sixtoes : an automotive fine art gallery : returning soon!

• Thread starter sixtoes
  • 276 comments
Amazing set, I really like them, specially the sixth one, mentioned by Moglet and ragnar666. Easily one of the best shots I've seen from GT5. The sun reflection on the road and on the car, without any weird sun on the sky, PERFECT!!! :bowdown:

My next project is a little more challenging. Fellow GTPer Nlmkiii thought I might be able to do something interesting with a...

Volkswagen Sambabus. In chrome. :rolleyes:

Oh, my. :nervous:

I feel sorry for you. :P

OMG that is one of the best sets I have ever seen,Not quiet the desert Road but How you Improvised and Used the Angles with the Sunlight is a Stroke of genius .Incredible 👍

Nicknamealguem: Thanks - I just wish we could set the time on more courses... and do it in practice mode instead of having to set up a lounge run every time. :banghead:

And thanks for the sympathy on the chrome Sambabus project. Nlmkiii may have had more faith in my skills than is justified!! Still, I should have that set of shots up later today...

sems4arsenal: Glad you liked it, sems! I had originally been thinking I could use something from Laguna Seca (as some stretches have a "desert-y" looking feel), but it didn't work. Had to go with the improvised alternative - creating the same sense of isolation and distance using other visual tools. Working at sunrise/sunset is magical in real-life, so I figured it would work nicely here, too!

I've always had a hard time backing down from a challenge... this project is, I hope, evidence of that personality quirk. As I mentioned a bit back, I'd been loaned a Volkswagen Sambabus - in chrome, no less - for a shoot (courtesy of fellow GTPer Nlmkiii).

Frankly, I was hesitant - but I decided to try to have some fun with it. Instead of making it the clear subject of every shot, I decided it would just sort of... show up... in a few scenery shots in the two Swiss locations (Bern Marketplace and Lucerne's Chapel Bridge). Almost, but not quite, accidentally...

So, as I was shooting the famed Marketplace at Bern one day, I noticed something was looking at me...

Fine, you want your picture taken? Here!

Then, I traveled to Lucerne's beautiful Chapel Bridge. It seems my new friend followed me...

Just couldn't get away from it. :)

xx

I'd be remiss if I didn't include a few action shots of the Sambabus. Since most of our experience in GT5 with this... interesting... vehicle was limited to the Top Gear Test Track special event, I thought I'd recreate that - but with this chromed version. Just a small bonus - enjoy!

:lol: Fantastic Update a daunting Task but Again a Brilliant Update the last Phototravel shot is my favourite .

Tough one to shoot, was curious as to how it was going to turn out. And well looks to me like you did pretty well and did the chrome bus some justice. So I commend you on that.

Some of the photo travel shot are really nice. 👍

You know what? You managed to make the chrome paint look good and I actually love the close up one in the Siena set and in the race bonus the chrome paint looks really clean. 👍

Shidapu: thank you kindly!

sems4arsenal: It was a bit of a daunting task, no doubt. And yeah, that last shot with the bridge was my favorite from the set as well. :)

SVX: As always, sir, thank you.

Cod_Father: In the words of Captain Barbossa, "they're more like... guidelines." :lol: Of course, one must understand 'the rules' before one can break them, so I'll admit my photography IRL helps here.

GRP: It was a tough one, no doubt. I'm glad they came out nicely, but I'll freely admit I'm looking forward to something more... photogenic... this next time. :)

TVR&Ferrari_Fan: Those were two fun shots, huh? I thought it would give a really unique approach to shoot wide-angle from height in order to put a lot in frame... sort of a "where's Waldo" approach, but "where's the Sambabus"? :)

Nicknamealguem: Thanks! The closeup (in Bern, actually) was one of only two that was shot in HDR (the last Photo Travel shot was the other one). The trick with the race shots was to use clean and simple background imagery to keep the chrome looking uncluttered - Top Gear Track and other buses proved to be the best arrangement to give me that look.

sejtur: Thanks, sej!

krakozyabr: Well, I've seen some other chrome shots look alright, but I certainly appreciate the kind words. Sorry you missed the update the first time around - I think it sorta slipped under the radar this time!

ALL: Thanks for your continued visits to the gallery. I'm caught up now on 'commissioned' artwork, and will be returning now to a few shoots I've been wanting to do. First up on my list is a return to some composite images... a Mustang GT and Mach 1 are in the queue, and then it's time to tackle some classics: I'm thinking either a pair of Italians (the Alfa TZ2 and Ferrari 330) or a Brit and his American cousin (XJ13 and Mark IV). Time will tell...

Love the Challenger pics, especially the side on one with the light catching the vinyl roof and the off-road one too.

Glad to see you got those bus pics up! I have to say you've done a really good job, chrome is never going to be easy to shoot and you've managed to give it an interesting personality.

Great stuff.

chromatic9: Thanks, chromatic - even I was surprised at how the texture of the vinyl roof caught the morning light in that shot. Just shows how detailed these models really are. :)

Nlmkiii: You, sir, are absolutely right - "chrome is never going to be easy to shoot". That might prove to be one of the most difficult projects I tackle - meaning, I'll avoid anything that challenging going forward. Hehe. Glad you liked the shoot, though - after all, it's your car!

Pointguard: Thanks! I hope you stick around and see the next project, as I come back to something a little more... well, normally-painted. :crazy:

It has been FAR too long since I've updated my gallery, folks - and I hope I haven't let anyone down... :guilty: Or accidentally fooled anyone into thinking I've disappeared... :odd:

Anyway, I thought I'd post a single image tonight... but first, some back story. Last week, I'd entered the Photomode 2.0 Competition - with the Retro theme - and actually managed to score a few votes with the shot you can see in that thread (or here). But, since the rules of the contest require the use of only a single exposure, I couldn't break out my "big guns" of HDR and exposure blending. I'm still getting accustomed to the limitations of those contests (as my entries into both the standard Photomode and 2.0 versions demonstrate), but I'll get the hang of it eventually. :mischievous:

In the meantime, I thought I'd post one shot of the timeless classic Mercedes-Benz 300 SL... photographed just before sunset at the Nürburgring. Of course, since I'm not hamstrung by those rules in my own gallery, this is a blend of five exposures (-2 to +2 at 1-stop intervals). I've noticed that, when HDR doesn't produce a good result, exposure blending (or "fuse exposures" in Photomatix) can sometimes save the day.

And yes, I am working on a couple of projects for later in the week... 💡

Lovely shot - You are certainly a fan of that elevated rear 3/4 angle! And for good reason, it looks lovely with the setting sun shining on the road. And as usual the multiple exposure blending is very well done. Great work :)

Now, how's that for irony, Revo? I'm over posting on your gallery at almost the same time you're here... :odd:

I'm actually a fan of whatever angle best shows the unique shape of whatever car I'm working with, but yeah... I fell back on an old standard this time around. :guilty:

I doubt I'll work much with the setting sun at the 'ring anymore, as it seems morning/sunrise light is far more dramatic (it rises directly behind cars if they're coming down the long back straight - like in the Mark IV shots). Now, if we can just get PD to let us change the time at tracks other than CdS, Nur, and Toscana... :banghead:

Very nicely done sixtoes, you certianly are top notch with the your HDR abilities. Looks great and the early morning colours are great. 👍

Truly inspiring works, sixtoes! From composition, HDR technicality, tonal adjustment, presentation... everything is excellent!

Back