treatment yet, and this would be my first attempt at photographing what I think is one of the most beautiful vehicles in the game.

I shot over 20 images - and I'd say a dozen of them were probably good enough to make my cut - but I narrowed it down to half that because that's what I always do. Edit. Then edit some more. (I wish others would try that sometime, by the way.)

Anyway, without further ado, here are six shots of the Enzo on the Tuscan tarmac. (Note: the last one is the one I chose for the PMC entry.) These are completely untouched and fresh out of Photomode, so these are all about composition and creative use of in-game options. Enjoy! :)

Very nice! All of them have great angles. Your comp entry is fantastic, too.

Very nice Enzo shots. 👍 My favourite is the second to last one with the silhouetted Enzo and the town in the background. It looks very nice with the wing IMO.

It's great to see some raw ingame photos from you sixtoes - They're really nicely done too. The first and last, in particular, stand out to me. My only dislike is the spoiler. I really don't like that Enzo spoiler. :P

The photos are great though! :D

Great shots of the Enzo - not a fan of that car's styling but looks good with a spoiler and Tuscany is one of THE best locations.

jgda9rs: Thanks; it's the first time I thought my raw shots were good enough to put in the gallery.

SVX: Thank you - it's almost hard to get a bad angle on the Enzo, especially in that Tuscan light.

grrlpurple: I'll actually have more later down the line, since I took a few unfiltered, bracketed sets in order to process them the way I usually do.

Grand Prix: That was almost my PMC photo - and if I do change, it'll likely be to that one. There's something very subtle about it - the iconic outline just catches enough light. Thanks!

Revolution: Honestly never thought I'd be posting raw ingame photos, but I think I'm finally starting to get a handle on using the ingame tools creatively. I'm fortunate that the warm filter didn't give me as much visual banding as it usually does. You know, I'd almost forgotten that I'd added the spoiler, as it looks (in my GT5-addled brain) "normal" that way now. :dopey:

sems4arsenal: Thanks, sems!

Elstro: Thanks - yeah, Tuscany is really gorgeous with the right light. I've got to use that location more, no doubt!

I'm not usually a big fan of the warm filter, but it works very well here, especially with the silhouette style shots. How you managed to keep the car looking that red with that filter I have no idea :lol:

I'm not usually a big fan of the warm filter, but it works very well here, especially with the silhouette style shots. How you managed to keep the car looking that red with that filter I have no idea :lol:

Me neither, Mog - usually, the warm filter generates too much banding and artifacting, but it worked really well with the Tuscan dusk. Combined with serious overexposure (between +2.5 and +3.5 EV), it actually had the desired effect - particularly, as you noticed, on the edges and outlines for silhouette/backlit compositions. As for the red, I was a bit surprised as well - usually, the warm filter really mangles colors. In this case, it definitely changed the color quite a bit - the Enzo is painted in Rubino Micalizzato, which has a lot more 'wine' color to it than these shots suggest. Somehow, the warm filter toned it down to what I got here. Not that I'm complaining! :D

Dolp: Thanks!
wejhvabewjty: Thanks; I'm planning on tackling some LMP vehicles soon, but will probably work on the Ferrari F1s first. :drool:
TVR&Ferrari_Fan: That was my first choice initially, TVR - I like the very graphical feel of that shot; almost logo-like. But the final one had a stronger sense of motion, so I went there. Hopefully, it won't cost me the poll (or any votes). :nervous:

Back