Slightly Mad Studios is Working on Its Own Console

You do realize that those consoles come from the established big three, right? An apocalypse could happen and the big three would be more or less fine if they hedged their bets right.

It's the small guys that come in with big aspirations whose futures are often 'questionable', because the console market has consistently proven for years that they do not want, nor really need, another console trying to vie for a slice of the pie.
So SEGA was to a big player back then and that didn't stop the dreamcast from failing and forcing them to leave the console space. No company is to big when it comes to the gaming industry and in the eyes of the consumer it can all end at a blink of a eye and Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony ain't immune.

If it's possible, it will never pan out everywhere and for everyone without deep investments into internet infrastructure and Stadia server centers dotting the globe.

I seriously doubt it will ever be "solved", as opposed to being minimized to a point that it will be less apparent to most players and in some kinds of games. Neither of which really applies to a community like GTP or the racing sims we play...
Exactly. Some people think you can program yourself out of the laws of physics. My latency towards Googles closest datacenter is 18ms, which already makes 60FPS impossible. Could this be negated? Sure, have another datacenter near my physical location. And then do that for everyone and only match people locally. 30FPS is a different story though, that gives a lot more room.

I don't think even developers with far more staff, resources and budgets such as Rockstar and Ubisoft can pull this off, let alone SMS.

So SEGA was to a big player back then and that didn't stop the dreamcast from failing and forcing them to leave the console space. No company is to big when it comes to the gaming industry and in the eyes of the consumer it can all end at a blink of a eye and Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony ain't immune.

Sega failed for particular mistakes, that none of the big 3 are making at the moment. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all had big failures that could have brought them down, but survived because of deep pockets (which SM likely wont have) and quick action. The current 3 are pretty solid.

Sega failed for particular mistakes, that none of the big 3 are making at the moment. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all had big failures that could have brought them down, but survived because of deep pockets (which SM likely wont have) and quick action. The current 3 are pretty solid.

Sega's fatal mistake was rushing out the Dreamcast as a knee-jerk to the Playstation 2 being announced thinking that people wouldn't wait it out for the Playstation 2 to arrive, which led to many shortcomings, including insufficient DRM and piracy prevention. Also, from what I remember, the dev kits where plagued with various issues that lead to a lack of killer apps to shift the console, I remember reading that it was bad to the point that Rockstar/DMA knew it wouldn't be able to handle GTA3.

Their mistakes were so bad that even the controversy of entire shipments of PS2s being faulty as a result of using external factories with poor quality control and the resulting consumer lawsuits, could derail the PS2's success.

Whoever was in charge of the Dreamcast project should go down as the Jim Herd of the late-90's console wars between Sony, Nintendo and Sega, because in the wrestling industry Jim Herd damaged WCW so fatally in the early 90's that it gave Vince McMahon/WWE a four-year head-start and not even the hottest storyline of the 90's could save WCW from what was inevitable.

Sega's fatal mistake was rushing out the Dreamcast as a knee-jerk to the Playstation 2 being announced thinking that people wouldn't wait it out for the Playstation 2 to arrive, which led to many shortcomings, including insufficient DRM and piracy prevention. Also, from what I remember, the dev kits where plagued with various issues that lead to a lack of killer apps to shift the console, I remember reading that it was bad to the point that Rockstar/DMA knew it wouldn't be able to handle GTA3.

Their mistakes were so bad that even the controversy of entire shipments of PS2s being faulty as a result of using external factories with poor quality control and the resulting consumer lawsuits, could derail the PS2's success.

The fatal mistake started with the release of 32X and subsequently the MegaCD and Saturn. insufficient DRM or piracy prevention didnt stop the succes of the PSX which was easily modded.

Sega went into the Dreamcast knowing it wasn't going to be able to hold off the PS2. They didn't expect the cool reception it got from third parties (especially EA), or that it would collapse completely after Christmas of 2000 (even though the PS2 was such a dumpster fire until around when GT3 came out that even gaming magazines were openly questioning why the Dreamcast's momentum had completely vanished); but those are both things that can traced back to SoJ's absolutely horrid mistakes starting in 1995 and still wouldn't have made the system last much longer past the Xbox and Gamecube launches. The Dreamcast's failure, and the abruptness of it, was borne out of half a decade of bad decisions that alienated everyone in the industry.

That isn't to say that the other three are completely immune to market forces through sheer momentum. Nintendo could, and probably would, have followed Sega's lead if the Wii hadn't been a success; because the N64 and Gamecube had been similar disasters to what Sega had been doing during the Saturn years stretched out over twice as much time. Microsoft has had on and off threats of shareholder revolt with the Xbox brand for years, and if they had handled the RRoD fiasco in any other way they would probably be gone by now. And no one at Sony, especially now that the company relies so heavily on SCE to prop the rest of it up, wants to remember the first 3 years of the PS3's life; where their arrogance and contempt for everyone not named Sony had them squander the grand slam home run the PS2 had set them up for. But their needs to be setup for those companies to have the doom and gloom assumptions that plague all of the smaller startups.

All three posts above accurately say why anybody who tries to show why Sega's leaving from the market is wrong if you don't have proper context.

All of this is frankly irrelevant to the fact that I certainly don't see the Mad Box succeeding in this market place - from the factors of the figurehead of it being a windbag that already has a poor record in a niche genre of buggy games and poor pad support, to the market not wanting a fourth option, as it has been proven time and time again, and maybe most importantly, considering the specs and the entire point of a hypothetical Mad Box (that is, PC grade horsepower in a console box) runs antithetical to what consoles usually are - that is, sacrificing raw power (and as such, having to upgrade every two to three years to account for better hardware) for six to eight years of relative stability and not having to worry too much about upgrading.

Whoever was in charge of the Dreamcast project should go down as the Jim Herd of the late-90's console wars.
Hey. HEY. Trickstyle was awesome. No one is ever gonna convince me the dreamcast was bad. Ecco the friggin dolphin, man. Toy commander. Hot damn, those were the days. You can play minigames on the memory card, it is the most late 90s thing in the universe and had NO flaws. None!

Hey. HEY. Trickstyle was awesome. No one is ever gonna convince me the dreamcast was bad. Ecco the friggin dolphin, man. Toy commander. Hot damn, those were the days. You can play minigames on the memory card, it is the most late 90s thing in the universe and had NO flaws. None!

The dreamcast wasnt bad at all. The 32X, MegaCD and saturn ruined Sega's reputation and the Dreamcast never had a fair chance.

Back