Slow drift cars/drifting

• Thread starter ACGreen86
  • 60 comments
United States
MI
This thread has two parts, and then I make excuses for how bad I am. First I'd like to know the communities position on slow drifting. I have been accused lately of being 'too slow' and I have been catching a lot of negativity because of it. If it is someones preferred style to drift in a slow and deliberate manner, is it really a bad thing? I'd like to know your feelings on this.

Secondly I'd like to know what cars are generally considered to be slow drift cars, and which are generally considered to be fast drift cars. I find it impossible to tell what cars are either fast or slow when it comes to drifting unless I try them all, which would take ages. I only know of two cars that are considered fast: the S2000-GTsomething? and the Viper. I would appreciate any input you have. (also the name of the S2000 sorry I don't have one so I don't know it lol)

As a bit of context for my questions, I learned how to drift over the last year using mostly slow and underpowered cars, using super soft settings (the car I learned on was the '69 Isuzu Bellet). I have trained myself into a slow style of drift, and now that I am drifting with friends and learning to tandem, I'm having problems. I have switched to the outside camera, switched to faster cars, tried to hold less angle, changed up my settings, but still I find that I am too slow. Only one of my friends can tandem with me, and I still have to lead him... I can't follow to save my own life. I guess my concern is that I'll never be able to tandem properly.

I make no claims to having any skill what-so-ever. Also I am not trying to tell people how to drift. All I'm asking for is a little advice and information.

-A humble plea from an aspiring drifter-

Basically, I came in third place in the VDC pre-season event using an 86 from '83. Slow, fast... Doesn't matter. All that matters is knowing what you want and going for it. Every car has it's advantages and disadvantages really.

Slow cars, Id consider the S chassis, the 86, Lexus IS200, BMW 330i... Basically, my favorites list.

Fast cars, I really don't like them. Viper, Corvette's, Camaro, the newest FD's, the S2K GT1 (which you tried to point out). Lexus ISF as well.

What makes a car really fast is the amount of traction it has during drifting. This comes from tuning, by the person that drives the car, BUT also the programmed aspects of the car. Weight ratio's, Tire width (yes, this is quite a factor on GT5, which I really don't like), and overall handling characteristics.

hi Green,
in most open lobbies I feel like the slowest moving thing, too, but in lobbies with good drifters, i got the average speed, so maybe it could just be that "the others" are too fast ;-) (add me if you like, so we can test that)
The slowest cars i know are the Mercedes E 190 and Silvia K's (S13) '91 (with the stock 50 80 0 LSD). A fast car might be the BMW M3 GTR, always got problems following those. And everything with wings is quite fast mostly.
see you,
Flo

Wow Gonales. I knew you were good, but that's amazing. How do you keep up with the fast cars using the 86 though? Even if I try to race with my Silvia, I can't keep up with my friend who uses a mustang.

Also what about my favorites list? Silvia 240RS, TVR V8S, Soarer 2.5, Merc 190E, '69 Isuzu Bellet.

She hasn't either. She has messed around on the London track but I wouldn't call that drifting really. Depends on the skills involved and such, you know? :)

This is a perfect example of what's fun for me.

Right now I am testing a new car for me. I like the car so I'm running it through all my favorite drift spots: Madrid Reverse section, HSR section, GVS section, Suzuka East section, Top Gear section, Cape North section, Tsukuba, Deep Forest, SS5. This is my rotation of tracks to test out a car (not in that particular order btw).

I do it all in my online lounge so my friends can join. The best part though is the car. It's a Nissan Silvia. No, not a S13, or S14, or even S15. The 1965 Silvia CSP311. It has all of about 185HP and I LOVE IT.

Last edited:
Whats a slow drift car? I dont know what slow is. I like grip and low hp, but still manage to get angle.

Slow drift car? The cars a lot of you are naming, i.e. Silvias, are pretty average to me. I would consider a classic VW or a Cappucino slow. I try to drift these cars too, but since I've changed my steering wheel, I'd have to wait until I have fully transitioned to be able to drift them again.

Some cars that Gonales mentioned, or at least the same class of cars such as exotics, are cars I have rarely seen as serious drifters. There wasn't any wow factor to them when they're used. The car's atmosphere also gets compromised when you have someone like Gonales keeping up throughout the session.

I always loved slow cars to drift with because there's this show of 'there's more to me' message going on. Not only do they pace cars that are behind you, it also challenges them to maintain a certain speed. One big plus with a slow car is that you can react quick enough when someone spins out or when there's collisions and scattered cars. It's very easy to drift through.

As dom said any car can be made faster it just comes down to tuning. I like my cars to have some sort of grip when drifting but not to the point of having a hard time when behind slower cars. Like my primary Z34, it can stay behind slower cars like the 86 or S13 and keep up with faster cars as well.

edit: Although I have to say I like tandem drifting with slower cars.

Dude drift slow drift fast if someone wants to tandem you they will get in a car to match you if not then they are probably a noob or just an a**hole so don't worry man you drift nostalgic cars me I like a bit of speed with angle due to using a wheel and crazy entries, I'm not consistent because I don't try to be drifting is about you're expression its not about racing, unless that's determined by the two in the tandem. I use the ISF and can still tandem with my teammate in his180sx. Does that mean I'm slow or he's fast no it just shows we have similar styles of driving and can match no matter what 2 cars we pair up. Drift what you like and be good at it, its not always a competition haha.

