Smilies

United States
Adrian, Mich.
cargorat323
CargoRatt
@Jordan Any chance you'll update/add new smilies? I ask because I see a lot of people, including me, using smilies from other sites. In all honestly and imo only, I think the smilie list is a bit old/stale and could use some updating. Just a thought while eating my morning banana.

A few cool ones.

Last edited:
I_like_it.jpg

....Thor approves.

I am considering a smiley update for the next redesign of the site; we need higher resolutions for today's high-pixel-density displays and smartphones. However, I probably won't increase the selection of smilies by much, if at all. We used to have hundreds, but too many built-in smilies makes it difficult to find the one you actually need (this is an issue I have with the emoji selection in smartphone keyboards). I narrowed down the list to faces that actually display common emotions so people can make their text more expressive, and it's worked out quite well over the years, I think.

You can still embed smilies from other sites, and I think they offer a much better home for the little guys, if there's a specific image or obscure emotion that you want to share.

I am considering a smiley update for the next redesign of the site; we need higher resolutions for today's high-pixel-density displays and smartphones. However, I probably won't increase the selection of smilies by much, if at all. We used to have hundreds, but too many built-in smilies makes it difficult to find the one you actually need (this is an issue I have with the emoji selection in smartphone keyboards). I narrowed down the list to faces that actually display common emotions so people can make their text more expressive, and it's worked out quite well over the years, I think.

You can still embed smilies from other sites, and I think they offer a much better home for the little guys, if there's a specific image or obscure emotion that you want to share.

Alright, I completely understand and thanks for the detailed explanation. :cheers:

@TB Comes with the territory. :P

I don't want the old ones to go away! :(

On my 16/9 tv, I get a row and a half of smilies. How about just a few more to fill out the second row instead of empty space?

upload_2015-5-23_11-25-11.png

On my 16/9 tv, I get a row and a half of smilies. How about just a few more to fill out the second row instead of empty space?
My phone shows almost three perfect rows. Point being if Jordan "fixes" it for your TV, he'll "break" it for other devices. And if I'm not mistaken, most visitors are on mobiles.

Is that probably the reason why the "@" symbol doesn't disappear after tagging like it does on Facebook?
No, I wouldn't think so. It's probably just the way it is. IMO the visible @ makes it clear that you've tagged someone in your post rather than just put a link to their profile. Well, that's just my guess anyway.

The @ in email addresses being replaced by an image of it, "at", {at} and the like is very much standard practice on many websites though. Not as relevant now as it was 10 years ago but it's still there. :P

TB
My phone shows almost three perfect rows. Point being if Jordan "fixes" it for your TV, he'll "break" it for other devices. And if I'm not mistaken, most visitors are on mobiles.
I'm using my phone right and it actually makes tasks over here harder for me, just saying.

I'm using my phone right and it actually makes tasks over here harder for me, just saying.
Depends on the browser you're using as well. I use Opera Mini for its superior text wrapping, but it lacks an emoji feature altogether.

Depends on the browser you're using as well. I use Opera Mini for its superior text wrapping, but it lacks an emoji feature altogether.
Using Google Chrome on my Samsung S4.

I hate the text correction, it annoys me but I guess there's must be a option for turning it off right?

Using Google Chrome on my Samsung S4.

I hate the text correction, it annoys me but I guess there's must be a option for turning it off right?

If I recall correctly, the text correction is dependent on your phone's keyboard. It doesn't have anything to do with the browser.

Reviving this thread because I have a smiley problem. Some smiley don't show. Instead I see a little square with two strange uh, drawings inside and this >>> [IM

Is it a personal pc problem or is it a GTP problem?

Back on topic; we definitely need an Irony smilie (& a Sarcasm one too). Some people don't get irony unfortunately.

Reviving this thread because I have a smiley problem. Some smiley don't show. Instead I see a little square with two strange uh, drawings inside and this >>> [IM

Is it a personal pc problem or is it a GTP problem?

Broken image icon? On which browser?

I haven't seen "[IM" show up since the issue began for me on Firefox and Chrome. Not sure what to make of anyone else suffering from this though. Given that I'm almost certain that mine is an isolated and as-yet unresolved PC issue.

Nevertheless, it's being discussed here.

Broken image icon? On which browser?

I haven't seen "[IM" show up since the issue began for me on Firefox and Chrome. Not sure what to make of anyone else suffering from this though. Given that I'm almost certain that mine is an isolated and as-yet unresolved PC issue.

Nevertheless, it's being discussed here.
Firefox.

Thanks for the link. I saw that thread but didn't know it was about smilies as well although it says so in the thread title.

To put instead of regular character '@' in an email address so that bots do not recognise it for ad purposes and whatnot.
Ah, so that is what that is for? :cheers:

Back