Sleepers

  • Thread starter Thread starter fupa727
  • 82 comments
  • 14,045 views
The VW Lupo cup car, it seems to have endless grip and was a joy to drive on the Nurburgring with some upgrades.
 
I have a fully modded Volvo 240GLT wagon that is a hoot online. It makes 302bhp but still weights 1.5 tons so its not going to win any races. However, in a race that is restricted to say 305bhp, if you keep it clean you can get mid way up the pack.

Have been looking for other sleepers but most don't seem to make even 200bhp when modified, which means they are not going to get used much online.
 
Ive also heard that the BMW M5 is a great car even tho its power/weight ratio isnt anything to scream about? Anyone can confirm this?

Yes, i've used the. If tuned properly, the car is amazing!
 
Honda S800 RSC Race Car: diminutive two seater, has a tiny 800cc engine, but runs rings around bigger cars. I used it for a lot for the races against slower cars.
 
I am disapointed by the Lancia Delta too. I bought it for this madrid time attack but every other car i had felt being a better choice - Like Audi TTS.

For such a compact car it should be more agile in my opinion like similar cars.
 
The Pontiac Solstice surprised me, sort of, but people won't expect an American car to handle so well and it really does handle well. I'm a GM fanatic, so I expected nothing less.:p:lol: Now can someone please move this thread to the right forum?
 
The 1965 Alfa Romeo 1600 GTA is an awesome piece of kit. 240hp and only 675kg results in a car that turns on a coin and can drift around the sharpest bends when provoked. :D I've had plenty of wonderful races online with it in the sub-276hp races and show up plenty of supposedly quick machinery. :D Not to mention I can do a pretty fat standing burnout with it too. :cool:
 
Thread moved to general GT5 section.

My Audi RS6 is the perfect sleeper, up until the first corner :irked:
 
For online races with low horsepower restrictions, the Marcos Mini is a beast with the right setup.
 
I got a fully tuned audi s3 in black. Nothing to look at, but just over 400 bhp and 4wd means it suprises a few people of the line.
 
Ive also heard that the BMW M5 is a great car even tho its power/weight ratio isnt anything to scream about? Anyone can confirm this?

It is. Drove and won the Dream Cars Championship with it.

My vote for a sleeper car is Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Mäkinen edition. It's top speed is low, but this is nothing to be ashamed of as I've won races against Minolta-Sauber level of cars with it on Nordschleife (against AI).
 
I have to add what must be one of the ultimate sleepers.

The Autobianchi A112 Abarth.

At first it's just a slightly better city car. But that's only until you mod the hell out of it...
It goes from 71bhp to 207, giving it a topspeed of 240+ km/h!

Using sports hard tires in an online free run, I drove it to a 8m10s time on the 'ring.
And was mighty impressed at it's handling all the way through.
 
Mine is the Nissan skyline GTS-R (R31) Looks old and slow but when tuned boy does it fly. Also steps out at the back incredibly easy. Good beginners drift car.
 
The Samba bus does reaches a solid 200hp, great sleeper when you don't do any visual modifications to it.

The NSX-R is crazy fast for the power/weight it has.
 
i often get kicked out of 300-350bhp online lobbies
while racing my 208bhp samba bus does that count as a sleeper :P
 
Fully tuned honda odyssey , managed a 7.52 time on the ring only with power and weight tuning , no suspension nor transmission upgrades etc.. wait until I get some proper tuning for this thing.
Kids will never be late for school again
 
It is. Drove and won the Dream Cars Championship with it.

Really?!? I used if for the German races, it was a blow out, and its not even fully tuned. I was kinda disappointed, because I had no other use for the awesome ass car. I'll try that tonight.

My vote goes to the Carlton. If it wasn't for GTP, I wouldn't even know about it.
 
The Impreza Sport Wagon STi comes as a surprise to many. The RS6 Avant is also a beast. Very fun to drive too.
 
the alfa romeo 8c is kind of a sleeper... i don't see to many people with them on the forums and i just bought one for the seasonal event and its a brilliantly balanced car, very fun to drive with a slight tune (air intake, headers, etc.)
 
Has the definition of sleeper changed in the past ten years? A large portion of these cars are nowhere near sleepers...

A sleeper is a Volvo 240 Estate with a V12 under the hood that can run 7's and corner like the X1. For added sleeper-ness, you put car seats in the back.

Edit-

Like this:


Fully tuned honda odyssey , managed a 7.52 time on the ring only with power and weight tuning , no suspension nor transmission upgrades etc.. wait until I get some proper tuning for this thing.
Kids will never be late for school again


That, my friends, is a sleeper. Nobody expects a minivan to school race cars.
 
71 Mach 1 Mustang. I've entered it in races against the other muscle cars that can be race modded and given 'em a run for their money! It's a decent car and although I'm more of a "Chevy guy" it's sad that PD didn't put any race-mod 60's/70's Fords in so we could simulate the TRANS-AM Series. Yeah, I know there were other cars too but if they couldn't even see fit to put a Ford in, how could they put an AMC in? :-)

It's not exactly Subtle but the Caterham can surprise bigger cars too.
 
Searched this thread and didn't see MY sleeper in it. *phew* :D
 
Scion xB. It's top speed is hindered by its... erm... aerodynamics, but it has good pull into 4th gear, and fares reasonably well against online competition with similar restrictions. Drafting is your friend.
 
Ive also heard that the BMW M5 is a great car even tho its power/weight ratio isnt anything to scream about? Anyone can confirm this?

The M5 sticks to the road like glue, for its weight, it handles great.
 
Check out the Jensen Interceptor, ugly little car that I was going to pass on, but then I noticed it's power. I bought it, rebuilt its engine. It makes 398 bhp with no mods and is all wheel drive.
 
The Impreza Sport Wagon STi comes as a surprise to many. The RS6 Avant is also a beast. Very fun to drive too.

I host an online channel for street cars with no modding, no aids, full damage and sports hard as the best tire to pick.

Someone jumped in while I was putting miles on my R6 Avant around Laguna Seca. He picked the Cammer Mustang and we started a race. After a couple of laps of not being able to catch me, he started sliding all over the place and falling further back. I waited for him a couple of times, but he eventually crashed, then exited my channel :-(

The Rs6 Avant is a beast!
 
After doing the seasonal event with the TVR Tuscan I came away impressed and saw a lot of potential in that car. Too bad it has too much power for the 305-345hp rooms that I frequent.
 
While not a sleeper, a big surprise to me is the Toyota GT-One. It does 265 mph with no draft making it the third fastest car in the game in a straight line and it's the second fastest car I've found around Indy, beating the Minolta, FGT, Ferrari F2007 and every other race car I've tried, except the X2010.
 
The M5 sticks to the road like glue, for its weight, it handles great.

Yeah, i fully modded mine and did 6:30 on the ring. It has 780bhp and weighs 1550kg. Highly recommended! :)
 
Back