Sleepers

  • Thread starter Thread starter fupa727
  • 82 comments
  • 14,045 views
As an experiment I fully tuned a boring Honda Oddissey family van and managed to win the Japanese Championship with it. (it took some 'less than subtle' driving, but it felt epic!) :)
 
Check out the Jensen Interceptor, ugly little car that I was going to pass on, but then I noticed it's power. I bought it, rebuilt its engine. It makes 398 bhp with no mods and is all wheel drive.

+1
That "ugly" car won me a lot of races early on
 
Imho even fast cars can be sleepers depending on what kind of cars you put them up against. Example pitting a Zonda R vs Group C cars:scared:

Alfa Romeo Pebble Beach racer. Love this vintage car. Not very powerful but very light and pretty quick. Ive beaten much faster cars with it.

350z or 370z with stock weight but with 15k suspension mod, and i/e/h/f mods around 350-360hp and racing softs. What a joy to drive in the Tuner Car Championship. Not fast in a straight line but it can corner like a demon. Its a SERIOUS challenge to take down the Amuse S2k Turbo in this championship with a low level Z like this. But its huge fun especially on Grand Valley.

Mclaren F1 with aero mods[F1 LM-ish looking. Yea I choose the orange:)]. Good grief this thing is fast all around. I took out Group C cars with it enough said. Albeit with the PD AI driving the Group C cars being the main reason I won with the Mclaren lol.

Amuse 380 Superleggera. Fasst car for its power. No problem taking out cars with almost 200hp more than it. Handling demon. Bone stock it easily destroys Tuner Car Championship and I used it, modded though, to win the Super GT races. I thought I had chosen the Xanavi Z in my garage when I started the Super GT race. I use the view where you just see the dials so I didn't know I was still in the Superleggera. It was a shock to me to see at the end of the race Amuse Superleggera in the first place after first race. Couldn't believe it beat the Super GT cars. So I kept using it to finish the series. Sweet car.
 
Last edited:
Mclaren F1 with aero mods[F1 LM-ish looking. Yea I choose the orange:)]. Good grief this thing is fast all around. I took out Group C cars with it enough said. Albeit with the PD AI driving the Group C cars being the main reason I won with the Mclaren lol.

Great car, but hardly a sleeper, I would say. :sly:
 
Great car, but hardly a sleeper, I would say. :sly:

Well very true in the sense that its nasty out the box but most would hardly expect it to challenge a Group C car hence I mentioned it in only that scenario. :) Running with a Jaguar XJ9 or the newer Judd Hybride and beating them is ridiculous lol.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, but what is a sleeper?

I believe a sleeper is a car you would judge as slow and hard to lose to. And they turn out to be exactly the opposite; fast and surprising.
 
RMed and Tuned Cappucino.

It has only 133hp but can lap the 'Ring in under 8 minutes!
 
Sorry, but what is a sleeper?

Say you are driving down the road in your Ferrari Enzo and you come to a light. Pulling up next to you is, lets say a Civic. You decide to show off to the Civic guy and destroy him when the lights turn green. however as the light turns green you take off expecting the Civic to be a spec in your rear view mirror but instead he is rocketing past your 1 million dollar Enzo Ferrari and leaving you in the dust. That Civic is a sleeper because you never expected a car like that to beat a known fast car like the Enzo.

So which cars in the game have you found to be fast, either when modded or stock, that are not obviously thought of as fast?
 
Ive also heard that the BMW M5 is a great car even tho its power/weight ratio isnt anything to scream about? Anyone can confirm this?

It is an animal.
 
Sorry, but what is a sleeper?

I'm pretty sure he knows what a sleeper is. Just some of that Brit humour. He's asking because some of the posts on this thread are redefining the word by claiming sleeper status for decidedly non-sleeper cars.

I don't care what you're racing against, a Zonda R is not a sleeper. A Toyota GT-One is not a sleeper. A McLaren F1 is not a sleeper. Period.
 
Guilty. lol Point taken tts. Mclaren F1 is not a sleeper. I am quite enamored with it's speed relative to the Group C cars but it shouldn't be considered as a sleeper.
 
I believe a sleeper is a car you would judge as slow and hard to lose to. And they turn out to be exactly the opposite; fast and surprising.

Say you are driving down the road in your Ferrari Enzo and you come to a light. Pulling up next to you is, lets say a Civic. You decide to show off to the Civic guy and destroy him when the lights turn green. however as the light turns green you take off expecting the Civic to be a spec in your rear view mirror but instead he is rocketing past your 1 million dollar Enzo Ferrari and leaving you in the dust. That Civic is a sleeper because you never expected a car like that to beat a known fast car like the Enzo.

So which cars in the game have you found to be fast, either when modded or stock, that are not obviously thought of as fast?

Thanks guys 👍
Would a fully tuned Honda Odyssey count?
Or is the term "Sleeper" only for stock cars?

I'm pretty sure he knows what a sleeper is. Just some of that Brit humour. He's asking because some of the posts on this thread are redefining the word by claiming sleeper status for decidedly non-sleeper cars.

I don't care what you're racing against, a Zonda R is not a sleeper. A Toyota GT-One is not a sleeper. A McLaren F1 is not a sleeper. Period.

No, I honestly didn't know what a sleeper was.
I thought that it was a quiet car or something.
I've seen the word sleeper used in this forum many times, but never thought to ask.
 
People have said that the Renault Avantime is great fully tuned too.
Is it worth it to fully tune one?
Or should I just stick with the Odyssey?
 
The Chevy SSR '03 is a great sleeper. About 700HP fully tuned, handles great, near zero downforce so I just "Flys" over some hills. Just a fun truck in general.
 
Haven't tried the Avantime yet, but if it's any good, that would be a great sleeper. It's so ugly and stupid looking with only two doors lol.
 
The Mini Marcos is a great sleeper. I tuned mine up today and I won the GT championship race around grand valley. It's really fun to drive as well, the way the back tries to kick out as you turn in really and you can really throw it in to the corner and it just grips.
 
The A112 Abarth is the craziest sleeper in GT5. Pulls ~7:35 laps at the 'ring and owns Mugen Civic Race Cars and Golf RM's. Damn.
 
All have been said but yeah, Cuda '77, M5 '08, Lancia Delta and Motul
 
Back