GIF/Smiley Loading Issues

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 63 comments

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
It's been a problem on my end since late yesterday evening. The vast majority of GTP smilies (or the whole lot of them depending on which page I'm looking at) along with all other GIFs appear to be broken.

I'm also having additional navigation issues with the last page of the Anime thread specifically, where I sometimes find myself unable to navigate from it to any other page on the site. Killing the tab works, but then I find it impossible to reach the site through my homepage without being forced to restart the browser.

Bear in mind that this isn't confined to my primary browser, though the only device that seems to be affected is my laptop. Both Firefox and Chrome suffer the same problem while IE works as normal as far as I can tell. Cache clearing and all the usual solutions that I know of haven't worked, either.

Everything appears fine on my end, and nothing has changed recently.

Can you provide some specifics on exactly which images or pages are giving you problems?

Page 1983 of the Anime Thread had been giving me issues up until about 9 hours ago. Since then I haven't suffered any of the same navigation hiccups.

The problem now is only confined to animated images and smilies. This goes for the entire forum. What's curious is that I can select about half the available smilies for use in my own posts, as well as see them normally in other members' posts. Which means these are the only GIFs I can see on GTP currently:

:D:boggled::bowdown:🤬:cheers::confused::crazy::dopey::dunce::(:indiff::irked::lol::embarrassed::sly::)👍:P:yuck::gtplanet:

Page 1983 of the Anime Thread had been giving me issues up until about 9 hours ago. Since then I haven't suffered any of the same navigation hiccups.

So this issue has spread to more than a single thread as of today. I'm getting stuck in random threads where the only solution is to restart the browser.

I've done as much as I can to root out the GIF loading problems on Firefox since last Thursday, but to no avail. Reinstalling Avast did nothing to fix it either. I just know it's confined to this one device and I'm finding it harder to use this site (and only this site) as the problem persists. Very odd.

I'm not really sure what to tell you. I just installed fresh copies of Firefox and Chrome on a virtual machine and had no issues; even the animated GIF thread loaded just fine, and there's been no change to the actual smilie files for many, many years now.

Browser add-ons might be causing the problem. Try disabling them in each browser and then visit the threads in question (or use Incognito mode in Chrome, which runs without any plugins by default) and see if that helps. It might point you in the right direction.

I seem to be having this problem too, gifs don't load, and now emoticons don't display properly. Only occurs on my desktop computer. Chrome gets the emoticons working but still not gifs.

So this issue has spread to more than a single thread as of today. I'm getting stuck in random threads where the only solution is to restart the browser.

I've done as much as I can to root out the GIF loading problems on Firefox since last Thursday, but to no avail. Reinstalling Avast did nothing to fix it either. I just know it's confined to this one device and I'm finding it harder to use this site (and only this site) as the problem persists. Very odd.

Is your Flash up to date? Whenever I get hangs at GTPlanet I normally find that Flash has gone boots-first in the background.

Browser add-ons might be causing the problem.

I tested the site out immediately after refreshing Firefox the other day. All add-ons removed and running default version 40.0. Absolutely nothing different to how it was with all the extensions installed.

I did find that disabling and re-enabling the Avast add-on would trigger some GIFs to load on random pages. But now I'm finding even more problems with each thread I visit. For example, since last night I can't check this page without every single image failing to load and an inability to leave of said page once it's attempted to load everything.

Is your Flash up to date? Whenever I get hangs at GTPlanet I normally find that Flash has gone boots-first in the background.

Flash is usually the first thing I check when something is amiss. All up to date and working fine, however.

This doesn't really bear any of the usual hallmarks of Flash-related problems from what I've experienced.

This doesn't really bear any of the usual hallmarks of Flash-related problems from what I've experienced.

YouTube videos normally kick-start Flash, if the browser stops responding (or halts execution at a certain point) then you may see those symptoms. I notice that page has a lot of images and a YouTube video.

You could check the Task Manager to see what your browser's running at, maybe also run the code inspector and see if there are any error messages that might give a clue about what your browser's doing. That page is working okay for me and I'm currently on Flakey-Fox.

It would also be interesting if you tried loading a broken image in a tab by itself (right click it and select "Load image in new tab" or its Firefox equivalent), to see if it works in isolation.

