Slightly Mad Studios is Working on Its Own Console

So its a PC with custom SMS branding on the case? Just buy/build your own freaking PC. 100% flexibility in everything and can have it at your door in 4-5 business days.

Also, without knowing a price point - 60, 90, 120 or whatever the hell FPS were talked about is not going to come cheap in VR by any means- why do I get this over a custom build VR ready PC?

Last edited:
I guess I'm confused, how is that not just a gaming PC? Sure, put a custom skinned version of Linux on it and it's not exactly your standard PC, but I really doubt it's a console.

Truly mad studios. Well, if it's just as many speculate, a custom PC, then yeah you probably got a boutique offering that will see some limited success if priced ok. If it's a true console closed system you are creating what will soon be a big fancy paperweight. Wish you would just focus on simulation games and quit being distracted by shiny baubles.

why do I get this over a custom build VR ready PC?

PCs don't do a living room experience very well at all, consoles do. That's basically it and it sounds trivial, but bear in mind that this issue was big enough in Valve's opinion that it compelled them to invest a fair bit of time and money into producing a mouse-emulating controller, operating system and hardware standard, and only one of these failed to take off (the hardware standard, aka Steam Machine) so there was obviously some demand for it.

Unfortunately, SMS didn't seem to get the memo because they want to take on the bit failed, even after Valve got a slew of manufacturers on board and with their vast resources behind it. This is why I think they should just focus on making an OS, maybe sell SSDs with it pre-installed as a plug-and-play thing and let people just build or buy a gaming HTPC.

I am veeeeryy sceptical about this idea. I wish SlightlyMad success i really do. There were just to many "attempts" by smaller devs for making 4th console options all of the ended up to be total disasters.

Other problems are... Well all specs of this MadBox like 4k gaming, full VR expirience... I think this will be standard on next generetion. If XBOX X can run 4k titles, why PS5 and another Xbox won't? And i think that Sony will continue to develop PS VR on PS5... And maybe Microsoft will make something like this for Xbox?

And there is a Price thing... I dobt it will be cheaper than Sony and MS options. Ian says it will be competitive, but it needs to be cheaper if it wants to encourage somebody to invest in this.

I don't really see nothing special about this console. Especially when MadBox probably won't have game exclusives (which both Xbox and PS5 will have) I am really confused about it. I would love to see another gaming options but i just don't see success of it. I hope I am wrong.

PCs don't do a living room experience very well at all, consoles do.

They function exactly the same way. I have a PC hooked up to my TV in my living room. Besides taking like three clicks to launch a game, it's essentially indistinguishable between my PS4, Xbox One, and Switch. It functions with a controller and I can happily sit on my couch and do whatever gaming I want to do with it. It'll also do things better than any console I have since I can stream whatever media I want to it without issue.

Spy pic of the internals:

frogs in progress.JPG

I find it looks quite interesting and futuristic. What I'm wondering is what kind of games would it be able to play. Playstation, Xbox, PC? What? Would it be confined to one or the other or all?

Last edited:
Wow they weren't joking. I don't know how to feel about this to be honest. I love the project cars series and would love for them to continue to build on that and get it to where gran turismo at (in terms of popularity) because a lot of people really over look this series. I understand it has some issues and things that can be much better but it's nowhere near a bad series. I wish them the best of luck though. This kinda caught me off guard though.

They function exactly the same way.

I've been using my PC as a console since June - I remember it well because I got rid of my desk the day Wreckfest came out - and while it's definitely usable, it's a stretch to say they function the exact same way.

If you play the same game side-by-side on PS4 and PC you won't see a difference (if anything the PC version will run better, hardware permitting) and they'll be exactly the same gameplay-wise. While that is great, that's also why it's been that long since I played a game built for PC - they're hit-and-miss, mostly the latter. Meanwhile, any game you can buy on any console is guaranteed to work with the hardware and software, you can't say the same for PC, there will always be games that literally can't work with your combination of hardware, software, settings, etc. because there are infinite combinations thereof and thousands of games on Steam (and even more not on Steam).

Then there are the issues I had with Big Picture Mode that prompted me to give up and go back to desktop mode with a wireless keyboard, but those could be subjective and also the result of my own system not working properly, although I don't think so. For instance, I'm not sure if it's still the case but BPM wouldn't let me talk to my Steam friends for at least a month after the big chat update and instead told me to use desktop mode. I've also seen games fail to launch and instead show the BPM background and the web browser frequently inexplicably won't let me use the cursor until I do something specific, but I've forgotten what that is (maybe press the right stick in?).

I'll admit I mis-wrote what I meant and had intended to say that PCs were a properly awful console experience until Valve started working on improving it but they still can't compete with consoles. They may be usable, but they're not actually good compared to a true console, that's what I'm saying, and the thing is SMS's console likely won't be using Steam so they'll need to circumvent these issues all over again. That means either locking the console down to a single storefront with certified games that are guaranteed to work with their hardware (including whatever controller it'll come with), or letting people install whatever and somehow dealing with the fallout of that, as Valve has tried to do with BPM and their universal controller support.

You think multi billion dollar mega companies who have been at it for years are worried about this?

Damn right they're worried, you think the establishment was worried about Donald Trump?

They all laughed when his name was thrown around.

What if this box is priced competitively and outperforms the other consoles?
Word of mouth will take off, youtube reviews will flood in and the thing will sell itself.

Or it could all go south no one knows until we have a price point and hardware specs.

I really do dig the design 👍 But design only isn't good enough to sell a console. Still trying to see in which way they want to convince gamers and families to buy their console and how they are going to attrackt development for it? I simply fail to see but hey... I am a simple soul...

Why are they doing this?They are a dev team,then suddently they go make a console,what is this madness?
tumblr_ocqnnqSsFn1szzka4o1_500.gif

I appreciate their ambition but I cannot see myself buying this. This and the other next generation of consoles will probably cost 600-1000 dollars for me, I would rather spend a few grand on a high end PC instead.

Imo it should be designed in such a way that it can be placed vertically or horizontally. The design seems a tad impractical for a living room.

Im still really interested to see how this turns out though, good luck to SMS.

Last edited:
>Releases PC1 in a horrific state
>Announces PC2 a month later
>PC2 is STILL a broken unplayable mess 6 months later
>Announces a Fast And Furious game and horrendous looking console while their flagship game is still a mess

Im sorry but if you defend SMS for this stuff you need to find help.

Back