Slow... fast... kinda polemic, imo. Short tracks using some cars with +/- 250hp are compactible to go with cars near 400hp. My S13 Q (wingless) with 255hp is giving me good surprises in the last days. Also some Miatas that i see sometimes here and there...

hi Green,
in most open lobbies I feel like the slowest moving thing, too, but in lobbies with good drifters, i got the average speed, so maybe it could just be that "the others" are too fast ;-) (add me if you like, so we can test that)
The slowest cars i know are the Mercedes E 190 and Silvia K's (S13) '91 (with the stock 50 80 0 LSD). A fast car might be the BMW M3 GTR, always got problems following those. And everything with wings is quite fast mostly.
see you,
Flo

i have been using 190E and the SILVIA S13 premium and they are fast.
- The 190E is not that fast, but with the right tune and line it is a fast car that you can tandem with 300zx's and Sill80's

-The SILVIA S13 is fast, some times it have been too fast, specicaly on the track Madrid
190E full tune with a good transmition (Comfort Hard tiers ONLY)

- SILVIA S13 250HP Low turbo
Light as possibile
(Comfort Hard tiers ONLY)

Last edited:
The S13 and e190 aren't fast cars. If you tune them to be fast you're messing up their balance. Don't.

It is his car, he tunes it the way he wants. Messing up the balance or not.

Are you going to post stupid responses to every post I make? If people mess up their tune to increase speed, as only purpose... They don't deserve to be considered good drifters imo. If you disagree, your problem.

i have been using 190E and the SILVIA S13 premium and they are fast.
- The 190E is not that fast, but with the right tune and line it is a fast car that you can tandem with 300zx's and Sill80's

-The SILVIA S13 is fast, some times it have been too fast, specicaly on the track Madrid
190E full tune with a good transmition (Comfort Hard tiers ONLY)

- SILVIA S13 250HP Low turbo
Light as possibile
(Comfort Hard tiers ONLY)

I guess your right that both can be fast with the right setup. But the 190 with standard setup is quite slow, i'm always happy when i see one on track cause (mostly) they are slow and much fun to tandem with.
The '91 Silvia with stock LSD is one of my slowest drift cars, so i guess we both just have very different settings ;-)

Are you going to post stupid responses to every post I make? If people mess up their tune to increase speed, as only purpose... in my opinion, they don't deserve to be considered good drifters imo. If you disagree, your problem.

Fixed for you. c: You are welcome.

Edit: Besides, could you care to explain me why a faster cars makes someone a worse drifter? What is a drifter for you? By the way, why messed up if it is faster?

Last edited:
I think you should seperate these things

Slow drifters and fast drifters. Honestly some people here can be fast in all cars ( example fcpmarcus) , and some people can be slow in the faster cars ( obviously decoy187 lol ). Sometimes ýou cant keep up when a couple of people use a S13 or AE86, because its just tuned very good.

Look to the toyota supra, some can drift very fast with it and get good angle, and some drift it and they be 90 degrees all the time without being very fast lol.

My favourite car atm is my 330 HP RX7 GTX. I've been trying out new cars lately. I'm currently working on a a couple of cars and a slow tune for my new corvette c6, which I left completely stock at 495 HP. I just missed the car lol, haven't seen it properly for months.

The thing I like is being fast with a slow car, a car with a small/medium turbo can help you with that!

I've been drifting in gt5 since the first day i started paying online, many moons ago. And i would say that the best drifting is slow. Drifting is about style and grace, not lap times, ya know. And tandem is a lotcleaner looking at lower speeds. But, if you want to speed up, then go a step softer on tires and tighten up the suspension a bit. This and keeping your angles a little shallower and hitting moreore of a race line (i think this is key, since a drift line and a race line will vary greatly, especially in the esses) will yield a faster drift. But, imho, that takes away from good looking tandem.

Fixed for you. c: You are welcome.

Edit: Besides, could you care to explain me why a faster cars makes someone a worse drifter? What is a drifter for you? By the way, why messed up if it is faster?

You don't need to fix things, with the exact same reply as what it said. Wtf do you think the letters imo stand for? :/ I'm saying that drifting isn't about speed. Speed does not matter.

Hence, people sacrificing control, angle or actually ANYthing to get more speed, is bad. Get it?

Drifted with theonlyTantalus the other day. Learned a few things from him, and I had the best tandems I've ever run. Apparently I was all wrong in my thinking though... He was able to stay at my pace even though he had the higher HP car. It was strange seeing him chase behind me with a 400HP car while I drove a 185HP car, and again when I switched to 400HP he went to 700HP. I gotta admit though the most fun was when we both had equal cars. I had the '83 300ZX and he ran the '88 Supra 3.0. So much fun!

One of the things I learned is that you need to practice with your tandem mate a lot before you can get used to each others lines and runs. While I was chasing him, after several runs of practice, I caught myself taking his lines without realizing it. This is one of the big things I've been missing!

I haven't touched the weight balance, so what's your problem?

Well, who said anything about weight? I said balance. Which can come from springs, camber, diffs... Alot of things.

Don't make a car faster just because you want more speed. If you want more speed, pick another style of auto sport imo. A drift car should be nimble and okay to handle, not stalling out every couple of corners.

I'm planning to stick with my s13 coupe for about a couple months, just to simply get my drifting right, i think its easier to control. Then after that i will be moving onto something more Mid-range HP.

Back