I've been having a weird issue where some .gifs show a broken image link in the thread and when I open them in a new tab (Chrome). The weird part is that I can see them fine in the reply box if I quote the post. Example
I just checked - it happens on Chrome Incognito and IE (signed out) as well.

I've been having a weird issue where some .gifs show a broken image link in the thread and when I open them in a new tab (Chrome). The weird part is that I can see them fine in the reply box if I quote the post. Example
I just checked - it happens on Chrome Incognito and IE (signed out) as well.
That's a different issue. It happens because the image is too large to be embedded (larger than 10MB - the one linked in your example post is over 30MB), and the image proxy system refuses to process it. When you quote the post in the editor, it bypasses the image proxy and loads it directly from the origin server, so you can see it.

It would also be interesting if you tried loading a broken image in a tab by itself (right click it and select "Load image in new tab" or its Firefox equivalent), to see if it works in isolation.

The URL appears in the address bar without the image. Refreshing the tag then causes the URL to disappear while the page remains blank.

Incidentally, a GIF image will load normally in the reply box if I quote the relevant post. But this doesn't work with any of the broken smilies.

The URL appears in the address bar without the image. Refreshing the tag then causes the URL to disappear while the page remains blank.

Incidentally, a GIF image will load normally in the reply box if I quote the relevant post. But this doesn't work with any of the broken smilies.
Very strange; it sounds like there's something deeper going on with your system. I would recommend running the mainline version of Firefox and Chrome (not the dev or Canary channels), though.

I've actually been using mainline version 39 since yesterday (I stopped using the latest beta version about a week ago).

GTP doesn't appear any differently to how it did when I tried mainline 40, though. I had a few niggles on a select few other sites while using 40 which is why I reverted to 39.

I know it's a long shot, but do you think your video card drivers could have something to do with the problem? With Firefox and Chrome utilizing GPU hardware acceleration so much, it may be a factor.

Fresh installs of Chrome and Firefox. Updated drivers. Updated Flash. I'm getting the same issue with gifs, but only about half of the emoticons won't load for me. Haven't noticed anything with larger gifs yet.

Edit: I'm getting the same thing now, albeit very sporadically, on IGN so if it's not an issue with my hardware, then it has to be an issue with Xenforo itself.

Last edited:
I'm getting similar issues with smileys. Haven't checked GIFs yet but Imgur is going strong here so I don't think it's an issue on my end for the GIFs at least.

You should all post screenshots of the smilies that aren't loading for you; it would be interesting to see if it's the same ones. Nevertheless, they're just plain images, so there's not much that could be going wrong.

I also just scanned the server logs. There are no records of any of the smilies not loading or returning an error, so there is definitely something going on in your browsers.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/smilies.329168/#post-10882284

Here are 2 screenshots.

1)

broken%20smilies_zpsj0drczjo.png

2)
broken%20smilies%202_zpspo6wxvpy.png

@kikie Correction. "[IM" does appear within broken GIFs on Firefox. While smilies posted in threads contain part of the text code (
eek.png
like so).

My current selecting looks like this. With fewer showing up now compared to what I've seen on average during the last fortnight:

z1pAmwX.png

Regular GIFs:

gif.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the screenshots. This is one of the more bizarre issues I've ever seen reported here. The smilies are all GIFs (animated or not), so that's one common thread, at least.

What version of Windows are each of you running?

Right-click one of the broken smilies and select "Open Image in New Tab" in Chrome, or "View Image" in Firefox. What do you see? What happens if you do a "hard refresh" by holding down the CTRL key while you hit the refresh button?

:cool::eek::guilty:💡:ill::mischievous::nervous::odd::ouch::scared:👎

Are all the ones broken for me currently on Firefox. Trying to view them does nothing in Firefox.

Can't do anything with them on Chrome either.

These are the ones not working for me on Chrome...
:banghead::cheers::confused::cool::crazy::dopey::drool::dunce::eek::(:guilty:💡:ill::indiff::irked::mad::mischievous::nervous::odd::ouch::rolleyes::scared:👎;):gtpflag::grumpy::@:

I'm on Windows 7.1 and it's fully up to date.

It opens a new tab with About:Blank in the address bar and goes no further.

Edit: This is what I get on Chrome.

This webpage is not available

ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I had been getting this error for the entire site almost on a daily basis with Chrome, which is why I am using Firefox now. I've been unable to find a fix for it on Chrome since it appears the option to disable SPDY was removed from Chrome's options.

Back